Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscaroo

Quote from: ckstoa on June 14, 2013, 05:16:40 AM
THANK YOU!!
using magic lantern with canon 6D, there's problem transfering files when using Wi-Fi option. is there any updated or revised version for that?

Gday.

I'm using version "[113] Check4Regression.zip"
In that version I'm having no issues xferring files with wifi through DSLR Controller on Android, or the computer, or the canon app.

If you really want wifi over whatever improvements have occurred since, you can use that version in the meantime.

1%

New versions wifi monitoring works but I didn't test file transfer.

teo770

Bug: (since NR multi available in video mode i think)
Very often, but not always ! in C2m Mode, powering on the camera directly in video mode, when loading modules, camera crashes.
But no ML crash log, and it's probably a Canon crash. Need to pull out the battery.
My gear: CANON 6D / 40mm f2.8 STM / 20mm f2.8 / 24-105 f4 IS / Flash 90EX / Grip BG-E13

ckstoa

Quote from: 1% on June 14, 2013, 07:35:57 AM
New versions wifi monitoring works but I didn't test file transfer.

ASSERT: FALSE
at RscMgr.c:2920, task InnerDevelopMgr
lv:0 mode:2

Magic Lantern version : v2.3.NEXT.2013Jun13.6D113
Mercurial changeset   : de82482a9951+5fe5e30b455a+ (unified) tip
Built on 2013-06-14 00:19:01 by user@D610.
Free Memory  : 445K + 1458K

T.T... WiFi transfer is still not work.. in "[113] ETTRModduleConfigSave.zip" and "[113] Check4Regression.zip"

I'm installed ML references for noisyboy's guide.. ( http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5530.0 )

Is this correct way?

What am I going to do..?

I don't know about that matter well.. help me..

1%

Ok, will investigate. Will have to try some smaller memory usage... canon really doesn't like using shoot_malloc for bvram mirror.

Question is:

Do you want more canon crap working or modules working? Wifi transfer actually the first "usable" feature that gets turned off.

I think memory usage is getting a little excessive though as I had a crash in raw_rec zoom mode today. So no more O3 for modules and maybe O2 for bin.

*if you !need! wifi transfer now just hold set at boot and magic off.* The wifi transfer is to EOS utility or what. I've yet to set this up, have just used the phone app.

STELYA

Just to send support and gratitude from malual-lens photographers / videographers in my area, we were usng/supporting ML on 550d and now we all got 6Ds and cannot wait for release... Thank you Alex. If I understood there is semi-stable release out there for 6D but I cant seem to find the link ? Any idea how close are you to stable release ?
Will keep supporting 6D progress as this is one amazing camera.
Cheeres guys. sorry for off-topic :)

1%

Well it does seem like a choice between canon and modules. I "sometimes" can get them loaded without using malloc but usually not. I'd like to put an option in the menu but I think menu choices load after bvram is allocated.

ckstoa

Quote from: 1% on June 16, 2013, 02:49:38 AM

*if you !need! wifi transfer now just hold set at boot and magic off.*

OH!! Thanks!! I didn't got that turning off the magic with set button by now cause i'm such a loser.....T.T

problem solved. thx for the help.

sparedog

Do you want more canon crap working or modules working? Wifi transfer actually the first "usable" feature that gets turned off.
for my vote, switch all canon stuff off, and see how much we gain, then we can turn back on some of the canon stuff if the gain isnt worth it.
we can always boot with ml off when we need those features =D

oscaroo

Whoa whoa.

So ... what "modules" are there available now?
Is it still raw rec + file browser? or are there more now?

And, are you guys proposing disabling canon functionality so that modules can be loaded? like rawrec+filebrowser? Is the canon-killing to actually load the modules? or to only allow the modules to be loaded? Ie, will my loved canon features be dead even with no modules loaded?
If so .. that's crazy man!

I myself, have no interest what so ever in raw rec.
As such, I don't deploy raw rec with ML onto my 6d.

Thus, it would be "unfair" for my camera to then be "crippled" for canon functionality and to require me to switch off ML when I want wifi or whatever other features have been disabled.

Also, boot with MAGIC OFF sometimes is unreliable. It seems that the camera poweroff process sometimes takes a bit longer and if I turn on while it hasn't finalised then I can't activate magic off, etc. Then also, ML appears on power-on from sleep (from sleep timer+shutter button) even though it was magic-offed from power-on (switch). Which is annoying.

On a separate note, is there any manual on how "raw zebras" work? On my, admittedly old version, they look just like normal zebras, so I don't know if they're actually working.

I'm scared to upgrade to a newer ML since there's talk of wifi-whatever not working.

a1ex

According to this chart, 6D has plenty of free memory, so there's no need to use ugly hacks and disable Canon functionality.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgQ2MOkAZTFHdFFIcFp1d0R5TzVPTVJXOEVyUndteGc#gid=2

You don't have to use -O3 unless you really like wasting memory.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: sparedog on June 16, 2013, 01:02:59 PM
for my vote, switch all canon stuff off, and see how much we gain, then we can turn back on some of the canon stuff if the gain isnt worth it.
we can always boot with ml off when we need those features =D

I second this, if we wanted the canon features we can boot without ML.

