Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

Its only like a 300 some K binary. I had like 40k when I enabled all of the features. I can't figure out how to use the second pool or do a cache hack startl. On 600D now both are completely. free for some reason after the proper cache hack.

BTW: H.264 configs are here: https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads

a1ex

On 600D, can you try with a smaller binary (disable most features) and see if the amount of free RAM changes? It should.

On 6D, you need to find where the buffer for AllocateMemory is initialized, and adjust its limits. This isn't easy. The 5Dc/40D use the same trick - they shrink the buffer with 512 K and ML is inserted into the free space created in this way.

1%

It doesn't seem to change the debug printouts on 600D but I tried loading a 500K+ binary and then I'm out of memory, err70.

On 6D the places where 600D was setting the pool are now 0 so it must do it somewhere else.

coutts

wait didn't we have like 3mb of free memory before?

1%

In the other pool. It boots in the first.

coutts

in 5dc it looks like this, we modify the 0xA00000 to be 0x980000:

not sure if it will be this easy for 6D, im digging now.

1%

1%

Here is a test sample of RC.ini with initqp overwritten and ALL-I. It basically becomes CBR wtih fixed QP. But I wasn't using the UHS card so it kept stopping on default, I'm thinking about buying another card but want to test on what most people will have (and I bring the 600D to work).

http://www.qfpost.com/file/d?g=07XWtMQer

Here is VBR @ 5.1 with IPB compression. My stream analysis tools don't like opening these. Maybe someone will have better luck.

http://www.qfpost.com/file/d?g=gLPkQ8MdJ

Here is ALL-I with the 4x4 luma matrices. The atoms are screwed up so it won't play back. Maybe someone can find out what is wrong with it and we can make the 4x4 stuff work.

http://www.qfpost.com/file/d?g=3TjJxDJYB

sparedog

I had similar result trying to play back your files, only first one plays
MVI_6990    148 mbits/sec    TREES
MVI_6981    187 mbits/sec    BLACK
MVI_6977    2.68 mbits/sec   BLACK

I have the 30MB/s sandisk Extreme cards. I would happily upgrade my cards, if need be, to faster ones should they allow a higher video bitrate to be implimented.
I think its important to try to encourage results/tests from people with faster cards. On a 2000 euro camera, the price of a decent card is quite small, and a small outlay for the potential of what full frame can be unlocked to offer.

1%

#2 should be trees too. It plays back for me. Only the last one doesn't. What player did you use. MPC-HC worked for this one. Last one is screwed up and won't play, some atoms are missing, so is SPS/PPS.  Maybe those matrix addresses are required to keep the atom writer function happy.

I can record longer clips but a few seconds is like a 100-300mb already.

sparedog

I only tried to open them in quicktime pro on windows 7. DLed the second one again, still plays only black, no picture or sound.

Don´t worry about recording longer, its only proof of concept at the moment, right?

1%

None have audio. Try VLC or Media player classic. It plays fine on linux too. Only videos with custom matrices don't play back for me. Maybe quicktime can't play back profile 5.1 IPB or something out of spec is set that it can't interpret. Yes its still in testing phase but I found something cool:

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/DM36x_Rate_Control_Modes

Encoder is similar to this. The other rate control mechanisms (3/4/5/6) didn't work but setting initqp to -1 made it pick auto. I'm going to look at this doc and test things.

ManixLiquid

Does anyone have a possible time frame on when ML firmware will be release for the 6D?

Thanks!
BlackMagic Camera & Canon EOS 6D w/ Zeiss Distagon 35mm & 50mm, Sigma 10mm-20mm.

coutts

I think 1% says we're close, mainly audio / bitrate to finish seems like.

I used it the other night when I went out, it feels very stable now, much better than when I last pushed a code commit. great work to 1%!

micihelelbers

Would be nice to have it on jan. 24th  8)
I could test it exhaustively then for a long weekend vacation..

But I understand it's all charity  ;D
I'm looking out for the first Magic Lantern version for the 6D.

Keep up the good work guys!

Malex

Quote from: 1% on January 08, 2013, 09:05:47 PM
New Bit Rate Menu.

Hi, I'm planning to get a 5DM3 or 6D.
I see on that picture of the new bit rate menu that CBR can now go up to 12 ? is it the maximum ?

With ML 2.3 that I use in my 550D, CBR goes up to 3, and most of the time just stop recording when there is too much complicated stuff going on in the screen, I understood it has do with the buffer of the camera. (my card is a sandisk extreme 30mb/s).

