Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

You could. Would be nice as png or jpeg too. I can just save frames out of h264,  not the case for bmcc video?

gravitatemediagroup

why would you want a tiff or a jpeg when the clips coming right out of the bmcc are DNG?

a 1 minute RAW clip is roughly 6-7GB and 300-500 dng files

sparedog

Quote from: gravitatemediagroup on February 13, 2013, 04:19:06 PM
do you want me to upload one of the dng files? because that is a frame
yes please a couple of dngs would be great - different subjects

gravitatemediagroup

don't expect to be able to blow them up and zoom in on them like it was shot as a still image with 40MP

you will notice some are over exposed on purpose, grade and play with them however you wish....it's raw for a reason lol

http://www.sendspace.com/file/gfxj3o

sparedog

Quote from: gravitatemediagroup on February 13, 2013, 07:52:01 PM
don't expect to be able to blow them up and zoom in on them like it was shot as a still image with 40MP

you will notice some are over exposed on purpose, grade and play with them however you wish....it's raw for a reason lol

http://www.sendspace.com/file/gfxj3o

Ok, that is officially very cool!! =D Would be interesting if you do a blog on it as you find pros and cons.

But the rest of us, we can´t give up on the 6D, I think it still has a lot of potential!

gravitatemediagroup

compare the price of the 6d to the BMCC and there is no competition.
have you not followed any of the BMCC stuff?
all of the pros and cons are already known, last thing I have time to do it run a blog to state an opinion that people really shouldn't care about

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagiccinemacamera/techspecs
while you look at this think to yourself 6d=an 8bit turd

canon really messed up big time with the 6d.  canon is the only company than can release a newer camera, the performs worse than
a camera that's a year older.  I sold off all my Nikon gear to switch over to Canon for photography reasons.  And from what I always hear, the Canon does a great job with video so I was looking at it as a 2 for 1 deal.  For DSLR video from here on out, the GH2 gets the pick.  If the 6d is ever capable of hdmi clean, then I might really consider some things.

ManixLiquid

The only cons I heard about BMC is moire issues.
BlackMagic Camera & Canon EOS 6D w/ Zeiss Distagon 35mm & 50mm, Sigma 10mm-20mm.

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: ManixLiquid on February 13, 2013, 11:55:46 PM
The only cons I heard about BMC is moire issues.

there are others, and moire isn't really an issue. it IS present, but i've seen broadcast cameras present moire.  and if you want to talk about 6d moire vc bmcc moire lol

1%

QuoteBut the rest of us, we can´t give up on the 6D, I think it still has a lot of potential!

the video isn't much worse than other canon cameras I've tried. Moire from 5d2 would be interesting to compare. Its definitely worse than 600d crop or not. the bigger sensor is probably to blame. same resize, more lines skipped.

But I know, you paid $2k+ for this camera and at that price I'd be disappointed vs BMCC

gravitatemediagroup

from the compare videos of 5d2 vs 6d moire, 5d2 was worse.  but I guess it all depends on how scientific you are doing it.

the 6d was a "i hope I can get good video from it" but as a stills camera I can't really complain.  and I thought ML for the 6D would break it wide open, but I have yet to have the 6d blow me away.  and even if I do shoot anything I can live with, it's on a tripod or glidecam.  ive yet to shoot anything handheld with the 6d that I could actually use.  with the gh2 being a lighter and way less of a camera body to grip, I can shoot handheld and live with it

DTSET123

Quotefrom the compare videos of 5d2 vs 6d moire, 5d2 was worse
Strongly disagree! I shot with mark ii for 4 years and even though it had moire - it was NOT as bad as on 6d. On the contrary, I feel like photos are better then mark ii.

gravitatemediagroup

DTSET123

Quoteso why did you buy a 6d?
ISO... and only that

1%

nobody was expecting the moire

fotojohni

Couple of things:

Movie Differences

1: The moire is not as bad as the 5d mk2, they are the same at worst.

2: 720p 60 fps is HUGE with the ultra high ISO capabilities means twixter footage in way different situations then ever before.

3: the screen is WAY better the 5d mk2, which hurt my eyes

Photo differences

1: ACR 7.4 hasn't come out yet, so we won't be able to see the raw files yet.

2: extra fps is nice

3: auto focus is way better, center point is the best of any camera I've ever used (probably 1dx is better, but no one I know has one)

I have, out of about 200 clips, only one clip where the moire is truly bad, it's mostly because of multi color, it's as if the rgb pixel arrangement is vertical, as a result horizontal lines get destroyed, I'm experimenting with a method of removing this in premiere  Basically, I want to vertically blur the color channels, while sharpening the black and white. In camera: Try turning the noise removal off and setting sharpness to 0.  I've noticed this helps.

DTSET123

QuoteACR 7.4 hasn't come out yet, so we won't be able to see the raw files yet

What are you talking about? I have shot in RAW and delivered to clients already.

