Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noisyboy

Quote from: 1% on May 15, 2013, 01:36:33 AM
You don't need a mac... just put OSX on your PC.

My wisdom is I bought a crappy card and wondering if I should return it and just buy the sandisk... that extra 10MB really hurts.

If I could achieve that without spending a week flattening my PC and then wanting to smash it to pieces cos the dual boot fails I would  8)

There just isn't enough time between jobs to tackle it.

noisyboy

Just bought the Delkin 633x 32GB. Let's hope they live up to being the "fastest SD cards in the world"! That or I'm gonna be pissed off that I just spent £60 on a pissing memory card :p

1%

I'm looking at benchmarks and patriot EP pro 64 is like $69, Sandisk is $65... sandisk we see does ~39MB.. the patirot aparently does 41, lulz.

noisyboy

Just had some success in removing the horrible color artifacts from moire in post!

For anyone interested I basically found a plugin that would allow me to blur JUST the chroma and realised RE:Vision Smoothkit allows you to do just that! Works amazingly well! Of course you still have the problem with the pattern in luminance but I managed to get some very impressive results in just getting rid of the ugly-ass colours!

noisyboy

If anyone here is shooting 25fps - try 24 instead! Getting a much bigger performance!

noisyboy

Luuuuulz  ;D

After all this time using ML I never knew I had PushWB!

Forget RAW... I'm made up now  8)

noisyboy

Ugh... I give up! Shot some random handheld shit earlier while testing stability and reliability etc and have just been going through it all.

This time I have absolutely no Moire issues and have brickwork AND trees in the shot! It should be horific! Soooooo Confused.

Uploading now: http://ge.tt/6jRVggg/v/0?c

I think having a properly exposed shot makes a huge difference! That or there really is THAT big a difference between shooting 1320x600 and 1540x600.

Damn it! Just realized there was a frame tear in there too! Just when I thought I had it all sorted :)

kgv5

Quote from: noisyboy on May 15, 2013, 02:18:11 AM
Just bought the Delkin 633x 32GB. Let's hope they live up to being the "fastest SD cards in the world"! That or I'm gonna be pissed off that I just spent £60 on a pissing memory card :p

Great! We will see if there is a difference (so keep your fingers crossed). Run a benchmark ASAP
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

sam.anstis

Hey guys, great work so far with the RAW video feature!

I was just wondering if this card would be suitable to use with the RAW function:
http://www.sandisk.com.au/products/memory-cards/sd/extremepro-sdxc-sdhc-uhs-1-95mbs/

I'm kind of new with all this stuff, so please bear with me a bit. Thanks in advance

kgv5

Quote from: 1% on May 15, 2013, 01:06:39 AM

Yea. The memory thing is weird. On 600D I get 3X30MB buffers and I have 104MB.. on 6D its the same... but technically we should have 5 buffer stars there. If this is fixed I think a whole lot more resolutions will be usable.

I remember in some of the earier builds there were 4 stars... I think so but i am not quite sure.
1%, so with 3 stars 6D isn't alocating 152 mb like in the old LV_rec module?

I know, that these are different modules - I came back to the old LV_rec and it's only utilizes about 30mb/s write speed instead 38-39 like raw_rec.

So correct me if I am wrong: for 6D

old LV_rec allocates 152mb and writes ~28-30mb/s
newest raw_rec allocates  104 mb and writes as we know 38-39 mb/s.

Is there any way to somehow combine those things? Or maybe they already are...

One more quite dumb question, devs, sorry for that -  LV_rec has a raw 1920 res width. Raw_rec has max 1840 (it says that can't give more). Despite of low speed card couldn't we use 1920x800 in a 6D even in shorter sequences? I know, we can always use older LV_rec but maybe with 38-39mb/s we could get ~100-120 frames (now ~70 frames).

Thanks
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

teo770

Quote from: noisyboy on May 15, 2013, 06:37:47 AM
Ugh... I give up! Shot some random handheld shit earlier while testing stability and reliability etc and have just been going through it all.

This time I have absolutely no Moire issues and have brickwork AND trees in the shot! It should be horific! Soooooo Confused.

