Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

H264 probably does another resize.. or raw -> yuv unsquishes.

nandoide

Hi, time to use RAW on field: macro video for flying insects (lepidoptera, odonata, neuroptera, ... )

I've shooting compiling latest 6D sources. A resume of my configuration-equipement
   6D, of course
   canon 300mm F4L
   teleconverter kenko 1.4x
   sandisk extreme pro 95 32 GB exFat
   sandisk extreme 64 GB (exFat)  (note: no difference with pro)
   raw modes I prefer 1808x678 (2.67) or 1792x762 (2.35) at 1x or 5x and 2560x958 (5x)
   24 fps or 18fps (duplicating frames in post, no resampling in vegas, no interpolation (twixtor))
   tripod manfroto mkc3-h1

Well, I take photos and video, depending on shot conditions. It's very difficult take a long (or short) video to a flying insect, because they remain only a few
seconds over a flower (then for me a few seconds (7"-10") of RAW continuous shooting is a extraordinary gift)

Then, most of the time I take photo, but if I think I've a chance to take a video I need switch modes speedly,
reusing camera settings (focus, aperture, ..., framing and so on). And camera on tripod all the time.

My present field workflow is focus and framing with evf in photo mode, (take a photo sometimes), swhitch to video mode (perhaps another framing in 5x), and take a video.
Manual mode, shutter and aperture fixed, iso auto.

I've been in field for 12 hours, four different days. A lot of GB of raw video and photos on the cards and I can say I've no stability issue.
Perhaps one time I remember need to take off the battery. Truly very very good job!!!

I've some problems.

1) Flickering. See video. The exposure changes as the butterfly covers more or less frame surface, opening and closing the wings. ¿It's a expected result from iso auto?. These are 5x  takes.
Note: Perhaps expo override is the solution.  I need to try it more. I shot without expo override, because for that I need change my workflow (no autoiso), no valid photo configuration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=U14qXH2X-L8

2) With fps override I need to check Fast Tv, to match photo settings because this mode has the most shutter range to match my phot settins (Tv < 1/800, 1/1000, ...).
Exact FPS and low light don't have so shutter range. But Fast Tv is high jello and sometimes brings to undesirable results last shot in video (2560x958 18fps has apparent jello effect). But in previous builds I think it was
possible to have high shutters with Exact FPS or Low Light.  ¿It will be possible to have fast shutter speeds on these modes?

Best regards

sparedog

Quote from: nandoide on July 06, 2013, 09:27:10 AM
1) Flickering. See video. The exposure changes as the butterfly covers more or less frame surface, opening and closing the wings. ¿It's a expected result from iso auto?. These are 5x  takes.
Note: Perhaps expo override is the solution.  I need to try it more. I shot without expo override, because for that I need change my workflow (no autoiso), no valid photo configuration.

Yes I have had the same problem with auto iso. is is better to video using fixed iso and manual exposure/shutter

1%

FPS wasn't locked to real shutter speed previously. So you could pick whatever you wanted and there was no effect.

anciltech

Is there a way to have ML alert the user before the battery dies? I enjoy timelapses, and it would be very convenient if the camera would alarm prior to the camera shutting off. That way, the user could seamlessly change out batteries and not have to worry about the potential gap in the time lapse. Would it be possible with a third party battery that do not have the capability to report battery percentage?

Cheers!

sekhar

Many congrats to the ML team for pulling off RAW video, you guys brought on a revolution.

I'm beginning to wonder though if it's all a 5D3 thing...looks like 6D will never get 1080p RAW, for example. I'm shooting H.264 1080p with CineStyle profile on my 6D and getting decent results and am wondering if messing with lower res RAW on 6D and then up-resing is worth the effort. Any comparisons?

