Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RavingRover

Let me modify that, IF you want to focus at infinity or macro, then AF matters! 

I almost always want infinity focus, YMNC!

I agree, the M has god awful hunting dog AF via servo AF in video mode, USELESS most of the time - not worth using IMO. Shameful servo AF!! I do full manual video only.

The M2 likely has usable servo AF for video, hunting is the killer though.

feureau

Hey, 1%

Since TL is now pretty much separate from ML, can we have the 30min. video limit lifted? Please? :3

IIRC someone managed to do this a while ago, but the ML team decided to not include the solution.

walter_schulz

- Del. Don't want to disturb christmas time ... -

gary2013

Jerry, I see you have your bot fly up again. I got the dec 23 ver for the eosm. For those who do not know, the dot tune module will hang all the modules from loading. so, don't enable do tune on the eosm camera with TL.

Does anyone know why the bottom left readout for the lens says 18? I know it means 18mm for my zoom lens, but shouldn't it say 18mm instead of 18c? When using the alternative setting for full frame,  it says 29eq,  which probably means equivalent to full frame mm. I would think ff would be better meaning full frame mm. 

feureau

Quote from: gary2013 on December 24, 2013, 02:58:43 PM
Jerry, I see you have your bot fly up again. I got the dec 23 ver for the eosm. For those who do not know, the dot tune module will hang all the modules from loading. so, don't enable do tune on the eosm camera with TL.

I've never tried the dot tune for EOS-M. Does it even tune-able? Or need tuning since it's mostly contrast-detecting the phase detect? Did it hang the modules on previous versions?

jerrykil

Hey gary & feureau,
I'll re-disable dot_tune. The site is sorta working, so let me know if there is any more downtime.

EOSM is not tune-able from what I understand.

1%, hope you're feeling better!

Happy holidays and happy new year from Chicago  8)

gary2013

Quote from: feureau on December 24, 2013, 05:23:02 PM
I've never tried the dot tune for EOS-M. Does it even tune-able? Or need tuning since it's mostly contrast-detecting the phase detect? Did it hang the modules on previous versions?
I don't know what dot tune is for, but it has always kept all the modules from loading. It does display a full page of white text when this happens. I was told by Jerry and maybe someone else to just not load it since it was not needed. Or, delete it from being in the Module folder. Just by turning that one dot tune module off then allowed all the other modules to load properly. I would like to know dot tune is for and if we really need at some time.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone.  :)

gary2013

i still think something is wrong with the red box displaying temp. I always see between 72C to maybe 130C. I think it should be showing Fahrenheit. My room temp is around 68F to 70F which should be shown when I turn the camera on from being off all night in my home..

feureau

Quote from: gary2013 on December 24, 2013, 07:29:07 PM
I don't know what dot tune is for, but it has always kept all the modules from loading. It does display a full page of white text when this happens. I was told by Jerry and maybe someone else to just not load it since it was not needed. Or, delete it from being in the Module folder. Just by turning that one dot tune module off then allowed all the other modules to load properly. I would like to know dot tune is for and if we really need at some time.

Dot Tune AFMA is to tune the phase detection auto focus in regular DSLRs. EOS-M has phase detection, but it seems it's more reliant on contrast detect, and there doesn't seem to be a need for AF microfinetuning. Also, is it just me or does the EF to EF-M adapter doesn't use the phase detection?

Quote from: jerrykil on December 24, 2013, 07:21:08 PM
Hey gary & feureau,
I'll re-disable dot_tune. The site is sorta working, so let me know if there is any more downtime.

Thanks for all the hard work on the site! Appreciate it! :D

Quote from: gary2013 on December 24, 2013, 07:38:15 PM
i still think something is wrong with the red box displaying temp. I always see between 72C to maybe 130C. I think it should be showing Fahrenheit. My room temp is around 68F to 70F which should be shown when I turn the camera on from being off all night in my home..

I think the temperature is for some chip on the inside of the body not the room temp though.

gary2013

Quote from: feureau on December 25, 2013, 05:28:14 PM

I think the temperature is for some chip on the inside of the body not the room temp though.
I know that it is a temp of the internal chips. start up temp at 72C is not reasonable when it sat all night turned off and the camera was actually cold to my touch from the house temp being turned down at night. 72"F" seems reasonable. I bet they have that F and C backwards on the display end.

72C = 161.6F. Not possible at startup from being off all night, sitting in a cool temp room.

I just saw this thread below. These temps they show are reasonable and I have never see that on my EOSM as long as i have used ML since July 2013. I just now turned on my cold camera from sitting off all night and it shows 68C as soon as it turned on. 
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9673.msg93116;topicseen#msg93116

RavingRover

Dot Tune AFMA is to tune the phase detection auto focus in regular DSLRs. EOS-M has phase detection, but it seems it's more reliant on contrast detect, and there doesn't seem to be a need for AF microfinetuning. Also, is it just me or does the EF to EF-M adapter doesn't use the phase detection?

My understanding of the EOS M/650D hybrid AF is that the initial focus is PDAF (gets close and sets direction needed for CDAF focus completion), then the CDAF finishes the AF.  Whereas AFAIK, the Panasonic mirrorless AF is all CDAF.

I am sure Canon can justify their approach and maybe it has to do with backward compatibility? (I doubt) Or is it that the Canon AF system (cam h/w and lens focus mech) simply can not do that fast/no hunting CDAF like Panasonic/(4/3) can do on newer lens?

