Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparedog

With the 113 versions, do I just update my camera firmware, I am on 112, and then start using the new autoexecs? Or is there more to it? Eager to test again :)

noisyboy

Quote from: sparedog on May 17, 2013, 08:30:44 PM
With the 113 versions, do I just update my camera firmware, I am on 112, and then start using the new autoexecs? Or is there more to it? Eager to test again :)

Update to 113 and format card (just to save any bother). Then run eoscard and replace autoexec . There are files you have to put on which adds the raw shooting capability in the form of a "module". Basically you'll be good to go if you get everything from the [113] Auto Allocate.zip  and then just update files as they become available: https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads

1% is it bad form if I basically share everything people will need to get going using the "4 buffers no worries" version? I started writing instructions for "leenks" who was asking for help getting started further up the thread but it ended up being a full on guide with loads of different links so I figured I might as well just throw everything needed into a zip for people to get going and upload it to my ge.tt instead of people having to drudge through a load of stuff they probably don't quite understand. It literally took me about two days to work out getting started with ML so I know what it's like when you have never done this before.

Thought I better ask before I share anything myself as I know it's all openly available to whoever wants to use it but I don't know what the etiquette is on sharing myself.

sparedog

Quote from: noisyboy on May 17, 2013, 09:22:30 PM
Update to 113 and format card (just to save any bother). Then run eoscard and replace autoexec . There are files you have to put on which adds the raw shooting capability in the form of a "module". Basically you'll be good to go if you get everything from the [113] Auto Allocate.zip  and then just update files as they become available: https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads
Thanks, it works :D
I loaded the modules, selected to record raw in the new L menu, but didnt manage to record raw... hmmmm Is there another thing to do?
EDIT - I got it, I didnt see the Start Raw :D

1%

Share it... will help to avoid the "when is ML for 6D coming out" posts. If you feel like making a link with 113/112 and all that stuff go for it. More time for me to mess with other stuff.

noisyboy

Quote from: sparedog on May 17, 2013, 09:58:35 PM
Thanks, it works :D
I loaded the modules, selected to record raw in the new L menu, but didnt manage to record raw... hmmmm Is there another thing to do?
EDIT - I got it, I didnt see the Start Raw :D

Good stuff :) Enjoy it man and share your progress. We are currently seeing a pretty much continuous recording on faster cards by selecting 1536x600 or 1504x640 @24fps (there really is quite a significant difference between 24 and 25 if you are in the EU so just stick with 24fps if you want better performance.

Quote from: 1% on May 17, 2013, 10:17:29 PM
Share it... will help to avoid the "when is ML for 6D coming out" posts. If you feel like making a link with 113/112 and all that stuff go for it. More time for me to mess with other stuff.

Cool! Yeah that was my thinking :) Admittedly I don't know the deeper side to using ML but at least I've got the experience of being a n00b so if I can somehow take the strain off by helping people get going then you can pretty much not have to worry about it. That and the more people testing the better! I'm an ios and android app designer (I basically think of cool ideas and my clever-ass-smarter-than-me coding wizard Andrew makes it all come to life) so I fully understand the importance of beta testing.

I'll start it on another thread and if anyone asks how to get going with it then you can always just copy and paste my post as a reply. Simples ;)

sparedog

Recording Raw 720* 1920 on a Sandisk Extreme Pro 8gb 95MB/s (previously tested to 50Mb/s)
with these settings
frame skip 1
single file on
raw recording on

gives me
allocated 152 Mib
76 saved, 29.1MB/s

Is this expected or should I be getting more from this. Do I need to tweek the settings to get longer recording times?

teo770

Yes !!
First success with version [113] Improv.zip:

All in PHOTO mode, all testings: 4GB recorded
1504x600@25p: 35.1 MB/s,  0 frame drops during 4GB !!! NO fps override and Global Draw OFF
1504x600@25p: 35.1 MB/s 32 skipped frames if Global draw ON in a 4GB record
1504x600@25p: 35.6 MB/s   0 skipped frames if FPS override set to 24fps and Global Draw OFF
1536x600@25p: 35.9 MB/s 31 skipped frames if FPS override OFF and Global Draw OFF
1536x600@25p: 35.4 MB/s  too many frame drops if FPS override OFF and Global Draw ON
1536x640@25p: 36.1 MB/s  too many frame drops if FPS override OFF and Global Draw OFF
1600x540@25p: 34.5 MB/s   0 skipped frames if FPS override OFF and Global Draw ON
1600x540@25p: 36.1 MB/s too many frame drops if FPS override OFF and Global Draw ON

Global draw and FPS override consumes time and/or memory i see.

