Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: electrichobo on May 31, 2013, 06:24:00 AM
not sure if anyone has reported;

mememe - when using the focus ring on a lens that reports to the camera - 24-105 IS L series II - the focus assist pops up automatically, at 5% is corrupt image, functions fine at 10%, but any time the focus ring is touched this happens.

also the ML settings screen vanishes by itself on occasion.

side question - what frame size/aspect has given us the longest record time / greatest amount of frames?

Well there isn't one exact frame, its just a resolution at which point the card can write the same speed of the file size of the video. We calculate this by MB/s. The maximum length of video is when the file hits its 4GB cap. There are settings which can restart the video when this point occurs. The maximum resolution keeps increasing, I don't know the current highest. Wait for other members to respond with this information.

1%

I've never seen frame inversion so not sure.

Quotet 5% is corrupt image

You mean the raw preview where its B/W? You can turn off zoom with focus ring.

oscaroo

Hi 1%
I'm happy to live without raw processing.
I can always boot with Magic:off.

Thanks for letting me know why it was dying.
I have yet to update from "[113] Check4Regression.zip".
I'll do that next week after a few photoshoots I have this weekend.

sparedog

Quote from: electrichobo on May 31, 2013, 06:24:00 AM
not sure if anyone has reported;

side question - what frame size/aspect has given us the longest record time / greatest amount of frames?

With a 16:9 aspect ratio, you can record 24 fps at 720x1280 continues without frame skipping. With exfat formatted SanDisk pro card, it keeps recording till I decide to stop

Others are trying other aspects. Basically at the bottom of the screen ML will tell you the bit rate needed. Any size resolution that keeps the bit rate under 40mb seems to record continuously on the pro card

fotojohni

Quote from: sparedog on May 31, 2013, 06:18:54 PM

With a 16:9 aspect ratio, you can record 24 fps at 720x1280 continues without frame skipping. With exfat formatted SanDisk pro card, it keeps recording till I decide to stop

Others are trying other aspects. Basically at the bottom of the screen ML will tell you the bit rate needed. Any size resolution that keeps the bit rate under 40mb seems to record continuously on the pro card

I just got that patriot 32GB, It's getting 39.5MB/s formatting is fat32, does exfat help?  It really seems like 40 is the speed limit.  Sandisk is still the best bet I think.

kgv5

www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

1%

I just got that patriot 32GB

Pro or EP?

I'm getting my EP back maybe today... will try it in fat32 I guess.. only gave me 30 regular, probably have to cut 64GB card to 32. If the pro is only getting 39 then sandisk 45Mb/s is equal. maybe this is where SD tech on SDR/DDR50 is at.

Exfat/fat32 should be no difference in performance.. only the 4gb thing.

sparedog

The pro definitely gives a better result than the extreme, by about 4mb second I seem to remember.
Ex fat only gives larger file sizes, I think, I don't see any real speed differences. But files sizes above 4gb are worth the reformat

noisyboy

I know I sound like a broken record but I bought the best sd card you can get for speed (Delkin 633x) when we first started this adventure and it performs no better than my Sandisk Extreme 45MB/s cards. Don't waste your money - trust me, the 45MB/s' are gonna work just as well under the limitations. At least unless some breakthrough makes thinks better for us. Once you realize that the highest res we can shoot continuous raw with is actually pretty damn tasty - it's quite liberating! Mostly because you can get a 64gb card for $65 (or 50 quid) which makes shooting raw very cheap for us :)

Time to go out and enjoy shooting raw  8)

kgv5

Quote from: sparedog on May 31, 2013, 08:06:20 PM
The pro definitely gives a better result than the extreme, by about 4mb second I seem to remember.
Ex fat only gives larger file sizes, I think, I don't see any real speed differences. But files sizes above 4gb are worth the reformat

Do you have any benchmark for this?
With extreme 45 I am getting sometimes 41,5 (for about a half a second) and normally 38-39,5. Did you have 42-44 with pro? I don't think so, other users with pro have the same 38-40.

noisyboy

Quote from: kgv5 on May 31, 2013, 09:10:41 PM
Did you have 42-44 with pro?

If this is the case the leap with recording times would be huge. I'd love to proven wrong (I would SERIOUSLY love to be) but I wouldn't hold out much hope.

kgv5

Quote from: noisyboy on May 31, 2013, 09:09:53 PM
Once you realize that the highest res we can shoot continuous raw with is actually pretty damn tasty - it's quite liberating! Mostly because you can get a 64gb card for $65 (or 50 quid) which makes shooting raw very cheap for us :)

Yeah, well said. Even if I had 5D3 now I couldn't afford 1000x cards, 128GB costs as much as a nice lens  :o
We need to make some good comparison video with the res we have now vs 1080p. (I think we could use LV_rec module to get couple of frames in real 1080p raw on 6D as a benchmark) There are plenty of comparisons videos but always ungraded, wrongly exposed h264 with no sharpness/cinestyle with no lut applied vs nice raw.

fotojohni

I think the resolution is fine.  I upscale the images, then lightly sharpen.  Then downscale in premiere, I have no complaints.  I shot some stuff @ 12800 3 ev under exposed and it's pretty impressive, plus no banding!! 

