Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

+1.

Also, disabling Canon stuff without fully understanding what's going on, can be dangerous. I've learned it the hard way (completely bricked my 60D, soft-bricked my 5D2 and a tester's 5D3 and so on).

noisyboy

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: a1ex on June 17, 2013, 05:21:04 PM
+1.

Also, disabling Canon stuff without fully understanding what's going on, can be dangerous. I've learned it the hard way (completely bricked my 60D, soft-bricked my 5D2 and a tester's 5D3 and so on).

What does soft bricked mean? Never heard of that lol. Anyways can you guys leave the option available to allocate extra memory with the loss of canon features?

a1ex

soft brick = something that took only 2 hours to unbrick :P

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: a1ex on June 17, 2013, 06:53:09 PM
soft brick = something that took only 2 hours to unbrick :P

Oh, I thought bricks were permanent...

kgv5

Bug I think, quite annoying in fact

1. [113] ETTRModduleConfigSave - after shooting raw when I want to record h264 (with encoder settings bit rate off, initQP off, flush rate auto, GOP24, autoload override, config select rate control) sound recording sometimes (quite often) goes completely off (stock audio meters shows zero sound). You have to go to canon menu "sound recording" - it is enabled of course but you have to click it once more - now h264 sound is ok.

2. [113] ETTRModduleConfigSave saves config very nicely but I noticed it doesn't save "start delay" - it's always 2 sec on start, would it be possibe to save 0ff, 2, 4, 10 etc?

3.[6D]DontLoadAllModules - I make everything like with previous builds but almost every time when I turn the cam ON (movie mode) I get err70 right away. Bin is in root, modules in the right folder as usual  :-\
What does this build gives? I assume more memory, does it give any increase of raw performance?

Thanks
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

oscaroo

Gday.

Any updates on the 113 fir?
Ta.

1%

Coutts made one.. it didn't work.

I'll check on H264. It disables audio when flush rate is set to something. Maybe there is a bug with auto. On the latest don't load bolt_rec and you shouldn't get a crash.

I just put bvram into shoot_malloc, I didn't really disable anything. That is what makes those canon features not run.

When flush rate is changed it disables audio.. I'll try to acount for audio but i you flip it around it will disable sound as it applies changes immediately.

kgv5

Quote from: 1% on June 18, 2013, 03:27:54 PM
On the latest don't load bolt_rec and you shouldn't get a crash.

Yeah, setting bolt_rec to off (via photo mode) solved the start-up err70 issue.
Quote from: 1% on June 18, 2013, 03:27:54 PM

I'll check on H264. It disables audio when flush rate is set to something. Maybe there is a bug with auto.
When flush rate is changed it disables audio.. I'll try to acount for audio but i you flip it around it will disable sound as it applies changes immediately.

Yes I remember, I didn't touch flush rate setting (always on auto), just turn the cam on, audio meters are working,  shoot some raw (audio meters obviously are dead during raw recording), than raw off (audio meters dead) , shoot h264 - no sound (audio meters still dead) - so going to canon menu - checking - sound IS MANUAL - back to h264 - sound ok. I am having this every time now ([113] ETTRModduleConfigSave)

EDIT: I have just discovered that entering the canon menu, doesn't matter which tab, activates sound again (audio meters works).

1%

I think beep also undoes sound recording... if you have raw_rec set to beep anyhere it will kill the meters till audio redoes itself.

I shrunk bolt rec, changed over DM/TP so all should be well now, have your cake and eat it too.

a1ex

DM/TP? these are hacker modules, not for end-users...

1%

DM log can be useful to anyone to diagnose an error tho.

TP log, yea not so much.

a1ex

TP log is quite dangerous. It hooks directly in the property task and pretty much all other Canon tasks that send messages.

DM log will flood the CPU with processing all those debug messages (of course, if enabled). In LiveView it can't run without disabling a bunch of them, at least here.

They were written for developers to understand how Canon firmware works; they are not designed for the end-users (not even as diagnostic tool).

1%

Runs fine in LV.. but I had taken TP log out a bit ago because of uselessness. Right now everything should be good from now on since I shrunk bolt_rec don a bit and these issues should be gone so everyone has the stuff they want canon or otherwise.

Gobian

Cool 1%, and thanx. Will that be in the next build?
[SIZE=1]6D | 550D | Canon f4/24-105mm IS USM | Canon f4/70-200mm USM |Canon f1.8/85mm | Canon f1.4/50mm |Tokina f2.8/11-16mm |

oscaroo

Yay 1% Yay!
I love cake. Nomnomnom

noisyboy

Quote from: 1% on June 18, 2013, 11:26:04 PM
Runs fine in LV.. but I had taken TP log out a bit ago because of uselessness. Right now everything should be good from now on since I shrunk bolt_rec don a bit and these issues should be gone so everyone has the stuff they want canon or otherwise.