1%

I went down from O3 already but there isn't enough free memory to load modules and have bvram_mirror in allocate mem. Ideal solution to make everyone happy would be to chose where it loads via config file. But I think config loads after bvram is already initialized.

Its not that it disables the features as much as image processing features, ie transfering files, converting files, etc  require a completely empty shoot_malloc for some reason.

3600K - bin - bvram leaves about 1800K... I load modules (raw rec+fileman+boltrec+picview+ettr) and I get a nice fat memory crash. I think the modules still reserve 2x the mem they need, they aren't even optimized anymore. You *can* load maybe raw_rec by itself or something like that.

3600K - bin *no bvram* leaves over 2MB and you can load all modules + dm log and have a good time.

I've used file man and pic view + ettr tons of times.. I've used WFT, raw->jpeg, like 0 times... but everyone is not me. And like someone said above they never even used raw videos.

So I don't want to have to fire off 2 bins per release nor inconvenience people who need these features. Also don't want to have to re-build every time I need a DM log. Need to find a way to make it an option.

oscaroo

1%

A mirror of the graphics stuff. I think BMP vram.

noisyboy

Quote from: 1% on June 17, 2013, 01:50:40 AM
So I don't want to have to fire off 2 bins per release nor inconvenience people who need these features. Also don't want to have to re-build every time I need a DM log. Need to find a way to make it an option.

Sounds like a pain in the balls to sort out dude so massive thanks if you manage to get it working like that someday. Would def be a nicer way of doing it, not just for yourself and the extra work in making double the builds but also in terms of having to keep swapping cards out for different bins on a shoot. I must admit that even though I want as much performance out of raw_rec as pos, it seems a bit counter productive to do it at the expense of killing ML completely if you want to do anything else with it (if we went that extreme with the hacks). Lol - I'm probably the only one here that likes the idea of wifi monitoring and raw_rec working together properly :p Call me old fashioned but I actually like to light a scene sometimes and being able to adjust lamps while monitoring from the screen on my ipad/iphone and not going back and forth to the camera would be massively helpful. It works a treat on photoshoots!

What about having like a "master" hack menu item that you can enable/disable and then you can "Q" into that submenu and enable/disable individual hacks that you want but the enabled hacks are all controlled by the master hack parent?

Haven't upgraded my modules for a while so appols if this is already working like this...

(ps. feeling the Supertroopers reference!)  8)

a1ex

TCC uses 150K and the modules are even smaller. So if you have 1800K free, the problem is somewhere else.

1%

Why do I get a memory.c assert then? I load only a few and its fine.

I made a zip with where canon stuff is working and you can pick and chose what to load... betcha its the huge number of bolt_rec scan lines.

Next will probably go back to canon broken and I'll try to figure out a way to make it a setting somehow.

a1ex

In what task? You can replace AllocateMemory with your version and keep track of calls, print how much each task allocates, how much is free and so on.

Back then I had memory assert errors because ML was overwriting some Canon data structures, so the movie recording task was trying to allocate 20MB or so with AllocateMemory...

1%

Like this:

ASSERT: FALSE
at ./Memory/Memory.c:187, task module_load_task
lv:1 mode:3

Magic Lantern version : v2.3.NEXT.2013Jun15.6D113
Mercurial changeset   : 57cd362ac2f5+ (unified) tip
Built on 2013-06-16 01:40:27 by user@D610.
Free Memory  : 445K + 1676K

Yea, its bolt rec, otherwise it loads. No DM/TP logging though.

a1ex

Bolt_rec is huge (~500K) and should be optimized.

1%

In the bolt_rec for 550D thread I think it was found to use way too many scan lines.

a1ex

Possible, also MAX_WIDTH seems a bit too big; it seems to be pixels, so 2000 should be enough... unless you have a 6K camera :D

Also I recommend allocating that big matrix dynamically, otherwise TCC will allocate double size.

1%

Still kills debug intercept but I guess that can switch over to shoot_malloc.

Naito

Question is:

As much as I can see the benefit to getting the extra memory available for new ML features, I think one of the most important things about projects like this and CHDK is that they are SUPERSETS of features the cameras come with by default, and they don't require a sacrifice of the cameras' stock features in order to work.

Even in the ML FAQ it says:
QuoteDoes Magic Lantern completely replace Canon firmware?

No. Magic Lantern runs from the card, as an add-on over standard firmware. You will still be able to access all Canon functionality.
(emphasis mine)

So I would put in a vote for "keep all stock features working, no matter how pointless they may seem to some users" to keep in line with the "add-on" ideology.