1%, it's because of what you told me earlier: "if not using FPS override, it will record at 30 fps".
I presume 30fps is for NTSC zone... so in PAL, if no FPS override, should record at 25fps, right ?
My gear: CANON 6D / 40mm f2.8 STM / 20mm f2.8 / 24-105 f4 IS / Flash 90EX / Grip BG-E13

Veggietech

Quote from: sparedog on May 17, 2013, 11:37:51 PM
Recording Raw 720* 1920 on a Sandisk Extreme Pro 8gb 95MB/s (previously tested to 50Mb/s)
with these settings
frame skip 1
single file on
raw recording on

gives me
allocated 152 Mib
76 saved, 29.1MB/s

Is this expected or should I be getting more from this. Do I need to tweek the settings to get longer recording times?

Hi.

With those settings it sounds like you're using lv_rec.mo and not raw_rec.mo? The settings for using raw_rec.mo after loading it is in the bottom of the Video tab in the ML settings!

Also, 1%; I found a bug. If you set LV-button to "Rate Image" when in playback mode it will rotate the image instead. I guess the order in the quick settings menu for playback mode got changed with the 6D. It need to go down two steps instead of one, before going left. I hope that made sense...

DTSET123

Not improved for me :(
is it possible to add time elapsed as well during recording?

noisyboy

Quote from: teo770 on May 17, 2013, 11:47:21 PM
Yes !!
First success with version [113] Improv.zip:

All in photo mode
1504x600@25p: 35.1 MB/s,  0 frame drops during 4GB !!! NO fps override and Global Draw OFF
1504x600@25p: 35.1 MB/s 32 skipped frames if Global draw ON in a 4GB record
1504x600@25p: 35.6 MB/s   0 skipped frames if FPS override set to 24fps and Global Draw OFF
1536x600@25p: 35.9 MB/s 31 skipped frames if FPS override OFF and Global Draw OFF
1536x600@25p: 35.4 MB/s  too many frame drops if FPS override OFF and Global Draw ON
1536x640@25p: 36.1 MB/s  too many frame drops if FPS override OFF and Global Draw OFF
1600x540@25p: 34.5 MB/s   0 skipped frames if FPS override OFF and Global Draw ON
1600x540@25p: 36.1 MB/s too many frame drops if FPS override OFF and Global Draw ON

Global draw and FPS override consumes time and/or memory i see.

Cool man! Interesting... So are you getting better performance on 25fps? Coz the difference between 24 and 25 for me is HUGE I can shoot way longer on 24fps!

Good testing  :)

teo770

Quote from: noisyboy on May 18, 2013, 12:26:53 AM
Cool man! Interesting... So are you getting better performance on 25fps? Coz the difference between 24 and 25 for me is HUGE I can shoot way longer on 24fps!
Good testing  :)

You succeed in PHOTO mode LV ON, registering 4GB with FPS override set to 24 ?
In which definition ?
My gear: CANON 6D / 40mm f2.8 STM / 20mm f2.8 / 24-105 f4 IS / Flash 90EX / Grip BG-E13

noisyboy

Quote from: teo770 on May 18, 2013, 12:29:35 AM
You succeed in PHOTO mode LV ON, registering 4GB with FPS override set to 24 ?
In which definition ?

Sorry man- what do you mean by registering 4gb?

noisyboy

Also, how do you manage to get 25p in photo mode with FPS override switched off?

teo770

1% told me if i don't do FPS override in PHOTO mode, it will record at 30 fps...
But 1% is in a NTSC zone (US). We in EU, use PAL so 25fps

For each resolution test, i have registered recorded 4GB..
Sorry my crappy english !

electrichobo

i'd love you long time!

Quote from: noisyboy on May 17, 2013, 09:22:30 PM

1% is it bad form if I basically share everything people will need to get going using the "4 buffers no worries" version? I started writing instructions for "leenks" who was asking for help getting started further up the thread but it ended up being a full on guide with loads of different links so I figured I might as well just throw everything needed into a zip for people to get going and upload it to my ge.tt instead of people having to drudge through a load of stuff they probably don't quite understand. It literally took me about two days to work out getting started with ML so I know what it's like when you have never done this before.

