Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teo770

Quote from: 1% on June 06, 2013, 03:25:25 AM

If we find the SD controller we could at least see what the next model up does... btw 208mhz strings are not in the firmware so the camera would have no clue about even using the higher write speed.

I presume u already know this page:
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/11/a-peek-inside-the-6d
My gear: CANON 6D / 40mm f2.8 STM / 20mm f2.8 / 24-105 f4 IS / Flash 90EX / Grip BG-E13

shdster

One more guess... maybe there is a way to save data by the USB port ? It should have 60MB/s if it is 2.0 standard, so it is also interresting. Maybe we could connect external SD card or some kind of drive? I know that problem will be in drivers and software to save via USB... but it's worth to look into it :)

teo770

with update: [113] ETTR-MemDontclick.zip
Photo mode, High iso to multi NR
Exp override, FPS override, global draw off

1536x656 (2.35): 7.5GB, 4500 frames, 3.12 minutes till frame drops

With framing force left, even better:
1536x656 (2.35): 8.7GB, 5300 frames, 3.40 minutes till frame dropts

My gear: CANON 6D / 40mm f2.8 STM / 20mm f2.8 / 24-105 f4 IS / Flash 90EX / Grip BG-E13

Virindi

I don't mean to sound like a broken disc lol but can't we do anything to improve separate wav audio?
I can record at 39MB/s video but less than 29 with separate wav.
It can't be write speed, the wave files are tiny compared to RAW files. Is it too much work for the processor or something?

kgv5

Quote from: sparedog on February 11, 2013, 03:46:54 PM
Yay, Mosaic Engineering has now released it´s anti-aliasing / anti moire filter for the Canon 6D, the VAF-6D.

I´m going to get one in a couple of weeks and test it out

Sparedog, do you have VAF-6D? I am very interested in it, seen couple of tests and looks very good IMO but I would like to hear about it from the actual owner. Is picture with this filter comparable with the one from 5D3?

VAF-6D owners - please give your honest opinion  :)
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

1%

Quote[113] Today.zip crashes a lot Err 70.

What error is it?

Quotehttp://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/11/a-peek-inside-the-6d

No closeup of SD chips.

For audio, not really. It will take CPU + write.. when it dumps the wave every X times the edmac write is slowed down.

teo770

Quote from: 1% on June 06, 2013, 05:40:19 PM
What error is it?
Sorry, my mistake !
Photo mode, Global draw off, override exp ON, override FPS 24
1536x656 (2.35): 8,5GB, 5200 frames

Some trouble on 2nd or 3rd recording somtimes. The LV button is getting his function back (LV)
I never get 255MB buffer in video mode. If coming from photo mode, always trun in Busy state

teo770

Quote from: 1% on June 06, 2013, 05:40:19 PM
For audio, not really. It will take CPU + write.. when it dumps the wave every X times the edmac write is slowed down.
IMO, audio is really a non issue for now...
You NEED to go on your computer to develop the DNG's and convert image sequence to a movie, color grade....
Recording sound on the camera.... With the synch beeps.... worth the money to buy a Zoom H1 and synch in post.

1%

Video mode is hard... I got into 720P 60 like twice. Usually it errors out unless you wait out all the busies.. and then h/s makes it busy again.

kgv5

[113] Just small Changes  with addition of H264inis

In raw menu when pressing playback camera hangs every time - red light blinking, no response, taking out battery.
Those new H264inis are required with the latest build?

nandoide

I've the same problem, I think it's related to memory hack that gets 7 buffers when we go into multiple shot noise reduction.

So, with this hack, no preview is available. It's a pity. I don't know if it will be any workaround.

kgv5

But you don't need any hack to have 7 buffers, just high iso NR multi.

nandoide

Buf, well the situations it's a bit confused for the tests. Whe have two improvements at once implemented in SW that provide more buffers:

Today's Alex one "raw_rec: added a memory allocation hack: on 5D3, this brings 2x32M extra :D" and the previous  (two days?) "multishot noise reduction" from 1%. This one  it's OK in photo mode but I found caveats: no play mode, no simultaneous raw photo , movie mode erratic, change noise reduction on each restart, etc...   

The play mode problem arises for me in every circumstances, for example if I was reviewing the raw video I cannot preview anymore: red light blinking is because of raw preview processing, but no image on screen".

