Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

Image review/play you press light and it should draw.

Looking into crashes, but have work today.

Raw processing works with magic:off. Guessing its a memory issue. Have to see if it worked previously.

oscaroo

Ah! The light button!  Haha. I never knew you guys overloaded that button also.
I see it working with the light button! Thanks.

Have fun at work.

noisyboy

Was playing with making live view power off with the ML power-saving menu to see if making it turn off when recording raw would increase speeds when recording (as it improves quite a bit when bench-marking) and accidentally discovered that the liveview doesn't switch off when recording h.264 even if "recording" is selected in the sub menu. To be honest it doesn't affect anything I do but figured you'd want to know if you're pushing for a stable release. Didn't cause any problems - just didn't switch off. Maybe I'm using it wrong.

(running [113] Check4Regression.zip).

Cheers.

Ps. If anyone was wondering - making liveview switch off while recording raw had no impact on performance.

noisyboy

Also - getting err 70 crash when trying to use the in camera raw image processing from the Q menu when previewing images.

[113] Check4Regression

Crash logs: http://ge.tt/2E4rhxh/v/0?c

Thx  :)

Edit: My bad - didn't see this:

Quote from: oscaroo on May 29, 2013, 10:27:56 AM
Sweet!
Thanks 1% .. voice tags work again.
Buut ....

"RAW Processing" through the canon menu dies with error 70.

Log/assert files at: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/syogzdreypjre2f/rbMS0D3eDQ

Also, it seemed that deleting a file in a directory (via the file browser) and the directory there ending up empty results in the directory being removed. I had a script in SCRIPTS and del'd it via the filebrowser. Next reboot and ML says script dir is missing.

1%

The raw processor might as well become a write-off... seems that memory it uses is used by ML.. it has been doing ERR70 for pretty far back. I tried patching the error it still dies.

Kind of a choice between raw processor all the time or raw video. Right now all you can do is boot magic off and do any raw processing thats needed there.

Also, I enabled tiny py but the modules is 180KB and also not enough memory to load it. I dunno how much of tinypy can run without the module.

Actually found a middle ground... you can have raw processor at the expense of dm log and tp log. Those will now have to be started in photo mode and may or may not have enough memory to do their thing.

electrichobo

<--- kind of an idiot, so forgive my stupid question but...

Do I simply replace the bin & the rec_mo on the SD card with the updated ones from 1%'s bucket?  There's a lot of files on there and I don't want to eff it up on my end so that I can keep testing.

1%

Replace modules in ML folder (don't forget magic.sym) and autoexec.bin.

fauxtographer

I get an error when I change the RAW size in the Canon menu... is that supposed to happen?
6D | 24-105 f/4 | 70-200 f/4 | 28 - 35 - 50 - 50 - 135 |

noisyboy

Quote from: 1% on May 29, 2013, 08:29:10 PM
Kind of a choice between raw processor all the time or raw video. Right now all you can do is boot magic off and do any raw processing thats needed there.

Cool. Well my vote goes to keeping it this way then if it means I get more memory allocated for raw_rec. Booting the camera with the Set button depressed isn't exactly the end of the world and I only ever use it ever now and then if I get paranoid so I can see if the highlights pull back okay.

Regarding the sprinkles dude. Obviously with a1ex's pixel peeping test not being for 6D I haven't been able to run it but I have been goin' oldschool and testing by just shooting the shit out of things and I still haven't seen them come back since [113] Check4Regression.zip.

Tried to work out from the threads if it had been confirmed as being fixed or not (still seems up in the air) but just thought I'd let you know that it seems cool for me now and I even tried using the old module to shoot with the same setting to compare. The old has them - the new one doesn't.

