Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noisyboy

Right - finally up and alive again! Gonna finish up the guide and start a new thread in a jiffy. Just got to update the zip with all the latest files and run through it again and see if I break my camera. If I don't then we're good to go my fellow newbies.

teo770 and 1% - was gonna basically give the latest bin with the "4 buffers no worries" module as that even though it's not entirely up-to-date, it seems to still give me the best performance and record times when shooting RAW (which lets face it is the reason a lot of people want this). Can either of you think of any reason not to give this one and to give a different version before I continue? After all, they can always update the modules as they are released.

Cheers.

1%

Other than missing features not really. They all work, use the one you want. Hopefully we'll figure out a way to fix it so newer modules get faster. The edmac shutting helps already.

noisyboy

Okay - cool. In the mean time...

Any idea why my benchmarks are looking like this?

Screen goes to black halfway through the 5 min reed/write test and then I get this at the end

1%

Thats all the tests which are enabled I think. Why test at like 128k and wreck your card?

I'll have to see if there is some drawing bug with it turning black and not showing the other stuff.

This is with the latest, first part of write test seemed to show for me, started with 2M buffers.

noisyboy

Is there any chance I might be able to test the 4 buffers no worries with the LV Hack enabled? I think it was the screen shutting down that gave me such high results :) If you get time that is.

noisyboy

In fact it definitely is giving me much better benchmarks. I have no idea why my screen is going to sleep (if it's a feature on the camera I never used it before so maybe I activated something when I rolled back to 1.1.2 and cleared settings?) and I have no idea why when I push a button to wake the screen I loose half of the data drawn on screen but I guess this is the same reason that the Live View hack works?

Also, I have been wondering, is it possible to disable the real-time previews of Picture Styles? So we just go straight through them? Do you think they would affect performance?

1%

There is powersave in canon menus, is that off?  Also ML can dim/shut down the screen after x mins in lv power-save  menu. Something else has to be worked out with the memory to get stability + the performance back. Maybe need to print what chunks are being used.

Picture styles won't make a difference. I don't think they use a separate edmac.

noisyboy

Quote from: 1% on May 20, 2013, 03:49:10 AM
There is powersave in canon menus, is that off?  Also ML can dim/shut down the screen after x mins in lv power-save  menu. Something else has to be worked out with the memory to get stability + the performance back. Maybe need to print what chunks are being used.

Picture styles won't make a difference. I don't think they use a separate edmac.

Ah - I see! Fair enough!

Yeah - LV Powersave was on - thanks! Crazy that it benchmarks that much better with the screen shutdown though eh!

noisyboy

Any newbie lurkers that like dicing with death want a quick go of this installation guide before I post it publicly then PM me. I have tested it and the files like 5 times and only broke 2 cameras so it's cool.

Of course I'm kidding - I have tried it 5 times and it worked fine but please remind yourself that you do this at your own risk before you commit to it 8)

Ps. Windows only at the moment.

1%

Thats why I say to shut down more edmacs....

I looked at buffers, the double is only a 6MB chunk... but I think the other chunks are not even. 124MB is allocated total.. buffer 4 prints as 31MB... buffer 3 says 32Mb. I can't see buffers 1 + 2 so I wonder if chunks are all different sized now causing the slowdown.

And I guess make a new thread so it can be added to the raw recording thread under 6D.

pio_hyun

with lastest build I have some kind of crash when try to playback .RAW file on camera.
LV not work at all and when i turn off camera and turn on again, it shows  Error 70. So I have to pull the battery to turn on camera again.
Here is LOG file:
ASSERT: 0
at ./Capture/Capture.c:526, task EventMgr
lv:0 mode:3

Magic Lantern version : v2.3.NEXT.2013May18.6D113
Mercurial changeset   : 25d36d43a82c (unified) tip
Built on 2013-05-18 12:57:24 by user@D610.
Free Memory  : 450K + 2097K

1%

Couldn't reproduce it. I could play back in photo mode and movie mode and zoom 5x.

Maybe order of the chunks matters.. the short chunks are at the beginning and buffer 1+2 get filled quickly. In the other bin putting the smallest buffer on the end as better.

electrichobo

Quote from: noisyboy on May 20, 2013, 04:28:25 AM
Any newbie lurkers that like dicing with death want a quick go of this installation guide before I post it publicly then PM me. I have tested it and the files like 5 times and only broke 2 cameras so it's cool.

