Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gravitatemediagroup

yeah, i'm about to test a 45mbs card without ML and see if it helps.

my 6D is slowly becoming the worst investment of a camera I've ever made. 
I have a wedding coming up this Saturday that I would like to use it as a B/C cam
but I just don't think I can trust it.

Am I supposed to have 2 versions of Autoexec on the card?
1 of them is the latest with a .bin
the other is an older (possibly original) that doesn't have a .bin
without "the original" the camera won't turn on.

gravitatemediagroup

yep, I'm over it.

anybody wanna buy a 6D?

first couple weeks of having it I got great low light performance.  post ML has been garbage.

1%

it will only load autoexec.bin you can have as many of whatever on the card.

ml isn't changing the hd buffer or iso performance so it is what it is.

DTSET123

Quoteyeah, i'm about to test a 45mbs card without ML and see if it helps.
Can you please run it through ML benchmarks and post results
Thanks!

1%

I've been using slow non-uhs card since the 6D ep card fell apart and it still records video... I mean it stops more often but not a disaster or anything. When I finally send it in for rma (have to put the 50gb of stuff somewhere), I'm sure it will pick higher qps and have nicer video again but not like it will get more stable or tell you how to pick correct settings ;)

gravitatemediagroup

then I guess I got a bad camera

Malex

Quote from: gravitatemediagroup on March 05, 2013, 06:12:25 AM
then I guess I got a bad camera

I just baught a 6D I'm still waiting for it to arrive, even though I didn't receive it yet I'm glad to get my 1st full frame camera, I got it mainly because of great low light performance, and because I knew I could install ML.

I read that you are not happy with it, and I'd like to understand why ? (I hope everybody is not feeling like you...)

Malex

Quote from: 1% on March 05, 2013, 12:37:35 AM
I've been using slow non-uhs card since the 6D ep card fell apart and it still records video...

What do you mean "6D ep card fell apart and it still records video..." ?  Sounds like your 6D broke but still works a little, it's scary...

teo770

Malex: I got the 6D after having a 5D Mark II and a Nikon D600. To summup, for this price tag, this is the best full frame camera available right now. D600 is great (focus points, mpixels, headphone jack...etc) but for the video, the 6D, as the 5D mark II&III support MagicLantern, let you change the aperture while recording (no Nikon cam allow this) and in my opinion features as moire/aliasing as the 5D Mark II, no more. 5D MarkIII is an alternative is you want to spend extra $1000.

Add to the 6D body features (low light perfs +++) the power of MagicLantern, you've got a realy great camera. Great for photos great for videos.

Only my opinion.
My gear: CANON 6D / 40mm f2.8 STM / 20mm f2.8 / 24-105 f4 IS / Flash 90EX / Grip BG-E13

Stargaterunner

Hello,
I try the silent picture mode in ML and I get 422 file. So far so good :-).
My problem is, what ist the correct resolution from the yuv422 files. All programs that i have tried (yuv tools, 422toimage, xnview...and many more), dont' recognize the picture. The best result with wrong colors so far is 1816 x 1210.
Is there a solution for my problem?

thanks
6D Photos made in Germany :-)

sparedog

I stepped out for a while and I come back to see the autoexec.bin.WifiOverlay
Are you working on getting video into the eos remote app via wifi? Excited =D

xcreativ

Earlier, in another thread, I wrote and received the reply:
Quote from: xcreativ on September 10, 2012, 01:40:46 AM
Is it possible to make a setting "Audio" in the section "Input Source", reversed L: int R: ext, so that a record was with L: ext (external) and R: int (internal)? Is it possible to implement a new version of the firmware? If not why? The fact that I have an external microphone, which provides mono sound on the right to the left channel.
Quote from: a1ex on September 10, 2012, 08:06:41 AM
On AK4646 cameras it's not possible, it's a hardware limitation.
Quote from: 1% on September 11, 2012, 05:51:27 AM
What about L to L external. R to internal? R could be broken or not exist.

Is it possible to implement this function in 6D or he, too hardware limitation?
Cameras:Canon 6D, Canon EOS 550D.
Lens: Sigma AF 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM, Sigma AF 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM, CANON EF 50 f/1.8 II, CANON EF-S 55-250 mm f/4-5.6 IS.
Sound: ZOOM H1, Prof Shotgun Uni-Directional Condenser Mic EM-320E.

