Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

The settings you use are saying:

VBR method
Fixed QP 1
Target rate 80.

So theoretically you have a vid thats just QP1 all the way.  Should be same for CBR/RC/VBR. Not loading a config should produce same video except with CAVLC & profile 4.1.

I think someone needs to do low level analysis and find what mode is really best for what.  You can make videos from 20Mb/s to 400Mb/s. Have to find where the cutoff is, my default is RC because it handles most situations and does 60-120Mb/s, flush rate or not. Other people like fixed qp, other people like this or that.

For flash, still working on it. YN-468-II has a HZ on the box but HZ won't activate from canon menu. Rear curtain does seem to work tho. An array in memory gets filled with all prop data, its written to the prop and then the whole thing is erased. I have to try canon functions to change parameters, the prop won't work for curtain/sync/etc.

zhound

What? I am using the new Yongnuo flash triggers. I can see front/rear curtain in the camera menu. I am even using a vivitar ETTL flash and the trigger works with it. With this trigger you can sync past 1/180th also using HSS(if the flash support it).

Quote from: fotojohni on April 10, 2013, 08:08:20 PM

I have one feature request.  Canon in it's infinite wisdom removed the flash on rear curtain functionality from it's menus.  As a result I can't take great motion trail shots with a rear curtain flash if I'm using a non-canon flash.  I'm using a yongnuo speedlight, which is really excellent for the money.  The thing doesn't sync past 1/180 shutter, which is fine, but I would really like it to take rear curtain shots on 1/4 second shutter, which has produced fantastic results in the past.

1%

Yea, I have all menus enabled but some do not activate. Rear curtain is one thing that works. High speed does not, just kicks me back to previous screen.

electrichobo

so just compile from the nightly build and load it as normal? (sorry, new to the Dev versions)
6D

1%

Main ML repo might be behind. Compare with my repo first or grab a pre-made bin.

coutts

todo: merge 1%'s repo with main (and update to newest firmware version in the process)

1%

Have to make sure that doesn't wipe the platform folder just rename it on my side. Hopefully the update fixes wifi tethering and lv sending for me. That would make things complete. And of course have to disassemble/decompile new bin.

Malex

Quote from: coutts on April 11, 2013, 05:26:23 PM
todo: merge 1%'s repo with main (and update to newest firmware version in the process)

Hi I got a new 6D + 24-70mm (the 1st I received was acting weird) this one works fine.
This new 6D is on 1.1.3 , so is it ok to install ML on it?
Should I install 1.1.2 and this install ML, then update to 1.1.3??

1%

I don't think the updater will pass the checksum check. Wait till we 1.1.3.

fotojohni

Quote from: zhound on April 11, 2013, 02:06:09 AM
What? I am using the new Yongnuo flash triggers. I can see front/rear curtain in the camera menu. I am even using a vivitar ETTL flash and the trigger works with it. With this trigger you can sync past 1/180th also using HSS(if the flash support it).

Interesting, I have a wireless flash trigger and when I try to pull up the menu it tells me: "flash not connected or not recognized" I will update my .bin to the latest and see if that fixes it.

yeah, I can push the shutter speed to whatever I want, but when I push it past 1/180, the shutter curtain starts to cut part of the flash off.  I'll play around with it and see what works.

Thanks guys.

1%

All flash tweaks do so far is enable higher expo correction ad flash/no flash.

zhound

If your wireless trigger is not ETTL you won't have any access to the flash menus. All manual.

If I put my Vivitar flash directly on the hot shoe I also have limited functionality in the camera menu. It does let me do rear/front curtain, and flash EV compensation. Using the ETTL trigger allows for higher sync speeds and all the flash menus are open including flash bracketing etc. And remember to sync higher than 1/180th your flash has to support high speed sync.

Quote from: fotojohni on April 11, 2013, 10:31:04 PM
Interesting, I have a wireless flash trigger and when I try to pull up the menu it tells me: "flash not connected or not recognized" I will update my .bin to the latest and see if that fixes it.

yeah, I can push the shutter speed to whatever I want, but when I push it past 1/180, the shutter curtain starts to cut part of the flash off.  I'll play around with it and see what works.

