Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: 1% on June 28, 2013, 10:00:00 PM
Its 1 frame of raw, in the shoot menu. Used to be shots of 422

Can you create a timelapse feature in the silent picture section. Using fps override with raw video doesn't allow us to:

1) Can't shoot full res.
2) Only allows 1/48 shutter, not long shutter speeds for night time lapses.
3) Have an easy way of delaying shots. There should be a delay setting just like the time-lapse feature already implemented into ML.

Maybe you could just insert the silent pic timelapse option in the timelapse section.

-------------------

I've noticed you've fixed the issue when the last picture in an image sequence was pink/artifacty. Nice job.

One last question: What does the new extra hacks option do?

1%

You can time lapse with the silent pics using intervalometer. Also you can do fps override with the problems you said... same problems as H264.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: 1% on June 28, 2013, 10:07:22 PM
You can time lapse with the silent pics using intervalometer. Also you can do fps override with the problems you said... same problems as H264.

Ok. Oh well then :-\

----------------

Getting a bit of color artifacting on my carpet in my room. Just letting you know. Would you like to see the dngs?

1%

Plain old intervalometer with silent pic takes care of 1+2+3 tho.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: 1% on June 28, 2013, 11:33:15 PM
Plain old intervalometer with silent pic takes care of 1+2+3 tho.

Ok I used the silent pics option. I couldn't find a way to set the picture quality/resolution. It says the picture format is a 14 bit dng. This is fine but it only shoots 1808x11-something. Where do I find the options to modify this? Also is there a way to take pictures by pushing down the shutter button all the way? Not a half click.

1%

Turn on intervalometer + silent pic it takes a full sized pic by itself. In zoom they will be whatever zoom is, 2k, 3k? * 10XX res. That is as tall as we go I think.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: 1% on June 29, 2013, 01:29:30 AM
Turn on intervalometer + silent pic it takes a full sized pic by itself. In zoom they will be whatever zoom is, 2k, 3k? * 10XX res. That is as tall as we go I think.

So I can't choose any other format. I can't shoot even 1080p at 1x, and the only way I can shoot anywhere higher resolutions I have to shoot in 3x mode.

1%

Before this it was silent pics which were way smaller. If you turn on the raw module it may clip the silent DNGs to whatever size you pick but dunno if it works with intervalometer. Otherwise shoot H264/RAW/Photos. Same for every other camera.

teo770

Quest for speed, act II:

This morning, i received 2 new SD cards and i can now recommand the BEST SD card for the 6D (in my case).

I tested every card formated exFat in a USB3 card reader with ATTO software.
Lots of benchs but one very important: 2048MB file read/write (numbers are the same with 4096MB files)

SANDISK Extreme PRO 32GB (95MB/s) => Read: 89.677MB/s  Write: 76.983MB/s
SANDISK Extreme 128GB (45MB/s) =>  Read: 49.765MB/s  Write: 42.881MB/s
LEXAR Professional 64GB (600X) => Read: 85.488MB/s  Write: 26.951MB/s
LEXAR 64GB (200X) = > Read: 45.420MB/s  Write: 34.195MB/s
TOSHIBA EXCERIA Type2 64GB (95/60MB/s) => Read: 88.690MB/s  Write: 64.839MB/s

The Sandisk Extreme PRO is just the best, as i expected but is, for now, limited to 64GB and cost a leg ! The extreme version costs lots less but... we could be limited speaking of RAW video recording... one day.

The LEXAR PRO is.... very disapointing in term of writing speed...

This TOSHIBA card is very promizing and in my opinion gets the best price/performance !!
With a write speed of 64+MB/s, we could get a lot of room to let ML grab some more MB/s !!!

Next episode: all those cards recording Raw... how long can they record... ??

Edit: Damned ! In camera, the Toshiba doesn't handle high writing speed as good as the Sandisk Extreme PRO....
At the end, it's a good 64GB card but.... not enough for raw video ! On the distance, the Sandisk Extreme PRO seems to handle better raw video by allowing about 10% more recording time.

For now, we are stucked with Sandisk !

My gear: CANON 6D / 40mm f2.8 STM / 20mm f2.8 / 24-105 f4 IS / Flash 90EX / Grip BG-E13

DerekDock

Quote from: teo770 on June 29, 2013, 02:54:56 PM
Quest for speed, act II:

This morning, i received 2 new SD cards and i can now recommand the BEST SD card for the 6D (in my case).

I tested every card formated exFat in a USB3 card reader with ATTO software.
Lots of benchs but one very important: 2048MB file read/write (numbers are the same with 4096MB files)

SANDISK Extreme PRO 32GB (95MB/s) => Read: 89.677MB/s  Write: 76.983MB/s

What kind of results did you get in camera? I picked up an Extreme pro 32 a few weeks back to be my go to RAW card so I'm glad to hear you are finding it was the right purchase. Now just crossing my fingers for the price on the 64gb to drop. I am hopeful that the variable buffering in conjunction with the 6Ds highspeed buffer and the Sandisk pro we might start seeing some 1080 records around 12-20 seconds.
www.vimeo.com/leftcoastdigital
www.twitter.com/derekdock

kgv5

Quote from: teo770 on June 29, 2013, 02:54:56 PM
On the distance, the Sandisk Extreme PRO seems to handle better raw video by allowing about 10% more recording time.

So what maximum write speed did you get? I have sandisk extreme 45mb/s, with the newest build and 1808x756 res I am getting 40,2-40,7. Did you get more than that with Sandisk 95?
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

1%

Also with display timers off completely before LV. Any difference between pro and 45MB/s in camera after a few records like this? GD off @ rec, etc.

