Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stargaterunner

@yannlesaout:
If you really interested to try ML on the 6D read the thread from the beginning to learn..

see post #832 (short instruction) http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3904.msg28473#msg28473
Its a developer version and risky!.
6D Photos made in Germany :-)

1%

I just got flush rates working... might help the fixed QP people.

Well, I get 200+ megabits and recorder shows no sign of stopping... but I'm stuck at

ASSERT: pHeader->pcsSignature == m_pcsSignature
at ./MovieRecorder/MovRecResource.c:471, task MovieRecorder
lv:1 mode:3

If I just patch it recording never stops and camera stays busy. Need to see what calls it and maybe patch that. So far no luck.

*ok.. we can do 4 frames of flush... no crashing... slightly better than stock?

Gop changing doesn't seem to do anything to the meta data, would have to see if real gop is changed in files.

Also maybe a thing on where the 30 minute limit comes from for real:
NSTUB(0xFF0EA298, str:MOVW_GetMaxFrameCount_FramePerSec)
*(arg0) = 1800*(*0x74F94)->off_0x18C

So need some more testing before I give it to you all.

Exmem chunking works:

yannlesaout

Ok thank you for the answer.
I'll wait a safe version, I'm not a developper at all  ;)

Yann

DTSET123

It records fine but it does not play back. It seems that when it hits 150mbs or higher the playback gets stuck

1%

Same problem as 600D with higher rates... I think we've topped out the player finally. Flush 1 allowed QP 1 recording without stopping and went over 200, wish it worked to write out the files.

Maybe its possible to comment out the avi conversion and convert the dats on the computer.

fauxtographer

6D | 24-105 f/4 | 70-200 f/4 | 28 - 35 - 50 - 50 - 135 |

1%

Flush rate is working... but not flush <4.. at least that won't close/convert files.

So... I made a 400Mb/s video hardly anything wants to play it back. Frame by frame most stuff is there... a few are glitched out. I was overriding rate control, maybe will have better luck with real CBR config since they look like when RC was running out of QPs.

That recently posted lvrec + encode Jpeg function would be absolute win here. I think this is violating H264 spec by a metric assoload.I think spec is only 120. I set target @ 200 so maybe that needs to be adjusted when overriding since its almost twice that all the way through. 15 seconds was 800MB. But good to see camera performance is there to do what we want.

CBR and setting target higher seems to help... maybe all_I would be good here as I think the damage is from inter frame compression.

Good frame:

Damaged Frame:

I think at 400Mb/s the IPB vs I might not matter anymore.

All I has problems stopping due to complexity. Just increasing target (without init QP) on rate control to like 200 or so and speeding the flush rate is producing really nice results on IPB24 rate control.

DTSET123

I had similar results when I tried qp1, but again if the scene is complicated (like moving grass) it wont even start recording(flush set to auto). I just recorded at 160mbs at qp 1-5 modified in RCini. It plays back in premiere but skips frames. Now Im trying to convert to yuv422 using mpeg streamclip to see if it will play smoothly but it is a SLOW process

1%

Auto flush is just regular canon dynamic flush rate. 4 is max speed. Also... all I with upped flush rate runs out of QPs and has defects. IPB24 with rate control and increased target (maybe even past 200) seems to be winner in terms of not stopping and not seeing defects.

Playback from the card is skippy, playback from HDD isn't (I only have USB2 reader). I usually check everything in virtualdub and go frame by frame to see if anything skips or if there are missing lines... As with increased flush 600D video the rolling shutter is more noticeable.

DTSET123

QuotePlayback from the card is skippy, playback from HDD isn't
mmm..., I don't know. I copied the file to my hard drive which is SSD before playing it. It finished converting and it is still skipping except that a file is 10gb instead of 2. Maybe like you said the flush needs to me at 4?

DTSET123

Its nice to be able to record at qp1, But im out of ideas as how to play it back. I tried converting but all attempts failed. windows media player and vlc attempt to play it but it is not smooth at all and in premier it is just blank green. Any ideas?

fauxtographer

So increasing to 200, what could that help improve? Overall sharpness, perhaps better moire control?
6D | 24-105 f/4 | 70-200 f/4 | 28 - 35 - 50 - 50 - 135 |

oscaroo

Bug report .. maybe.
Gday.

I'm holidaying in Egypt now and wanted to take a bulb timer photo of the Nile at night. Which I am, right now, thanks to ML.

I get a live-view crash, and if I off-on the camera, then I get error 80. Taking out the battery and putting it back in helps.

