Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stargaterunner

Bug:
Set electronic level in Display (not in Liveview tested), then you turn of the camera and then turn it on, the system can crash and the electronic level freeze or is very slow. Reinstalling of the firmware is possible because bootflag is defekt.
6D Photos made in Germany :-)

1%

The level is bound to live view instance. So yea, it crashes out when you do that. Will have to make sure ML isn't doing anything with it at startup... its not supposed to be. Didn't even think to turn off the camera with level dialog up :)

Just tested it. It didn't do anything but blank out the level. I have this dialog turned off for photo. When I hit erase with the frozen level, ML menu comes up and going into a different mode or movie mode fixes it.

fotojohni

Quote from: 1% on March 07, 2013, 11:46:52 PM
We have 2 different sensor sizes here that have to be sampled with line skipping... even 1dC still skipping. 5d3 has a different sensor and a different resizing algo. Thats probably why they have less moire.

The 1dc doesn't line skip, it resizes to something a little smaller than aps-h(whatever is exactly 4K) so there is literally not going to be moire as long as someone doesn't remove the AA filter from inside the camera.  The 1dc is for all extensive purposes a very good option.  The thing I don't get is that there must be full sampling at some point for the 5d3.  Why can't the 6d do this?  Is it really a sensor level problem?  I think it must be a firmware issue. 

Also, dose the camera convert to YUV just because of subcolor sampling allowing for half the resolution in the color channels?  Or is there some other reason?

Also, I have a bug, my magic zoom flikers when using on 720p

Malex

Quote from: fotojohni on March 08, 2013, 07:49:53 AM
Also, I have a bug, my magic zoom flikers when using on 720p
I think it's not a bug, it's the same on all Canon @ 720p 60p

1%

It looks in sync to me on 720. I tried 1080/720/640 both large and full screen. maybe flickers once when it starts. And yea, other cameras have it much worse.

QuoteThe 1dc doesn't line skip, it resizes to something a little smaller than aps-h

The crop mode doesn't line skip. If they have any regular mode then it line skips. Still same tech from 6D/600D/etc.

QuoteAlso, dose the camera convert to YUV just because of subcolor sampling allowing for half the resolution in the color channels?

Probably not the only reason. Most cameras have native YUV instead of RGB. I know red might have native RGB, what about bmcc?

No full sampling at any point, nor does there have to be. It sees the whole image with the skips. If they could sample the whole thing why even bother. It *is* a firmware issue, the video should always have been cropped and the full view should have been a secondary option.

Fallen over FPS override image gallery: I straightened them up so they weren't all just garbage. Everything has a different image size. Some are 1804, 1814, 1690 for one even.

http://imgur.com/a/RBBtm

fotojohni

Quote from: Malex on March 08, 2013, 08:20:00 AM
I think it's not a bug, it's the same on all Canon @ 720p 60p

Quote from: 1% on March 08, 2013, 04:18:29 PM
It looks in sync to me on 720. I tried 1080/720/640 both large and full screen. maybe flickers once when it starts. And yea, other cameras have it much worse.

okay, I've seen this in my 600, I also want to note, I was able to record 720 @ 120mb, not sure what's actually happening.  First time I tried the buffer filled up in about 2 seconds.  Second time was gravy.  More snow video :) I'm getting real tire of snow.

Quote from: 1% on March 08, 2013, 04:18:29 PM
Probably not the only reason. Most cameras have native YUV instead of RGB. I know red might have native RGB, what about bmcc?

No full sampling at any point, nor does there have to be. It sees the whole image with the skips. If they could sample the whole thing why even bother. It *is* a firmware issue, the video should always have been cropped and the full view should have been a secondary option.

Fallen over FPS override image gallery: I straightened them up so they weren't all just garbage. Everything has a different image size. Some are 1804, 1814, 1690 for one even.

http://imgur.com/a/RBBtm

what's going on there? That's crazy!  Maybe that would work for some art house work.  It looks as if for part of the image both the U and V channels are set at full, resulting in the magenta. 

edit: Okay, I've just done a test with the camera and found that shifting to black and white makes no difference with moire.  Does black and white occur after h.264 codec or is it truly just the Y cannel? 

xcreativ

Cameras:Canon 6D, Canon EOS 550D.
Lens: Sigma AF 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM, Sigma AF 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM, CANON EF 50 f/1.8 II, CANON EF-S 55-250 mm f/4-5.6 IS.
Sound: ZOOM H1, Prof Shotgun Uni-Directional Condenser Mic EM-320E.

1%

Black and white is probably just saturation at 0. It re-sizes all the channels, its not just the color.

DTSET123

So, if anyone cares, I just tested this card: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/854368-REG/SanDisk_SDSDX2_032G_X46_32GB_SDHC_Memory_Card.html

It benches: 39.2 (x8=313.6mb/s)
Override RCini to qp 1 and it averages about 135-140 (IPB) Looks dam GOOD!
However, it crashes when pointed to complex scenes :( it goes over 250 and CRASH! It did not pass the resolution chart test!
Any suggestions?

