Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teo770

I think it's time to update the 1st post with a "101 ML on Canon6D" article....
I just want to remind you the "how big update !!!" the firmware 1.1.3 brings you: a bug fix to a date/time issue (i never had personaly). Great ! Canon, who cares about focus peacking ???

Steps for ML on Canon 6D with firmware 1.1.2 are:

- Make the SD card bootable using EOScard:
http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/3rd_party_software

- Get ML 2.3 from ML website:
http://bitbucket.org/magiclantern/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-v2.3.550D.60D.600D.50D.500D.5D2.zip

- Get 6d-112.fir from:
http://bit.ly/ZgvGUf

- Get the last autoexec.bin.something renaming it to autoexec.bin
from: https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads
+ 4 .ini files at the end of listing: h264.ini, cbr.ini, vbr.ini, rc.ini

- Place the new autoexec.bin and 6d-112.fir in the homedir of the SD card
- Place the .ini files in ML dir of the SD card

- Put SD card in camera and update firmware while in M mode. Restart.

That's it.
My gear: CANON 6D / 40mm f2.8 STM / 20mm f2.8 / 24-105 f4 IS / Flash 90EX / Grip BG-E13

savanaking

so i have to downgrade to 112 if i want ml? if yes how cai do that?

teo770

Flash your cam with canon original 1.1.2 firmware first, then follow steps to get ML working on 1.1.2
My gear: CANON 6D / 40mm f2.8 STM / 20mm f2.8 / 24-105 f4 IS / Flash 90EX / Grip BG-E13

savanaking

thanks but where can i find 112 original _ and more what mean "flash"? :-\

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

1%

New bins are going to be for 113 but at the moment you have to set the boot flag on 112 so you have to downgrade first to update. Those already using ML will have an easy time, you just upgrade to 113 and run the newest bin.

Hope to have a new 113 boot flag fir at some point. Has to be signed.

Updating the first post would be a good idea with repo link and eventually the new boot flag fir.

gravitatemediagroup

is limitlessasif.bin for 112 or 113

1%

That is final 112.

Wav playback on 113 for some reason is sped up... on the PC in audacity the files play fine. Not sure what's up, tried to fix it but as long as it works on the PC its ok.

kgv5

Hi
i cannot install ML. I have tried everything from above.
I am using 16Gb class 10 toshiba SDHC card.
I formatted it from the camera menu.
I downloaded every files from the links above - 6D000112.FIR and autoexec.bin-LimitlessAsif (renamed to autoexec.bin) to the root folder,  four *.ini files to "ML" folder
I made card bootable - tried older and a new version of eoscard app. looked OK.
My Camera firmware-1.1.2.
So i put card to the camera, choose firmware update 1.1.2 ->> 1.1.2 = OK, firmware update OK, camera is back to canon menu.
I restart. Nothing. The same canon menu. Trash bin button doesnt work.
I tried over 10 times with no result. I am using ML 2.3 on my old 550d, there was no problem with installing it from the same toshiba card.
i googled some posts with similar problems but their solutions wasnt good for me.
Really interesting, any thoughts and ideas what i am doing wrong???????
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

1%

Are you using a 113 bin on 112?

fotojohni

Hi guys, back from a long shoot.  I have great news, using adobe speed-grade (I finally broke down and got the adobe cloud deal, I'm a student so this is awesome) you can really bring out the footage.  It looks really good and because it works so well I would recommend shooting underexposed by 1.5 stops, unless there are no blown highlights.  By doing this you save the highlight data and speedgrade can bring back the underexposed mids, then you just leave the shadows crushed for a cinematic look.  For the highlights you simply lower the gain and gamma, and slightly increase the blur for nice highlight bokeh that has a smooth roll off.

I recommend setting the camera to 120 Mbit per second with initial qp at 2 or 3 on vbr.  The result is that it is pretty reliable and very color gradable.  I've gotten footage that looks a lot like the BMC.  The BMC has 13.5 stops while the cannon has 11.3, so by under exposing by 1.5 stops you can bring the highlights just about to where the BMC is. 

**Do not attempt this if you want to colorgrade inside you non-linear editor, use a dedicated colorgrading program, it makes a big difference.

For internet streaming I recommend setting the camera to 30-40 Mb/s, init qp at 4 or 5. it saves a lot of space and will look identical after compression on the internet.

And for presentations with projectors shooting 800x600 I recommend setting at 20 Mb/s init qp = 8.

Hope this helps a bit.

oscaroo

Ah.
So if I don't want ridiculously sized movies and have to recompress using handbrake later, I should shoot at initqp = a value near 10? and non HD.

That's awesome to know.
Yay.

1%

Shoot with fixed qp = large movie.

