Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noisyboy

Quote from: 1% on May 14, 2013, 01:36:46 AM
Thats the digital pan. So it has potential... Does it tear at low res where the card isn't taxed? I surprisingly managed to convert the video on the laptop, lol.

Lol! Thought it was gonna pan on forever! Looks promising :)

1%

If it moves the zoom box it could pan vertically too.. so you could have programmed camera movements or something. Holding down h/s shakes the camera.

noisyboy

Quote from: 1% on May 14, 2013, 01:36:46 AM
Thats the digital pan. So it has potential... Does it tear at low res where the card isn't taxed? I surprisingly managed to convert the video on the laptop, lol.

Will test now.

Just waiting for my card to format. Thought I'd do a proper format of a card and compare before and after.

Was interesting to find that global draw really does affect recording performance. Managed to bump up to 400 frames from an average of 300-320 when using "some" combination. Will test again in a mo.

noisyboy

OriginalClone

Quote from: noisyboy on May 14, 2013, 12:42:33 AM
Follow instructions from just above you my friend!

How was that for timing eh! ;)
Thanks! I get the success screen, but when I restart the camera I can't access the ML menu.  I am supposed to press delete right?

noisyboy

Yeah - I might be losing it here but I think you have to re-start your camera in like M mode or a manual custom mode or something. This might be old school now I dunno :P

noisyboy

Quote from: noisyboy on May 14, 2013, 12:34:35 AM

Aliasing.

Sad face :(

Would someone in a part of the world which can still see daylight be kind enough to try pointing their camera at a bunch of trees and grab a couple shots comparing the highest res Raw footage they can squeeze out vs. h.26? Otherwise I'll just have another play tomorrow :)

Might have to get a mosaic engineering filter after all!

Ps. YEP! Totally mean Lv_rec not lv_raw  :-[

Ugh - I am a complete moron! I mean raw_rec sorry  :-[

OriginalClone

coutts

I smell digital image stabilization possibility with crop video.

noisyboy

Quote from: coutts on May 14, 2013, 03:31:19 AM

Lol! I thought I'd get lynched for saying that! Thank god for you :P

noisyboy

Quote from: coutts on May 14, 2013, 03:31:19 AM

Also - if you have an iPhone - you should check out an app called Luma. It does realtime software IS and does a pretty damn good job of it too! Might be a nice source of inspiration ;)

noisyboy

1% - Finally managed to irradicate the frame tearing/skipping by formatting my cards and just starting over with latest builds etc. Found that using x5 or x10 zoom still has this issue (and possibly a few other combos but have yet to test all) but either way - after a load of testing I have a working solution to shoot with (for now) ;)

I found shooting at 1504x600 is the highest I can shoot continously (bar reaching the 4GB limit - any possibility of that being lifted for tomorrow so I can do some real testing?).

From there I find using Red Giant Instant HD does a nice job of upscaling the image to fit a 1920x817 (2.35) comp while doing good work on reducing aliasing from stretching the image. In terms of overall image quality - after a bit of de-noising an unsharp masking etc I can finally say I think you end up with a pretty nice image:

Ps. Card was Sandisk Extreme 45MB/s

teo770

Quote from: noisyboy on May 14, 2013, 06:31:13 AM
I found shooting at 1504x600 is the highest I can shoot continously (bar reaching the 4GB limit - any possibility of that being lifted for tomorrow so I can do some real testing?).

I just remembered when i received my last SD, it was not formated in FAT32 but in exFAT and it worked in the camera. It didn't worked in my TVIX media player so i reformated it in FAT32.
I've just read on Wikipedia that 4GB limit is due to FAT32 and the exFAT format wouldn't have this limitation......
(http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT)

So... i'm trying.

:( "Movie stop recording automaticly" .... it doesn't sounds like a Canon text.... by chance, maybe a ML file size limit somewhere ?

Good to know: benchmark on card formated as FAT32 or exFAT is the same (0.1 difference sometimes)
Another thing to be verified, when formating exFAT the SD card, using higher cluster size make better benchmark.
Cluster size: 4096k => +0.3 to +0.5MB/s in benchmarks

I tested 1024k,2048k,4098k,8192k cluster sizes my best result (in bench) is 4096k

When recording RAW video @ 1540x600 24/25p, what buffer size is used ???
We could directly adjust SD card cluster size to better fit the buffer, no ?
My gear: CANON 6D / 40mm f2.8 STM / 20mm f2.8 / 24-105 f4 IS / Flash 90EX / Grip BG-E13

kgv5

teo770 did you try 1504x640? I tried and get continous recording, 40 more pixel and already in 2,35:1 so very easy scaling by 128%.
The same card and cam so check it out. I wil try with formatting card, maybe  could squeeze a litlte bit more speed out of it.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

teo770

Quote from: kgv5 on May 14, 2013, 10:19:50 AM
teo770 did you try 1504x640? I tried and get continous recording, 40 more pixel and already in 2,35:1 so very easy scaling by 128%.
The same card and cam so check it out. I wil try with formatting card, maybe  could squeeze a litlte bit more speed out of it.

Just tried 1504x640, worked fine till the 4GB file limit.
This 4GB limit will now be a serious issue, cause at 1504x640, the 4GB is reached in 3.20 minutes only !

Other things:
How much frame skipping is important ? Could we have a live indicator of % frame skipped ?
Perhaps would be good to have (even as a debug option) live sensor/digic temperatures ?
My gear: CANON 6D / 40mm f2.8 STM / 20mm f2.8 / 24-105 f4 IS / Flash 90EX / Grip BG-E13

teo770

I wil try with formatting card, maybe  could squeeze a litlte bit more speed out of it.

Can you confirm the gain with cluster size = 4096k ?
When benchmark starts, it seems to reserve 4MB, that's perhaps why the 4096k cluster size is ideal...

My steps:

1- format the SD card in ExFAT
2- EOScard
3- put back ML files

Quest for ultimate speed !

kgv5

I remember couple days ago most pople wanted just 4-5 seconds of raw footage to be completely satisfied  ;)
I will try formating when I come back home.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

teo770

Imagine where we will be next month !

Just shooted a new video 1504x600 outside, just uploaded it.

Only modified WB in AE, set it to AUTO WB
During video, i changed aperture from f/4 to f5.6
Last frame (pinkish) is not due to crash, i just normaly stopped recording.
Double buffering did correct well the problem in the 1/4 upper part !
Tons of skipped frames.... how to reduce them ?

Makes me realise a few things:
- you need to disable the sleep mode !
- raw files would benefit a unique name (continuous numerotation) cause every cam restart cause the name restart to M0000.raw
- as for the regular recording, a log file with ISO, aperture, LENS NAME (cause we can remove disto and vigneting when importing in AE), would be great

1%

There is already an indicator for # of frames skipped. You can write over 4gb files... try it.. maybe need to modify the converter too. I haven't tried yet.

teo770

When it reaches 4GB, movie record stops.

noisyboy

Quote from: 1% on May 14, 2013, 04:35:00 PM
There is already an indicator for # of frames skipped. You can write over 4gb files... try it.. maybe need to modify the converter too. I haven't tried yet.

On my couple attempts (been at work today so not much chance for testing) it stopped at roughly 4GB.

kbaudour

Just wanted to pop in and say that I got it working on my 6D and I am so appreciative of everything y'all are doing. Thank you for all of this!

noisyboy

Did you manage to get 640 height dude?

teo770

I did but dropped frames incrases too.
I'm converting right know

a1ex

Quoteraw files would benefit a unique name
What about DDhhmmss.RAW (day, hour, minute, second) ?

We are limited to 8 characters.