I honestly believe that for most shots, as long as it's raw and you upscale correctly, you could easily upscale to 3K and it would just look a teeny-tiny bit soft up close.

Only issue I have is that it's not full frame.  How does the 720p 24fps override work?

Quote from: kgv5 on May 31, 2013, 09:34:46 PM
Yeah, well said. Even if I had 5D3 now I couldn't afford 1000x cards, 128GB costs as much as a nice lens  :o
We need to make some good comparison video with the res we have now vs 1080p. (I think we could use LV_rec module to get couple of frames in real 1080p raw on 6D as a benchmark) There are plenty of comparisons videos but always ungraded, wrongly exposed h264 with no sharpness/cinestyle with no lut applied vs nice raw.

I have some examples I'm working on now.  The difference in sharpness is stunning especially with good upscaling and sharpening.  Night and day.

kgv5

Quote from: fotojohni on May 31, 2013, 09:41:51 PM
I have some examples I'm working on now.  The difference in sharpness is stunning especially with good upscaling and sharpening.  Night and day.

Sure thing, I don't want to make an OT here, let's make a new thread something like "Shooting raw in lower resolution than fullHD and then processing them". I am curious how do you guys make proper upscaling for example.

noisyboy

Lol - like the thread title  ;) Catchy!

Yeah - something I was gonna post in the 6D - Magic Lantern and raw Shooting General Discussion about the lack of 6D raw videos. There are tonnes of vids showing off the other cameras but none of our beloved 6D's. I'd like to start a thread called "Raw Vids Shot on 6D" under Share Your Vids but haven't got anything to post myself 'til probably tomorrow night so seems a bit silly  :P In fact I'll start it and then link to it from here and the 6D general thread.  8)

fotojohni

Quote from: noisyboy on May 31, 2013, 10:47:06 PM
Lol - like the thread title  ;) Catchy!

Yeah - something I was gonna post in the 6D - Magic Lantern and raw Shooting General Discussion about the lack of 6D raw videos. There are tonnes of vids showing off the other cameras but none of our beloved 6D's. I'd like to start a thread called "Raw Vids Shot on 6D" under Share Your Vids but haven't got anything to post myself 'til probably tomorrow night so seems a bit silly  :P In fact I'll start it and then link to it from here and the 6D general thread.  8)

I'm too much of a perfectionist to post just any video.  Hopefully all the work I've done will show how great the 6D is.

1%

720P is OK.. just don't shoot anything that could possibly even think about giving you moire..

There are a couple of different cards:

Sandisk Extreme Pro
Patriot EP Pro
Patriot EP not pro

Both have pro and "similar" specs... IMO patriot EP not pro gave pretty good performance for the money... still didn't come in the mail today. I was getting 31/30MB on it before it broke. I would hope the pro gives as good or better results as sandisk pro or at least sandisk 45MB/s...

fauxtographer

I am only showing 2 of the former 4 buffers now. What did I press?
6D | 24-105 f/4 | 70-200 f/4 | 28 - 35 - 50 - 50 - 135 |

noisyboy

Quote from: fauxtographer on June 01, 2013, 01:41:49 AM
I am only showing 2 of the former 4 buffers now. What did I press?

Hey man!

You probably have Raw photo selected in canon menu instead of just jpeg.

1%

Just leave raw.

Wifi + (raw+jpeg) takes memory... raw/jpeg by itself doesn't make a memory diff.

noisyboy

Quote from: 1% on June 01, 2013, 07:42:27 PM
Just leave raw.

Wifi + (raw+jpeg) takes memory... raw/jpeg by itself doesn't make a memory diff.

Just to clarify you are saying that raw or jpeg on it's their own affects nothing but I'm right in thinking that raw PLUS jpeg when selected at the same time affects memory?

If I have this wrong then I'm very confused now :p

Cheers.

1%

You got it... raw + jpeg uses twice the memory... Got the patriot card back. I'm getting 32.0MB now with LV hacked off (previewless mode is back in next release). So that means you guys will hopefully get 40/41/42/etc.

kgv5

So do you mean this is ~2 MB/s faster than the fastest card tried before (and sandisk 45/95) ? Could you please check it with a 6D?

1%

I only get 32MB ... I don't have the sandisk (supposed to be 38/39?)... but maybe your cards will go up a bit too (check)

kgv5

Sorry, I don't understand... I thought this speed was not on 6D.

Quote from: 1% on June 01, 2013, 09:33:47 PM
So that means you guys will hopefully get 40/41/42/etc.
You mean on 6D with this particular card? Yes, now getting 38-39 so 41-42 would make a difference, It would be worth to buy such a card to check that 2 MB/s speed increase.