remove the lens
turn the cam back on
press LV button (mirror goes up)
slide VAF filter in
turn cam off
put the lens back on

that's it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYmL53LzURI

Can't it break the camera if you take pictures with the filter in?

If not do pictures come out alright?

Veggietech

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on June 19, 2013, 07:02:38 AM
Can't it break the camera if you take pictures with the filter in?

If not do pictures come out alright?

I don't think you can take pictures with the filter.

Naito

I tried to use the DotTune process last night but it doesn't seem to work, just tells me to "press Info to try again".  Am I doing something wrong or is it not working yet?

noisyboy

Quote from: kgv5 on June 19, 2013, 06:05:58 AM
If you have any request regarding some short test footage (something vs something) just tell and I will make it next week. I can than upload it via dropbox or something because YT compression kills a difference mostly in things we are interested in.

DUDE! You are my new bezzie :D I've been hassling Mosaic Engineering for ever about actual providing me with some decent comparison footage so I could buy one of the damn things (they are clearly not that bothered about selling them ha!).

If you could just shoot something you know is gonna be a problem ie. busy water, a bricked wall in the distance, telephone/power cables, trees with LOADS of leaves (far off enough for the moire to be visible) then that would be IMMENSE and I'll love you for ever! ;)

Also, having some footage with no sharpening added and then some with an unsharp mask of say 60% and 1.1 would be cool to compare too :)

kgv5

Will do  :) Give me couple of days and I will post the links to my dropbox.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

kgv5

Quote from: Veggietech on June 19, 2013, 12:05:42 PM
I don't think you can take pictures with the filter.

mirror stays blocked in the upper position but you can take pictures. Unfortunatelly they are blurred because filter was designed to work with line skipped image, not the whole sensor. There is also a problem with sharpening via zoom mode - zoom mode changes line skipping so the filter cannot work properly and in the end zoomed picture is also blurred. You can search for the less blurred focus ring position - it would give you sharp picture when zoomed 1x but it is not comfortable to use. These are drawbacks but you get better picture quality in the end product and this is the most important thing.
oh, one more thing, the filter is changing focus distance, for example in tokina 11-16 infinity without filter is where infinity mark is (when you are turning focus ring). With the filter infinity is much closer (i dont remember exactly but say on 1-1,5 meters mark or so). Its not a big issue, i can live with that.

Veggietech

Quote from: kgv5 on June 20, 2013, 12:04:58 AM
mirror stays blocked in the upper position but you can take pictures. Unfortunatelly they are blurred because filter was designed to work with line skipped image, not the whole sensor.

Ah, okay! Thanks for clarifying.

kgv5

Quote from: noisyboy on June 19, 2013, 05:38:19 PM
DUDE! You are my new bezzie :D I've been hassling Mosaic Engineering for ever about actual providing me with some decent comparison footage so I could buy one of the damn things (they are clearly not that bothered about selling them ha!).

If you could just shoot something you know is gonna be a problem ie. busy water, a bricked wall in the distance, telephone/power cables, trees with LOADS of leaves (far off enough for the moire to be visible) then that would be IMMENSE and I'll love you for ever! ;)

Also, having some footage with no sharpening added and then some with an unsharp mask of say 60% and 1.1 would be cool to compare too :)

ok, I am going to use the non destructive workflow AE-Pr for my tests but which codec do you guys think I should use for final output (from premiere): h264? what mbps: 40, 60? I would like the footage i will create to be usefull for people interested in buying the filter.

noisyboy

Amazing - thanks bud :)

Are you planning on putting on Vimeo or just sharing a file? Either way a decent bitrate mpeg4 h.264 should surfice.

Thanks again!

1%

Afma was working... haven't tested it recently, don't think anything changed.

noisyboy

Dude is variable buffering implemented in the latest 6D module yet?

Edit: In fact looking at dates  I guess not yet :) No worries 8)

1%

It is. and the hack on don't click me. It writes longer at high res.

noisyboy

Ahh - sweet! That'll keep me occupied tomorrow then  8) Cheers man!

kgv5

Quote from: noisyboy on June 21, 2013, 12:18:21 AM
Amazing - thanks bud :)

Are you planning on putting on Vimeo or just sharing a file? Either way a decent bitrate mpeg4 h.264 should surfice.

Thanks again!

I think sharing is the only way (dropbox or something). I will record short 4-5 sec clips second to reduce size but retain max quality.
I have very busy weekend but I think I will do this till next wenesday.
cheers

fotojohni

I'm looking over some footage I shot last year on the 5D mk2, almost every shot @ iso 1600 is marred by checkerboard noise patterns in the shadows.  So, 6D + bitrate override = way better for like 80% of all shots.  Get pumped!