Thanks guys.

zhound

Same here with a Vivitar flash. I suspect that 6D is tuned to work with canon's new flashes. Which makes these third party flashes not work so well. Using a ETTL trigger though seems to open all the menu functions whether your flash supports it or not.

EDIT: For your YN-468:

http://speedlights.net/2010/10/10/yongnuo-yn-468-flash-review/

""The YN468 has a sync mode button as well, unfortunately there is no HSS setting available. But there is another option to activate high speed sync apart from setting it on the strobe itself: you can change the sync mode in the camera menu, navigating to the yellow menu group, "Flash control" and then "external flash synch. setting". And yes, with the Yongnuo in the accessory shoe you can switch the 40D to Hi-Speed too! Unfortunately, it instantly jumps back to "1st curtain", so no high speed sync available. Sad news. But not unexpected."

Quote from: 1% on April 11, 2013, 02:53:29 AM
Yea, I have all menus enabled but some do not activate. Rear curtain is one thing that works. High speed does not, just kicks me back to previous screen.

1%

That sucks. Its got the high speed icon on the box.

I figured out some props for shutter and shutter range.... I am able to set 1/200 on screen but the photos still come out at 1/180 when TTL/metering kicks in.

Looking more into props... maybe can unlock 1/8k shutter and stuff like that. We'll see.

zhound

I will personally send you beer if you do this. Dead serious.

Quote from: 1% on April 12, 2013, 03:27:28 AM

Looking more into props... maybe can unlock 1/8k shutter and stuff like that. We'll see.

rafafinger

I bought a 6D. It is with firmware 1.13, and I can not install the Magic Lantern.
The message: Update file can not be found. Please check the memory card and reload the battey and try again.

Can someone help me how do I install?

1%

Have to wait till we update. I don't have new signed updater.fir to give you.

So far no go.

Flash off camera: can change shutter prop 2, and range, prop 1 won't change.
Flash ON: can't change range or prop 2 but can change prop 1 and it shows on the screen but resets with h/s press.

Valid values take the changes.

rafafinger

But as the home site has a banner saying it has the magic lantern to 6D?

DTSET123

rafafinger

Quote from: DTSET123 on April 12, 2013, 06:42:59 AM
you need 1.1.2

Yes I just installed the 1.1.2 that's the same warning, not work.

Would this, ok?
http://www.magiclantern.fm/download

DTSET123

no, you  need to go back - instructions on this post have been given like 25 times

Marsu42

Quote from: 1% on April 12, 2013, 03:27:28 AM

* I still don't quite understand what ml is able to do: If the Canon code resets the shutter (marketing kludge), can ml disable this by patching the Canon code?

* 1/200 x-sync doesn't seem to work by just enabling it, only as "hypersync" since the 2nd shutter comes down after 1/180s: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=14095.msg255627#msg255627

* Edit: While you're at it, feel free to try to circumvent the f8 limitation for Canon extenders (with Kenko extenders that cheat the camera it works) :->

kgv5

Hi, first of all thank You for your GREAT work!!
I am using ML on 550d from the beginning. Now i have also 6d.
Is HDR video feature works in latest build or not yet?
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

1%

HDR works fine.

I will probably have to cache hack it as changing props isn't working for out of range values.  The key is finding what is setting the prop and so far I've come up empty on most of it. I'll probably have to look for the addresses that get loaded into the props.

This is where it turns the range into props:
NSTUB(0xFF1C1CA4, str:tv_range_lx)

You can try to find this stub on other cameras, its probably similar.
600D: NSTUB(0xFF0BC694, AJ_guess_GUI_force_lock_display_tv)

1%

New stream analysis tools are opening 6D files!

Found out a few quick things:

* Gop seems to affect what QP is picked by dynamic configs. I have to investigate more
* Flush of 4 will produce high rates but be careful... it can drop frames. I proved with virtualdub.

The 4x4, 16x16, and 8x8 matrices seem to be used dynamically throughout the file. This would be the parameter to attack a la gop and flush rate.

*Gop setting has an issue, there are dwords in there and it does different things based on them.