Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teo770

ML: Flickering ML menus

I can confirm the 8 seconds ML menus flickering occurs only when LV is on. Either in photo or video.
- When you start the camera and directly enter ML menus with DEL button, no flickering at all.
- Even later, after a few shots, flickering occurs only in LV photo/video modes.
- when in LV, you scroll in ML menus, it doesn't flicker every 8 seconds

You stop scrolling, 8s flickering restart.

A timer issue somewhere ?
My gear: CANON 6D / 40mm f2.8 STM / 20mm f2.8 / 24-105 f4 IS / Flash 90EX / Grip BG-E13

1%

QuoteYou stop scrolling, 8s flickering restart.

A1ex's fix is just restarting the canon dialog so you have scroll wheels.

QuoteML: SDCard format issue.

I haven't even tried formatting from within camera. Worth checking out. I don't think I've ever used this on any camera.

QuoteAgain speaking about intervalometer / time lapse: How do you see the chances to implement a feature that allows capturing a time lapse sequence series without flipping the mirror for each picture?

Use silent pics. The regular ones work. The high res I just got lined up last night. Have to fix the menus up.

QuoteBeep, test tones: everything is ok except red light keep on a whil

Asif needs to be properly stopped. For beeps I just applied a patch, for recording its not possible. A good solution has to be found.

teo770

Just to be clear, i'm not complaining about issues or ways ML does something or somethingelse,
just testing and reporting weird stuff or bugs. Is this OK ?

I'm just so glad ML already work an Canon 6D !!

My gear: CANON 6D / 40mm f2.8 STM / 20mm f2.8 / 24-105 f4 IS / Flash 90EX / Grip BG-E13

1%

Its good to find the bugs. I probably would have never thought to format my card in camera.

jgruen

Quote from: 1% on February 19, 2013, 03:33:04 PM
Use silent pics. The regular ones work. The high res I just got lined up last night. Have to fix the menus up.

Ah, nice feature, I should have tried this ^^ Anyway, is there a possibility to disable LV monitor but just keep the shutter open? The current mode reduces the shutter count indeed, but eats up the battery about 5 times faster than otherwise (according to Canon). And as the camera is usually left as is during a time lapse sequence, there is no necessity of the LV at all. Again, I'm just asking, besides that I'm perfectly happy with ML on the 6D (besides the bulb-exposure issue i mentioned earlier) :) However I think this feature could be useful for TL photographers that want to save shutter counts.

Regards!

EDIT: I looked up some DSLR life expectancies regarding the shutter count [1] and came to the conclusion that saving shutter counts is maybe not that essential as I thought :)

[1] http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/

teo770

One suggestion

In menu Expo / White balance, at the beginning, it's on AUTO,
then you can scroll from 1500K to 15000K but you can't reset it to AUTO.

Would it be possible after 15000K and before 1500K to have the AUTO choice ?
Like in ISO choice.

a1ex

ML does not remove Canon menus ;)

dlang

Quote from: teo770 on February 19, 2013, 02:22:40 PM
ML: SDCard format issue

Last time i tried with a 5D Mark II, when formating the SDCard, a ML process was backuping ML from the card and restoring it just after.

On the 6D, 2 messages and a kind of beep:
Restart your camera
Shoot_malloc err

You can format the card but ML is gone
This sounds right to me, ML is quite few files  on the card, formatting the card would eliminate all files from the card, and since the camera doesn't have a place to stash the files during the format, the newly formatted card won't have the ML files on it any longer.

dlang

Quote from: jgruen on February 19, 2013, 05:20:04 PM
I looked up some DSLR life expectancies regarding the shutter count [1] and came to the conclusion that saving shutter counts is maybe not that essential as I thought :)

[1] http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/

well, if a single time-lapse sequence uses 1K shutter activations, then a 5D is only good for about 100-300 such sequences, that seems like a rather short lifetime, so if there is a way to avoid exercising the parts, it seems like a good thing.

Francis

Unless you use an older CCD sensor DSLR, you are stuck with a physical shutter. Shutters are replaceable by Canon services. From what I have read, it is not very expensive.

dlang

how do they do video recording? I'm sure they don't do 30 shutter clicks/sec, that would hit the 100K shutter activations in only 55 minutes of video

DTSET123

Shutter opens, camera records movie, shutter closes.

dlang

Quote from: DTSET123 on February 20, 2013, 11:55:59 AM
Shutter opens, camera records movie, shutter closes.
so we should (in theory) be able to do the same thing for time-lapse sequences, right?

