Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VuzZ

Quote from: sparedog on January 22, 2013, 11:38:56 PM
I received an email today from mosaic engineering saying that they are going to be releasing an official VAF-6D very soon for the 6D.

I have got a similar email, so i will copy it here:

QuoteHi Vladimir--

Thanks for writing!  Yes, we are certainly going to be releasing an official VAF-6D very soon; currently we are receiving a large number of inquiries in relation to this camera, and we are making it a high priority.  At this point, we've just this week obtained a 6D here ourselves, and have begun evaluating some prototype optical parts for it, as well as the VAF-5D2b itself; we should have a final informations or an optimized design confirmed soon, with production parts to follow as soon as we can manage.

We'll keep your email address here, and let you know directly as things progress!

Thanks again and best regards--

--Dave Cubanski

I am aware that this topic is not about moire, but i feel compeled to put it here, since I hope there will be a software solution for moire, and we don't need to buy a $350 part of equipment which have some trade-offs (jams the shutter, mirror and changes focus)...

Vlad

VuzZ

Quote from: a1ex on January 23, 2013, 12:03:49 AM
That's uncompressed, not raw. Should be doable at reduced vertical resolution (how much... depends on card speed).

Sorry, but what is the difference between uncompressed and raw, since I use both terms when speaking about uncompressed video?

Vlad

nanomad

More or less:

RAW = full sensor bit depth
Uncompressed = YUV422 color space but no jpeg/mp4 compression (= less artifacts in theory)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

a1ex

Google RAW vs jpeg, BMCC, RED etc. Raw can be compressed or not. Jpeg is compressed, but the same image data (8 bit in our case) can be uncompressed. Here we have uncompressed YUV 422 8-bit (the same data as in normal video, just without compression artifacts).

screamer

Hi Vlad,
The quick answare is this example: it's like for the stills images. In the images you can have a .jpg (compressed) or you can have a .bmp (uncompressed) or you can have a .cr2 (raw).
For the video is the same.
compressed, uncompressed and raw, where raw is not only the video uncompressed, but a lot of other datas directly from the sensor. I mean, for shure more bit depth, and a lot of other information. Actually (if i remember well) in the canon lineup only the c500 can shoot raw: http://cinemaeos.usa.canon.com/products.php?type=Camera-c500
always trying to use the 100% of magic lantern..
Gear:
Canon 60D, all the samyang lenses, Canon 50 mm 1.4, Canon 60mm macro, Canon 70-300 usm, Sigma 4.5mm fisheye, Sigma 17-70 2.8, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake, all the Lensbabies and a lot of other pieces, Flash metz 58 af2

VuzZ

Quote from: nanomad on January 23, 2013, 12:13:37 AM
More or less:

RAW = full sensor bit depth
Uncompressed = YUV422 color space but no jpeg/mp4 compression (= less artifacts in theory)

This is the holy grail for every cinematographer out there, we are able to record 444 only with ARRIRAW recorder attached to ALEXA, but 422 uncompressed is what every cinematographer/editor/digital imaging technician would piss in their pants if its achieved in DSLR camera.

Somehow I think if Magic Lantern succeeds in this, all the cameras would be much cheaper and Canon and all the manufacturers would have to improve on other stuff, it would surely be an industry-changing event.

Until now, it was possible to film directly from the hdmi output, not sure why you can't make a hack to display 1920x1080 but I hope it will get there soon...

Can somebody tell me what is the maximum speed achievable in the SDXC slot? Is it this that is limiting the quality and bitrate and can you embed an option in the firmware so it recognizes what type of the card is in the slot so the bitrate can be better with faster cards?

nanomad

Don't get too excited... The key word is reduced vertical resolution ::)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

VuzZ

So what is theoretically the best bitrate/lowest compression you can achieve if you have the fastest available card and you shot on 6D or 5Dmk3 (i guess they are same regarding this question)?

What is needed to get there?

1%

yea, uncompressed YUV, not raw RAW. my bad :)

best compression would be all-I or IPB at QP of 1 and whatever rate the scene produces. i have a bin up already if you want to start using it and pointing out the bugs.

VuzZ

Quote from: 1% on January 23, 2013, 04:43:55 AM
yea, uncompressed YUV, not raw RAW. my bad :)

best compression would be all-I or IPB at QP of 1 and whatever rate the scene produces. i have a bin up already if you want to start using it and pointing out the bugs.

Yes, it would be great. I am working on a movie right now and using the camera, so this is a good opportunity to check it in real world... if i don't brick it in the meantime :)

DTSET123

1% where is the bin? I would like to play with it.

ManixLiquid

Yeah, is there a beta version we can use now on the camera now? :)

Also, I did try the VAF-5D2b filter on the 6D. The moire is gone but you have to tone down sharpness and contrast, otherwise, the filter is useless. For close-up, is great, but for wide shots not so much. The background appears too soft, not enough details captured by the camera. No moire thought. Maybe it can be fixed with ML higher birate?