Sorry if this has already been discussed.

kgv5

You can see this (reply #93)

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6215.75

Shooting raw in 1600x... resolution in terms of sharpness is comparable to 1080p h264. Raw gives much more flexibility in color grading but introduces many workflow problems. 1808x756 (the highest 2.39:1 res available for 6D in 1x mode) or even 1726x724 gives more details and sharpeness. Not as much as 1920x800 though but the difference is not significant IMO.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: kgv5 on July 08, 2013, 01:14:35 AM
You can see this (reply #93)

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6215.75

Shooting raw in 1600x... resolution in terms of sharpness is comparable to 1080p h264. Raw gives much more flexibility in color grading but introduces many workflow problems. 1808x756 (the highest 2.39:1 res available for 6D in 1x mode) or even 1726x724 gives more details and sharpeness. Not as much as 1920x800 though but the difference is not significant IMO.

Do you think 1880 x 1012 is almost as good as 1920x1080?

kgv5

I think it is hard to see without putting such a footage side by side on one screen, magnyfing it 200-400% and making comparison one spot after another.
I bet 1880x.... looks almost the same (~98% of pixels), 1808x.. or even 1726x.. looks very similar (94, 90%),  just little bit softer, really not much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY-7UspVUb8

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jvewws2bsal63gc/resolution%20comparison%20HQ.mp4

PS: so maybe you xNiNELiVES have some 6D raw footage left and now you could make some similar comparison 6D and 5D2 ? Thanks

xNiNELiVES

The camera will come soon. I think depending on how quick I sell my 6D on eBay, I'll have both cameras at once. So I should be able to test... The thing is though I don't know how to edit for shit. I'll upload .RAW files here once I have em'. I'm guessing someone here has a bit of spare time on their hands and is good with After effects and premiere pro...

kgv5 I didn't know you're from Russia, pretty cool... Senior. lol

kgv5

Not from Russia, Poland.
Cheers

Good think is to upload raw files but please make them not heavier than 100-200MB each. Thanks.

kgv5

Quote from: kgv5 on July 08, 2013, 07:16:32 AM

I bet 1880x.... looks almost the same (~98% of pixels), 1808x.. or even 1726x.. looks very similar (94, 90%),  just little bit softer, really not much.

I am going to quote myself :)
I just discovered InstantHD upscaling (I know, better late than never :). With this the image is not softer anymore like it was with stock AE resizing . Now  even 1726x.... is just the same to my eyes like 1920x800 obviously except slightly different framing. It's just awesome!

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: kgv5 on July 09, 2013, 12:13:59 AM
I am going to quote myself :)
I just discovered InstantHD upscaling (I know, better late than never :). With this the image is not softer anymore like it was with stock AE resizing . Now  even 1726x.... is just the same to my eyes like 1920x800 obviously except slightly different framing. It's just awesome!

Yeah why does framing change. I've been wondering why since I've started using it.

kgv5

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on July 09, 2013, 12:53:43 AM
Yeah why does framing change. I've been wondering why since I've started using it.

because lower resolution means more crop (quality is exactly the same but the picture is smaller) and to have fullHD you have to resize it, make it bigger to fit the whole screen. Normal resizing just makes pixels bigger/stretched (which add bit of softeness) apps like instant HD makes an interpolation-simply they are adding new pixels between existing ones.

DerekDock

Hey guys, here is my first test with the 6D. I found it really unstable compared to the 60D and 5Ds.  Hopefully it will get smoothed out later. Main thing was it would think  I wanted to record RAW even if I disabled it. At least I think that is what was happening. This would prevent from recording in normal h264 or at least the data wouldn't write to the card. Other issues I had at the high ISOs of the firework footage where a ton of bad pixels and shimmering that never appeared before in RAW2DNG. Still turned out cool though and it's really short so check it out. I'm attaching my error logs.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/he6nmk8mll94k50/Archive.zip
www.vimeo.com/leftcoastdigital
www.twitter.com/derekdock

darkstarr

alright installed ML last night and there is one issue I noticed:

I'm getting error "Movie stopped recording automatically" when trying to record in 60p (all-I or IPB), tried formatting the card (exfat), works fine when ML not installed, with ML installed it drops after few seconds: focus peaking will freeze and shortly after the msg appears and it stops recording. tried with global draw off and its the same thing.

card is sandisk 32gb 30mb/s class 10
i have 2 of those cards and its the same on both.

is that a known issue?

cheers guys

1%

The card you have is a bit weak. I think even awful on 21MB/s cameras.  But you can lower H264 settings and be ok, horrible moire aside. The configs are set up for people who want 60-100Mb/s 24/30P and 60fps is 2x the frames.