What I did is as follows:
- Set Bulb mode on Mode dial (which also, incidentally lost the thingy with the letters. It fell off)
- Set a 1minute exposure on ML.
- Take a photo. (this step may not be necessary)
- Activate Live view while on Bulb, with ML set to 1minute.
Result: LV does not actually show up on screen. The mirror does flip up but nothing is displayed.

Through the canon menu I have the exposure simulation on, and on ML I had the exposure overide on, then off - and it crashed on both cases.

Nevertheless, a battery out and in fixed it. Yay.

There's a crash00.log that says:
ASSERT: ControlIso <= LVGAIN_MAX_ISO
at ./LvCommon/LvGainController.c:837, task Evf
lv:1 mode:4

Magic Lantern version : v2.3.NEXT.2013Mar16.6D112
Mercurial changeset   : 0904f594e250 (unified) tip
Built on 2013-03-17 02:28:28 by user@D610.
Free Memory  : 448K + 3012K

a1ex

Disabling exposure override should fix it. Sounds like ML tried to simulate the bulb exposure (according to the bulb timer value), but it tried to set a very high ISO which Canon code didn't like.

With expo override off, ML doesn't touch the ISO in bulb mode, so you may want to repeat the test. If it still crashes, it's probably a bigger bug hidden somewhere.

Lowering MAX_ISO_BV in lens.h should help.

Edit: for 6D, MAX_ISO_BV is 136.

1%

Yep, bulb mode is the one with the problem on override. Max ISO is good for the other modes. If I just lower it then it will cripple the other modes & video, will it not?

Maybe need to add if something like if mode == bulb max iso = X type of thing...

I drove around and shot more video, have to check it. Stock IPB is garbage but rate controlled 60-80 looks good and with flush rate it handles scenes where the rate goes into 100s-140s for as long as it needs to. I haven't had a stop with it yet. Its a balance between stability and super high rates. I dunno what scene really needs 400Mb/s. I did take some ~300Mb/s stuff that didn't have defects and seemed to play back.

Look at all the videos you have and make sure they aren't skipping because of defects. Check it out real fast frame by frame in virtualdub. These vids violate specs for ANY player. Also convert to PNG and make an image sequence that way

Still need to patch audio somehow... maybe 600D will shed light on it with working 25p mode. Separate wav is working but only for under 2 mins. I haven't tried to shoot concurrently with video yet.

Reboot needs a fix to detect if recorder really stopped other than bytes written and bitrate, with flush sped up that instant rate is 0 a lot and buffer is pretty empty. A reliable detection method will kill all false positives.

P.S. The moire is unaffected by encoding. Its present in the 422 buffer which is theoretically MAX image quality.

oscaroo

Yep!
You were correct.
With bulb timer on at 1m with expo override on = hang.
with bulb timer on at 1m with expo override off = no hang - ok

a1ex

Well, 136 is Canon's limit (that's ISO 25600). You still have digital ISO of +1EV (so you can still get ISO 51200).

You won't get obscene ISOs like 819200 in movie mode, but you will still have them in photo mode via display gain.

1%

51200 is the most I get from movie mode. Double that with HTP enabled and that 1EV of canon gain. I get higher from the canon menu in photo mode LV.

So worth looking at the limit.

a1ex

You can also boost ISO from vignetting correction (probably 2-3 EV), see lv-img-engio.c:512.

1%

I just tried the fix and movie mode is unaffected. You can't make H1 and H2 isos in photo mode anymore but you can select them from the canon menu. Also lose one ISO with HTP. But these high ass ISOs... I don't think anyone uses them.

I think the problem is bub mode doesn't allow iso expansion, you can't select H1/H2 from the canon menu either. 5d3 should be affected by this bug too in theory.

a1ex

Nope, only the 6D has this limit. When I wrote the bulb expsim feature, I've used the 5D3.

1%

Odd.. I wonder what is different and if it could be patched to uhm... match 650D, lol.

Mirazimov

Hi! How to use this firmware? after installing it in my camera I have it does not respond to the power button.What am I doing wrong? or firmware is not yet ready to be released? Willing to help with testing and do not know how? Thank you!! :(

sorry - the answer on page 8 :D
Mirazimov Photographer http://www.mirazimov.com
Canon RebelT2i, Canon 6D and a lot of optics.

1%

You use it just like ML on any other camera.

.fir file to set boot flag. autoexec.bin is the executable. card has to be boot/dev flagged with something like eos card. ML folder for support files.

If you read the thread this question has been asked/answered like 50 times.

Cedric C.

Hi
here is a short film i shot with my Canon 6D, 24-105 f4 L, cinestyle profile and Magic Lantern !
Works really fine !!
I just missed the headphones.
http://vimeo.com/63472625