QuoteI have, out of about 200 clips
200 clips of what? Did you shoot to test moire or you just shot whatever?
Do you have a m2 right now? Shoot a brick wall or something that has lines (wide angle) and compare the two.
Anyway, we all know the specs- can we move on with testing?

1% what was updated in latest menu bin?

sparedog

Quote from: gravitatemediagroup on February 14, 2013, 05:12:28 AM
bmcc 3 clip quick test
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnKxDvXUf6Y&feature=youtu.be

Love the look of the flag in the snow, really low contrast

But the opening shot has really weird movement / it is like the video has been reconformed. What frame rate did you shoot and what frame rate did you set Resolve to?
I think something has gone wrong somewhere (maybe just youtube but I dont normally see this kind of framerate stuttering on youtube)

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: 1% on February 14, 2013, 06:24:16 AM
nobody was expecting the moire

so when people realized it was a major issue, why didn't they return? lol

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: sparedog on February 14, 2013, 06:31:00 PM
Love the look of the flag in the snow, really low contrast

But the opening shot has really weird movement / it is like the video has been reconformed. What frame rate did you shoot and what frame rate did you set Resolve to?
I think something has gone wrong somewhere (maybe just youtube but I dont normally see this kind of framerate stuttering on youtube)

it was all 23.97
the weird movement was because I was too close panning too fast lol   lesson learned.  that's the speed I'm used to panning with lesser quality cameras.  lol
also being that I didn't want to spend 5 hours uploading 3 clips I exported to wmv highest quality possible, but even it at top quality doesn't compete.  where I live the internet is TERRIBLE

1%

Quoteso when people realized it was a major issue, why didn't they return? lol

I bet people did. But the whole point of this is to have a dual use cinema/still camera. the concept is win, what canon is doing is not.

DTSET123

Quoteso when people realized it was a major issue, why didn't they return
Good question:
In my case, I am a wedding cinematographer, and a photographer. I shoot both, photos and video, and a lot of those shoots are in candle light so I need to maximize ISO. BMCC is a great "cinema" camera but it is not for events mainly because of the file size. Also, it is not ergonomic for running and gunning. If you loaded and get the rig and all that, well, then it is not that affordable is it? :)
I wish we had DNG goodness but hey, - life is a bitch :)
Here is the wedding that I shot over the weekend with 6D: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBtEPLGB2bY
Keep in mind, weddings are crazy and stressful and you almost never have time to do everything right so don't judge - running and gunning baby :)

gravitatemediagroup

I wouldn't use a BMCC for a wedding, although it can be done.

sparedog

Quote from: DTSET123 on February 14, 2013, 08:42:14 PM
Here is the wedding that I shot over the weekend with 6D: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBtEPLGB2bY

For me, this is where DSLRS come into their own, the footage looks great.

If you think back to only 5-6 years ago what you could shoot on for 2000$, it was extemely difficult to get results like this, and then you had to use things like a letus adaptor etc - nightmare

The bmcc is a great product, but as you say, you bought it for more than retail. Add in the price of ssd cards, external battery - due to the 90 minute internal, also add a rig to use it off sticks, and a new lens to get wider than what your EF lens will provide because of the crop, and it probably is in the region of 4000$-$5000 or more?

The 6d, whilst not perfect by any means, cost me the price of the body, everything else I had left over from previous cameras. And that, for me, is it´s strength

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: sparedog on February 14, 2013, 09:34:18 PM
For me, this is where DSLRS come into their own, the footage looks great.

If you think back to only 5-6 years ago what you could shoot on for 2000$, it was extemely difficult to get results like this, and then you had to use things like a letus adaptor etc - nightmare

The bmcc is a great product, but as you say, you bought it for more than retail. Add in the price of ssd cards, external battery - due to the 90 minute internal, also add a rig to use it off sticks, and a new lens to get wider than what your EF lens will provide because of the crop, and it probably is in the region of 4000$-$5000 or more?

The 6d, whilst not perfect by any means, cost me the price of the body, everything else I had left over from previous cameras. And that, for me, is it´s strength

The lenses I use for the bmcc are lenses I already own, or was going to buy anyways.
I didn't HAVE to pay over retail, I was just sick of waiting around.
Even at $5000 it's worth every penny, the image it produces is amazing.  It may have it's issues here and there, but
this is their first run, and I would say firmware updates will address 90% of the issues in the near future.  The cost of SSD's
are dropping everyday, I would rather pay for SSDs over P2, RED mags.  And don't get forget, an extreme pro SD isn't that cheap either.
The cost of 4 extreme pro SD's to equal the size of an SSD would come out to the same cost.
A 6d would ALSO require a rig or stabilizer to produce quality handheld.
If you already have lenses, the cost to quality ratio trumps the 6d by a million...IF your main focus is video.
low light is the ONLY thing the 6d has over the bmcc as far as video.  but a majority of the things the bmcc will be shooting
is properly lit settings for shorts/commercials and so on.

has anybody on here ever used a GH2 or is it just live by Canon die by Canon around here?