Sequential Read :    44.069 MB/s
          Sequential Write :    11.137 MB/s
         Random Read 512KB :    39.031 MB/s
        Random Write 512KB :     7.748 MB/s
    Random Read 4KB (QD=1) :     3.368 MB/s [   822.3 IOPS]
   Random Write 4KB (QD=1) :     1.158 MB/s [   282.7 IOPS]
   Random Read 4KB (QD=32) :     3.454 MB/s [   843.3 IOPS]
  Random Write 4KB (QD=32) :     0.641 MB/s [   156.5 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [J: 0.0% (0.0/29.7 GB)] (x5)
  Date : 2013/04/13 21:12:51
    OS : Windows 7 Ultimate Edition SP1 [6.1 Build 7601] (x64)

I bought one such card (and 3 more ordered), tried to record video in ALL-I.ALL-I (normal to the native firmware 1.1.3) recording is not possible, constantly interrupted recording, a buffer overflow. I will return 3 cards ordered.

For comparison with the memory card Transend class 10 (normal, not UHS-I) 16 GB recording speed (Sequential Write) - 13-14 Mb \ s. By the way, the maximum bit rate of some of my files stored in the ALL-I - 95 Mbit / s. If we translate this into megabytes per second - 11,875. That is, card need write speed not less than 12 megabits per second.
Cameras:Canon 6D, Canon EOS 550D.
Lens: Sigma AF 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM, Sigma AF 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM, CANON EF 50 f/1.8 II, CANON EF-S 55-250 mm f/4-5.6 IS.
Sound: ZOOM H1, Prof Shotgun Uni-Directional Condenser Mic EM-320E.

DTSET123

Here is my workflow with DNGs:
Use photoshop image processor to convert your dng into jpeg. It will let you open the first image in photoshop raw where you can apply your color corrections. Then import in premiere, just select the first jpeg and check the sequence box. It will import as one move file. Then in project, right click and select "Modify"->"interpret footage" and set it to 24 fps. No need for AF.

dimes

Hello,
someone can give me a hint, where to download the old 1.1.2 firmware?
Can't find it on canon websites and also not here in the thred...

Thx! :)

Stargaterunner

Quote from: dimes on May 04, 2013, 10:53:09 AM
Hello,
someone can give me a hint, where to download the old 1.1.2 firmware?
Can't find it on canon websites and also not here in the thred...

https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads
look at the file 6d112.zip  8)
6D Photos made in Germany :-)

dimes

oscaroo

Gday.
Quick question:
- Has DotTune AFMA been fixed?
   For me it goes and invokes the horizontal level display and then beeps and says restart and try again
- Has remote shoot been fixed?
- Has format been fixed?
   It worked for a version and then it stopped working.

I'm still on the last 112 version I think. I won't upgrade till 113 unless I really have to. I like the idea of being able to set/disable the boot flag on the camera. The 'set' to override ML on bootup (at least on my current version) doesn't seem to always work.

My current ML version: autoexec.bin-LimitlessAsif

Thanks for all your efforts.

1%

Afma works for me... it runs the grid and adjusts focus. It may have been broken on 113 until focus confirmation got changed to the correct value. Should have worked in 112.

Remote shoot? LV and wifi you mean? That's fixed.

Format can't be fixed, shoot malloc doesn't have a contiguous chunk big enough. Would have to use shoot_malloc(0).
It might work off and on if you get lucky with the memory.

*tried to fix it, next build try it I guess... well its going to be 113. I have gigs and gigs on all cards so I've never used this function.

oscaroo

Okiedokie.
Thanks for the status report.

Meh at Format then, it's not that important. "Erase pictures" is good enough.

1%

Well next release you can try it, see if it did any good.

oscaroo

Gday

I'd rather not update to 113 until I can set the bootflag from on the camera.
However, my camera is going in for warranty repairs tomorrow. I'll tell Canon to NOT update the firmware. But if they ignore me, then, well .. I guess I'll try out 113.