Well, then I try the today's version from 1% repository that includes Alex hack. First try I don't obtain more buffers but now (?) whitout change, I obtain 7 buffers (3 more) automaticaly!!! (only the default memory hack on: new raw_rec menu option), but:
I don't need change iso noise reduction, so I have raw. Video mode OK and playback OK. I don't understand why I cannot obtain more buffers at first try.

nandoide

Quote from: nandoide on June 06, 2013, 10:34:44 PM
Well, then I try the today's version from 1% repository that includes Alex hack. First try I don't obtain more buffers but now (?) whitout change, I obtain 7 buffers (3 more) automaticaly!!! (only the default memory hack on: new raw_rec menu option), but:
I don't need change iso noise reduction, so I have raw. Video mode OK and playback OK. I don't understand why I cannot obtain more buffers at first try.

I catch it: If photo quality is L, Alex hack don't throws more buffers, if photo quality is raw we get 3 more buffers!!!!

1%, Alex, contratulations once more, this transforms the 6D in a very capable raw video camera.

sparedog

Quote from: kgv5 on June 06, 2013, 05:35:41 PM
Sparedog, do you have VAF-6D? I am very interested in it, seen couple of tests and looks very good IMO but I would like to hear about it from the actual owner. Is picture with this filter comparable with the one from 5D3?

VAF-6D owners - please give your honest opinion  :)

I didnt buy one in the end, only because my short film project has been postponed... script problems :(

xNiNELiVES

1% in the latest ML releases in raw video we can't choose higher vertical resolutions than 1792. Why can't you let us choose higher than this? Also when will the release be hardcoded so my settings don't disappear every bloody time I reset my camera. And what about keeping the 7x32mb buffers enabled from the start without having to do some ritualistic procedure every time.

Sorry to nag, just curious.

1%

The settings don't save because I think modules don't support config files.. I know, bummer.

You can't chose over 1792 because that is about where canon size is. "full" size is only 1824. 28x64 is already 1792.

BTW, got the card from noisyboy (BIG THANKS!)... I can finally join the HD club. Its writing at 40MB/s... will format it to exfat and see if that makes any difference. As a plus I can test the 113 updater fir I got this morning.

A1ex hack is working! Thanks nanotide... I wouldn't have figured it out.. have to see what it does on 600D with no sraw.

No 600d... but maybe EOS-M

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: 1% on June 07, 2013, 03:07:42 AM
The settings don't save because I think modules don't support config files.. I know, bummer.

You can't chose over 1792 because that is about where canon size is. "full" size is only 1824. 28x64 is already 1792.

BTW, got the card from noisyboy (BIG THANKS!)... I can finally join the HD club. Its writing at 40MB/s... will format it to exfat and see if that makes any difference. As a plus I can test the 113 updater fir I got this morning.

A1ex hack is working! Thanks nanotide... I wouldn't have figured it out.. have to see what it does on 600D with no sraw.

No 600d... but maybe EOS-M

Thanks for the response.  How does exfat benefit write speeds? Of so can I just remove the current files to my computer, format my sd card, and drag the files back on again? Do I have to make my card bootable again?

Gobian

All the test I have done were with a card formatted exFat and I have not seen much difference with your results tho.
[SIZE=1]6D | 550D | Canon f4/24-105mm IS USM | Canon f4/70-200mm USM |Canon f1.8/85mm | Canon f1.4/50mm |Tokina f2.8/11-16mm |

teo770

Gain from exFAT formating, in my experience, is +0.2 to +0.3MB/s using 4096 cluster size.
The major gain is exFAT can handle files bigger than 4GB !

dlang

have you looked at the HDMI interface? according to the wikipedia page even hdmi 1.0 can do 1.6Gbit/sec (around 200MB/sec) or more depending on the mode. it may take special software or hardware to receive the data, but if it's even possible to dump it out at those rates it could be very interesting

if nothing else, for those looking for audio, this may be a way to get the audio out of the camera

kgv5

This was discussed many times and as far as i know not possible due some to technical limitations

jankyy

hi,

i have a simple question: i'm using ML on my 6D mainly for things like magic zoom, zebra etc. so i am generally fine with the 'classic' 1920 or 1280 video recording settings.

now i noticed that with ML 'on' (no modules loaded, no raw recording), the data rates of the clips recorded are very different from when i shoot with ML 'off' -> esp. the 'IPB' doesn't seem to work / compress anymore, the files are just about as big as with 'ALL-I'.

is that a regular behaviour? is that because i'm using the developer kit (version from june 1st)? thanks a lot!

jan

kgv5

Maybe you have changed something in the ML encoder settings, with encoder set to default/stock canon h.264 it should't affect stock all-i or ipb bitrate.

sparedog

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on June 07, 2013, 07:36:33 AM
Do I have to make my card bootable again?
yes, after you have dragged the files on, make it bootable