As for banding though - I haven't noticed it myself but if you tell me what settings you have shot on when you see it and I'll do the same and see if I get it too. If I don't maybe I can send you my config or something and you can see if you can see why?

noisyboy

Quote from: fauxtographer on May 30, 2013, 01:54:12 AM
I get an error when I change the RAW size in the Canon menu... is that supposed to happen?

raw_rec doesn't shoot when using anything but the largest raw photo size dude. Wouldn't exactly say it's "supposed" to happen but I don't think it was a concern to fix it as the other sizes use too much memory. As far as I can remember at least. But then I do have the worlds worst memory  :P

1%

I got some shoot malloc back... I can fix or unfix the raw converter. prev build needs tiny py module (someone wanted tiny py).. I dunno hard to get that sucker into memory.

Now have 4x32.. dunno if card format still works. Does it?

noisyboy

Nice dude - squeezing quite a bit more out when shooting at 1536x642 (was getting around 1,200 frames before and now up to 1,508).

Format cleans all shots of card and keeps ML as expected although raw_rec still lists files to playback even tough it doesn't have anything there. I guess that this is something stored in the module and not that it's reading from the card?

1536x864 has gone from 108 frames to 127

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: noisyboy on May 30, 2013, 05:15:56 AM
Nice dude - squeezing quite a bit more out when shooting at 1536x642 (was getting around 1,200 frames before and now up to 1,508).

Format cleans all shots of card and keeps ML as expected although raw_rec still lists files to playback even tough it doesn't have anything there. I guess that this is something stored in the module and not that it's reading from the card?

1536x864 has gone from 108 frames to 127

How did you manage to increase the frame counts?  Nice job man,  please keep an eye out for more.

noisyboy

Holy crap! In fact - card write speed when shooting 1536x642  has gone from 38.0/38.2 to 38.7/38.8 and now allows me to shoot 2,546 frames as opposed to 1,332

The figure I put in my last post was wrong! Yes it was 1,508 frames but that was actually compared to 779 frames when shooting 1536x654! Not 1536x642. This must have been some kind of fluke though as it's averaging about 1330 frames now. This is still nearly double though at this res :)

noisyboy

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on May 30, 2013, 05:34:28 AM
How did you manage to increase the frame counts?  Nice job man,  please keep an eye out for more.

Just testing the latest module https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads

noisyboy

Also - I know we have discussed this a lot but choosing S1 jpeg def increases writes speed. EVERY time I choose it the speed jumps straight to 39+ then levels out at about 38.9-39.1 (never had these speeds before).

When I choose S3 for example - levels at about 38-39 but takes a while to get there. dunno if it's simply switching between the modes or the modes themselves but there's a noticeable difference and a solid pattern to prove that s1 wins.

Can other people try this so we can see if there is a difference? Which is better for you? S1 or S3? (S1 Higher quality by the way).

noisyboy

In fact if I keep on recording with it - it does eventually fluctuate. I know this seems a bit far fetched but the way I seem to get the higher speed seems to be when I shoot with S3 first and then switch to S1. Then it pretty much always gives me 39MB/s

Weird huh?

Maybe I'm just getting lucky which is probably the case. Still interested to see other peoples results though - if anything just to see if there is simply a difference between cameras.

Anyway - wicked work 1%

This is pretty much good enough for me to risk using it properly now :)

One last thing - am I right in thinking that previously you could select different raw files to preview or delete? Am I being thick or is it no longer an option?

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: noisyboy on May 30, 2013, 05:49:32 AM
Also - I know we have discussed this a lot but choosing S1 jpeg def increases writes speed. EVERY time I choose it the speed jumps straight to 39+ then levels out at about 38.9-39.1 (never had these speeds before).

When I choose S3 for example - levels at about 38-39 but takes a while to get there. dunno if it's simply switching between the modes or the modes themselves but there's a noticeable difference and a solid pattern to prove that s1 wins.

Can other people try this so we can see if there is a difference? Which is better for you? S1 or S3? (S1 Higher quality by the way).

