Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rikoshet

Hi guys! I know all you are now busy with the raw staff, bat can I ask you if it would be possible to make record 2 channels like on 5dmkII? I mean one channel from internal mic and one from external mic?
Thanks!
5d mk3, 5d mk2, 7d, 550d, gh4

teo770

[113] Improv.zip:
1504x600@24p: 34.8MB/s
Frame drops after 1300 frames/1890 MB
My gear: CANON 6D / 40mm f2.8 STM / 20mm f2.8 / 24-105 f4 IS / Flash 90EX / Grip BG-E13

1%

I got slightly higher speeds on this one... 2K frames of 1320x540.. last time only 1300 or less. 27.9MB/s vs 27.2 and no more dropping into the 26s and 25s.

teo770

We need a debug log somewhere which register all things till frame drops.
Both for last update then on the good raw_rec "4 buffers no worries" to find out what has so changed.
No ? Possible ?

For example: every 1 sec CPU usage / memory / buffer content
My gear: CANON 6D / 40mm f2.8 STM / 20mm f2.8 / 24-105 f4 IS / Flash 90EX / Grip BG-E13

DTSET123

I still have a problem with raw2dng with files larger then 4gb (windows). I though I read somewhere that Alex fixed it... 1% is there a new version that I missed? Can you upload it because the one you have up there is not opening

never mind GOT IT :)

1%

For some reason it won't read over 4GB files... I dunno why. The header is there and i compiled for 64bits and even updated stuff to long long int.

CPU can't be measured, we can't take over tasks. I think what changed is allocating all the memory at once vs using single large chunks. I think we just need to take more of the 256 or whatever memory and shut down camera processes.. those mean hacks that were talked about.

noisyboy

So...

Just got my Delkin 633x which is supposedly the fasted card on the market and I'm sad to report that it gives me absolutely no improvement in performance vs my Sandisk Extreme 45MBs. Even benchmarks the same. If anyone has any suggestions on fun things to try to make it perform better then holla  8)

Ps. Tried formatting both fat32 and exfat (with different unit allocation sizes) and still pretty much the same - if anything is performing worse than the Sandisk. Will try a full format but not that optimistic. Don't waste your money and stick with Sandisk Extemes for now - they're like a 3rd of the price.

noisyboy

Quote from: 1% on May 17, 2013, 03:51:46 PM
I got slightly higher speeds on this one... 2K frames of 1320x540.. last time only 1300 or less. 27.9MB/s vs 27.2 and no more dropping into the 26s and 25s.

Weird man. I wonder why you get better performance than I do? I lose about 3MB/s on this vs "no worries" version.

teo770

Could we have a kind of "4buffers no worries" + white frame + start/stop button + bip sound raw_rec.mo ?
So we can deep test the 1504x600. Night, day, trees, inside/outside.... etc, moving kids, the SEA ;)

You talking about freeing more mem disabling photo functions but with the fastest SD card, we would top at 50MB/s in the 6D.
So resolution about.... 1840x680 (640 to be sure), right ? Approching too close the 50MB/s write speed... what about sound ?

DTSET123

QuoteSo...

Just got my Delkin 633x which is supposedly the fasted card on the market and I'm sad to report that it gives me absolutely no improvement in performance vs my Sandisk Extreme 45MBs. Even benchmarks the same. If anyone has any suggestions on fun things to try to make it perform better then holla 

Ps. Tried formatting both fat32 and exfat (with different unit allocation sizes) and still pretty much the same - if anything is performing worse than the Sandisk. Will try a full format but not that optimistic. Don't waste your money and stick with Sandisk Extemes for now - they're like a 3rd of the price.

that sucks!
looks like that is the best it gets for 6d. I doubt that we can find a SDR50 card that can write that fast :(

noisyboy

Quote from: DTSET123 on May 17, 2013, 05:00:10 PM
that sucks!
looks like that is the best it gets for 6d. I doubt that we can find a SDR50 card that can write that fast :(
Yeah man. Gutted :(

On the plus side - it's nice to know that I don't have to spend £65 per 32GB of data :)

1% - Where in the world are you bro? I would gladdly send you my new Delkin card so you can test shit out and not be limited by your card if that helps? Of course eventually I'd want it back but if you wanted it for a couple weeks before I need it again then I don't mind sending it your way at all dude :)

teo770

Quote from: noisyboy on May 17, 2013, 05:14:44 PM
... then I don't mind sending it your way at all dude :)
I see... corruption is growing everywhere !!!  ;D

noisyboy

Quote from: teo770 on May 17, 2013, 05:18:05 PM
I see... corruption is growing everywhere !!!  ;D

Lol - not entirely sure what that means but cool! ;)

1%

There is probably a card that can do 45/6 or something like that, not sure what that would be. Maybe that toshiba card or ep pro.