Theoretical on the sandisk in a PC is 42MB from that.. the pro doesn't have this limit.

teo770

32GB Sandisk Extreme PRO (95MB/s): video mode, all hacks activated except preview Canon, disp timers disabled before LV

1600x670 40.1MB/s: 1m20, 1930 frames till drops
1600x680 40.4MB/s: 1m12, 1500 frames till drops
1664x666 40.4MB/s: 1m01, 1400 frames till drops
1792x750 40.4MB/s: 15s, 400 frames till drops
1808x756 40.5MB/s: 15s, 400 frames till drops
1808x770 40.3MB/s: 14s, 280 frames till drops

Make me wonder.... with the ultimate card (this Sandisk 95MB/s), it always displays 40.xMB/s in every resolution....
How is calculated this speed ? It is writing speed to the card (out of buffers) or the speed used to feed the buffers ?

Re-tested the Toshiba EXCERIA with ML benchmark, it seems non stable concerning writing speed...
I don't have those jumps from... 22.5MB/s to 40.7MB/s while testing the card with ATTO on PC... only happends in the cam....
I'm testing with files of 2048MB and 4096MB.... same result. Strange.
There's also another thing: Toshiba Exceria, Lexar Pro 600x, lexar 200X .... are all SDXC cards... The sandisk extreme pro is SDHC...
Still this PC50 PC104 thing....

My gear: CANON 6D / 40mm f2.8 STM / 20mm f2.8 / 24-105 f4 IS / Flash 90EX / Grip BG-E13

1%

It calculates what is going to the card from the buffers.

Does it get any better with LV hacked out?

On the sandisk 45MB/s the fastest I've seen is 41MB

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: DerekDock on June 29, 2013, 06:34:02 PM
What kind of results did you get in camera? I picked up an Extreme pro 32 a few weeks back to be my go to RAW card so I'm glad to hear you are finding it was the right purchase. Now just crossing my fingers for the price on the 64gb to drop. I am hopeful that the variable buffering in conjunction with the 6Ds highspeed buffer and the Sandisk pro we might start seeing some 1080 records around 12-20 seconds.

Yeah I already can except you have to be in 3x mode. I don't understand why though, the cameras processor is just as powerful as the 5D3s...

Well 12-20 seconds of 1920x720.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: 1% on June 29, 2013, 09:14:12 PM
It calculates what is going to the card from the buffers.

Does it get any better with LV hacked out?

On the sandisk 45MB/s the fastest I've seen is 41MB

After using my extreme pro the fastest I've seen is 40.7. I haven't taken any benchmarks via the debug page, so I don't know if it can go any higher.

1%

Normal writing, not benchmark.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: 1% on June 29, 2013, 10:26:49 PM
Normal writing, not benchmark.

Ok. That 40.7 mb/s was from canon framing mode btw...

Yeah my card fluxuates a bit. Right now it's getting 40.5mb/s even with hacked2.

csoller

Hi, anyone tried samsung's pro seris sdhc card yet?

I just bought one of these: http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MB-SGBGB/AM

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: csoller on June 30, 2013, 03:01:55 PM
Hi, anyone tried samsung's pro seris sdhc card yet?

I just bought one of these: http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MB-SGBGB/AM

Yeah I believe it was tested a while back by a member here. From what I remember it performs the same as the SanDisk extreme. All of these cards do, unless of course we remove the bottlenecked hardware in the camera to remove the 41mb/s limit.

1%

I have a samsung 40MB/s.. it only does 29-30. Don't hold your breath on their pro cards. It is well built tho, unlike other faster cards.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: 1% on June 30, 2013, 05:46:34 PM
I have a samsung 40MB/s.. it only does 29-30. Don't hold your breath on their pro cards. It is well built tho, unlike other faster cards.

Wow that's pretty bad. I don't know why everyone keeps searching for a better card. The SanDisk extreme pro blows anything out of the water. The only way any card could give it a run for it's money is buy purchasing a card with similar specs. Not one that had a 30mb/s lower specified write.

dlang

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on June 30, 2013, 07:09:09 PM
Wow that's pretty bad. I don't know why everyone keeps searching for a better card. The SanDisk extreme pro blows anything out of the water. The only way any card could give it a run for it's money is buy purchasing a card with similar specs. Not one that had a 30mb/s lower specified write.
The problem is that when used on the 6D the SanDisk extreme pro does not blow anything out of the water, it doesn't preform noticeably better than any other card. nothing is doing better than around 40MB

now, there may be some advantage in that if you pull the card out of your camera it takes less time to read things from the card on your computer.

But for purposes of capturing raw video it's not any better than other cards.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: dlang on July 01, 2013, 12:31:58 AM
The problem is that when used on the 6D the SanDisk extreme pro does not blow anything out of the water, it doesn't preform noticeably better than any other card. nothing is doing better than around 40MB

now, there may be some advantage in that if you pull the card out of your camera it takes less time to read things from the card on your computer.

Yeah, I know... My point was that the SanDisk extreme pro kills anything so nothing can perform better in camera. A community favorite to max out the cameras right speed is the extreme series card.

DerekDock

Quote from: dlang on July 01, 2013, 12:31:58 AM

I've found the Pro much more reliable when it comes to corrupt frames and such. So maybe it's the extra speed of the card that is helping the buffer refresh?
www.vimeo.com/leftcoastdigital
www.twitter.com/derekdock