Question: Is setting the bootflag through the camera body the same as setting the bootflag from eos card?

1%

There are 2 "boot flags" one is for the card, kind of like making your hard disk bootable. The other is in the camera which tells it to load autoexec.bin if the card is bootable.

They can upgrade it all they want, all you have to do is downgrade. Right now the procedure is to downgrade, set boot flag on the camera and then upgrade. So you can still set/unset if you have 113, just more of a pain.

Need to make a new 113 fir to avoid this but I don't have the signing stuff.

oscaroo

Ah.
I understand. Thanks 1%

kgv5

New nightly builds says:
fixed raw resolution and added footer per image file / movie sequence. Is this also available for 6D?
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

fotojohni

Based on some recent tests I can tell you that increased bit rate has a marked effect on the observed image quality.  Best way to test this is with an image with a few flat gradients and a good amount of detail particularly in the shadows.  You will see heavy macro blocking in the shadows and banding in the gradients.  This is reduced continuously as you use higher bitrates, even the difference between 100Mb/s and 200Mb/s is going to show a difference in the banding and macro blocking.

The settings that I use for my camera right now for actual shoots where I need 100% reliability is IPB: VBR: init qp = 6 (any lower and its a risk of it blowing up) max bitrate = 10.  This gives good results and has been 100% reliable thus far.

The biggest test on the encoder is to aim a something continuously moving with massive detail.  The encoder will have lots of trouble.  In low depth of field situations where one will be aiming at faces for example and other things that don't move erratically, one can easily push to qp=1 max bit rate =20 and still maintain reliability. 

In other news I've found the best picture style.  http://cinescopophilia.com/download-the-vw-158-canon-dslr-picture-styles-picture-profiles/

The CrookedPathFlat_3.0_HilightHelp.pf2 maintains excellent saturation and detail in the highlights.  It's really amazing.  I was shooting out my window on a sunny day and I had usable detail in the room and still had a blue sky outside.

noisyboy

Quote from: fotojohni on May 07, 2013, 02:26:56 AM
Based on some recent tests I can tell you that increased bit rate has a marked effect on the observed image quality.  Best way to test this is with an image with a few flat gradients and a good amount of detail particularly in the shadows.  You will see heavy macro blocking in the shadows and banding in the gradients.  This is reduced continuously as you use higher bitrates, even the difference between 100Mb/s and 200Mb/s is going to show a difference in the banding and macro blocking.

The settings that I use for my camera right now for actual shoots where I need 100% reliability is IPB: VBR: init qp = 6 (any lower and its a risk of it blowing up) max bitrate = 10.  This gives good results and has been 100% reliable thus far.

The biggest test on the encoder is to aim a something continuously moving with massive detail.  The encoder will have lots of trouble.  In low depth of field situations where one will be aiming at faces for example and other things that don't move erratically, one can easily push to qp=1 max bit rate =20 and still maintain reliability. 

In other news I've found the best picture style.  http://cinescopophilia.com/download-the-vw-158-canon-dslr-picture-styles-picture-profiles/

The CrookedPathFlat_3.0_HilightHelp.pf2 maintains excellent saturation and detail in the highlights.  It's really amazing.  I was shooting out my window on a sunny day and I had usable detail in the room and still had a blue sky outside.

Dude that was a GREAT post! Thank you :) Clean , concise and in a language I understand ;) Cheers! In return I hope to upload some ISO tests in a couple days (following a discussion in another thread with 1%) to see how much things have changed since the days of the T2i and "native" ISO's. Would be good to figure out what the "safest" maximum ISO to shoot at is.

On an entirely different note, I've never had so much enjoyment in grading DSLR footage as I have been doing with my 6D and VisionTech Picture Style (a slightly flatter version of VisionColor). These dudes really know what they are doing and have created a PP that holds onto skin tones like no other I have used! Oh and they're real nice people as well :)

noisyboy

Ps. Thanks for that link 158 Picture Styles!!! Holy Crap!!

