Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilguercio

Quote from: kgv5 on July 13, 2013, 11:20:38 AM
Raw recording works wirelessly (wifi) with EOS remote (although you cannot control start/stop, only iso etc, its about 15fps). H264 does't work. Seems, that camera or app doesn't treat raw recording as a movie mode or so.
There is an info on the cam screen "movie recordind is disabled when fifi is on" - disregard this :) Just turn raw on and start shooting. Sometimes this "disabled" information is visible during recording, sometimes (more often) is not. Switching between screen modes (with info button) somehow helps to remove the text.

EDIT: Important - have to set my phone screen / power saving settings to turn off the screen not after 15sec or so but much longer, depending on your shooting needs. Every time when my phone turns the screen off, it cancells monitoring and the camera just stops recording.
Yeah, this is basically my point.
If you can open LV and record some raw footage it means that WI-FI monitoring is disabled just on FW side and i guess it should be unlockable.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

1%

H264 is disabled for real when wifi is on. Just shoot in photo mode (toggle raw). Which version did screen shot die in? Just took one.

danistuta

What's the easy way to installa magic lantern on 6d? Which functions work on this camera? Thanks a lot.

ilguercio

Quote from: 1% on July 14, 2013, 07:38:40 AM
H264 is disabled for real when wifi is on. Just shoot in photo mode (toggle raw). Which version did screen shot die in? Just took one.
Yeah, i am just saying that it's not due to an excessive computational load onto the camera but because Canon does not want people to use a smartphone as an external monitor.
I can't imagine any other reason.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.

1%

The H264 encoder and the wifi chip share the same edmacs maybe... something along those lines. I tried recording video while wifi was on. It acts like it records and doesn't write. Its really kludgy to pop up that message, I think canon legitimately can't get both to work at the same time.

ilguercio

It makes more sense now.
Also, i was thinking about the 50D. It was given UDMA7 support only with the last FW update so maybe in the near future Canon will allow us to get the most out of those UHS cards. Who knows...
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.

1%

Its UDMA7? I thought it was UDMA 6.

DTSET123

QuoteAlso, i was thinking about the 50D. It was given UDMA7 support only with the last FW update so maybe in the near future Canon will allow us to get the most out of those UHS cards. Who knows...

Huh? So you think that's  a software issue and not hardware?

coutts

we're accepting patches for cf drivers if you know how to write them ;)

ilguercio

Quote from: 1% on July 14, 2013, 05:19:55 PM
Its UDMA7? I thought it was UDMA 6.
Yeah, i might be mistaken.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.

Handonam

Can we consolidate settings somewhere so we can find what people are using on their 6D? 

edit: i guess reading this side of the forum (http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5530.350) is kind of helpful.  Just had to read through all of it :)

Just trying to extract the current highest resolution for continuous recording right now. I have a feeling my card is a teeny bit of a bottleneck, and not the camera BUS itself

darkstarr

Quote from: 1% on July 11, 2013, 11:40:43 PM
The card you have is a bit weak. I think even awful on 21MB/s cameras.  But you can lower H264 settings and be ok, horrible moire aside. The configs are set up for people who want 60-100Mb/s 24/30P and 60fps is 2x the frames.

hey 1% you were right. Bought a lexar pro 90mbps and it worked like a charm (focus peaking that is, didnt try raw yet)

will be returning this card and will be buying it online instead (paid 115$ cad lol)

kgv5

With the newest builds your card should give 40-41MB/s. It is the maximum right now.
On 6D continous recording is possible with quite low resolution, 16:9 - 1344x756, 2,39:1 1536x642. If you are shooting very long takes it will look not much better or even the same like 1080p h264 in terms of sharpness. Everybody are obsessed with having CONTINOUS recording but I found shorter takes with higher resolutions very usable because:
1) i don't shoot interviews (i mean not in raw)
2) right now there is no way to trim raw clips i prefer to have many shorter clips on the card than one very long
3) in any film on this forum i have never seen takes which are longer than couple of seconds.

I am trying to plan my takes to match recording time. If I want the maximum resolution (for 2,39:1 - 1808x756 - than upscale with instantHD to 1920x800) i know than i will have 15 sec (for example i set my motorized slider to make full lenght slide in 15sec, 15sec is also very sufficient for most of crane shots) If I need 30 seconds I use 1700x something. If I want to shoot couple of minutes - well, i am using h264 with ML best encoder settings.
Other way to extend recording time is to set lower fps (and use some frame blending solution in post - like twixtor) - every frame per second less makes a HUGE difference.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

darkstarr

Quote from: kgv5 on July 17, 2013, 10:01:06 AM
With the newest builds your card should give 40-41MB/s. It is the maximum right now.
On 6D continous recording is possible with quite low resolution, 16:9 - 1344x756, 2,39:1 1536x642. If you are shooting very long takes it will look not much better or even the same like 1080p h264 in terms of sharpness. Everybody are obsessed with having CONTINOUS recording but I found shorter takes with higher resolutions very usable because:
1) i don't shoot interviews (i mean not in raw)
2) right now there is no way to trim raw clips i prefer to have many shorter clips on the card than one very long
3) in any film on this forum i have never seen takes which are longer than couple of seconds.