Anyway, point is, I think Mosaic will fix the moire problem with a new filter. The only issue for meis the smoothness of video.
BlackMagic Camera & Canon EOS 6D w/ Zeiss Distagon 35mm & 50mm, Sigma 10mm-20mm.

1%

its up in my repo with the other 6D stuff.

Quoteif i don't brick it in the meantime

haven't had that problem with normal use. if experimenting with properties you should remember what you set so you can set it back if you soft brick.

here are some samples:

rate control config
https://mega.co.nz/#!hhgXxLbA!MB-_egDLa_AVjSTyV7nFxnF1aPd1rZqpRJ9ej2Dnydg

vs stock ipb on same scene

https://mega.co.nz/#!A4wFjL5Q!fcfZ2lGdUlQiU_swlipc6XZgKOMjNiYkYhISMP0zHDY

ManixLiquid

Quote from: 1% on January 23, 2013, 04:15:47 PM
its up in my repo with the other 6D

Well since I'm new here, i dont what or where your repo is? In your profile?
BlackMagic Camera & Canon EOS 6D w/ Zeiss Distagon 35mm & 50mm, Sigma 10mm-20mm.

a1ex

These should fix the cache hacked boot and fix memory issues... in theory:

HIJACK_CACHE_HACK_BSS_END_ADDR ff0c3470
HIJACK_CACHE_HACK_BSS_END_INSTR CBC000
RESTARTSTART CBC100

ff0c318c: e59f12dc ldr r1, [pc, #732] ; 0xff0c3470: pointer to 0xd3c000
ff0c3190: e241088f sub r0, r1, #9371648 ; 0x8f0000
ff0c3194: eb3d1b3f bl =0x9E98 (mem_pool_init)

coutts

didn't fix cache hack boot yet but the allocate memory pool thing worked! we now have 400kb+ free (instead of <50k). great news! no more worrying about running out of space

1%

i will have to retry cache hack boot. that gui cache hack made it boot to a black screen when i first did it

ok, tried it. ml boots up but erase menu is not working. I can see mL graphics on screen though so it did start. non cache hack method is working and I see lots of memory :)

DTSET123

QuoteAlso, I did try the VAF-5D2b filter on the 6D. The moire is gone but you have to tone down sharpness and contrast, otherwise, the filter is useless. For close-up, is great, but for wide shots not so much. The background appears too soft, not enough details captured by the camera. No moire thought. Maybe it can be fixed with ML higher birate?

Thank you! So you recommend to wait for a new filter? Do you by any chance have a sample video up using this filter?

ManixLiquid

Quote from: DTSET123 on January 24, 2013, 02:10:09 AM
Thank you! So you recommend to wait for a new filter? Do you by any chance have a sample video up using this filter?

You should wait for the new filter if you're not in a hurry. While the VAF-5D2b is usable on the 6D, I believe Mosaic will make a proper/better filter especially for the 6D.

I don't really have good footage to show. I only did quick tests : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPrHhsaKZEs, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVYGT7S9FkM.

I'll try to post more when I'll get ML.

gravitatemediagroup

I agree, I don't see a filter designed for another camera doing the 6d any justice.
Also, the 6d is naturally produces a somewhat soft image, so from here a slight bit of unsharp mask will always be applied to my 6d footage.

Also, I don't want to sound like I'm rushing, because greatness should never be rushed, but is their a rough estimate for win ML will be ready for the 6d? a week? a month?
I have avoided using the camera full throttle because I don't want to shoot a bunch of quality footage, and then turn around and wonder "what would this look like with ML on it?" and re shoot everything all over.  also, sorry if I overlooked a status update in a previous post.

1%

you can use it already but its not super stable yet and some features don't work and it can crash so you might have to restart or pull the battery. judge for yourself

https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads

pontus

I've been trying to find out on my own, but what does qp mean? It would be great if there was a terminology page available for teh n00bs :)

sparedog

Quote from: 1% on January 25, 2013, 07:47:37 AM
you can use it already but its not super stable yet and some features don't work and it can crash so you might have to restart or pull the battery. judge for yourself

https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads

I do not wish to waste your time, but is there a page or somewhere with instructions how to install this? Is it just a case of putting all the files on the root of the sd, and then following the normal ML installing guide?

I am very interested in helping find bugs by testing, but maybe downloading it at this stage, having no previous experience with ML, would be a hinderance to your development, and best for me to wait till there is an alpha release to test?

DTSET123

Which firmware is required? I have a feeling that I should not have  installed 1.1.2  - ML did not work.

1%

the bin is the executable. put ml 2.3 ml folder on the card and make it bootable. besides that not much to it.

this is using the latest firmware, you can set the boot flag with the fir in this thread.