I will most definitely check out the PP you recommend but honestly, the $6 or whatever it is for VisionColor is totally worth it and it's also now supported by FilmConvert too! Yippee :)

One thing I do wonder... Coming from a sound background, I have often wondered if it's possible to "Limit" the highlights so you could almost roll off at the top (before the image is compressed) so you could raise the gain and not clip the highlights? Wonder if this is possible with a custom curve?

fotojohni

That's basically what they are doing with the newest sensors for the Black magic.  You can adjust dynamic range in camera believe it or not.  The trade off is noise and less accurate color representation I think.  They're getting crazy DR of 20 stops now, but the latest BMC is tuned for 12 out of the box.

There's a company in the Netherlands called Cmosis that is devoted to producing only sensors.  They make all the sensors for Black Magic and Leica. They're making full frames now too, won't be long until we'll start seeing full frame cameras with crazy high DR in pocket cameras.  It's pretty much a game changer.  It would be cool if magic lantern could somehow team up and get one of those in a 6D.  Would be pretty ridiculous.

Quote from: noisyboy on May 07, 2013, 03:28:07 AM
Dude that was a GREAT post! Thank you :)

I appreciate it, I'm glad you found it useful.

Quote from: noisyboy on May 07, 2013, 03:37:05 AM
The $6 or whatever it is for VisionColor is totally worth it and it's also now supported by FilmConvert too! Yippee :)
Wow, this is impressive.  Thanks I'm going to get this.

kgv5

I have noticed some repeating problem with latest tragic lantern 6D [113] LV_REC footers.zip. No matter what I do after pressing load module it freezes my camera. After module is loaded it's working for about one second ( I mean I can go up and down in menu with blue bar) and then is out - I have to pull battery out.

1%

Did you update module + magic.sym. Its loading here.

kgv5

Ok, sorry, my mistake. MODULES dir just went to the card's root, not to ML folder. Thanks, I am such an ass...

noisyboy

Every now and then I get "scripts dir not found" on boot. Anything to worry about? Using 113 from 28/02/2013 and scripts folder lies in the root of card.

Quote from: fotojohni on May 07, 2013, 07:39:23 AM
Wow, this is impressive.  Thanks I'm going to get this.

Hope you enjoy it :) You'll might get the new CineTech PS for free too if you are lucky which is apparently based on Eastman 100T 5247 stock (cool to see Picture Styles finally being used to emulate different films stocks).

1%

Modules and scripts go in the ML folder.

Malex

Quote from: fotojohni on May 07, 2013, 02:26:56 AM
Hi, thanx for sharing your settings ^_^ , you say it's 100% reliable with your 6D but we don't know what SD card you're using, can you tell which SD card you're using and also its score with the ML benchmark please?

And thanx also for the picture styles!

Quote from: noisyboy on May 07, 2013, 03:37:05 AM
the $6 or whatever it is for VisionColor is totally worth it and it's also now supported by FilmConvert too! Yippee :)
I just got myself the Visiontech, I'll do some test with it and with Filmconvert too.

exflyer

How to video recording in DNG format at 6d  :'(
Sorry for bad english

kgv5

Quote from: exflyer on May 08, 2013, 11:22:03 AM
How to video recording in DNG format at 6d  :'(
Sorry for bad english

Hi
I assume that you are already using ML.
you need the newest tragin lantern 6D.
https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads

There is an option "silent pictures"
set to burst, press shutter halfway - camera will record DNG's.
To get the maximum number of frames (in this moment on 6D i have 63 frames) in canon menu you need to set 1280x720 60fps, pictures qulity -  no RAW, just JPEG, in ML menu set FPS override to 24 fps. With this settings you will get sequence of 63 1820x634 RAW DNG files. Than you will have to import this sequence to after effect and make some post.