Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coutts

I fixed vsync for magic zoom, focus peaking, and zebras. Things are running smooth now, MZ only flickers for a second after starting recording then it's fine. It flickers in 60fps mode but Alex says all cameras have some flicker with high framerates, so it's fine.

1%

good to see that stuff make the repo.

1%

iso selection should be fixed as of latest commit

*isn't this broken on 5D3/M/650D too? The commit is camera independent or at least tries to be.

DTSET123

You guys ROCK!!!  Geniuses ...

nanomad

Quote from: 1% on January 19, 2013, 02:40:51 AM
iso selection should be fixed as of latest commit

*isn't this broken on 5D3/M/650D too? The commit is camera independent or at least tries to be.
Which commit?
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

1%

Extended HDR bracketing is working now.

*For new peaking, found that it draws to the LV if 'can redirect buffers easily' is turned off. unfortunately it draws only 1/4 of the screen and flickers. will have to investigate it more.

DTSET123

@ 1% and Coutts,
Does this camera worth your time? I was shocked by what I saw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eJK-opJVDA  moire is so bad that it is impossible to use it professionally. Can anything be done about it?
Thanks!

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: DTSET123 on January 22, 2013, 05:53:18 AM
@ 1% and Coutts,
Does this camera worth your time? I was shocked by what I saw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eJK-opJVDA  moire is so bad that it is impossible to use it professionally. Can anything be done about it?
Thanks!

all it would take is mosaic engineering to develop a filter
and i've seen other videos that showed the 5D MKii having worse moire than the 6d

DTSET123

I had 3 mark ii for almost 4 years, trust me - it was not worse... 6d is a disaster!

gravitatemediagroup

if you don't like the 6d, then don't buy it, nobody is making you
get a MK 3

DTSET123

G..., thank you for the suggestion! Already have it thou...

VuzZ

Quote from: gravitatemediagroup on January 22, 2013, 06:43:50 AM
and i've seen other videos that showed the 5D MKii having worse moire than the 6d

Hello people, I have just registered to jump into the conversation.
I have just bought the 6D and since I have replaced the 5D mkII with the 6D for shooting as a second camera for an american feature film.

A couple of facts:

1. 6D does have a moire problem, but like on every professional job, you must handle moire by being smart about costumes and sets. It does not appear on my footage.

We have tested the raw material in BlackMagic DaVinci Resolve and compared it with footage from 5D mk2, 60D, ARRI Alexa and it is much better for grading than all the material that we got from HDSLR cameras, when you shot ALL-I frames. It makes much bigger files, the SDXC cards are really fast (90MB/s) so the whole workflow just got better and faster with better results. You can do wonders in grading now.

IT IS USABLE PROFESSIONALY and we mix the footage with ARRI ALEXA footage and in the end result you really can't see the difference. Don't forget, that not all is depending on the camera, but also the lens, the lights, sets and locations, costumes, movement, smart settings so you make the footage really look alike ARRI Alexa footage. I am not an advocate for 6D, I also use mk2, but since 6D i find it much more usable because of the price, weight, framerate, ALL-I, etc...

The low light conditions and low noise are much better than the mk2 and even 5d mk3, i guarantee. This is more important because when shooting video, you don't really want to play with the shutter (you shoot in the range 50-200), and I use the aperture creatively so I can choose DOF, then I am left with ISO range and it becomes so important believe me!

I think the moire problem will be resolved by software and i hope Magic Lantern can help with this. Also, I see that moire is less of a problem when you shot with flat profiles, cinestyle etc, it becomes visible when you shoot with strong contrast, but all you have to do is move, change your position or lens, a little bit and its gone.

AF system - video does not need it! whoever shots video does it manualy, and focusing is also a creative tool, so i really can't see who needs so many AF points, since i use AF occasionaly with one AF point, the center and use it for preview, not actual filming/focusing.

