Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malex

Hi, I just want to inform you that I had to return my 6D+24-105mm because of the errors I was having (Err01 - Err70)

Also one night when I used it intensely to shoot a small concert, it was horrible because the 6D would randomly turn off by itself while recording, or it would freeze, I had to remove the battery to turn it off. I once played with the bitrate menu but recording would stop so I gave up and put back normal settings.
I was using a Sandisk 95MB/s.

I don't know why it did this, I assume I received a broken camera... So I reinstalled Canon firmware and sent it back. I'll get a new one in 3 weeks... :(

a1ex

Did you try to use it a while without ML?

Malex

Quote from: a1ex on March 19, 2013, 12:24:11 AM
Did you try to use it a while without ML?

I was having the errors with the 24-105mm on my 550D also, (which had ML installed)
Then I reinstalled Canon firmware in the 6D and still had the errors! Then I took it to a canon repair place and the guy
put my 24-105 on a 500D (without ML) and the lens was working fine, I couldn't get the errors on it.
And my old lens worked fine with the 6D (at least no errors), so it was weird, so the repair guy told to return it.

My question : after having ML installed, then Canon firmware installed back, are there some ML foot print still in the camera?
Does the SD cards I got sucks?

fauxtographer

Quote from: a1ex on March 18, 2013, 09:01:10 PM
Can you post some silent pics to confirm that?

Oh sorry, I just meant in regular stock firmware.

I am not even sure myself how silent picture works.

6D | 24-105 f/4 | 70-200 f/4 | 28 - 35 - 50 - 50 - 135 |

1%

1920x1080 jpeg is read differently from the yuv video.

I got error 01 and error 70 together when my lens contacts weren't making contact. I would lose aperture on the screen and then it would do that when I took a pic. I cleaned the contacts and it went away... now the lens fell apart the rest of the way.

Any logs from shutdowns?

Malex

1%

at ./ColorCalc/ColorCalcState.c:387, task CLR_CALC

Same error I got from expo override being auto in certain modes. It would crash out bulb mode all the time till I set it to off. Were you changing any settings while shooting? Some high isos from photo mode don't work in movie mode and cause a freeze... but it would be right away. Only 1 log was loading config, others using eko.

Quote166.033 [WFT]  PROP_NETWORK_FTP (1)

Did you ever configure/use FTP. I tried to add online services it would give me a certificate error in eos utility. I should check my logs for this too... maybe related to wifi/tether freezes.

I also see a couple of busy errors which I have the reboot for but they seem to clear and then log cuts off after a while without anything too informative.

Thats all I can think of for now.

a1ex

QuoteIt would crash out bulb mode all the time

Probably it tries to adjust exposure according to bulb timer setting. This happens in lens.c, bv_expsim_shift - try commenting out its contents and see if it gets better.

This thing also kicks in when you use M mode and very slow shutter speeds (where Canon LiveView would be darker than the actual picture).

It only changes CONTROL_BV_TV, CONTROL_BV_ISO and display gain - maybe these are pointing to wrong locations?

1%

Will check those. Works fine in M + P modes. Only bulb mode had the problems until expo override got turned off. Will also check FTP prop # and make sure its not being set by something else.

Its also strange that I can't get as high of an iso in movie mode as in photo mode. If I try, camera locks up. One of these goofy things must be causing the freezing, it seems the same accross the board, wifi, tether and sometimes video. It would happen before any bit rate hacks were even made so something somewhere is wrong.

*The offsets are right.

bulb mode error is

ASSERT: ControlIso <= LVGAIN_MAX_ISO
at ./LvCommon/LvGainController.c:837, task Evf
lv:1 mode:4

Have to keep investigating.

Marsu42

Quote from: 1% on March 16, 2013, 04:25:53 AM
Gotta buy a cheap-o flash then.

Good idea, just be sure to get a ettl one (like a cheap Yongnuo) because my impression is some ml features currently screw ettl metering (like auto-iso, expo lock) - but I didn't have time to track this enough to post a bug report.