How do the 5DM3 or a 6D compare to that, since they can use faster SD / CF cards ? Do they have a bigger buffer ?
How much bit rate is 12 on the ML menu ?

1%

It says on the bottom help if you run it.. Its rate X10 so 12 is 120MB/S but this is just the target rate, lowering will cap it but raising it won't necessarily raise it. Really you want to use one of the configs and set up a bit rate that your card can handle. Canon rates aren't fixed and your maximum is max sustained write for the card. 6D uses UHS-1, 5d3 uses faster CF cards. When you set it higher than the card can handle recording stops. Hence you're not having much luck at 3x on your current camera (try a really low ISO it will probably record).

I'll try to speed up dumping rate and see what it does. I guess that is next up. Won't help ALL-I but gop of 3 on IPB should be interesting (or crash).

Chair

We users are cheering you on! Looking forward to trying ML - is it too much to hope that I'll be able to monitor audio through my AV ouput while using a HDMI monitor?

pontus

Quote from: 1% on January 15, 2013, 04:17:06 PM
It says on the bottom help if you run it.. Its rate X10 so 12 is 120MB/S but this is just the target rate, lowering will cap it but raising it won't necessarily raise it. Really you want to use one of the configs and set up a bit rate that your card can handle. Canon rates aren't fixed and your maximum is max sustained write for the card. 6D uses UHS-1, 5d3 uses faster CF cards. When you set it higher than the card can handle recording stops. Hence you're not having much luck at 3x on your current camera (try a really low ISO it will probably record).

I'll try to speed up dumping rate and see what it does. I guess that is next up. Won't help ALL-I but gop of 3 on IPB should be interesting (or crash).

I've been trying to find an answer, but i can't find it anywhere. At what bitrate does it record without ML with just ALL-I turned on? 

1%

Quoteaudio through my AV ouput while using a HDMI monitor?

its still a ways off. I should see what happens when i do this on 600d. Never thought of trying it even though its obvious.

QuoteAt what bitrate does it record without ML with just ALL-I turned on? 

Like 70 or 80 something is the highest I got. Not too bad but QPs are fairly high, above 10. IPB is locked to 60 without ML because of the profile.

sparedog

Quote from: pontus on January 16, 2013, 05:36:14 PM
At what bitrate does it record without ML with just ALL-I turned on? 

I get about 80 too for my top bit rates. But this is 80mbits per second.

Quote from: 1% on January 15, 2013, 04:17:06 PM
Its rate X10 so 12 is 120MB/s
Did you actually mean 120 MegaBytes/s, because that is a huge increase. Am I right in thinking there are 8 bits to a byte, so that would be 960mbits/sec. That´s impossible right?

1%

Bits. bytes would be impossible.

sparedog

Talking of the impossible, how likely is 4:2:2 with this codec from the 6d, or is that only doable with codecs like mjpeg?

1080 4:2:2 at 120mbits would be great for broadcast projects.

pontus

Quote from: 1% on January 16, 2013, 05:54:51 PM
its still a ways off. I should see what happens when i do this on 600d. Never thought of trying it even though its obvious.

Like 70 or 80 something is the highest I got. Not too bad but QPs are fairly high, above 10. IPB is locked to 60 without ML because of the profile.

Oh that's great even without ML.  :D When you test out the x12 (120mbps) bit rate, what card do you use? I'm thinking about getting new cards and the fastest UHS-1 cards from sandisk should do the trick, right? Even if it's not a fixed bit rate, it should keep up pretty good and stay there with no problem probably. [spoiler]http://www.ebay.com/itm/SANDISK-EXTREME-PRO-SDHC-95MB-633X-16GB-16G-16-G-GB-SD-HC-UHS-I-CLASS-10-NEW-/320785302234?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_PDAsAccessories_MemoryCards&hash=item4ab04b42da[/spoiler]

1%

Get UHS, its worth it. I tested on both a stock card and UHS card, did a bunch today. Rate control with low QPs is probably the best config so far. Still do 80-120Mb/s but its stable. I'm liking [email protected] over all I for some reason. All I seems to hit lower rates and stop more. I think technically speaking [email protected] is supposed to be better quality. Real world tests with more than just shooting out the window are needed.

Setting the target rate/init qp isn't really the best option for all modes. You'll want to edit the config files. Its mostly handy for CBR, that mode goes by those parameters. The other ones will stop switching QPs in essence becoming CBR.