Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

wifi could be dropping but the camera locks up to a battery pull...

overriing 720P much worse than 30p or 24p, I get lines at like 5-10fps, even more. video comes out green. windows says its 1280x1792. need to test override and find out what is good. so far 7 for 24/30p i got up to like 24 in 60p

gravitatemediagroup

I think I fixed my noise/lines issues.

lowest ISO possible seems to be the issue.  600 or above looks better

sparedog

Quote from: gravitatemediagroup on February 08, 2013, 01:12:28 AM
I think I fixed my noise/lines issues.

lowest ISO possible seems to be the issue.  600 or above looks better

unfortunately that doesnt sound ¨fixed¨. ISO 100 is perfect on my camera, and the noise only comes in at 6400

1%

The issue is from sensor timing. fps override at fault here, does it in all modes. I did more testing and you can tune it down to lines/no lines when it oscillates. Unfortunately leaves us at 7fps for 24p and 15fps for 60p :( if you set it lower, stock or not, you'll get defects.

Here are some examples, green is 60P

http://imgur.com/a/k23Qg

actually, green happens when transform + scaling flag is changed for 60P but line behavior is the same.

DTSET123

is it possible to add kelvin values somewhere in the corner when using shortcuts? Since canon took out WB it is a pain to dive in to menu just to check you wb temperature

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: 1% on February 08, 2013, 01:40:01 AM
The issue is from sensor timing. fps override at fault here, does it in all modes. I did more testing and you can tune it down to lines/no lines when it oscillates. Unfortunately leaves us at 7fps for 24p and 15fps for 60p :( if you set it lower, stock or not, you'll get defects.

Here are some examples, green is 60P

http://imgur.com/a/k23Qg

actually, green happens when transform + scaling flag is changed for 60P but line behavior is the same.

All I care about is 24p, so what can I do to always avoid the lines?
Im a little confused, I never use the override (unless ML kicks it in automatically)

sparedog

Does anyone know how many lines the 6d resolves at in video mode?

1%

FPS override never kicks in automatically.

QuoteAll I care about is 24p, so what can I do to always avoid the lines?

For me its as simple as not using fps override that low.
if its happening all the time like you said:
do a dimly lit scene, turn on peaking in sharpness mode. you should see the lines when there is a timing problem. adjust fps override till you don't see them anymore. then you'll get an idea about how much its off. I don't notice them on fully exposed scenes even at fps 1.5... but then I there is a chance of video defects like dtset got.

Have to get to the bottom of this eventually, kinda looks like vertical lines being skipped in all honesty. Our res is 1808x1206... 6d has more than usual moire for many... I somehow feel this is all related.

QuoteDoes anyone know how many lines the 6d resolves at in video mode?

and when you get the lines, does it resolve less.

ManixLiquid

More I read this thread, more I get confused. I would like to shoot/test around 80mpbs. I have the scandisk extreme 95MB/s 10 card. Here the config I made:

On Camera:
BitRate: 8
InitQP: 10
Autoload Config: Override
Config Loaded: Yes
ConfigSelect: Rate Control
FPS overide: 24.000
FPS ramping: off

RC.ini notepad:
Transform8x8Flag = 2
Profile = 100
Level = 51
BitRate = 80000000
EntropyCodingMode = 1
IntraPicInitQP = -1
InterPicInitQP = -1
QpOffsetForB = 0
MinQpI = 1
MinQpP = 1
MinQpB = 1
MaxQpI = 16
MaxQpP = 16
MaxQpB = 16MinBitrate = 60000000
MaxBitrate = 80000000
SarWidth = 0
SarHeight = 0
AspectRatioIdc = 1
VideoFmtAndVspFlag = 81
VideoFullRangeFlag = 1
TimingInfoPresentFlag = 0
RateControlEnable = 2
ScalingMatrices = 0
pScalingMatrixAddr[0] = 0
pScalingMatrixAddr[1] = 0
pScalingMatrixAddr[2] = 0
pScalingMatrixAddr[3] = 0
pScalingMatrixAddr[4] = 0
pScalingMatrixAddr[5] = 0

Good? Not good?
BlackMagic Camera & Canon EOS 6D w/ Zeiss Distagon 35mm & 50mm, Sigma 10mm-20mm.

sparedog

follow focus and shortcuts seem to conflict with each other?

1%

it works, you can toggle between them but its a doubleclick while recording, feature is in zoom prefs

1%

QuoteBitRate: 8
InitQP: 10
Autoload Config: Override

Making fixed qp cbr with a target of 80 which may or not be ignored depending on what qp10 makes.

Just set the config and don't override it if using a rate control mechanism. what you want, VBR will give you but that mode is a bit unstable, freezes if camera can't provide requested rate.  don't think you get the buffer squares either, just stops like nothing happened.  there should be VBR 20, 30, 60, 80 but those would all have to be separate configs :(

I thought of a possible solution to the level problem. Make it only appear for like 10 seconds or until level is achieved. After that it dissapears until the camera isn't level again.

*Powersave + expo lock fixed. Maybe ML auto ISO too? bulb ramping calibration seems fixed from this too.

#define ISO_ADJUSTMENT_ACTIVE 0 this function isn't used anymore.