Uploading now: http://ge.tt/6jRVggg/v/0?c

Did you import it with After Effect ?
If so, you can apply lens correction (distortion and vigneting) when Camera Raw opens the 1st DNG
My gear: CANON 6D / 40mm f2.8 STM / 20mm f2.8 / 24-105 f4 IS / Flash 90EX / Grip BG-E13

noisyboy

Quote from: teo770 on May 15, 2013, 01:50:35 PM
Did you import it with After Effect ?
If so, you can apply lens correction (distortion and vigneting) when Camera Raw opens the 1st DNG

Yo Teo :) Yeah I always start with Camera Raw in AE. I don't think lens corrections are going to do much in terms of helping moire and aliasing though.

Just about to go out and shoot some tests to compare moire between 1320 and 1540 width as from what I can tell in the two previous tests this is the only real thing that was different.

Quote from: kgv5 on May 15, 2013, 09:43:15 AM
Great! We will see if there is a difference (so keep your fingers crossed). Run a benchmark ASAP

Yeah man - fingers crossed  8)

teo770

I don't know how you guys do but personaly, i have "skipped frames" in every definition
even at 1152x500 (<20MB/s)
:(

Are my sandisk cards too old ? (SD Extreme Pro 95MB/s)
You really have 0 skipped frames (1st line when recording) at all ?
My gear: CANON 6D / 40mm f2.8 STM / 20mm f2.8 / 24-105 f4 IS / Flash 90EX / Grip BG-E13

1%

Yea, some resolutions are skip free for me even at 30MB/s. I wonder if instead of fps override it would be better to skip frames for something like 60P to get a 24fps rate.

I did notice card perf drop a little after a few writes. LV_REC and raw_REC use different methods for both memory and size.

noisyboy

Quote from: 1% on May 15, 2013, 03:07:24 PM
Yea, some resolutions are skip free for me even at 30MB/s. I wonder if instead of fps override it would be better to skip frames for something like 60P to get a 24fps rate.

I did notice card perf drop a little after a few writes. LV_REC and raw_REC use different methods for both memory and size.

Speaking of fps override dude - if shooting selecting 24fps in canon menu to shoot 23.976 - do I have to use fps override to achieve true 23.976? It's just that when extracting with raw2dng I'm seeing that it it says the frame rate is 23.970. I know it's not off by much but for consistency and audio syncing etc it would be cool if I know I'm getting it right in camera to begin with.

Thank man!

Ps. Like the idea of frame skipping 60p footage. Will give it a blast!

1%

I think at 23.X its going to be 24 regardless... its kind of like a film camera there is one frame per file. I guess you could slow it down to 23.x or speed it up to 24 and it shouldn't make a difference

teo770

Good news: no skipped frame anymore in 1504x600
I forgot to set Picture quality in Canon menus ! Set it to jpeg S3

Inside or outside, only the 1st buffer * blinks, no frame drop.
I presume the 3 * represents the 3 30MB buffers ?

Know.... i'd need a minimal audio track (8bit 22 Khz ?) ! To synch audio easily with external recorder
And a timecode, start/stop recording shortcut.... etc
Will write my big list to Santa !

1%

Record wav with it and see what happens... We should have more buffers... working on it... I swear S3 lowers total memory amount tho.

teo770

Quote from: 1% on May 15, 2013, 05:16:22 PM
I swear S3 lowers total memory amount tho.
which one do you recommand ?

Veggietech

Quote from: teo770 on May 15, 2013, 05:13:25 PM
Know.... i'd need a minimal audio track (8bit 22 Khz ?) ! To synch audio easily with external recorder

Or you could sync with something visual that makes noise like a clap, no? :)

1%

I've enabled 4 buffers now for 6D :)

i'm going to try for 5 but doubt the math works out.... so you'll enjoy some longer recording I believe.

The recording is better with larger frames now.

teo770

cool ! will try it.

Actually, Wav record doesnt work with RAW recording.
For sound synch, i'm using a "cliquet" from WWII.... very little, discret, "hearable" at 1 mile ! So i need a minimal cam soundtrack...
Perhaps, with the 4th buffer we would find place for a crappy soundtrack ?

Meanwhile, i'll use my big clap :)

1%

The wav will take away writes no matter what :(

teo770

And for now image is the top priority, i agree !

noisyboy

Quote from: teo770 on May 15, 2013, 05:31:43 PM
cool ! will try it.

Actually, Wav record doesnt work with RAW recording.
For sound synch, i'm using a "cliquet" from WWII.... very little, discret, "hearable" at 1 mile ! So i need a minimal cam soundtrack...
Perhaps, with the 4th buffer we would find place for a crappy soundtrack ?

Meanwhile, i'll use my big clap :)

I knew I was onto something with my whacky "beep on first frame" idea ;)