Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Did you take a raw photo and got 5568 x 3708 pixels with valid image data?

Or it just feels good asking nonsense?

The source code is available, feel free to remove any "child locks" or whatever you think it shouldn't be there...

kgv5

Sorry a1ex and other devs, I didn't want to upset you. I thought that there are some technical issues, i was just courious if there is a chance for improving, thats all...
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

a1ex

I just don't get it... since the menu goes until 3.5K horizontally, why would anyone think there are child locks at 1808 or whatever other resolution?!

The resolution is auto-detected from the image buffer obtained from Canon code. You can crop that to something lower, but you can't create pixels out of nowhere. Isn't that obvious?

xNiNELiVES

Ohhhh. So that's why... I'm guessing then the h264 1080p offered by canon is an upscale of the 1808 by x resolution? How would the 1dc create sharp 4k when it has a 18 mp sensor?

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: a1ex on July 04, 2013, 01:32:31 AM
I just don't get it... since the menu goes until 3.5K horizontally, why would anyone think there are child locks at 1808 or whatever other resolution?!

The resolution is auto-detected from the image buffer obtained from Canon code. You can crop that to something lower, but you can't create pixels out of nowhere. Isn't that obvious?

I thought this because 1% just allowed us to get 16 more pixels in one of the previous releases. It was from 1792 to 1808.

teo770

Guys, u can't be serious !

You are again talking about the last ****ing pixels from HD when, 2 month ago, we were able to shoot only 34 frames YUV422 by sequence....

Look around you, search another camera with a ML project equivalent, adding more and more features to your camera, days after days.... for free ! Look any camera firmware update to realise what ML team already gave to us...

IMO, be patient or buy a 5D Mark III...

My gear: CANON 6D / 40mm f2.8 STM / 20mm f2.8 / 24-105 f4 IS / Flash 90EX / Grip BG-E13

xNiNELiVES

My bad. Sorry I asked a question. :'(

1%

The 4k?

My theory... dunno if its right or close.

Full time 1:something crop mode, one digic takes 1/2, another digic takes 1/2 of the image height.. otherwise one digic makes the YUV and one compresses to jpeg. Some combination like that.

sparedog

Now I am confused, 5472 x 3078 divided by 3 is 1824 x 1026, not 1808 x 1018
Is this why the 6d has moire?

xNiNELiVES

Yeah kgv5 the effective pixels seem to be less than what you stated. But 5472/3 is 1824 which is higher than 1808. Of course I don't know if these extra pixels are actually usable.

@1% - Interesting theory thanks for the response. I always appreciate them. :)

1%

Don't forget the frame skips too.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: 1% on July 04, 2013, 06:30:11 AM
Don't forget the frame skips too.

I don't quite understand what you are refering to...

Also: on bitbucket you repeated the name of the newest version twice. Might wanna rename that.

nativeridge

GEAR: CANON 6D / BG-E13/ CANON 40D / 70-200 f4L IS / 17-40 f4L / Tokina 12-24 f4 / Sigma 105 f2.8 / 50mm f1.8 / 85mm f1.8 / METZ 58 AF-1 / EXT 1.4II / Manfrotto 055XPROB - 808RC4  [_O_]

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: nativeridge on July 04, 2013, 10:13:23 AM

;D

Unfortunately I have absolutely no experience with coding. I don't even know what program to use... I read the guide by audio nut but I still am left clueless. I guess I'll take a course in college lol.

sparedog

I am still having problems with auto exposure coming on when in M mode and filming at 48fps. Is there a way to stop auto exposure taking over? I want it completely manual.

To show this problem I made a quick video and stuck it on Youtube. But youtube only uploaded it at 480p, does anyone know why?
The video is shot 48fps at 634*1808, up rezed to 1080*1920 and conformed to 24fps. In real life it is sharp :)

Notice the auto exposure change at 2 seconds even though it was set to full manual in M mode
[edit] deleted video until I can sort out uploading to youtube better :(

1%

Might be ACR, it shouldn't be changing expo at all.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: 1% on July 04, 2013, 07:01:26 PM
Might be ACR, it shouldn't be changing expo at all.

I've had this problem before. You have to turn on exposure override. Autofocus makes the image temporarily brighter to allow itself to focus better. With exposure override this won't happen which then leads to worse autofocus in low light. In bright areas it's the same. The camera used to also expose itself automatically even without autofocusing... Nevertheless exposure override does the trick.

sparedog

Thanks I will try exposure override.

The youtube problem is bizarre, never happened on anything else I´ve uploaded

With zoomed in mode, is it possible to fps overide to 48fps, it only seems to record at max 30fps?

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: sparedog on July 04, 2013, 08:31:21 PM
Thanks I will try exposure override.

The youtube problem is bizarre, never happened on anything else I´ve uploaded

With zoomed in mode, is it possible to fps overide to 48fps, it only seems to record at max 30fps?

I believe it was tested a month ago and I think it turned out to not be possible.

sparedog

And I dont want to bash a dead horse, but would it be possible to have an option to set our own custom resolutions, one that isnt standard? Say, for example, I am designing something like an art installation and I want to make a video of exact dimensions, 118x956 - (an example not the exact specs of what I want to design), would this be possible one day in the future? I would like to be able to type in the height and width to suit my project.

or I could crop, i suppose, but I am trying to get the maximum out of the 40bps record limit issue

sparedog

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on July 04, 2013, 08:41:39 PM
I believe it was tested a month ago and I think it turned out to not be possible.

Big shame, as there is virtually no moire or jaggies in my tests. Looks really nice, just wish i could over crank it =D

1%

Custom res is possible just a bit annoying to merge with current raw source. Plus picking it via pixels would be time consuming when you just need 720P or something.

No overcranking in zoom mode except a few fps, otherwise image collapses, etc.

sparedog

Quote from: 1% on July 04, 2013, 11:24:59 PM
No overcranking in zoom mode except a few fps, otherwise image collapses, etc.

boo hoo, the difference zoom mode makes is huge
1st shot, test for real world filming conditions, no zoom mode - unusuable, moire everwhere
2nd shot, test to induce extreme moire conditions, zoom mode - no moire

[edit] deleted video until I can sort out uploading to youtube better :(

Remind me, I am being dense, but do you know why LV does squash the 50/60fps footage? Thanks :)

1%

Its a resize and not a crop :(

sparedog

Quote from: 1% on July 05, 2013, 12:52:58 AM
Its a resize and not a crop :(

Do you know if this is also happening when recording 720/50/60 in h264?
I dont get why canon decided that the lv feed needs to be squishy only for fast fps, after all the sensor is 3;2, right?