Nice 8)

dmg09

I'm not sure how in depth this stuff is. But I was looking into Moire on the 6D and I saw this post on the downsampling algorithm that the 6d uses as opposed to the 5d3 and I was wondering if this was something that could be addressed in  a magic lantern build or not. Here is the quote I found on it.

"The 5D3 is, when cropped from 3:2 to 16:9, is essentially a QFHD sensor -- exactly 4 times the size of standard 1080p HD. The reason it looks good in 1080p mode is because the camera only has to combine 4 pixels into a single pixel (pixel binning). This is the exact same thing the C300 does to look so good. The 1DX has a smaller sensor that isn't a simple multiple, but it has very powerful processors to downsample in a high quality way. The 6D has a smaller sensor but doesn't have the processing power to downsample correctly (presumably) so Canon just throws out various lines to create the smaller image. It's less processor intensive but results in interference patterns. That's why the 5D3 looks great with moire, the 1DX looks almost as good, and the 6D still has the same problems that the 5D2 had.If it turns out that the processor is strong enough to downsample properly, it could possibly be adjusted in a firmware update that rewrites the downsampling algorithm. Is it likely that Canon will do that? I'm not counting on it."

Just a thought. Thanks for all you guys do.

noisyboy

Quote from: dmg09 on June 19, 2013, 04:42:50 AM
I'm not sure how in depth this stuff is. But I was looking into Moire on the 6D and I saw this post on the downsampling algorithm that the 6d uses as opposed to the 5d3 and I was wondering if this was something that could be addressed in  a magic lantern build or not. Here is the quote I found on it.

"The 5D3 is, when cropped from 3:2 to 16:9, is essentially a QFHD sensor -- exactly 4 times the size of standard 1080p HD. The reason it looks good in 1080p mode is because the camera only has to combine 4 pixels into a single pixel (pixel binning). This is the exact same thing the C300 does to look so good. The 1DX has a smaller sensor that isn't a simple multiple, but it has very powerful processors to downsample in a high quality way. The 6D has a smaller sensor but doesn't have the processing power to downsample correctly (presumably) so Canon just throws out various lines to create the smaller image. It's less processor intensive but results in interference patterns. That's why the 5D3 looks great with moire, the 1DX looks almost as good, and the 6D still has the same problems that the 5D2 had.If it turns out that the processor is strong enough to downsample properly, it could possibly be adjusted in a firmware update that rewrites the downsampling algorithm. Is it likely that Canon will do that? I'm not counting on it."

Just a thought. Thanks for all you guys do.

Lol - was just staring at a shot I did with my 6D and weeping at the moire. I do wonder how much of what we are seeing is subject to crazy debayering though. Thanks for the quote though. Where is this from by the way?

dmg09

Quote from: noisyboy on June 19, 2013, 04:51:24 AM
Lol - was just staring at a shot I did with my 6D and weeping at the moire. I do wonder how much of what we are seeing is subject to crazy debayering though. Thanks for the quote though. Where is this from by the way?

I got the quote from the Canon Rumors forum. I know Mosaic makes an AA filter for it, but it's like $370. Which would be worth it, but if there is a better way to fix it then I would much rather save my money.

kgv5

Yeah, It's definetely worth it.
I know, that the price makes the price difference between 6D and 5D3 much smaller but right now I cannot change, I have my 6D couple of months now, I was buying it before all the raw stuff appeared so it was very good decision then and selling it now doesn't make sense.
With this filter you can sharpen the picture much more without any color artifacts. I have it couple of days, still lack of time to make a proper comparison but I think it's brilliant.
If you have any request regarding some short test footage (something vs something) just tell and I will make it next week. I can than upload it via dropbox or something because YT compression kills a difference mostly in things we are interested in.

dmg09

Quote from: kgv5 on June 19, 2013, 06:05:58 AM
Yeah, It's definetely worth it.
I know, that the price makes the price difference between 6D and 5D3 much smaller but right now I cannot change, I have my 6D couple of months now, I was buying it before all the raw stuff appeared so it was very good decision then and selling it now doesn't make sense.
With this filter you can sharpen the picture much more without any color artifacts. I have it couple of days, still lack of time to make a proper comparison but I think it's brilliant.
If you have any request regarding some short test footage (something vs something) just tell and I will make it next week. I can than upload it via dropbox or something because YT compression kills a difference mostly in things we are interested in.

What is the install like on that filter? That was one of my reservations about getting one. I don't want to open up my camera.

kgv5

Turn the cam off
remove the lens
turn the cam back on
press LV button (mirror goes up)
slide VAF filter in
turn cam off
put the lens back on

that's it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYmL53LzURI

dmg09