Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

It does that for me too. I dunno why. Import all files as footage then create a comp out of them. I think you only have to select 1... not sure computer is being used. This morning I selected all and it made a sequence but it kept repeating.

Its dependent on res and card speed. 29 is average for me... more in 60P overriden to 24fps.

DTSET123

shot few short dng clips and payed with the footage in AF-   wow!!! I am just blown away!
Adobe labs used to have dng importer for premier what happened with it? Why did they discontinued it?

noisyboy

I just tried wrapping with Ginger and it worked a treat. Hassle free :)

noisyboy

Only problem I have now is that it doesn't give me the Adobe Raw options :(

noisyboy

By the way just incase anyone was wondering the card UI tried with was a Sandisk Extreme 45MB/s Class 10. Will have another go now and play around.

1%

That explains why I'm not seeing the import dialog: Ginger HDR

noisyboy

I think the problem I had getting lower frames captured was due to being in stills mode as opposed to movie.

noisyboy

Quote from: 1% on April 30, 2013, 02:34:47 AM
That explains why I'm not seeing the import dialog: Ginger HDR

Ahhhh! You think that being installed screwed it up? Was my first thought but thought it should affect importing but I figured it might be a problem as my PC recognizes them as Ginger files. Maybe I'm wrong?

1%

I think photo mode is 30P by default.

I dunno, ginger is working fine, other people are complaining about seeing the dialog every frame.

noisyboy

Is it just me or does the image out of this seem really broken down? Especially in Cb Freq/Blue channel? Still - fun though :)

noisyboy

In fact it looks a bit like it's been up-sized from a lower res image. Like it's a bit pixelated. Not shitting on peoples hard work here or being ungrateful - I just wonder if it's something I have set wrong I guess. Does yours look fine?

1%

I'll found out when I look at what I shot today. It does seem to have a little pink cast.. The stuff this morning had no pixelation. Post some examples of where you see problems.

noisyboy

Okay - problem solved. When importing my DNG files into After Effects they were looking... well... shit! When opening in Photoshop they looked sweet :) So basically I thought "stuff it" and removed Ginger HDR from my Plugins folder and BINGO, I can import DNG's as a RAW sequence and it looks great! It also brings up the Adobe RAW interface and I only have to set it ONCE. Not press Okay for every file. I am almost certain that the reason people are having problems with this is because they are highlighting multiple files and pressing import (which *will* cause that to happen) instead of just selecting the very first file of the sequence and checking the Camera Raw Sequence option at the bottom. I can pretty much guarantee that this clears up all the bother. Have fun :)

noisyboy

Cb still looks very mushy though. Even to the point that Neat Video only struggles to clean up just those frequencies.

Have found though that some of this is due to Adobe Camera Raw adding some sharpening.

Malex

I got the latest bin, how do you do the RAW burst ?

1%

Turn silent pic. Hit q menu and select burst.

I think I have to pull ginger HDR too.. now the files are all blurry.

Malex

Thanx, mine too just records 29 frames.

dlang

These frame numbers actually sound very reasonable. When I first got my 6d I did some testing to see how fast I could shoot before the camera slowed down because it needed to write to the CD card (including some testing with different speed SD cards)

I suspect that what's happening is that right after the camera is turned on, when it hasn't done anything else, you can fit 29 raw frames in memory, and then after it starts working it never completely flushes those frames from memory (after all, you may want to bring them up on the back of the camera, view info, etc), and probably also stores a low-res jpg (for the camera display), so after you have stared shooting, there's only room for 11 raw frames in memory

a1ex

I think it's memory fragmentation - the burst algorithm is not able to handle the fragments, so it just looks for large contiguous blocks.

One problem is that EDMAC (the thing that outputs image data) can only write the full image in a contiguous block (I don't know yet how to program it to skip lines or to switch chunks in the middle - g3gg0 has some ideas though). So, we have to reserve memory for full image blocks, even if we crop the image - otherwise the EDMAC will overwrite who knows what.

And the second problem is that, if you can allocate say 180MB, you only get it in small chunks (between 1-20 MB each).

If you also want to crop the image for faster write speeds, you either allocate memory for full image blocks (the safe route), or you can overlap them a bit (I'm doing that in the burst implementation). The simplest case is when you only crop the bottom part of the image.

Example: let's say a frame has 20 memory units, and we crop 10 units from bottom:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
|memory chunk 1                           |memory chunk 2                                            |
|*****************************************|**********************************************************|
|[frame  1][frame  2][frame  3]--unused---|[frame  4][frame  5][frame  6][frame  7]-------unused-----|
|[frame 1 from EDMAC]                     |[frame 4 from EDMAC]                                      |
|          [frame 2 from EDMAC]           |          [frame 5 from EDMAC]                            |
|                    [frame 3 from EDMAC] |                    [frame 6 from EDMAC]                  |
|                              [frame 4 doesnt fit]                      [frame 7 from EDMAC]        |
|                                         |                                        [frame 8 doesnt fit]
|_________________________________________|__________________________________________________________|

So, in this simple example, 29 memory units out of 100 were wasted. If the chunks are small - say 1 or 2 frames per chunk - there will be a lot of memory wasted because of fragmentation.

Edit: just committed this explanation: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/4af113da963c

1%

I'm pretty happy with the 720P burst... but this does suck. On 600D it only takes the first memory chunk so like 100+ MB is wasted.

600D is real simple.. only 2 chunks. 1 is 60MB the other is the big one.  I wasn't aware this much was wasted on 6D too.

Handonam

I'm glad to see there's some headway going on the 6D!  Based off of other cameras with ML, do you guys anticipate ML ever cracking the moire issue?  It really does suck to see it's downsampling from a sensor that isn't quite proportionate, like the 5DMK3.  I think it's the one thing that is making me hesitant about my purchase between this and the 5DMK3.

1%

Lol, some headway == pretty much fully working.

I don't know, someone shoot something really moire filled with raw and let us know. I did get some moire on the tracks shooting lvrec 422.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zAzvHm4q6r4

kgv5

Hi

in 6d i have now 6D113NewLvrecPack and i cannot find burst mode, it was in previous version but now in silent picture when you press Q there is only on and off.
When i am pressing shutter button halfway, DNG are saving but slow - about 1 fps. Is it normal?

Thanks

EDIT: Ok, i found it, 6D113NewLvrecPack  doesn't consit of "burst" under Q button (silent pictures on/off only), i had to add [113]RawBurst-Wav-PerfectRawHisto
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

ivosilva

Hello everyone,

I have a 6D and a 600D. I have a series of cards that I interchange between them. Until now I used all my cards with bootflag and ML because it works on the 600D and the 6D ignores it.

Now if I install ML on the 6D, what should I do? Should I have cards with ML for 600D and another set of cards for the 6D?

1%

Focus confirmation had a regression. Fixed.

The unified bin would be too big at this point and the ml config settings don't match. Kind of hard to make the bin to where you won't spend an hour loading it.