1%

What do you mean "6D ep card fell apart

64gb Patriot EP card I used on 600D then 6D fell apart from too many insertions. Have another for 600D but have to rma this one. Until then stuck with the crappy 32gb card.

QuoteIs there a solution for my problem?

Yes, an easy one. Get the gimp .422 plugin and manually set the size per image or use 422 to image and edit the xml file to have all of your sizes. We have likie 3 of them. Zoom size, photo size, movie size. High res pics aren't fixed yet so don't use those.

QuoteAre you working on getting video into the eos remote app via wifi? Excited =D

I've tried. Seems like encoder is cut off to communicate with the wifi IC. This is just fixing another guy's problem of leaving wifi on and trying to use ML menus. It might work to capture .422s or lv jpegs over wifi and make a movie that way. Don't know how fast the throughput really is yet.

Quotein my opinion features as moire/aliasing as the 5D Mark II, no more

I got way less moire on 600D but its not full frame. I bet digic IV resizing was worse on full frames. 6D is probably an improvement... I think still not enough. They really really should have kept the crop-mode.

QuoteIs it possible to implement this function in 6D or he, too hardware limitation?

Not sure yet... appears to be separate L/R audio at least in canon functions. IC is labeled AK4646 but registers appear different and using the IC over serial is not shown in the data-sheet.  650D does include serial in the datasheet and uses a similar IC. I got as far as trying to see breakdown pics to check if they lied on the IC label too. Did not find any.

First we need to have some control over this thing before we try separate channels and all the good stuff. I want to have headphone and canon free recording like 600D too. Still work in progress though. I got this camera like 2 months ago maybe.

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: Malex on March 05, 2013, 10:50:42 AM
I just baught a 6D I'm still waiting for it to arrive, even though I didn't receive it yet I'm glad to get my 1st full frame camera, I got it mainly because of great low light performance, and because I knew I could install ML.

I read that you are not happy with it, and I'd like to understand why ? (I hope everybody is not feeling like you...)

when you get it, shoot in some low light with various ISO and see if you get some crazy vertical lines in your footage.

teo770

gravitatemediagroup: You're perhaps talking of "banding". I had this problem with one of my 5D MarkII. If you see banding in iso <or= 6400 you'd better return the camera. Banding in low light areas is a well known Canon issue. My 6D is not affected this time.

Be sure to use a genuine Canon battery whyle testing banding cause some chinese battery can cause weird stuff sometimes. (As banding is a kind of electronic waved noise)

My gear: CANON 6D / 40mm f2.8 STM / 20mm f2.8 / 24-105 f4 IS / Flash 90EX / Grip BG-E13

xcreativ

it is vertical banding, is not is?
vertical banding is enhanced when the "priority of lights", and is typical of the lack of ALL Canon FF cameras. CROP on too, but less. I, too, was angry about this, here is my petition:

http://www.change.org/ru/петиции/firmware-correcting-the-defect-vertical-banding-canon-5d-mark-2-in-videorecord

I wrote about this in the Russian representative Canon, they was told that would deal with the issue, but that this effect is a design feature of the Canon cameras.

Once you talk about it, I suggest that the joint efforts to seek solutions to problems Canon vertical banding. Like I said - this is not an isolated incident, and not a single marriage - vertical banding appears on all 5d Mark 2 that I tested (5-6), many other owners have reported this problem. On 5d Mark 3, which I held in my hands also observed vertical banding. At 6d, at first glance, the vertical banding is less visible than 5d Mark 2.

Magic Lantern team may be able to do something about it.
Lens: Sigma AF 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM, Sigma AF 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM, CANON EF 50 f/1.8 II, CANON EF-S 55-250 mm f/4-5.6 IS.

1%

I think the banding he has is the sensor timing banding. Turn fps override to 2fps and point at dark area. Zoom in and you see vertical color cuts in the image spaced at regular intervals.

I said to try fps override like 24/25/26, etc to see if it goes away at one point. There is probably a service mode adjustment for this and canon would be able to fix it. That or sensor is really busted.

coutts

sparedog

Quote from: gravitatemediagroup on March 05, 2013, 07:32:32 PM
when you get it, shoot in some low light with various ISO and see if you get some crazy vertical lines in your footage.
Malex, dont worry, your new camera will be awesome in low light, just as everyone else´s 6D is performing. My low light footage is stella

1%

Yep, he is the only one with that problem. I can see if it was something ML changed but its not. Unless he has FPS override on the whole time.