The memory managment is different, would have to rewrite it back to that. New benchmark will run for a while and is supposed to be used to find best buffer size... still WIP, need to fix it not just put it back to the old way.. .which will crash out zoom recording when finished.

With more memory maybe higher res won't be continuous but you will have lots of buffer. A minute of full size raw is better than it just stopping.

I don't know you'd get the card back in 1 piece... these writes really take a toll. For all we know the cards are getting worn down, esp writing raws then moving and deleting and writing over the same spot again.

noisyboy

Don't worry man - I understand the risks :)

Just trying to do my part to contribute as I no fuck all about coding this bad boy and am pretty much learning all of this from you guys as we move along (seriously - learned so much the last couple weeks so thanks).

Anyway, the offer still stands. Or even if it makes you feel less guilty I can send you a Sandisk Extreme. Honestly don't mind man  :D

1%

Are you in the US? Try the benchmark for like 1/2 hr and see what it says about buffers.

teo770

leenks

Hey guys, I recently upgraded from a 600d to a 6D & the first thing I did was look up to see if I could put ML on it. I see its still in development and I've seen a few guys with it on their 6Ds. Can someone please instruct me how to get the current build running on my 6D? I understand the risks. I dont know a lot of about code but I will play around with ML and report and feedback on anything worthwhile that I find. Thanks in advance.

noisyboy

Quote from: 1% on May 17, 2013, 06:07:20 PM
Are you in the US? Try the benchmark for like 1/2 hr and see what it says about buffers.

I'm in the UK but it's only a memory card. Wont cost much to send. I'll even pay to get it back dude. It benefits us all so I honestly don't mind. You spend night and day on this thing and consequently I will use these features to make money which will eventually far supersede the cost of a memory card. That or the donations really should start up again. Even if it buys all the devs a decent card each cos you deserve to at least have the tools to do the job :)

I know you guys do it for the fun of it anyway but I'm just saying you shouldn't feel bad about people funding the work you guys do, even if it only covers the cost of development. That's what's so fucking awesome about the internet :)

About that Benchmark test, could you point me in the right direction? Not sure how to do anything more than a standard 5 minute write/read test.

1%

Latest has card benchmark infinite.

teo770

God ! By mistake tried for 1st time benchmark in photo and "playback" mode, global draw off !!!
(no modules loaded)

Results

Writ 2048k: 39.9 MB/s
read 2048k: 42.5 MB/s
writ 1953k: 35.1 MB/s
read 1953k: 41.3 MB/s
write 3072k: 40.6 MB/s
read 3072k: 43.2 MB/s
write 2929k: 36.6 MB/s
read 2929k:42.2 MB/s
write 4096k:41.1 MB/s
read 4096k: 43.3 MB/s
write 3906k: 38.6 MB/s
read 3906k: 43 MB/s
write 16384k: 41.7 MB/s
read 16384k: 44.1 MB/s
write 15625k: 41.5 MB/s
read 15625k: 44.1 MB/s

Soooo 41.7MB/s write speed is possible... with Sandisk !
My new question..... can we record RAW while in photo mode ???

1%

Wrong bench but yea, photo mode will work with LV open.. Photo mode without LV nope

teo770

ahhhhhhhhh i know this is not what you want but:

Photo mode LV open, recorded 4GB 1536x640@24p
only 5 frames drops !!!!!
... with the "4buffers_no_worries" raw_rec.mo !

I try imediatly with the last [113] Improv.zip !!!!
Damned, with [113] Improv.zip in photo mode LV open, the RAW video menu offers only width: 611 and heigh: -22 ??????
And of course LV button, does not record !

1%

Lv button records on newest but yea, we're trying to figure out the speed issue. Also remember LV and zoom modes have to be overriden otherwise its 30FPS.