Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fauxtographer

+1 for headphones

Also, what are the odds that if you guys get your hands on the 5D3 firmware and rip it apart, that we could see a similar HDMI output on the 6D.. are the internals of the two cameras really that different? Does the 5D3 have a different GPU etc?
6D | 24-105 f/4 | 70-200 f/4 | 28 - 35 - 50 - 50 - 135 |

1%

5d3 and 6D are pretty much identical in the FW.

Headphones are hard because I can't figure out the real audio chip and the only "headphone" related stuff pertains to the actual headphone jack. So I can enable that but its useless (maybe if you rip your camera apart and wire it in then it will work). I need to actually route audio from ADC -> DAC to be able to hear anything.

Once the chip is identified I can look through the datasheet and try to send commands to see if audio_ic_read/write are correct.

The update will possibly come out for both cameras, right now its just vaporware on 5d3 too.

fauxtographer

1% this is simply just a stupid question.

In the firmware, is there code that is controlling the way the encoder is gathering the data off the sensor. Or is it purely hardware that is doing this? I ask, because as well all know, the 5D3 has a base resolution of 5760 x 3840 which is roughly 22 Megapixel, which we divide by 3 and that equals 1920 x 1080. But with a total photo receptor count of 23.4 Megapixel we have roughly 1 and a bit megapixel that isn't used. How is that controlled? Is there a way to change that number? would that screw things up.

I only ask as the 6D doesn't have these magical sensor numbers, but can we make it have more appropriate numbers for sampling to 1080p? or is this some serious stuff...

I only ask this as an end user... with no knowledge of what I am talking about. haha

http://www.atomos.com/whats-new/#Atomos

Also, Atomos will be demoing the Ninja 2 with a 5D 3 this week at NAB, firmware out in May.

1%

The H264 encoder just encodes the LV HD buffer. It doesn't sample anything.

So you start with the same .422 image(s) in the buffer and then encode to
1. Really compressed H264 -throws lots away
2. Not so compressed H264 - doesn't throw as much away

This part is fine.

Other functions configure digic to read and make that HD buffer. So yes its possible to change those just how? Registers? A cache hack? Its not discovered yet.

It is possible as I somehow hacked 600D photo mode buffer to be video sized. Eventually that went away (i think it got reconfigured when HDMI was plugged in) but I have the hacks saved somewhere and I'll have to try again. Might be easier to do it through digic regs, that bootleg crop mode did zoom the image.

fauxtographer

Oh okay, I definitely learned something now. That actually makes a lot of sense. So it is basically takes all these .422 images and then encodes them with the H.264 encoder, I understand now.

So with the 600D, the digital zoom is the very idea I am think of...if it could somehow be ported, hacked or smashed into the 6D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AixwZupTyeA

This video is what I am talking about, I wonder if besides a 3x leap in crop, if there is a way to choose a different value. This could possibly reduce the moire quite a bit.

1%

Its a live constantly updating .422 but other than that pretty much right.

Some of the crop mode stuff is in 6D firmware but so far all it did was make a brick when trying it.

Resizing LV/HD is on the list, just very hard.

fauxtographer

It's best I don't even try helping with this stuff, I already hard bricked my Galaxy S3 and can't handle wrecking something else.

Just let me know how to help.

Stargaterunner

Just for Info:
New little firmware update from Canon
http://www.canonwatch.com/canon-eos-6d-firmware-update-released-version-1-1-3/

I hope with this update ML is working :-/. Should I try it ?.
6D Photos made in Germany :-)

a1ex

No, it will just refuse to boot.

Stargaterunner

Ok thanks for the info. I'll wait for an update from ML or downgrade the original firmware.
6D Photos made in Germany :-)

coutts

I used the 6D extensively this weekend using the autoexec.bin-Flush_tester release, seemed to be pretty stable - minus shoot malloc error with format dialog (could ignore, had another card with me).

Looking great 1%  ;)

1%

1. Fixes a phenomenon in which the Date/Time/Zone settings screen appears on the LCD display, after the user has already configured these settings. The values for the Date/Time settings may reset if the backup functions which retain those values do not perform properly.

That's it? Of all the bugs that is what you fix?

How do I go about porting/checking?

coutts

Quote from: 1% on April 09, 2013, 04:39:15 PM

That's it? Of all the bugs that is what you fix?

How do I go about porting/checking?
I can do it later today if you'd like, i like doing grunt work like checking stubs by hand :D

All you've gotta do is verify the stubs. Most likely stubs towards the start of the rom (cstart, etc) won't change but at some point canon added some code so everything after that point is shifted by a fixed amount. It's best to just check them all by hand though.

1%

Yes please. Good thing I can use some stubs to verify image position so I don't get mis aligned like with 5d3.

I really really hope they fixed some other things and didn't just pull a 600D where they fixed nothing.

* also need to know how to dump ram segment since I'll probably need a new one.

coutts

Quote from: 1% on April 09, 2013, 04:55:39 PM
Yes please. Good thing I can use some stubs to verify image position so I don't get mis aligned like with 5d3.

I really really hope they fixed some other things and didn't just pull a 600D where they fixed nothing.

* also need to know how to dump ram segment since I'll probably need a new one.
I highly doubt the ram segment has changed but I'll verify that tonight. If anything the position of it just changed. The ram functions seem to all be the same, like some kind of "library package" for use on multiple platforms.

most likely the rom will be like:

before:
[=start===============end=]

now:
[=start=======[newcode]========end=]

just a slight shift (if anything new added)

fauxtographer

Have you noticed if increasing the bitrate, reduces aliasing and moire? At least in the 6D?

a1ex

soma1975

Hi all,

long time lurker who has used ML on the 60D for ages with manual lenses.

Now I have a 6D I was wondering if this current release has a similar exposure override fix have proper live view exposure sim with manual lenses, and if there was currently any downside to using it?

Thanks in advance.

1%

I turned the fix for that on. It mostly works.

soma1975

Fantastic. Thanks 1%.

'Mostly works' is my 2nd favourite type of 'works'. :)

1%

On the adjustable adapter moving the "aperture" still darkens the screen.. at wide open it seems to keep correct exposure.

Marsu42

Just out of curiosity (and I plan to buy a 6d): Did you give up on the af patterns, or is there still hope for progress. I like this feature on my 60d and would miss it ...

1%

I have to see how it works on 5d3 and try to implement it that way. Xoring the af points does nothing and there are 2 orientations of them. So if you turn your camera sideways it will change to a different pattern via cfn.

In the 5d3 file it says they are available but I have no clue how it works and we have some of the same properties. Someone with 5d3 has to enlighten me or maybe I can figure something out from the FW, I haven't so far.

I miss them too.

a1ex

They are not working in 5D3, it has a gazillion of AF points, so the old code won't work.

fotojohni

This latest .bin is really, really good.  I almost wish that it would default to vbr flushrate = 4, qp = 1, bitrate = 8 because it's very reliable at that rate and produces good footage. 

I have one feature request.  Canon in it's infinite wisdom removed the flash on rear curtain functionality from it's menus.  As a result I can't take great motion trail shots with a rear curtain flash if I'm using a non-canon flash.  I'm using a yongnuo speedlight, which is really excellent for the money.  The thing doesn't sync past 1/180 shutter, which is fine, but I would really like it to take rear curtain shots on 1/4 second shutter, which has produced fantastic results in the past.

Also, Is there a way to do shutter sync through the remote trigger port in movie mode?