QuoteI found it really unstable compared to the 60D and 5Ds

What parts? I only had 2 problem.

1. Error from modules being too big a few builds back. I was recording raw in crop mode and it kept pooping out.
2. Loaded wrong bin, I think 50D and had no use of the camera until I went home :(

xNiNELiVES

So is there much of a difference between 1x vs 3x CBR?

STELYA

I appreciate how you guys are enthusiastic about raw video but there seems to be no talk about other ffeatures of ML on 6D. Could someone tell me are functions like intervalometer ,focus peaking , magic zoom , focus stacking, audio shot etc stable on 6D and also could you point to the latest stable beta and install procedure cuz I dont want to break something... didnt care that much ehen I was on 550D .:)

Veggietech

Quote from: STELYA on July 12, 2013, 01:17:05 AM
ICould someone tell me are functions like intervalometer ,focus peaking , magic zoom , focus stacking, audio shot etc stable on 6D and also could you point to the latest stable beta and install procedure cuz I dont want to break something...

You can find instructions on how to install here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5530.msg37766#msg37766

You can find information about the various functions of ML in the manual here: http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: STELYA on July 12, 2013, 01:17:05 AM
I appreciate how you guys are enthusiastic about raw video but there seems to be no talk about other ffeatures of ML on 6D. Could someone tell me are functions like intervalometer ,focus peaking , magic zoom , focus stacking, audio shot etc stable on 6D and also could you point to the latest stable beta and install procedure cuz I dont want to break something... didnt care that much ehen I was on 550D .:)

They're stable its just that no body has tested them that much.

STELYA

Thanks guys .. will be testing asap.

ilguercio

What about the fact that the 6D disables video recording while WI-FI is on?
What's the theory behind it? I guess it's not a HW limitation but more a way to prevent videographers to use a fully functional wireless monitor when they shoot videos.
Ideas?
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

Anisotropic

Hi. Currently i have some bugs in ML.  In photo mode, mode AV when i shoot stills  in exif DPP shows me that there is exposure comensaition +1/3. On same image in Canon 6d, when i view that image shows me, that +1 compensation. But i`ve not set any compensations. In ML menu ETTR are off. Also ML can`t do screenshot, - after 10 sec blinking error70 popuped. I`ve try to on-off camera, pull ot - pull in the battery, but screenshots still shows me error 70.
(sorry for my english, it is not native for me)

kgv5

Quote from: ilguercio on July 13, 2013, 06:34:11 AM
What about the fact that the 6D disables video recording while WI-FI is on?
What's the theory behind it? I guess it's not a HW limitation but more a way to prevent videographers to use a fully functional wireless monitor when they shoot videos.
Ideas?

Raw recording works wirelessly (wifi) with EOS remote (although you cannot control start/stop, only iso etc, its about 15fps). H264 does't work. Seems, that camera or app doesn't treat raw recording as a movie mode or so.
There is an info on the cam screen "movie recordind is disabled when fifi is on" - disregard this :) Just turn raw on and start shooting. Sometimes this "disabled" information is visible during recording, sometimes (more often) is not. Switching between screen modes (with info button) somehow helps to remove the text.

EDIT: Important - have to set my phone screen / power saving settings to turn off the screen not after 15sec or so but much longer, depending on your shooting needs. Every time when my phone turns the screen off, it cancells monitoring and the camera just stops recording.