Maybe try the whole zip as configured.... I dunno, I'd be altering the timing and see if it would go away if this happened to me. Barring that I'd sent to service or look into that service software that does the adjustments.

Malex

Quote from: gravitatemediagroup on March 05, 2013, 07:32:32 PM
Ok I'll do that, without ML, and with ML.

Quote from: 1% on March 05, 2013, 04:56:59 PM
64gb Patriot EP card I used on 600D then 6D fell apart from too many insertions.
Ha Ok, I understand now, your Sdcard broke, not your 6D.

@teo770 and @sparedog : Yup, I checked many reviews before I finally decided to get one (not only reviews of 6D, I checked 5Dm3, Gh3, Blackmagic, Sony VG900 and A99) and 6D won my choice for different reasons, and you guys are confirming it's a great camera, so yeah I'm not worrying.
Its big flaw for me and many people is still no 1080@60p! It's a shame! But well, we can't have it all...
If I really need to do slowmotion, I'll get a GoPro 3 BlackEdition or rent a Fs700.

fotojohni

Quote from: Malex on March 06, 2013, 12:12:37 AM
Ha Ok, I understand now, your Sdcard broke, not your 6D.

Yeah, that was scary.  Glad it's not the camera.

I've worked with the 5d mark ii and I can honestly say the low light performance makes it worth it.  The 5d mark ii has this weird quality where the footage looks slightly fuzzy in low light if you don't nail the focus perfectly (something that's very difficult to do with open aperture in low light).  It can be very annoying, the footage is still great, and the fuzziness is vaguely reminiscent of film, but the 6d doesn't suffer from this problem, at least until you start under exposing at 12800, and for that reason the footage looks much cleaner.

I don't know about event shooting, or documentaries, but for narrative film work sharpness issues and moire should be the last thing on anyone's mind with a full frame camera.  I never really understood the issue.  You buy a full frame to shoot open aperture and get that magic look, moire is an issue when your actor wears a weird shirt, not for your background, I mean the only time I am seeing moire is for footage that I would never use anyway and fortunately for narrative work you will likely have that choice.  Just my humble opinion as a university film maker.

I'm still waiting on this notoriously bad New England winter to break.  Then I will upload some nature.  I have some night snowstorm video, the camera is indeed semi-weather proof as I had a good deal of water soaking on mine.  The snow looks magical in the rays cast by various lights.  Wouldn't have been possible to capture on my budget with any other camera.  The $1000 savings over the mk iii was invested in quality film era glass.  Pentax 50mm 1.4 (manually removed the aperture pin, declicked aperture, absolutely the nicest lens I have ever used in filmmaking and I've used some nice ziess 35s and 50s, nothing can touch the bokeh on this guy), nikon 35mm f2, tamron 105mm f2.5 pentax 135mm f2.5 and tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4, all for $800, I'll put the last $200 into quality sound recording (can't wait for the audio monitoring)... AND... magic lantern running at 120mb/s on a massively cheaper 64gb sd card instead of a stupid compact flash. 

1%

That compact flash would let us save uncompressed most likely. :(

I like that SD is cheaper but I want 4:2:2 color out of a $2k+ camera. I think they want to fsck all the fx people and shake em down for some higher end packages.

Look at moire on this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpNVUzXiZFY
Defect is one thing but the moire on the fences and grates kinda annoys me. Yes you can shoot around it but you'll never know what will start doing it until you start filming a scene... and then what you tell your whole team to move or buy that filter that jams up the mirror box?

IMO we need an update too to fix the resizing. I need to find a moire scene and check on HDMI since the resizing is different.

xcreativ

Do you think Canon will release the update gets rid of moire in the coming year? I think 6D selling well, and they have yet to release updated lack of motivation to get rid of moire. Even in spite of discontent videographers. Through which all "channels" users should refer to the Canon? Hard to believe that they meticulously study all forums.

1%

I think they might release an update but I doubt they will tackle the moire. I don't know what market they're really aiming for here with a $2k camera with all of these consumerish features. That could have been better channelled into making it a real competitor in the broke ass pro segment actually buying it.

I don't think there is any way to convince them. They do look but don't seem to "get it". If they're aiming at photographers why leave out things like af patterns. Every camera has newer hardware features I don't know why they're so bent on software being limited. Every version should be a real reason to upgrade. UHS/FF/Faster proc.. that wasn't enough? We have to have headphone jack taken out and artificial limits?