I believe micro-finetuning makes no sense on a CDAF system, only on PDAF, but I wonder if it could make AF on hybrid faster ? (ever so slightly)

My store testing of a SL100, seemed the focus as fast as I would ever want (1/4 sec?), and I believe this is the EOS M2 AF system, but NOT 1D X PDAF speed for sports/etc of course !!

jordancolburn

EOSM is back into the nightly builds for ML.  Try it out and comment on your experience and the things that you need to see fixed in order for it to be useful to you:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg93694

AlexCorona

and there doesn't seem to be a need for AF microfinetuning.

mine does, it back focuses a smudge. If I switch to MF I can get it quite a bit sharper.

vprocessing

Happy new year to all !!!
Wish you all the best for you and your picturessssssss ! 8)
Can we expect an audio monitoring with EOSM for 2014 ? ;)

feureau

Quote from: AlexCorona on January 02, 2014, 04:53:36 AM
mine does, it back focuses a smudge. If I switch to MF I can get it quite a bit sharper.

What lens are you using?

aseibold

I am super green to ML. Still trying to make it work. Downloaded several builds from Tragic Lantern, installed them with the ML confirmation screen and when I reboot, it reverts back to 2.0.2. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

maxotics

A quick note.  Loaded a version from 1/6/2014.  Looks promising!  Haven't had time to read the posts from the past few weeks.  Was able to shoot some 720p RAW and go into photo mode and take a photo. 

feureau

Does anyone know how to hide/disable the top and bottom bar in live view overlays?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58651/IMG_3988.jpg

On that pic: the one with the clock, RAW, HTP, P, ISO, AutoWB and everything. Just clean live view with only crop marks and focus peaking.

I just wanted to use focus peaking and cropmarks, but if I use Display > Clear overlays, they all disappear,

There's a few options to move the top and bottom bars to the bottom etc, but they still block parts of the image. It would be nice if we could hide them or move them to the side in 1:1 mode.

I can't use the 1:1 crop mode in the camera since ML would remove the 1:1 crop if I press half shutter, and without global draw, I can't have focus peaking.

a1ex

You are looking for this thread: www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8539

short answer: somebody should code it.

gary2013

Quote from: maxotics on January 07, 2014, 05:37:53 AM
A quick note.  Loaded a version from 1/6/2014.  Looks promising!  Haven't had time to read the posts from the past few weeks.  Was able to shoot some 720p RAW and go into photo mode and take a photo.
Hi Max, welcome back. What do you see now that you like? I have been using all the builds as they are posted both for ML and TL and I have not had any major problems.

gary2013

Quote from: aseibold on January 07, 2014, 04:31:52 AM
I am super green to ML. Still trying to make it work. Downloaded several builds from Tragic Lantern, installed them with the ML confirmation screen and when I reboot, it reverts back to 2.0.2. Not sure what I am doing wrong.
I am not sure what you mean. 2.0.2 is the Canon firmware version and that is always the same until Canon makes any new changes.

Walter Schulz

Maybe he is not aware about those two items
- ML does *not* replace Canon's firmware but runs on top of it
- To access ML menus he has to press the trashcan button first

Ciao
Walter

gary2013

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 07, 2014, 01:08:07 PM
Maybe he is not aware about those two items
- ML does *not* replace Canon's firmware but runs on top of it
- To access ML menus he has to press the trashcan button first

Ciao
Walter
I did not see a camera listed on his post. With the M, like I have, we have to always use a two finger swipe on the lcd screen to open the ML menus.

maxotics

Quote from: gary2013 on January 07, 2014, 12:59:43 PM
What do you see now that you like?
I'm just hopeful that this new push on ML for the EOS-M will result in a reliable hack that I can use.  As you know, I've been using the BMPCC and it is very reliable.  The last time I was using ML it wouldn't turn audio back on for H.264.  If I switched to photo mode without re-setting FPS the LV would get scrambled. 

Another reason I've come back is Microsoft finally gave me a date to use their Research facility in Cambridge, MA for a Video RAW meetup.  I know you're not local, but I'm hoping we can eventually either web-cast or skype people in.  Still a ways to go. 

BTW, I also spent a little with with Duncan, who bought my 50D, he showed me the latest on that camera and it is very impressive.

a1ex

Quote from: maxotics on January 07, 2014, 04:18:47 PM
I'm just hopeful that this new push on ML for the EOS-M will result in a reliable hack that I can use.  As you know, I've been using the BMPCC and it is very reliable.  The last time I was using ML it wouldn't turn audio back on for H.264.  If I switched to photo mode without re-setting FPS the LV would get scrambled.

This is unlikely without proper testing feedback and bug reports. This section feels kinda empty: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issues?version=EOS-M

Welcome to Linux Airlines. Unlike BMPCC, ML is a spare-time community project and nobody of us is developing full-time. Identifying the bugs is a very time-consuming process for us, and doesn't require any coding skills, so you can help a lot simply by documenting these issues properly.

Just so you get an idea about the complexity of software testing: imagine you have a menu with only 16 boolean items (just on/off). To cover all the combinations (e.g. check the interactions between various features and such), you would need only 65536 test cases. Increase the number of menu items to 32, and you need 4294967296 test cases to cover everything. Sure, in practice you can figure out what features are likely to interact, and only test those combinations.

These days, ML has hundreds of options in menu (if not one thousand). I'm pretty sure if somebody sits down and tries every single menu item (just one at a time, not combinations), he/she will find a bunch of bugs. It happens to me every time I get bored in the train and I start playing with the camera.