Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTSET123

QuoteNobody has done like a 14hr balls to the wall shoot with it though.
I have (kind of)! The wedding that I shot, it was 10 hours of shooting. I shot 115GB of material and Tragic Lantern did not fail once.

1%

I fixed high res slient pics and preview for zoom pics. Does the intervalometer seem too fast? i set to 10 seconds and seems like 1s at least for silent pics.

needs a couple more tweaks for 5x5/4x4, not moving zoom box to correct spot.

gravitatemediagroup

went out to shoot some gh2/bmcc/6d compare shots today, and  would't ya know it.  6d was crash city.  bit 0 qp 0 CRASH.  lol how is this even possible?

1%

I dunno, do you have configs in the ML folder and are they right? Did you leave autoload on?

DTSET123

I think I found a new bug: when follow focus is set to arrows, you can control focus electronically but if you accidentally hit play button instead of zoom (while recording) the focus motor goes bananas.

1%

That's rack focus.

Set the focus you want, set steps to 0 (here). focus somewhere else with buttons. when you press play it should return the 0 position. Only works while recording though unless you activate it from the menu.

DTSET123

1%

hehe, no worries, I didn't even know it did that till you told me. Actually kind of cool, will use it.

sparedog

Quote from: 1% on February 18, 2013, 12:54:05 AM
hehe, no worries, I didn't even know it did that till you told me. Actually kind of cool, will use it.

if you can work out an easier way to set it up, I´ll worship you forever. i have tried to use rack focus since the beginning of this hack and it is so convoluted to setup, i give up most of the time

1%

Its usable when you set the start/end point before recording, otherwise good luck doing it on the fly. It just steps x in a direction. I think its a problem for all of ML but I can't think of a better way to do it.

DTSET123

why is there no MZ half-shutter? I miss it. I loved it on 5dmii

nubeax

I found three differences from ML to 550d.
1. In Live View focal length is not displayed correctly.
2. In Live View exposure does not appear, I mean 2, 0, -3
3.Tak same in Live View used to be easy to expose the white balance, any plans to do so as it was before? Previously, you could quickly with a few clicks to set the white balance and you want to enter the white balance, Q, go down and press auto adjust kelvin + G / M. Previously, it was just the way auto adjust kelvin without G / M, is it possible to do as it was before?

Sorry for the English, translated by google translator

1%

QuoteIn Live View focal length is not displayed correctly.
Thats prop LV lens, its different has to be re checked. Its on the list to fix.

QuoteIn Live View exposure does not appear, I mean 2, 0, -3

Download newer build without kill flicker. Is that exposure even right? I use the spot meter or just look at the scene usually.

Quoteit was just the way auto adjust kelvin without G / M, is it possible to do as it was before?

Probably the result of the new menus. You can use the shortcuts and press set and it will pick a kelvin.

Quotewhy is there no MZ half-shutter? I miss it

This is a ML problem in general. Its only set up to use either the zoom button or half shutter. I think it should let you chose canon zoom or mz on half shutter. You can choose mz or shortcuts for doubleclick. Eventually plan on doing the same thing for h/s. Its from the "no zoom button while recording" in internals.h

jgruen

Hello everybody,

first off, let me say that I'm really impressed by the porting progress to the 6D! I've used ML already at the 60D and it worked like a charm. As I preferably do time lapse sequences, I came across an issue yesterday when testing the bulb ramping feature (both the regular feedback controller and LRT) of which I'm not sure whether it is a bug or not. Therefore, my question: Is it desired that ML takes "bulb" ramping literally, i.e., should it _always_ shoot in bulb mode? This means that exposures faster than BULB_MIN_EXPOSURE (0.5 sec) are not possible. In turn, without ND filters this feature is pretty useless... As well, at the 60D I didn't have this problem.
What is strange as well is that if the scene is obviously too bright, ML shortens the exposure time step by step (as shown on the LCD display), but for the next picture, it again switches to bulb mode and exposes 0.5 seconds. Again, the picture is too bright, and the shutter time is shortened, at least in theory :)

Thanks and best regards from Austria!
Johannes

1%

The bulb ramping calibration failed for me too, could be related. I have to look at those functions and find out what is going on but good catch as I generally don't use this.

a1ex

Normally, taking a normal picture at 0.5 seconds and a bulb one at 0.5 seconds should result in the same exposure. If not, you need to adjust BULB_EXPOSURE_CORRECTION.