Of course I'm kidding - I have tried it 5 times and it worked fine but please remind yourself that you do this at your own risk before you commit to it 8)

Ps. Windows only at the moment.

ill take a peek. and mayhaps adapt for an OSX

teo770

Sensor size...
In this BMCC review, you will see compared sensor sizes btw Canon 5D/6D and Pro cinema cameras...
BMCC has a sensor 5 times smaller than 6D...

http://www.focus-numerique.com/test-1690/camescope-blackmagic-cinema-camera-sur-le-terrain-2.html
Google translate is your friend...

I'm wondering... what could be the pixel size on the BMCC !
There are also crop factor issues with those cameras due to sensor size.

I LOVE my 6D ! So bad they didn't include a damned CF card slot !
Amazing too, at the end, using BMCC or 5D/6D RAW video, you will get same workflow (speaking about PC for myself):
DNG files + audio as a wav file => imported in your fav NLE, After Effect / Premiere and so on.
My gear: CANON 6D / 40mm f2.8 STM / 20mm f2.8 / 24-105 f4 IS / Flash 90EX / Grip BG-E13

kgv5

I wonder, how 1504x640 raw (or similar) upscaled to 1920x817 looks in comparison with BMCC's ProRes4444 or 422HQ in terms of quality, sharpness, detail etc. I've found some info about BMCC bitrates:

2048x1080 24fps  - Prores422 HQ 201Mb/s, prores4444 302 Mb/s
1504x640 24fps RAW ~ 300Mb/s

Did you guys see such a comparison somewhere?
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

noisyboy

Quote from: kgv5 on May 20, 2013, 12:43:32 PM
I wonder, how 1504x640 raw (or similar) upscaled to 1920x817 looks in comparison with BMCC's ProRes4444 or 422HQ in terms of quality, sharpness, detail etc. I've found some info about BMCC bitrates:

2048x1080 24fps  - Prores422 HQ 201Mb/s, prores4444 302 Mb/s
1504x640 24fps RAW ~ 300Mb/s

Did you guys see such a comparison somewhere?

Yeah that would be nice :) Haven't seen anything other that 1080p comparisons on mk3 yet though.

Might be renting a couple on next shoot so if I do I'll do a comparison.

noisyboy

Quote from: teo770 on May 20, 2013, 10:14:24 AM
I LOVE my 6D ! So bad they didn't include a damned CF card slot !

Hellz yeah brother  8)

teo770

6D perfs

As we've seen, a good card as Sandisk Expreme pro xxGB can write at 82-3MB/s in a SD card reader.
As you discovered, the chip managing SD card I/Os in the 6D seems limited to 50MB/s (SDR50 or something)

Why in the benchmarks can't we bench at 50MB/s ? But only at 41-42MB/s max...
Is it because of CPU power ? Or ML can't free enough memory (yet) for buffers to sustain higher write speeds ?
My gear: CANON 6D / 40mm f2.8 STM / 20mm f2.8 / 24-105 f4 IS / Flash 90EX / Grip BG-E13

kgv5

That is a good question, hope it's not a some kind of canon's  hardware limitation

1%

I would guess 2 things:

1. Overhead.. cpu, etc
2. Card only supports speed X in SDR50 mode.

teo770

1%

Actually by MHZ I think DDR50

If we had full UHS-1 people would be wondering why they are only getting 80MB write instead of 90, etc....

Virindi

It seems recording sound as separate wav makes a very big difference in performance.
At 24FPS, I can get good results at 1440 x 640 without audio (it says 36.9Mb/s), the buffer fills up slowly.
But only 1200 x 600 with separate wave (28.8Mb/s) the buffer stays empty. If I try any higher resolution it breaks the sound recording in less that 10 seconds.

Is it normal?

1%

Pretty much.. sound takes up a bit of write. We're short as it is. 5d3 is the only lucky one that can record audio to SD while recording video to CF.

kgv5

Does "beep" sound works in the newest "raw_rec.mo -shrinkwrite" build? I have it ON - there is no sound but maybe there is some setting I missed. In some of the previous versions it was ok.