Quote from: a1ex on March 16, 2013, 09:44:54 AM
Good, so all you need to do is to change expo override code so it doesn't sync with Canon shutter speed above 1/4000.

Amen :-)

1%

Second one is done already. But its still just digital shutter.

fotojohni

Well, here's how you can all get vertical lines:

Go into photomode and set the camera to manual.
Set the magic lantern menu up to have a key shortcut that allows you to adjust the brightness with the arrow rocker.
Set the screen brightness up to +3 ev.
Point at something dark.

Doesn't matter the iso or the noise profile, actually it is most strongly noticed at iso 100.  The interesting thing is that the noise is very constant I believe that if you pull a frame out from a small video clip of a perfectly regular black wall you could overlay the reverse of the pattern on top of your footage.

Keep in mind that you are viewing this at +3 ev, it's a pretty intense boost.

Mirazimov

Mirazimov Photographer http://www.mirazimov.com
Canon RebelT2i, Canon 6D and a lot of optics.

1%

Messing with the digic registers that pattern starts to show up a lot. I really really hope the update fixes the resizing/timing issues.

Also it is possible to get fps override .2fps and NOT have lines which is really weird..

gravitatemediagroup

update from you or update from canon?

1%

We're supposed to get the 4:2:2 hdmi software update like 5d3. Otherwise have to find the cause on our own and that isn't easy. They're in photo LV where encoder is disconnected and processing paths are different.

fotojohni

Quote from: 1% on March 21, 2013, 10:35:47 PM
We're supposed to get the 4:2:2 hdmi software update like 5d3. Otherwise have to find the cause on our own and that isn't easy. They're in photo LV where encoder is disconnected and processing paths are different.

Wow, that's amazing.  Confidence restored.  But seriously, the camera is a beast and has more than won my heart.

The solution is to do an image overlay or a burn or whatever photoshop calls their process that only touches the shadow portion of the image negatively.  You overlay your reversal of the very clearly defined image pattern for each shutter speed.  For us we really only have to worry about 1/48 for 99% of the time.  If this can't be done in camera it can be done in post.

noisyboy

Quote from: 1% on March 21, 2013, 10:35:47 PM

Just out of curiosity, what makes you believe this is coming to the 6D dude? Haven't seen anything about announcements wise.

Would be SO happy if this were true though :)

1%

noisyboy

Quote from: 1% on March 22, 2013, 04:32:58 AM
I read it here.. hopefully they're not wrong

http://www.thefilmmakersworkshop.com/movie-cameras/canon-6d/

Yeah, I hope so too! That would be ace :) I do have my doubts by the fact that they also say that it should have no or close to no moire or aliasing issues though ;)

1%

I think nobody expected the moire since 5d3 didn't have it (or as much). 720P especially with MZ... wow.

Maybe with digic registers I can expand the image correctly. Crappy crop is already possible.
http://youtu.be/Q5D8JcgHJck

Maybe its not so much crop as orientation flip.

criz_a

Hi, I run ML on my 6D as well. First I had a jittering when using live view, so I deleted the config file, after that ML was running fine. I was only using the focus peak function, but after a couple of days it stopped working, the red/blue points don't appear any more while focusing in live view, and I have no clue what it could be. I tried to delete the config file again, and even reinstalled ML, but focus peaking still doesn't work. The ML version I am running is the one from the zip, built 03-01...

1%

You had alpha blend on.. that uses overlay so it jitters. Check the focus peaking submenu, all the modes should work. Blinking dots is the one without jitter.

criz_a

The jittering was gone after I deleted the config file, and I've had no problems since then. I didn't even change any settings in ML. It's just that focus peaking doesn't work any more, well I just noticed that all overlays are gone..? And yes, the canon menu is off in live view.

1%

Check global draw settings. Make sure its on all modes.

The jittering is just the overlay, its normal, same on all cameras.