Some code that does this automatically:

int measure_brightness_level_at_median()
{
    msleep(500);
    struct vram_info * vram = get_yuv422_vram();
    hist_build(vram->vram, vram->width, vram->pitch);
    int ans = hist_get_percentile_level(50);
    return ans;
}

static int ref_bulb_level = 0;

int crit_bulb_calibrate(int cor)
{
    bulb_take_pic(500 + cor);
    ensure_play_or_qr_mode_after_shot();
    msleep(500);
    int bulb_level = measure_brightness_level_at_median();
    NotifyBox(1000, "ref=%d cor=%d => err=%d ", ref_bulb_level, cor, bulb_level - ref_bulb_level);
    msleep(1000);
    return ref_bulb_level - bulb_level;
}

void bulb_calibrate()
{
    msleep(2000);
    lens_set_rawshutter(64); // 0.5 seconds
    lens_take_picture(64,0);
    ensure_play_or_qr_mode_after_shot();
    msleep(500);
    ref_bulb_level = measure_brightness_level_at_median();
    NotifyBox(1000, "ref=%d ", ref_bulb_level);
    msleep(1000);

int cor = bin_search(-500, 500, crit_bulb_calibrate);

beep();
    NotifyBox(20000, "def BULB_EXPOSURE_CORRECTION %d", BULB_EXPOSURE_CORRECTION + cor);
}

1%

Returned 649 for me. Going to set it to that and see if calibration fails.

a1ex

1%

Calibration passes with photos, doesn't want to do it for silent pics tho.

a1ex

Silent pics don't work with bulb ramping.

rktaylor

I used ML with my 550D close to the beginning of ML and loved it but recently sold it and purchased the 6D.  I finally decided to install ML yesterday using the autoexec.bin-SilentPic build and it seems to be fairly unstable.  I would imagine that this is primarily due to it being still in the development stages.

The question I have is being that it is still in development will I ever need (baring a new firmware update from Canon) to upgrade the 6D-fir file?  Is that still being developed?  It seems that the only file I will need to update is the autoexec.bin file as it changes and continues to be developed ... is that correct?

Thanks for your efforts and I've always enjoyed following the development of ML!
6D | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 | EF 50 f/1.4 | EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: rktaylor on February 18, 2013, 11:44:52 PM
I used ML with my 550D close to the beginning of ML and loved it but recently sold it and purchased the 6D.  I finally decided to install ML yesterday using the autoexec.bin-SilentPic build and it seems to be fairly unstable.  I would imagine that this is primarily due to it being still in the development stages.

The question I have is being that it is still in development will I ever need (baring a new firmware update from Canon) to upgrade the 6D-fir file?  Is that still being developed?  It seems that the only file I will need to update is the autoexec.bin file as it changes and continues to be developed ... is that correct?

Thanks for your efforts and I've always enjoyed following the development of ML!

yes, just drag and drop autoexec file as they are released.
not sure what the process is when Canon releases new firmware.
and also, currently unstable is a very nice way of putting it.

teo770

ML Audio menu

Things that do not work for me:

- Beep, test tones: everything is ok except red light keep on a while
- Sound recorder: recording is OK but playback crashes with this error in log file:
ASSERT: FALSE at ./ASIF/ASIF.c:444, task beep_tasklv:1
- Voice Tags: crash the camera when recording the tag with this error in log file:
ASSERT: FALSE at ./ASIF/ASIF.c:444, task beep_tasklv:0
- Headphone monitoring: already talked before, no sound yet
- Audio meters: Works just fine !
My gear: CANON 6D / 40mm f2.8 STM / 20mm f2.8 / 24-105 f4 IS / Flash 90EX / Grip BG-E13

jgruen

Thanks 1% and a1ex for the fast response! Just asking, are you working on that 1%? Otherwise don't worry, maybe I'm going to fix this on my own and let you know what I found out.

Again speaking about intervalometer / time lapse: How do you see the chances to implement a feature that allows capturing a time lapse sequence series without flipping the mirror for each picture? Similar to LV, just without enabling the screen (for battery reasons obviously). I think this could be useful because it goes easy on the fragile parts of the camera. And one major drawback of serious time lapse photography is that it needs thousands of shutter releases which drops the value of the camera significantly :/

Thanks and regards!
Johannes

teo770

ML: SDCard format issue

Last time i tried with a 5D Mark II, when formating the SDCard, a ML process was backuping ML from the card and restoring it just after.

On the 6D, 2 messages and a kind of beep:
Restart your camera
Shoot_malloc err

You can format the card but ML is gone
My gear: CANON 6D / 40mm f2.8 STM / 20mm f2.8 / 24-105 f4 IS / Flash 90EX / Grip BG-E13