Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerrykil

its a little harder to see, but the first shot is darker. very clear difference on histogram.

a1ex

Theory: maybe Canon is looking at previous shot to adjust exposure in burst?

To confirm it, take a burst sequence starting from say 1/4 seconds. You should be able to tell the change in shutter speed from the sound (if you can't, record the sound and upload it).

Can you try something else? Enable dual ISO in raw video mode, so you should see interlaced stuff in LiveView too. If you do this, metering should be correct from the start.

This just gave me an idea for the other cameras (the DSLRs): first picture in a burst can be automatic, subsequent ones can be ETTR. I don't think it makes sense on EOS M, because the only way to meter here is from LiveView, so you can enable ETTR in M mode Always On and it effectively becomes an auto mode that plays by my rules. I also don't really know how to override shutter speed in a burst sequence yet (except for this).

feureau

Quote from: a1ex on December 07, 2013, 06:11:38 AM
Theory: maybe Canon is looking at previous shot to adjust exposure in burst?

Okay, I hope I'm doing this right.

To confirm it, take a burst sequence starting from say 1/4 seconds. You should be able to tell the change in shutter speed from the sound (if you can't, record the sound and upload it).

if I use Tv or Manual, the bug doesn't appear, so I dim the room and shot this with Av: With the 22 stm lens unscrewed, and the lens held on the mount: the first frame fired at 0.5" while the rest fires at 1/25th. There's no need to record audio, the difference in shutter sound is clearly obvious.

Can you try something else? Enable dual ISO in raw video mode, so you should see interlaced stuff in LiveView too. If you do this, metering should be correct from the start.

In movie mode, with movie auto exposure on, with DualISO and RAW video enabled, sometimes the exposure would pulse between darker and brighter exposure. Using manual lens (I used the 22stm unscrewed and held on the mount) I then hit the shutter to burst until the buffer ran out. the resulting picture would have the same shutter speed, but some frames would be at lower ISO compared to other frames.

1%

Yea it pulses the ETTR bright/dark when there is a fairly bright source.

Quotesometimes the exposure would pulse between darker and brighter exposure

I found it worked better in movie than photo. Hard to reproduce consistently.

gary2013

is there a pink dot remover for shooting raw MLV files? PDR.exe and FocusPixelFixer.exe does not accept MLV files. I still see faint pink dots in MLV extracted DNG's.

feureau

Quote from: 1% on December 08, 2013, 04:17:10 AM
Yea it pulses the ETTR bright/dark when there is a fairly bright source.

I found it worked better in movie than photo. Hard to reproduce consistently.

But.. I don't have the ETTR module loaded...

Only dualISO and Raw movie was loaded.

1%

Guess my reading comprehension has a bug? Anyway ETTR does that for me.

drchagas

a1ex

Quote from: gary2013 on December 08, 2013, 06:34:27 AM
is there a pink dot remover for shooting raw MLV files? PDR.exe and FocusPixelFixer.exe does not accept MLV files. I still see faint pink dots in MLV extracted DNG's.

There is an option for chroma smoothing in mlv_dump, I think it's --cs2x2 (not sure, didn't try it).

gary2013

Quote from: a1ex on December 08, 2013, 08:46:56 PM
There is an option for chroma smoothing in mlv_dump, I think it's --cs2x2 (not sure, didn't try it).
Alex, where can I download mlv_dump? I ran a search here but nothing came up.

a1ex

gary2013

Quote from: a1ex on December 08, 2013, 09:04:02 PM
I found it here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122.msg65821#msg65821

How did you convert the MLV files?
thgat link takes me to a post by g3ggo and it says
"here is a windows build of mlv_dump:"  But I see nothing there to download?? is it somewhere within that whole thread?

i have been using mlv2dng.exe

jerrykil

Quote from: gary2013 on December 08, 2013, 09:16:07 PM
thgat link takes me to a post by g3ggo and it says
"here is a windows build of mlv_dump:"  But I see nothing there to download?? is it somewhere within that whole thread?