I really would like to see a magic lantern alpha release and i hope you focus on:

1. Clean HDMI output - this is terrific and you can choose a recorder like Atomos Ninja-2, I would like to see it without resizing and cropping later, if its possible 1920x1080...
2. Focusing tools
3. Frame rates and formats - maximizing bitrate and raw data
4. Changing aperture smoothly, not by steps, but i feel somehow 6D already does it pretty good just outside the box.
5. would it be ever possible to watch the lcd on camera and hdmi output simultaneously?
6. Look into the wi-fi and see if its possible to send the monitoring video while recording and in preview? it does not matter what resolution is sent wirelessly, but wireless monitoring would help all of us alot.

I will stay tuned and see the progress

Thanks alll of you guys for this work, I hope I can help...

Vladimir

1%

Quote1. Clean HDMI output - this is terrific and you can choose a recorder like Atomos Ninja-2, I would like to see it without resizing and cropping later, if its possible 1920x1080...

maybe when the update comes out. right now its got the same HDMI as digic iv cameras.

Quote2. Focusing tools
Everything works except the lens info so no focus ring zooming.

Quote3. Frame rates and formats - maximizing bitrate and raw data

all done, I get all I rates in IPB, can record at fixed QP (makes high rates like digic IV)
i have some IPB vs samples but everywhere i go upload either has file size limits or times out.
Coutts is working on raw recording.

4. Changing aperture smoothly, not by steps, but i feel somehow 6D already does it pretty good just outside the box.
gradual exposure change works already.
5. would it be ever possible to watch the lcd on camera and hdmi output simultaneously?
i don't think you can on any canon. at least it doesn't downscale to sd when recording.

Quote6. Look into the wi-fi and see if its possible to send the monitoring video while recording and in preview? it does not matter what resolution is sent wirelessly, but wireless monitoring would help all of us alot.

Have to see why movie mode turns off wifi. probably i/o related if encoder is on separate proc.

*the low light performance isn't half bad. not sure if i get less noise or the same at high isos tho. not really sure what a *safe* iso is. in 600D it was 1250 before the noise started creeping up. here its like 128k or 6400 something.

scrax

Quote from: 1% on January 22, 2013, 03:37:43 PM
not really sure what a *safe* iso is. in 600D it was 1250 before the noise started creeping up. here its like 128k or 6400 something.
This is really interesting, need to try it soon or later...
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Chair

Just popping in to cheer you guys on! coutts, 1%, and others, i am super impressed with the ingenuity and dedication i see you guys investing in this project! Also, while perusing the ML homepage, I notice that the banner at the top already includes 6D in the list of supported canons. I thought to myself, they must be close! Looking forward to loading ML onto my 6D - any chance for a working download before the weekend? I have a shoot I'd like to test this out on...

Chair

Quote from: a1ex on January 22, 2013, 05:34:23 PM
You can run it right now if you are not afraid of the command line.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3697.msg24065#msg24065 ;)
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=991.0

Thanks Alex for the useful and challenging info, as well as the gentle reminder on manners (I'm a noob!)

Update: aah, wow, all skills I desire and admire, but I confess this is over my head for today... so i will stand-by while more knowledgeable and capable people do their work...

sparedog

Quote from: 1% on January 22, 2013, 03:37:43 PM

Wow.
Coutts, what do you think the likelihood of this working. This could be amazing!!

sparedog

Quote from: gravitatemediagroup on January 22, 2013, 06:43:50 AM

I received an email today from mosaic engineering saying that they are going to be releasing an official VAF-6D very soon for the 6D.

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: sparedog on January 22, 2013, 11:38:56 PM
I received an email today from mosaic engineering saying that they are going to be releasing an official VAF-6D very soon for the 6D.

I figured they would, and this is GREAT news

a1ex

What did you smoke?!

nanomad

I guess he looked in debug.c where there's a raw video test (that actually tries to dump frames as fast as possible)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

a1ex

That's uncompressed, not raw. Should be doable at reduced vertical resolution (how much... depends on card speed).

nanomad

Yeah, my usual mistake...altough I'm sure people would be happy enough with uncompressed video