Wait. So you're saying that if you change the picture size; which, to my knowledge is irrelevant; allows the camera to write faster during raw video recording?

noisyboy

I'm not scientifically saying that this works (really must stop using words like "definitely and proof" lol) but in my repeated testing this seems to work out better for me. No idea why but when I switch from s3 to s1 it works better. Best thing you can do is try dude. If it doesn't affect it then I'm just getting lucky.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: noisyboy on May 30, 2013, 06:40:35 AM
I'm not scientifically saying that this works (really must stop using words like "definitely and proof" lol) but in my repeated testing this seems to work out better for me. No idea why but when I switch from s3 to s1 it works better. Best thing you can do is try dude. If it doesn't affect it then I'm just getting lucky.

I haven't installed ML yet. I waiting for advancements in Raw video. Or until the stable official release of ML comes out for the 6D.

noisyboy

It's pretty damn stable dude. Wont be long for stable release though.

kgv5

Checked [113] mememe [no raw con], I see now 4 buffers 32MB  :)

1600x670 - before 348 frames, now 374 :)

Checked also the thing with S1 and S3 which noisyboy was talking about:

S3 [113] Sacrifice Debug build --------------- 348, 348, 348
S3 [113] mememe [no raw con]-------------- 374, 374, 374
S1 lower Q [113] mememe [no raw con]-----357, 357, 374
S1 higher Q [113] mememe [no raw con]----374, 391 (!!!), 374.

It's hard to comfirm that S1 higher Q can give slightly better results. Only once for many tries get better frame number than S3.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

1%

Wow, what a difference like 3-4MB made.

S1 doesn't look to make any difference to the memory.. maybe it speeds up some internal processes? Placebo? Can't tell. At one point I strated killing the rest of the edmacs like face detection, etc.

The preview got broken by the name change so now it only lets you delete the last one (it can't find names anymore).

File manager you can delete whatever else. I could never preiview what I shot anyway as I didn't remember what size I shot.

noisyboy

Quote from: kgv5 on May 30, 2013, 08:32:24 AM
It's hard to comfirm that S1 higher Q can give slightly better results. Only once for many tries get better frame number than S3.

Thanks for checking dude!

Quote from: 1% on May 30, 2013, 01:45:16 PM
Wow, what a difference like 3-4MB made.

S1 doesn't look to make any difference to the memory.. maybe it speeds up some internal processes? Placebo? Can't tell.

I know man! Mad isn't it! I seriously believe that at this point it's a usable feature now. I'll share some of the shots in the general 6D thread that have been shot in a real world environment when I get a chance and I think people will see how usable this camera is with raw now. Yeah it's not 1080p but seriously - it's damn good man. Since raw was announced I never really bought into the hype. I saw the potential and was mega excited at the possibilities but also saw the limitations and didn't want to get too carried away until it developed more on our lovely 6D's but after throwing caution to the wind and using it on an actual shoot I can honestly say that this is amazing! I know the dust has started to settle a bit now but seriously man - you, a1ex, g3ggo, coutts and all the other Devs need to hold onto this achievement a little longer (I know that this is still early days but still...). It's a shame you aren't all based in the UK - I'd buy you all a pint :)

Oh and about the jpeg quality - okay, I'll let it go now and just enjoy it!

fotojohni

Quote from: noisyboy on May 30, 2013, 05:49:32 AM

I see no difference between any of the S's. about 33.1 on a card rated for 35 right off the bat for everything.  I finally found a card that has a claimed write speed of exactly 50MB/s, comes in tomorrow, hopefully it works.  I wonder if there is a way to hack the camera to not record images at all?

The moire thing is pretty much clean actually with ACR anti moire brush and it upscales really nicely, but now the biggest thing I'm noticing is aliasing.  Where are we posting workflow?  I think I have a pretty good setup, can't wait to finish editing.  When we can get sustained burst of 1720x720 that's when this will become a boss feature.

Ooo one more thing, any chance on a config file for raw settings?  I'd really like it if it would pop up everytime with my settings. 

Thanks Devs!  Great job on this.  Never thought raw would be more reliable than h.264.  My camera has not crashed, at all.