Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTSET123

Quotewithout sharing settings, you're not helping anyone out much ; )
Oh, sorry... I did not fuck with ini files because I was shooting a wedding and was too afraid it would stop in the middle of something important. I used stock rates but will continue experimenting and let you know as soon as I get something stable. Other then that ML was excellent, and full-screen zoom is just a life savior when you run and gun!

sparedog

Quote from: gravitatemediagroup on February 11, 2013, 02:20:05 AM
bought a BMCC for above retail

Whats above retail mean? Translates to more expensive than the retail price... but I dont think you mean that =D

sparedog

Yay, Mosaic Engineering has now released it´s anti-aliasing / anti moire filter for the Canon 6D, the VAF-6D.

I´m going to get one in a couple of weeks and test it out

fotojohni

I managed q = 1 and bitrate = 12 on all-i 24p, but when I switched to 720p all-i it lasted maybe 3 seconds before quitting out. 

Any idea why?  Also, the variable framerate function is really awesome, switching between 60 and 24 on the fly, very chill.

When I set frame rate to below 5, it still looks okay, or it gives the ol battery freeze.  However, the jello-cam is godawful. Not sure what's going on there, not a huge deal, I have the 600diz for that.

DTSET123

QuoteI´m going to get one in a couple of weeks and test it out
It looks promising but Im afraid it will ruin the photos as 6d is an amazing stills camera. Can't wait to see some real world tests and hear your overall opinion.  I'm reviewing the wedding footage that I shot and so far, Im really liking it! The ceremony was incredibly dark but 6d had no problem there- footage looks beautiful! Also, I did not run into moire problems on this particular shoot so I'm very happy :)

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: sparedog on February 11, 2013, 03:46:54 PM
Yay, Mosaic Engineering has now released it´s anti-aliasing / anti moire filter for the Canon 6D, the VAF-6D.

I´m going to get one in a couple of weeks and test it out

it's been out a week or two, the price is a bit too much for me.
is their any 6d clips showing that it works?

Quote from: sparedog on February 11, 2013, 03:43:41 PM
Whats above retail mean? Translates to more expensive than the retail price... but I dont think you mean that =D

yeah, being that they aren't just shipping left and right I went ahead and bought one for a little more from somebody.  worth
every single penny over retail that it cost.  the image from it is NO joke.

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: DTSET123 on February 11, 2013, 10:47:17 PM
It looks promising but Im afraid it will ruin the photos as 6d is an amazing stills camera. Can't wait to see some real world tests and hear your overall opinion.  I'm reviewing the wedding footage that I shot and so far, Im really liking it! The ceremony was incredibly dark but 6d had no problem there- footage looks beautiful! Also, I did not run into moire problems on this particular shoot so I'm very happy :)

can you post a frame  from it?

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: fotojohni on February 11, 2013, 10:27:18 PM
I managed q = 1 and bitrate = 12 on all-i 24p, but when I switched to 720p all-i it lasted maybe 3 seconds before quitting out. 

Any idea why?  Also, the variable framerate function is really awesome, switching between 60 and 24 on the fly, very chill.

When I set frame rate to below 5, it still looks okay, or it gives the ol battery freeze.  However, the jello-cam is godawful. Not sure what's going on there, not a huge deal, I have the 600diz for that.

the rolling shutter/jello footage is one of my biggest complaints about the 6d, has nothing to do with ML.
anything I've shot handheld has been pretty much useless.

sparedog

1%

QuoteHowever, the jello-cam is godawful.

same as 600d but ya.. weak.

I was able to reproduce dtset's grass effect on similar grass. Rate was crazy, not normal RC rate. clips are 120+
so now we can find out wtf happened and figure out a way to make sure it doesn't.

Ok, solved your defect:

It occurs when target rate < rate produced from qp range. Set bitrate to 50 in the RC config and record iso 512k... now your rate limited to 50 but the defect is on every clip.

The solution: Set target rate in config to like 300 or 250mb/s... this way the camera will never exceed it.

gravitatemediagroup

I should have something to post tomorrow, I've not experimented yet with how complicated a raw workflow will be, but I'm going to shoot a short commercial for my wife's father's company.  look up the "meet me in big sur" video if you haven't yet, AMAZING

DTSET123

QuoteThe solution: Set target rate in config to like 300 or 250mb/s... this way the camera will never exceed it.
Interesting... Will try

Thank you for adding Kelvin temps - very helpful!

1%

hehehe, I think that was a1ex...

i set it to 180 on my own config. i don't think IPB ever exceeded that. Another interesting thing tho is that ipb pretty much never stops. I can record static from my 42" with it but when I switch to all-I it stops after like 1s.

DTSET123

QuoteSet target rate in config to like 300 or 250mb/s
just to be sure, how many 0s is that?

1%

180000000 mbp/s... I kno too many 0's

FYI, 6D only supports 100MHZ uhs so UHS50 works UHS104 does not... and from sparedog's tests 100mhz performance of 208mhz cards is terrible.

fotojohni

So what is everyone's verdict on the quality of the footage?  In my opinion with a pentax 1.4 smc this is some of the nicest footage I've ever seen. 

I like the noise profile way better then the ccd cameras currently used in big productions.  The footage is just inherently deep in color. And it lends itself well to color correction.  It seems like the dark areas of the scene especially have a very nice neep roll off into black.  Whereas what I've seen from ccd cameras such as the red is there is always some noise unless you truly crush the blacks in post (cutting at least a few stops off the dynamic range).

Even with bitrate not being anything close to true raw, it seems that ultimately you are getting a more honest dynamic range and color depth solely based on the noise profile.

1%

on thing I can't complain about is iso performance.

But red is 4:2:2+ and not 8 bit and the moire... oh the moire :(

DTSET123

sparedog

Triple that! It makes 720 really hard to use, any wide shot seems to get it. I hope the filter helps

But I too love the noise. In all I, it´s really nice, and all the ISOs are useable which is extremely cool

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: gravitatemediagroup on February 11, 2013, 11:54:58 PM
can you post a frame  from it?

keep in mind this is my first time attempting RAW

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: sparedog on February 12, 2013, 01:50:57 AM
shoot something and post it

keep in mind this is my first time attempting RAW video and i'm not quite a wizard with resolve yet
jpeg compression isn't doing it any justice, just an example of it's DR
http://www.sendspace.com/file/16ayef

1%

i haven't noticed more noise in all I vs IPB but with inter-frame who knows. maybe the noise pixels are getting compressed across frames, lol.

is that 1080P or downscaled. Looks like 6D/600D sans moire and with good color

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: 1% on February 13, 2013, 04:05:03 AM
i haven't noticed more noise in all I vs IPB but with inter-frame who knows. maybe the noise pixels are getting compressed across frames, lol.

is that 1080P or downscaled. Looks like 6D/600D sans moire and with good color

is this question asked about my print screen, copy/paste in PS jpeg compression frame grabs? lol
trust me, BMCC is in a whole different galaxy from any consumer priced canon
i've owned the bmcc for about 72 hours, and today was my first time using it's RAW video.
I own a 6d, and returned a junk t4i.  no cotest

if you own a 2k or 4k monitor I would be more than happy to mail you some footage that wouldn't appear 1080
you could probably give a more honest judgment that way

all you have to do is watch the meet me in big sur video to know that the bmcc is NO 6d or t?i

1%

Only have 2k. Why not take some actual frame grabs?

gravitatemediagroup

do you want me to upload one of the dng files? because that is a frame