Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gravitatemediagroup

all I

i'm not all that worried about it, doing test is pointless IMO until alpha is released.
but the more I use the 6d as my "canon video camera" the more it makes me want to stop playing games and get the c100 w/atomos ninja2

Chair

Quote from: Chair on January 16, 2013, 05:11:43 PM
... is it too much to hope that I'll be able to monitor audio through my AV ouput... ?
Hi developers, I am following the action from the sidelines, but in the meantime I have been working in the field with my 6D. I just want to reiterate my sincere hope/request that you guys will be able to enable audio out for monitoring through the A/V port while recording video. Thanks and keep up the great work!

1%

I've been experimenting on audio so far all I can do is send commands. i got the screen to go off for headphone but the ic has to be configured to send audio there.

gravitatemediagroup

not sure how anybody is having success with high bit rate video, but I can't shoot anything for longer than 3 seconds without the camera crashing, and I've tried MULTIPLE variations.

VBR has no issues as far as I can tell.

I honestly had better looking video without ML, now I end up with a lot of noise and vertical lines.

1%

noise isn't affected by bitrate but by iso. Only time I had lines was when fps override was too high/low on older versions.

DTSET123

I think you are expecting too much out of 6d. Achieving high bit rates does not necessarily mean that you will see visual improvement in quality like gh2 did. After all, we are still in 8 bit world and h.264 has limitations. 6D has severe moire issues and software won't fix that. If you can't live with this quality then maybe c100 is justifiable for you (if you can afford it).

DTSET123

Speaking of quality, 1% do you know if anybody is working on mjpeg or is that dead in the water?

1%

dead for now. need to figure out the jpeg saving functions just like 600D/5d3/etc

lots of other things to fix too

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: DTSET123 on February 05, 2013, 05:02:02 AM
I think you are expecting too much out of 6d. Achieving high bit rates does not necessarily mean that you will see visual improvement in quality like gh2 did. After all, we are still in 8 bit world and h.264 has limitations. 6D has severe moire issues and software won't fix that. If you can't live with this quality then maybe c100 is justifiable for you (if you can afford it).

I don't want 400mbs, I just want something realistic that doesn't crash, and the fact that it's crashing at the lowest possible setting is a little messed up, although I'm going to see if what 1% said solves the issue.
8bit is not an excuse I will ever use.
the 6d in theory should be able to produce a better video than the 5d MKII, and there has been some AMAZING stuff come from a MKII.
moire isn't an issue that I have had an issue with so far, and if i did, the mosaic engineering filter is AVAILABLE.

gravitatemediagroup

my extreme noise is happening at lowest iso 200

DTSET123

Quotemy extreme noise is happening at lowest iso 200
That's strange. I use stock all-i for now until better days but it is very clean at 200

1%

some examples would be nice tho. I haven't had an issues like this.

Quoteuntil better day

not much better is going to happen on this front, except maybe a better interface. After 5d3 this is the furthest port along. the only thing left on H264 is directly setting frame settings (there's one more test function) and the adaptive 4x4 matrices which produce unplayable video now.

sparedog

I´m getting clean results right up to 150mbs. at 200mbs the camera freaks out. Im going buy a faster card and test

1%

maybe he left focus peaking on.

sparedog

with new build: autoexec.bin.refactoring

HIGHLIGHT TONE PRIORITY when selected in menu, menu flashes
in SOUND RECORDER, PLAYBACK SELECTED FILE crashed the camera
I cant get CROPMARKS to show up

1%

will look. everything that was old is new again with the menu api change. advanced HDR bracketing -- changing the iSO will also hang it.

maybe its something in the config... Its working for me from the ISO menu. Both photo and movie. However now picture styles edited from ML menu don't survive a reboot.

sparedog

Quote from: 1% on February 06, 2013, 01:38:10 AM
maybe he left focus peaking on.

A question about freeing up the processor. it is possible to turn off recording sound and use the little bit of extra processing for video? or do they get processed in different parts of the chip so it wouldnt achieve anything?

1%

You can try but it recorded sound even at 100mbps unlike the older cameras. It should save a tiny bit only.

sparedog

So these are my results, with a class 30 MB/s

I can record up to 150mb/s no problem
150-175mb/s is tricky, I have to watch the buffer and keep it out of the red
200mb/s it records and stops after a few seconds

the buffer seems to go red at 51%, is this due to it not updating the number on screen fast enough?

1%

Shit, its editing the picture style bellow it. so I edit neutral and faithful gets the edits.

Yea, buffer/overlays doesn't update fast enough. by the time you see it, its already stopped. On 600D I sped it up, here its still up in the air on whether its worth it.

sparedog

Quote from: 1% on February 06, 2013, 01:57:49 AM
Yea, buffer/overlays doesn't update fast enough. by the time you see it, its already stopped. On 600D I sped it up, here its still up in the air on whether its worth it.

no its cool. it is still enough of a guide to ride it and keep the dial out of the red. certainly for testing purposes, so i can see what the cut off point is for my setup.

i´m going to buy a 90MB/s and see what it gives me. anyone else tried one? please post.

DTSET123

I had similar results with my Patriot LX card but every time i pointed camera to complicated scenes, it would burst to crazy bit rates and stop recording. I have tried many configurations but could not get it stable so I have decided to stick with stock. Besides, for those few seconds that I was able to record, I did not see significant improvement in quality but I did not try color grading.
I think that Tragic Lantern is ready for Alpha, maybe if more people play with settings they will prove me wrong.

1%

i haven't had too many stops on rate control even with sound mostly on vbr and cbr. the IPB@ ~60-70mbps isn't too bad but haven't tried to grade any yet. pretty much up to stock all-I. if you can get steady 200 on a 90MB card you could just record qp1 all the time. technically 200 is only 25MB/s but i'm betting the lower tier cards can't keep that up for the gigs and gigs that gets recorded. I think the ML test is only on 1gb and that's not even a full minute.

would be interesting to see the 'pro' cards graph of sustained write over time. like after 15gb where's it at.

Quotemaybe if more people play with settings they will prove me wrong.

I think the menu change set us back a tiny bit. but "alpha" is ongoing.

Quoteit would burst to crazy bit rates and stop recording

sounds like fixed qp recording. rate control kept it real even on a cheap 32gb card.

DTSET123

Quotesounds like fixed qp recording. rate control kept it real even on a cheap 32gb card
When I tried RC at first, without any overrides, it still crashed. I will do some more testing later.

Question, when arrow shortcuts are on, for automatic white balance it says push but how? The SET button does not do it. How do you use that feature?

sparedog

is it ML or canon who puts the four white blocks on the screen when the buffer is full and recording stops?