Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

The only caveat is that you can get a 600D and have mostly everything besides low light performance. 600d $500, 6d $2k... that extra 1500 into lenses/rigs/etc isn't going to do canon any favors.

gravitatemediagroup

I really can't understand why you keep comparing a t2i to a 6d.  maybe the ML build for the t2i makes it better than 6d?

1%

t3i... I have both of these cameras to compare. Hacked video on both.

gravitatemediagroup

have you used a t4i
I had one for about 48 before I sent it back.  I about threw up.

and have you ever used a gh2? because I've not seen any canon dslr come close.
I thought the 6d would be able to compete, but it's not even close

DTSET123

Quoteow light is the ONLY thing the 6d has over the bmcc as far as video.  but a majority of the things the bmcc will be shooting
is properly lit settings for shorts/commercials and so on
Nobody is arguing that! People pick cameras based on a job. You like BMCC - that's great, as it is indeed a good option but let's stay focused here please. I am following this thread for ML development not camera debates- I already heard all that bla-bla-bla...
If you think back to only 5-6 years ago what you could shoot on for 2000$, it was extemely difficult to get results like this
Amen to that brother!

sparedog

Quote from: gravitatemediagroup on February 14, 2013, 10:25:56 PM
The lenses I use for the bmcc are lenses I already own, or was going to buy anyways.
I didn't HAVE to pay over retail, I was just sick of waiting around.
Even at $5000 it's worth every penny, the image it produces is amazing.  It may have it's issues here and there, but
this is their first run, and I would say firmware updates will address 90% of the issues in the near future.  The cost of SSD's
are dropping everyday, I would rather pay for SSDs over P2, RED mags.  And don't get forget, an extreme pro SD isn't that cheap either.
The cost of 4 extreme pro SD's to equal the size of an SSD would come out to the same cost.
A 6d would ALSO require a rig or stabilizer to produce quality handheld.
If you already have lenses, the cost to quality ratio trumps the 6d by a million...IF your main focus is video.
low light is the ONLY thing the 6d has over the bmcc as far as video.  but a majority of the things the bmcc will be shooting
is properly lit settings for shorts/commercials and so on.

has anybody on here ever used a GH2 or is it just live by Canon die by Canon around here?

I agree with what you say, but we have to get back to topic. This is a forum for hacking the 6d. And we have been distracted (although interestingly) and I am as much to blame as anyone BUT

Please keep the comments ML 6d hack related.

gravitatemediagroup

the real question is HAS the 6d been officially hacked?
or do I have to worry about it crashing every 10 seconds?

sparedog

1% - Do you think quick af will always interfere with ML? It is useable, but a little bit of a pain

sparedog

1% - I had this error today

I think with autoexec.bin.event0 build

DTSET123

Quotethe real question is HAS the 6d been officially hacked?
or do I have to worry about it crashing every 10 seconds?
You mean the ini files? cause my 6D does not crash...

1%

hehe,

Quotehave you used a t4i

No crop mode :( Maybe squeeze a few more frames out because off UHS. touch screen is meh. I had hoped t4i would be an improvement on 600d.

GH2 is nice for video I guess but stills are a diff matter plus there are other drawbacks.

QuoteIf you think back to only 5-6 years ago what you could shoot on for 2000$, it was extemely difficult to get results like this

Thats spot on. All of these cameras aren't terrible and more than enough resolution to be projected pretty big or go online. Something to be said too about just how much disk space you will be using with that raw workflow on any decent length project. everything has drawbacks you have to live with

1%

... looks like something happened to the fonts? how do I reproduce it?

af will interfere, it drops the mirror

QuoteHAS the 6d been officially hacked

no, we all been faking it

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: 1% on February 15, 2013, 12:40:37 AM
... looks like something happened to the fonts? how do I reproduce it?

af will interfere, it drops the mirror

no, we all been faking it

doing a fine job

99% of the people using the gh2 are using is for video.  and what other drawbacks are you speaking on?

and you said "for video I guess" ? it goes toe to toe with a RED as far as detail and "you guess?"

DTSET123

Quotet goes toe to toe with a RED as far as detail and "you guess?"
lol...

1%

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: 1% on February 15, 2013, 01:37:51 AM
Iso performance for one.

gonna need more than one.  neat video does a pretty good job
not to mention not too many people are out shooting vampire documentaries

the fact that the gh2 was included in "the great shootout" says a lot as well

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2012/07/24/panasonic-gh2-video-better-than-red-arri-says-coppola
watch the 2nd video from where they say, and then after listen to what people wilth more credit than anyone here
has to says about the gh2

1%

smaller sensor, way worse low light... lack of electronic lens mounts, sure you can adapt "anything" but have fun with manual or non existent aperture control

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: 1% on February 15, 2013, 01:45:02 AM
smaller sensor, way worse low light... lack of electronic lens mounts, sure you can adapt "anything" but have fun with manual or non existent aperture control

that "smaller sensor" argument is pointless and overrated...."smaller sensor & worse low light" fall in the same category
http://admiringlight.com/blog/full-frame-equivalence-and-why-it-doesnt-matter/

and what do you mean manual or non existent aperture control? lol

1%

Quotethat "smaller sensor" argument is pointless and overrated

Its a drawback you have to work around, as much as canon resize problems and lack of 4:2:2.

unless you use gh2 native lenses you won't have any electronic aperture control (or AF, same principle).

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: 1% on February 15, 2013, 01:59:39 AM
Its a drawback you have to work around, as much as canon resize problems and lack of 4:2:2.

unless you use gh2 native lenses you won't have any electronic aperture control (or AF, same principle).

most lenses I own have de clicked aperture, and the ones that don't I use a variND and it works perfect

DTSET123

GH 2 is still h.264 8 bit  good luck color grading that shit. Why is it that I don't see motion films shot on it? I know a lot that was shot with RED- maybe there is a reason? In the shoot out that you are talking about there was 5D and 7D too- so? It is just another tool. You can shoot with iPhone for that matter, if you have a good content.

gravitatemediagroup

no, the shootout i'm talking about didn't have a 5d
go to the link I posted above, they used the 7d
and if you listen close to the comments it was "gh2 really surprised me" and "typical canon moire"

the gh2 grades just as fine as any canon dslr

shot on gh2, premiered at sundance
http://vimeo.com/user726396/headlikethesun
http://vimeo.com/53483898

to say the gh2 can't be color graded...this was done by a person that has NEVER made an attempt at grading with 3 way color
AMAZING
http://vimeo.com/59502661#at=0

it is alright to leave the canon bubble for a little bit and experience and learn about some other cameras from time to time guys
these comments are what makes me think canon truly has their customers brainwashed to buy their underachieving overpriced cameras

1%

QuoteWhy is it that I don't see motion films shot on it?

When money matters you rent a camera that you don't have to mess around with.

I never said GH2 sucks, just has drawbacks like canon in different areas. Neither camera is a hassle free solution.

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: 1% on February 15, 2013, 02:30:46 AM
When money matters you rent a camera that you don't have to mess around with.

I never said GH2 sucks, just has drawbacks like canon in different areas. Neither camera is a hassle free solution.

is there a camera that's hassle free? lol