1%

oscaroo

I just installed it on my 6d.
I had previously used the 2.2x version of ML on my 50d.
The 2.3 version on the 6d is /amazing/.
I love the new menus!

The features I love work, thanks all for the hard work.
Except - audio tagging doesn't work (after photo taken press 'set'). Looks like the microphone doens't work if video mode is off.
*shrug.
Except - Rating the photos on review results in them simply being rotated.  :)
Aside from that, I'm a very happy customer.
Yay!

I also love the exposure adjust on review.

1%

The voice tags/wav will work as soon as I figure out how to send the stop dma command correctly. I think its function(address, dma code, something else). I need to be able to pass current buf though and I don't know how.

Also, my tokina cracked in half last night  :'(

Found some interesting functions:

NSTUB(0xFF588630, str:[EffectWorkResizePath]_SetParameterEffectWorkR)

NSTUB(0xFF74C134, str:[EffctDrv]_ResizeHdVram_base)

oscaroo

I also found out the ML breaks my wifi remote shoot (via phone). I can view the image to remote shoot, but then it dies when I take a photo - the photo isn't saved.

if I boot the camera pressing the 'set' button and it says "Magic OFF" ... wifi remote shoot (to phone) still crashed in the same manner.

Not a huge issue, i'll take batt off and then shoot instead with oldschool 10sec timer and then use the android app to transfer pics successfully.

I haven't had time to assess whether it still works with a non ML memory card, but even if it doesn't, I still like shooting video at low frame rates :D. Sometime the buffer gets full ridiculously quick, meh, I just pick another FPS override. It seems to like as low as 10 fps, and stuff below that just makes it go poop.

Upload to webservice still works.
I dunno yet if GPS works. I hope it does.

1%

I fixed the level at startup thing, still needs work for mode switches and photo mode. I know remote shoot is wonky. I have to work on that + hacking it into something useful. GPS should work.

8fps is as far as we got before getting the low light defects.

fotojohni

I just shot 16gb of material last night at 120mb/s, it looks nothing short of amazing.  I used almost exclusively macro shots in a new kind of cooking video type thing.  I think I will put music to it.  The dinner tasted damn good, I shot the thing in real time and it didn't crash once!  I reviewed the footage, I'm going to review in more depth on my eizo photo monitor but shooting low depth of field there were no problems anywhere.  God the noise profile on q=1 is so nice.

I'm so happy with this.

edit: oh my god. I have the vertical bands.  On a macbook it looks excellent, but upon closer inspection, 200% viewing magnification they are unmistakable in dark, low contrast areas when shot on marvels advanced... Still screen shots it looks great, but when it is moving you can see it.  Only there when you look for it.  But wow, I might be driven mad by this.  I shot at iso 3200, all-i 24p

edit: Okay, I did some tests and found that the banding only exists when the shutter is manually overridden to 1/48, and not when it is at 1/44 or 1/60.  I would love to have 180 degree footage, but I think I can make due with 1/44.  Though I don't know to what extent this will make my footage bad (it could be a lot), in any case, that's where the vertical banding problem lies.

1%

Post screen shots. I don't seem to get any lines at 1/48.. The lines are from fps override and sensor timing. They show in photo lv too.

Might have another issue with shutter values if I can reproduce it somehow.

fotojohni

This is at 1/63 of a second.  All-i, vbr @bitrate = 12 initq = 1, iso = 3200

This is at 1/48 of a second.  All-i, vbr @bitrate = 12 initq = 1, iso = 3200

I want to note that they look exactly the same pretty much.  You will not see a difference on a monitor that's not a photoeditor.  It looks excellent on a macbook, maybe this is to be expected and perhaps this was gravity's issue from before.  His monitor was "too good"

noisyboy

Quote from: fotojohni on March 10, 2013, 12:56:15 AM
edit: oh my god. I have the vertical bands.  On a macbook it looks excellent, but upon closer inspection, 200% viewing magnification they are unmistakable in dark, low contrast areas when shot on marvels advanced... Still screen shots it looks great, but when it is moving you can see it.  Only there when you look for it.  But wow, I might be driven mad by this.  I shot at iso 3200, all-i 24p

edit: Okay, I did some tests and found that the banding only exists when the shutter is manually overridden to 1/48, and not when it is at 1/44 or 1/60.  I would love to have 180 degree footage, but I think I can make due with 1/44.  Though I don't know to what extent this will make my footage bad (it could be a lot), in any case, that's where the vertical banding problem lies.