screamer

@dlang: i think what you need is fps override, with a low framerate (like 2fps or less).
always trying to use the 100% of magic lantern..
Gear:
Canon 60D, all the samyang lenses, Canon 50 mm 1.4, Canon 60mm macro, Canon 70-300 usm, Sigma 4.5mm fisheye, Sigma 17-70 2.8, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake, all the Lensbabies and a lot of other pieces, Flash metz 58 af2

jgruen

Quote from: screamer on February 21, 2013, 12:42:09 AM
@dlang: i think what you need is fps override, with a low framerate (like 2fps or less).
Indeed, that's my point :-) frame rate would be very low though. As far as I know, fps override is already working on the 6D, so basically everything should be there already. Merging it with bulb ramping and disabling resources that go into the unnecessary LV could be a considerable task though. However the result would be a unique shutter-relaxing time lapse mode none of regular intervalometers/brampers can ever realize. Lets see what 1% thinks about. He seems quite busy :-)

1%

You can use FPS override and shut the screen off... the powersave works. Set a shortcut key and and hit it. Can also do silent pics and intervalometer but not sure what will do 2fps better, will have to check. Also mind that low fps movie speed + underexposure gives vertical lines of noise when you zoom in on it, our unique defect because of the missing timerB control.

I've always used FPS or silent pic and never hit the shutter, that's too many actuations for me. Used auto iso or exposure to compensate instead of bulb ramping. Results were pretty good but clickety click gives you 5k resolution. Maybe the middle ground is high-res silent pics when those get 100% fixed. Yea, work has kinda interrupted what I was working on :(

Warren

Did some testing tonight and was able to repeatedly hard lock the camera.

Did a remote shoot test using the 6D remote app.
Hit the Zoom button on the camera.
Hard lock.
Also, I *think* zooming using the app was causing the same issue.

Additional detail, I was using the ML extended bracketing functionality.

It seems to be extra twitchy if using WiFi. I got another lockup while taking a long sequence of HDR shots while trying to pull files via ShutterSnitch.

Edit:
Oh. I do have magic zoom enabled as well, as well as focus highlighting in live view.

1%

My wifi just hard locks after a few mins, dunno if its my phone or the camera. ML shouldn't alter that functionality but it still has to be explored further to see.

DTSET123

1%

A1ex's fix maybe solved the card format problem? I ported the afma stuff. Still trying to fix the big silent pics.

Maybe should figure out the af patterns.

rktaylor

Quote from: 1% on February 23, 2013, 07:33:39 AM
A1ex's fix maybe solved the card format problem? I ported the afma stuff. Still trying to fix the big silent pics.

I have a basis question ... I've been downloading the autoexec.bin file from you compile it.  What do I download to benefit from A1ex's fix (maybe) for the format problem?

Thanks
6D | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 | EF 50 f/1.4 | EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L

1%

Lens info is fixed, don't have rotation and all that jazz but its wrong for 600D too, first value doesn't move. Focus distance and lenght work so the zoom ring does its thing for zoom.

I investigated af patterns and I don't think they can work this way. When I xor  top/middle/bottom and put that in for the af point it acts like you set it to auto. I think the only way we will have patterns is from 5d3 properties. Don't know  how that works yet or the values.

Marsu42

Quote from: 1% on February 24, 2013, 06:07:29 AM
I investigated af patterns and I don't think they can work this way. When I xor top/middle/bottom and put that in for the af point it acts like you set it to auto. I think the only way we will have patterns is from 5d3 properties. Don't know  how that works yet or the values.

Doh, maybe (conspiracy theory) Canon disabled the current ml approach for a reason? The af patterns at least would change the 6d af system from the intended 100% idiotic to only 90% outdated, I often use the patterns on my 60d so I hope you'll find a solution for the 6d :-o

1%

There might be code for patterns somewhere just its not easy to find as the UI parts are gone. Same as the afma problem for 60D/600D. Trying 5d3 props may work like it worked for 50D AFMA. I use them a lot too, those end points like to catch and screw up what you're really focusing on.

Posted a new build so you can enjoy focus ring zoom and afma while I work out the silent pic stuff. Feels like I'm trying to fit a square peg in a round hole

coutts

Quote from: 1% on February 24, 2013, 07:04:30 PM
There might be code for patterns somewhere just its not easy to find as the UI parts are gone. Same as the afma problem for 60D/600D. Trying 5d3 props may work like it worked for 50D AFMA. I use them a lot too, those end points like to catch and screw up what you're really focusing on.

Posted a new build so you can enjoy focus ring zoom and afma while I work out the silent pic stuff. Feels like I'm trying to fit a square peg in a round hole

I used the 5d2 cfn.c code with the 5d3 property number, it kind of works. I calibrated 3 of my lenses last night, but when I tried to do my fourth one but now it won't actually confirm focus at all (don't beep), and reports 0. The menu setting for microadjust just reports "(err)".