Shoot with dynamic QP and you get a "normal" sized movie. So I just use rate control unless aiming for quality. I bumped up the max QPs to 30 actually.

720P is a moire mess and 60P.

kgv5

Quote from: 1% on April 23, 2013, 02:02:57 AM
Are you using a 113 bin on 112?

"bin" you mean autoexec.bin?
I used limitlessasif.bin, I thought you said this is ok for 112

oscaroo

Quote from: kgv5 on April 23, 2013, 09:55:08 AM

"bin" you mean autoexec.bin?
I used limitlessasif.bin, I thought you said this is ok for 112

Gday.
You're meant to rename whatever bin you use to "autoexec.bin" before using.

kgv5

Thanks for the reply but that was exactly what i did in the beginning. I renamed "limitlessasif.bin" to autoexec.bin, put it in SD root, no result  :(

1%

Well you have to load the developer fir from the first post in this thread to get it boot flagged. I think you're loading canon update I posted to let people downgrade.

You had the bin right the first time calling it autoexec.bin

kgv5

Yeeeaahh, that was the problem. Now it works !!!!  :D Thank you so much  :D

zhound

Thanks for all the great work.

I have the latest autoexec.bin with the new firmware. I noticed HDR video is not working. Seems like ISO is stuck. Changing the ISO from canon menus/buttons does nothing. But you can change it in ML menu and there's no AUTO option there. I'm doing this in LV. Maybe I missed something?

1%

You're right, its not flipping have to take a look... I bet its short by +4.

Yup that was it... I know display state is the same (checked, evf wasn't) .. hopefully malloc struct too.

Gradual Expo should be fixed from this too.

fotojohni

Anyone interested in whats going on with IPB and GOP and all that, take a look at this: http://dvd-hq.info/data_compression_3.php

Very comprehensive explanation for how video encoding works.

I have a question about the difference between rate control and vbr.  How does rate control differ?  CBR sounds like it already is rate control no?

1%

CBR and setting init QP mean no rate control at all. QP is fixed to what you set it.

Rate control switches QP based on I think frame size and buffer usage tries to go towards target. Uses Min/Max QP

VBR switches QPS trying to stay within Min/Max bit rate at around target.

Find the latest streameye and you'll be able to see what everything is doing.

This is why VBR is freezy (at least from my testing).. .can't generate min freezes, can't limit itself to max stops recording (no buffer message just break).

RC + and sometimes fixed QP will just throw away data, I bumped RC up to max QP of 30 when I implemented flush rate as that is what it was doing. You have to edit the config as I haven't made a new zip yet. Won't do it under most circumstances but we're trying out extremes here :)

On 5d3 they aren't having the green frame/truncated frame problems at QP1 because of faster CF cards it seems.

DTSET123

Quote from: fotojohni on April 24, 2013, 04:33:19 AM
Anyone interested in whats going on with IPB and GOP and all that, take a look at this: http://dvd-hq.info/data_compression_3.php

Very comprehensive explanation for how video encoding works.

I have a question about the difference between rate control and vbr.  How does rate control differ?  CBR sounds like it already is rate control no?

Great read- thank you!

fotojohni

From what I'm reading the IPB method could be used to encode extremely high quality video, the problem is that the encoder memory is limited to the memory of all the frames in between the I frame and the P frame.  Basically, it has to encode it all in a chunk like that because the B frames are based on the I frame (what comes before) and the P frame (what comes after).  If you want higher bitrates the number of B frames needs to be limited so that the buffer isn't overfilled.

Ideally a simple algorithm could be implemented such that 2.0x bit rate would make IPB at half the number of B frames as the normal compressor aims for, 3.0x would be a third, while .5x could have twice the number of B frames, etc. 

I really liked the 600d method of setting bitrates, but the IPB compression in this camera is also a huge advantage

From that article that I recommended earlier
"For high bitrates, it's usually preferable to use a GOP without any B-pictures"

How would this be done?

1%

I made IPP it was way harder on the processor than IPB or even IBB. Its also not canon menu friendly.

2.0x 3.0x that is all bullshit. What it does on 600D is trick the frame prediction function to go for larger frames and thus lower QP. I found the real QP on 600D but digic V doesn't use the JPCORE any-more. Neither method will work, we're not tricking anything here just setting the actual parameters.

You can set a QP offset for the B frames and then they will encode at a lower (or I guess higher) QP than the I frame. Right now all the frames are the same and there is no offset.

If you shrink the gop it will skip the P frame and encode IBB. You can also increase the gop and that seems to lower the load on the CPU and produce lower rates at similar QPs.

Really we need to do a bunch of tests and do some sort of SSIM comparison on actual quality, esp vs the 422 input. What works on x264 or PC encoders may not apply or even degrade quality. Those are the breaks of reversing a closed source black box solution.