I have this too! I seem to have it on ANY settings in LV. When in video mode, just pop your body cap on so no light is getting in and then slightly ease it off to let in just a tiny bit of light and you can see loads of vertical lines appear. If you can't recreate it this way then I'll just try and upload a vid tomorrow (need sleep now). Don't think this has anything to do with shutter speed and I didn't enable FPS override.

1%

I can't tell a difference on this laptop. Going to try a 1080P big lcd. Can you process it to be more noticeable?

If you can see it on the LV... its pre-encoder. FPS override stuff is way more visible.

Tried the lens or body cap thing, zoomed in on LV, no lines.

fotojohni

Quote from: 1% on March 10, 2013, 05:27:46 AM
I can't tell a difference on this laptop. Going to try a 1080P big lcd. Can you process it to be more noticeable?

If you can see it on the LV... its pre-encoder. FPS override stuff is way more visible.

I'm not sure.  It's very hard to see in LV even with a low contrast picture style like marvels.  I'm not sure if its placebo honestly.  But it's unmistakable one the monitor.  I'm really kind of over it, I can get rid of it by crushing a stop of black, I'm not going to get frazzled by it.

Here's the 1/48th with a massive contrast boost and shadows luma boost.

The noise profile is fascinating on this camera.

miha.mohoric

Hello.

Sorry for interacting but I have one really basic question. Right now I am in Nepal filming documentary about street children with my 6d camera. I realized that I need time lapsing for the film but the problem is that shutter release for 6d is imposible to get in kathmandu.
Can you be so kind and tell me how can I install the latest development kit on my canon 6d. I have been working with ML for long time but I never installed the developer kit and that is the only option I have at that moment. Please tell me the steps how can I do it (I know that is not final version but at least I will be able to use a few features).

Thanks again and again sorry for interacting.

Best regards, Miha

fotojohni

Quote from: miha.mohoric on March 10, 2013, 06:19:12 AM
Hello.

Sorry for interacting but I have one really basic question. Right now I am in Nepal filming documentary about street children with my 6d camera. I realized that I need time lapsing for the film but the problem is that shutter release for 6d is imposible to get in kathmandu.
Can you be so kind and tell me how can I install the latest development kit on my canon 6d. I have been working with ML for long time but I never installed the developer kit and that is the only option I have at that moment. Please tell me the steps how can I do it (I know that is not final version but at least I will be able to use a few features).

Thanks again and again sorry for interacting.

Best regards, Miha

As far as I know 1% has single handedly made this a reality.  Many, many sincere thanks.
Thanks to coutts as well

Quoted from Teo770:
I finaly success in instaling ML on Canon 6D, thanks all !
For other newbies like me, steps are:

- Make the SD card bootable using EOScard:
http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/3rd_party_software

- Get ML 2.3 from ML website:
http://bitbucket.org/magiclantern/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-v2.3.550D.60D.600D.50D.500D.5D2.zip

- Get 6d-112.fir from:
http://bit.ly/ZgvGUf

- Get the last autoexec.bin.something renaming it to autoexec.bin
from: https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads
+ 4 .ini files at the end of listing: h264.ini, cbr.ini, vbr.ini, rc.ini

- Place the new autoexec.bin and 6d-112.fir in the homedir of the SD card
- Place the .ini files in ML dir of the SD card

- Put SD card in camera and update firmware while in M mode. Restart. That's it.

quoted from Noisyboy:
This is for anyone else as dumb as me! Props to the original poster! All working! Thanks guys.

Oh and in addition to this - 1% has handily put the ini's plus autoexec all in a tasty bite-sized zip folder which you'll find here:https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads   

miha.mohoric

Thank you sooooo much. I really appreciate that.

Good luck and thank you all for doing amazing job.

Miha ;)

sparedog

Quote from: fotojohni on March 10, 2013, 05:42:43 AM
I'm not sure.  It's very hard to see in LV even with a low contrast picture style like marvels.  I'm not sure if its placebo honestly.  But it's unmistakable one the monitor.  I'm really kind of over it, I can get rid of it by crushing a stop of black, I'm not going to get frazzled by it.

Doesn´t seem to be any of the lines on my stuff, shot at 24p, 1/50. I am using an eizo coloredge, but would be interested if you see them on your monitor, please take a look at this still.
http://postimage.org/image/q50p5zfrx/

Getting the image out of quicktime was a PITA and probably has introduced all sorts or artifacts converting it to a pct then to a jpeg - and it shrunk it to this small size, it was shot at 1080 :(
One thing, might it be from using a flat profile? Stretching the darks out could actually introduce banding? This was shot using the vision profile from milk.

edit: why cant i get the img tags to work here?

1%

Looking at it on the on the big monitor I can kinda see it... but it looks like a noise pattern if anything. It is vertically shaped.

Noise reduction on/off makes a difference? I also set my marvels down to sharpness -1.

Here is the FPS noise comparison. Very easy to see.

Looking with a more detailed screen does the pattern match?