Germy1979

Quote from: DTSET123 on February 07, 2013, 02:45:36 AM
I am in the same baot as you are but I think RC is like VBR, but with the -1qp which attempts to record at lower qp.
qp 1 is the best quality but it requires very high bit rates, so we are all curious if it will work on your card.
try this and let us know:
bir rate: 0
Initqp: 1
Autoload config: override
Configselect: Rate Control

Config loaded: yes

See if it will crash and what rates is it showing. If this will crash, try raising iniqp until it will stop crashing. Oh, and make sure you are using IPB compression.

I tried this on my card, and it was successful...  - provided you didn't point it at a death chart, lol.

A 30 second clip with those settings in IPB was 541.56 mb.  Quicktime Inspector showed an average bit rate at 143.28 mbits. 
I have a screen over my window, and the blinds are made of small-intertwined rope and wooden slats..  the kind that roll up.. (not sure what the technical term for them is)..  Very, very fine detail that when focused in on, made the camera go apeshit and stop recording immediately.

I actually tried those settings with All-i.   The second I hit record, it shot a bolt of lightning across the room, farted, and rebooted.   So I assume that's why you said "IPB"..  ;D

So "QP" as I understand it is like a compression ratio?  level 1 must be borderline raw, lol. 

I would explode in a harmonious display of rainbows and kittens if ML would one day offer clean HDMI at full res..   

gravitatemediagroup

I just tried the above settings and ended up with a twitchy clip, almost like it would skip 3 or 4 frames during playback every couple seconds.
out of about 4 test shots, the shots with the most detail obviously were affected the most. this was with an extreme pro card.
it never crashed, which is a step in the right direction.

go shoot a clip of a bush or a tree and you will probably be able to emulate the twitching

2 clips were 130 mb/s
1 clip was in the 140's
the twitch clip was 158

I'm gonna up the Q to 5 or higher.  some of the best clips I got with ML was when the bit was between 80-100, any higher and it appears to fall apart and go back to stock FW quality. lol

UPDATE:
QP 5 = crash issues
I'm gonna stay between 1-3 for now I guess.  Still not happy with the overall look of the video quality. just looks like mud, stock or ML.

As a stills camera, I like it a lot.

1%

Y'all doin it wrong.

Fixed qp is fixed qp. 

Quotesome of the best clips I got with ML was when the bit was between 80-100, any higher and it appears to fall apart and go back to stock FW quality.

Nothing is going back to stock anything, DIGIC IV ml changed values which influenced the picked 'qp'. Here we are setting qp directly.

Quoteyou will probably be able to emulate the twitching

2 reasons to have twitching.
*Playback from card, your player can't read enough data fast enough and glitches out or frame skips
*Camera is overloaded at current quality and starts losing frames... the TI soc has frame skip,  CBR fixed mode has NO rate control.

when in doubt open up in virtualdub and go frame by frame, post examples of defects

twitching in media player classic happens a lot playing directly from the card, opening the clips in VLC or copying them = no twitching.

QuoteQP 5 = crash issues

1 and 3 better than 5, scene too complex for 1,3,5 try like 10 or 15 the lower qps just stop it sooner.
this is why you don't do fixed qp.

compare h264 to .422 frame, its what is input to the encoding sOC

sparedog

gravitatemediagroup - Im confused. Did you fix your camera, get a replacement, or decide that the noise and strange lines are liveable with?

gravitatemediagroup

my twitching clips happened in VLC, I never watch footage in media player

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: sparedog on February 11, 2013, 01:21:10 AM
gravitatemediagroup - Im confused. Did you fix your camera, get a replacement, or decide that the noise and strange lines are liveable with?

they aren't as noticeable at higher ISO and it creates more noise I guess that just blends into the lines, bought a BMCC for above retail from somebody that had an extra for sale, and the 6d is now a good stills camera.
i'm gonna follow the progression of ML for it, for now, it's just a good stills cam ; )

when I considered the c100, I pretty much remembered that it's extremely overpriced and can get a BMCC right now for $3000 less

1%

how does it play in the NLE? what's a twitchy frame look like?

ManixLiquid

gravity, does 6D a good b-roll camera with BMCC in terms of "matching colors"?
BlackMagic Camera & Canon EOS 6D w/ Zeiss Distagon 35mm & 50mm, Sigma 10mm-20mm.

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: ManixLiquid on February 11, 2013, 02:25:46 AM
gravity, does 6D a good b-roll camera with BMCC in terms of "matching colors"?

wouldn't ever even attempt to B roll the 6D with it.  gh2...probably

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: 1% on February 11, 2013, 02:25:27 AM
how does it play in the NLE? what's a twitchy frame look like?

didn't even waste time pulling it into a a NLE
it would skip about 3 or 4 frames every couple of seconds, like it was jumping forwards like frames were dropped, and was pissed about it so I deleted the clip and jumped up to QP 3 and it hasn't done it since.

DTSET123

Yesterday worked 6D for 10 hours - no issues at all!

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: DTSET123 on February 11, 2013, 02:56:27 AM
Yesterday worked 6D for 10 hours - no issues at all!

without sharing settings, you're not helping anyone out much ; )

1%

Quotewithout sharing settings

You have to read up on how encoding works and why you're setting the things your setting.

This is pretty much configuring x264 with a 422 YuV input. the frames have to go from 4.4MB to <1MB. The uncompressed silent pics don't differ so much from H264 frames (not counting 422 -> 420). I can't fix the resizing+moire unless we change the yuv buffer created. I get moire and same "poor" quality shooting 4.22s.

600D vs 6D, better resolution vs way better ISO.