Thought I better ask before I share anything myself as I know it's all openly available to whoever wants to use it but I don't know what the etiquette is on sharing myself.

sparedog

Quote from: Veggietech on May 17, 2013, 11:50:00 PM
With those settings it sounds like you're using lv_rec.mo and not raw_rec.mo? The settings for using raw_rec.mo after loading it is in the bottom of the Video tab in the ML settings!

I must be missing something, I load the modules, and both LV-rec and Raw-rec come up OK.
Then I switch the the LV Rec menu, and change RAW recording to on.
But it still records only 71 frames.
It records the same amount of frames for both YUV and RAW, just the extension changes for the file.

On my card, I have the following:
ROOT/ML/MODULES
raw_rec.mo
MAGIC.SYM
lv_rec.mo

ROOT/ML/SCRIPTS
(EMPTY-Should there be something in here?)

ROOT
Latest autoexec.bin

noisyboy

Hey dude! What he means is you are using something totally different to everyone else to try and record RAW video. I did it - we all did it, it's cool  8)

The place you need to look for this feature is not in the L tab but if you scroll over to the Movie tab (looks like a video camera) and then scroll all the way down (you can't see it unless you scroll down off the screen) and you will see "raw video". There you will find he hidden treasure ;)

Let us know how you get on!

noisyboy

Quote from: electrichobo on May 18, 2013, 02:34:13 AM
i'd love you long time!

On it dude :) Have just written it - just need a Pro to proof it for me, give me an hour or so and it'll be posted here and then in it's own thread. :)

noisyboy

Quote from: teo770 on May 18, 2013, 12:53:53 AM
1% told me if i don't do FPS override in PHOTO mode, it will record at 30 fps...
But 1% is in a NTSC zone (US). We in EU, use PAL so 25fps

For each resolution test, i have registered recorded 4GB..
Sorry my crappy english !

Ah! Lol :) You're English is good man - no worries!

Okay! My camera records 30fps in Photo mode with no override so that's interesting. Mine is potentially an imported version though so who knows?

sparedog

Quote from: noisyboy on May 18, 2013, 03:55:30 AM
Hey dude! What he means is you are using something totally different to everyone else to try and record RAW video. I did it - we all did it, it's cool  8)

The place you need to look for this feature is not in the L tab but if you scroll over to the Movie tab (looks like a video camera) and then scroll all the way down (you can't see it unless you scroll down off the screen) and you will see "raw video". There you will find he hidden treasure ;)

Let us know how you get on!

Thanks! This is too awesome =D

noisyboy

Quote from: sparedog on May 18, 2013, 04:25:10 AM
Thanks! This is too awesome =D

Ya damn right it is Sparedog! Ya damn right  8)

ManixLiquid

With the possibility that the Canon 6D can shoot RAW, it is more suitable to be a B-Roll camera with my Black Magic Cinema camera?
BlackMagic Camera & Canon EOS 6D w/ Zeiss Distagon 35mm & 50mm, Sigma 10mm-20mm.

pio_hyun

First thing sorry for my bad English. Just want to help you guys to test 6D raw.
With me 1440*600 is great, no frame skip at all. I think this will be best way right now for us.
133% upscale is enough for me right now (Sandisk 95mb/s card)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0-NjjBel4o&feature=youtube_gdata_player
This is my short grading test raw...

teo770

Quote from: noisyboy on May 18, 2013, 04:00:29 AM
Okay! My camera records 30fps in Photo mode with no override so that's interesting. Mine is potentially an imported version though so who knows?
Even imported (mine came directly from Japan with a stop by London: purnimadigital.com),
i can choose btw PAL and NTSC in Canon menus. You can't ?

noisyboy

Quote from: teo770 on May 18, 2013, 09:44:01 AM
Even imported (mine came directly from Japan with a stop by London: purnimadigital.com),
i can choose btw PAL and NTSC in Canon menus. You can't ?

Yeah I can select PAL or NTSC but it only affects the frame rate in video mode. My understanding (which could be wrong) is that when you switch to photo mode it defaults to 30fps anyway, no matter which zone you select. I thought this because that's the frame rate that is displayed at the bottom of the screen in the Magic Lantern "RAW video" sub-menu displays 30fps (well, 29.xxxfps),

That's why I have been using fps override :)