i have been using mlv2dng.exe
how bout this link?
http://upload.g3gg0.de/pub_files/fb196456f6a6389763cab895fb6067f8/mlv_dump.exe

ps. the word "here" is actually the link in there. you probably just missed it

gary2013

Quote from: jerrykil on December 08, 2013, 09:44:45 PM
how bout this link?
http://upload.g3gg0.de/pub_files/fb196456f6a6389763cab895fb6067f8/mlv_dump.exe

ps. the word "here" is actually the link in there. you probably just missed it
Thanx Jerry and Alex. That link worked. What is the procedure? I just tried dropping an MLV file onto the dump file, a command window popped up for a second. Did it clean the MLV file at this point? I tried an extraction and looked at the first DNG and it still had pin dots. This MLV stuff is sort of new to me. I am trying to learn and catch up with everyone using it.

jerrykil

Quote from: gary2013 on December 08, 2013, 09:56:38 PM
Thanx Jerry and Alex. That link worked. What is the procedure? I just tried dropping an MLV file onto the dump file, a command window popped up for a second. Did it clean the MLV file at this point? I tried an extraction and looked at the first DNG and it still had pin dots. This MLV stuff is sort of new to me. I am trying to learn and catch up with everyone using it.
Quote from: a1ex on December 08, 2013, 08:46:56 PM

you'll have to use the command prompt to issue the --cs2x2 option
sorry i can't help much more than that at the moment

also, i guess i have to do some more precompile scripting to get it to compile on my mac:
9 warnings generated.
Undefined symbols for architecture i386:
  "__fseeki64", referenced from:
      _load_frame in mlv_dump-8Ru5Sr.o
      _load_index in mlv_dump-8Ru5Sr.o
      _main in mlv_dump-8Ru5Sr.o
  "_ftello64", referenced from:
      _load_frame in mlv_dump-8Ru5Sr.o
      _load_index in mlv_dump-8Ru5Sr.o
      _main in mlv_dump-8Ru5Sr.o
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture i386
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
make: *** [mlv_dump] Error 1

fixed with:
#if ($OS == Windows_NT)
//#define fseeko _fseeki64
// #define ftello ftello64
#else
#define fseeko fseeko
#define ftello ftello
#endif
gutta figure out why it thinks im on NT

why does it think i'm on Windows?

1%

double ouch... must be missing 64 bit functions that handle large files.

jerrykil

Gary and a1ex,
running mlv_dump.exe from link in wine, i'm not getting the --cs2x2 option with that i get with the latest mlv_dump built from TL nightly. ther is however a link later on here:
http://upload.g3gg0.de/pub_files/27a867063ed87d2f079cde5f8b577a88/mlv_rec.zip
which includes a nov 14th build. that one has --cs2x2 built in

jerrykil

wow i played with raw for the first time and its a lot of fun! gjob g3gg0r, cuz mlv_dump is fast and i don't see any pink anything! davinci lite is something else, also

1%

Yea, digicV doesn't have many pink frame probs.

jerrykil

i get a stack overflow free=0 used=1200 when i ttry to autofocus w/ halfpress while shooting raw in photomode. i'm guessing thats not nomal

a1ex

In what task? Have a detailed log?

It's not normal, side effects can be anything, including camera brick. I'm not joking.

gary2013

Quote from: jerrykil on December 10, 2013, 12:25:19 AM
i get a stack overflow free=0 used=1200 when i ttry to autofocus w/ halfpress while shooting raw in photomode. i'm guessing thats not nomal
I have reported in here a few times of having stack overflows. I also get a camera freeze if I try to autofocus during raw recording. Then it needs a battery pull to recover.

jordancolburn

I also got a stack overflow this morning while trying a raw test, but in video mode.  It seemed to be triggered by bouncing between h264 and RAW recording.  Battery pull fixed it.  Is there any procedure that might prevent a camera brick if we see stack overflows?

a1ex

Without a complete log there's nothing I can do. If you can get at least the task name, I can try to reproduce it on 5D3.