Can't wait to see what you get kgv5!

teo770

1%, what's behind this "don't click me" function ???

Cause without it, i can record 2.15 min @ 1600x640-24p
And with... 5,35 minutes !
My gear: CANON 6D / 40mm f2.8 STM / 20mm f2.8 / 24-105 f4 IS / Flash 90EX / Grip BG-E13

noisyboy

Quote from: teo770 on June 21, 2013, 11:02:38 AM

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6662.0

8)

Malcolm Debono

Some issues I'm having with ML on the 6D:

- Set button sometimes gets 'disabled' in ML menu (you cannot switch options on/off as it does nothing)
- ML menu randomly quits (back to live view)
- Quick options (which allow you to change kelvin, ISO etc on the fly using directional keys) appear randomly (for example when starting recording)
- Picture style name appears when starting/stopping recording

Is there any way these can be tackled? I know that this build is intended for developers, but it would be handy to have one which is stable enough for day to day use (doesn't need to have raw and modules), especially when my 2nd body (5d2) has ML loaded.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

noisyboy

Quote from: Malcolm Debono on June 21, 2013, 01:39:19 PM
Some issues I'm having with ML on the 6D:
Yeah - drawing issues are just things we've (certainly I anyway) have just gotten used to as I think there was a problem with it quitting out every 5 seconds unless you keep moving around the menu that couldn't be resolved (might be wrong on this - maybe I misunderstood). Pain in the arse I know but it's certainly better now than it was. It was something I kept meaning to ask 1% anyway but I know his hands are mad full at the min :)

Would be much nice to use when/if it gets resolved though!

About to take the new hack for a spin! Can't wait :)

1%

The don't click me is the dialog timer hack.

QuoteSet button sometimes gets 'disabled' in ML menu (you cannot switch options on/off as it does nothing)
- ML menu randomly quits (back to live view)
- Quick options (which allow you to change kelvin, ISO etc on the fly using directional keys) appear randomly (for example when starting recording)
- Picture style name appears when starting/stopping recording

Do you have set button remapped to something else, maybe in canon menu... its never done that to me.

ML menu quits when dialog in the background times out.. a1ex did this by design.

Quick options, yeah... sometimes the double click must be triggering at record start. Have to check on this.

I think picture style names appear if you have rec picture style enabled. I'll check  what happens without it.

Its this version, not repo version you're using, right?

noisyboy

Quote from: teo770 on June 21, 2013, 11:02:38 AM

I don't know if it's working correctly for me as I still only get about 2:20 when recording at that res and frame rate. That is with Canon Preview, Memory hack on (with Raw in canon menu of course), Framing forced left and I had selected Don't Click Me...

Hard to tell if Don't Click Me has done anything though as nothing happens on screen :)

This is all with "The Hacks" build. A couple other problems I had was when I dragged the contents of the Modules folder in the zip to my SD card and had overwritten the old files, I put it in my camera and it wouldn't start (Err70), so I had to completely delete everything within the modules folder and now it contains only the files from within the new build and not bolt rec etc...

Is this normal?

And other problem was that I ended up with a problem where whenever I exited the ML menu, I ended up not being able to record and all the drawn stuff had gone although if I pressed the shutter and took a still it would go back to normal again but then if I'd film and then go back in to change settings, the same thing happened again when I exited the menu. I appreciate that this is a shit example of bug reporting so I don't expect anything to happen with this until I see it again (as after a battery pull the problem went away) but just thought I'd post it incase anyone else has the same problem so we know whether or not it's a one off :)

1%

Its bolt rec, new build doesn't have it, you probably had it left over from older builds.

You have to don't click me before you open LV. Then second record should be faster... on CF cameras this is dramatic, sd cameras we were already writing like 38 and now writing 40ish so not a huge jump.

noisyboy

Ah okay cool - I'll have another go thanks.

Just thought I'd mention I added a bit more to my previous post which you may or may not be interested in. If I replicate the problem I'll report back.

Malcolm Debono

Thanks for the info guys. Is this build the latest one? I'll re-download and test it out thoroughly tomorrow as I've got some time off  :)
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

noisyboy

Quote from: 1% on June 21, 2013, 03:03:50 PM
Its bolt rec, new build doesn't have it, you probably had it left over from older builds.

You have to don't click me before you open LV. Then second record should be faster...

Forgive my stupidness but if I'm in movie mode already - live view starts as soon as I power the camera so not sure how I can do that dude? Other than swithing to photo mode first?