I am trying to plan my takes to match recording time. If I want the maximum resolution (for 2,39:1 - 1808x756 - than upscale with instantHD to 1920x800) i know than i will have 15 sec (for example i set my motorized slider to make full lenght slide in 15sec, 15sec is also very sufficient for most of crane shots) If I need 30 seconds I use 1700x something. If I want to shoot couple of minutes - well, i am using h264 with ML best encoder settings.
Other way to extend recording time is to set lower fps (and use some frame blending solution in post - like twixtor) - every frame per second less makes a HUGE difference.

cool bro,
ill be shooting mostly music videos, so i need the recording time to be at least long enough for 1 verse, so about a min or so depending on tempo
and ill mostly use an aspect ratio of approx 2.4:1 should be good for me, since most of the time im adding black bars in post anyways
but since we cant record audio yet (dont have an external recording system yet, and not sure how to properly sync)
and we cannot replay the videos in camera after its been shot correct?
this will make it hard for usage in the field, FOR NOW

but still I am extremely excited about all the recent ML developments, still wishing i would've went with the 5d3 though :p

might try a few takes here and there in raw, like B rolls

Handonam

RAW video aside, i'm happy with the ML development.  Great job guys! I'd love to donate a beer to you guys or something. haha

1%

New shutter method seems to give a much better range with FPS override. As for playing back clips, you can, in black and white. Close enough for me :)

Also... wow, a lot of the noise & dead pixels appear to be gone, holy shit. Even at 3fps.

Handonam

Do you guys think that recording black/white might make it closer for us to record 1080p RAW for a little longer?  Or, is it more since it would have to convert from color to b/w?

I'm willing to do film noir :)

oscaroo

Hey 1%.
I saw in the commit logs that
"One Percent      c9d4aef     ADTG shutter! Dual ISO soon!"

Does that mean that you think the 6d will have Dual ISO also?
If so .. Yay! YAY!

That thing with the moiring on highlights/dark areas that Alex was on about ... is that avoidable if one simply shoots at half the resolution?

1%

We'll see... REG3 moves for ISO so I have to try stuff... I just figured out addresses + shutter last night. Have to find the reg in photo mode too.

Virindi

Thanks for your work! Really excited and I hope we can also get dual ISO.

ADTG shutter, what is that? Can you dumb it down a little for people like me? :)

xNiNELiVES

I'm guessing there is only dual ISO on the newer cameras? No Dual ISO for the 5D Mark II I presume?

1%

I'll try on 50D first, it might actually be easier.

ADTG shutter speeds are set via cmos reg addresses... and from the little time I had to play with it, it fixed fps override. Need to let it run for a while and see if you still get dots/stripes etc.. but so far so good.

ilguercio

Quote from: 1% on July 19, 2013, 03:36:18 PM
I'll try on 50D first, it might actually be easier.

ADTG shutter speeds are set via cmos reg addresses... and from the little time I had to play with it, it fixed fps override. Need to let it run for a while and see if you still get dots/stripes etc.. but so far so good.
Basically, to make shutter speed NOT equal to 1/fps?
Also, do you thing there is a chance to "borrow" some pixel binning from the 5DIII?
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.

Cloud_Walker

Hi, guys.  Been a long time ML user, first time poster.

I'm not sure where to begin in this thread to find answers to my questions, so I thought I'd just ask.

1. What SD cards do you recommend, and is that the current bottleneck?  I tried RAW video and couldn't get anything for more than a second at resolutions around 1280x720 and above.  I'm using this Transcend card: http://amzn.com/B008CVHLT2.  Would the Sandisks work better?: http://amzn.com/B007NDL56A.  Or anything else?

2. When I had the build with RAW video installed, the ML menu would spontaneously close itself out after only a few seconds - quite annoying.  Had to switch it back to a previous release (glad I kept those file and their instructions on my computer!).  What am I doing wrong?
6D | 550D | 1000D

teo770

Quote from: Cloud_Walker on July 22, 2013, 10:55:58 AM

1. What SD cards do you recommend, and is that the current bottleneck?

2. When I had the build with RAW video installed, the ML menu would spontaneously close itself out after only a few seconds - quite annoying.  Had to switch it back to a previous release (glad I kept those file and their instructions on my computer!).  What am I doing wrong?

1. Forget Transcend, use Sandisk Extreme 32/64/128GB or Extreme PRO 32/64GB
2. Long time bug... When ML menu is displayed, if you don't click any button, it quits. Normal behaviour for now.

(you can record continuously only at resolutions like 1536x636 or 1600x640)
My gear: CANON 6D / 40mm f2.8 STM / 20mm f2.8 / 24-105 f4 IS / Flash 90EX / Grip BG-E13