Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drchagas

Quote from: maxotics on November 28, 2013, 02:30:18 PMdrchagas, that looks very interesting.  the 11/09/2013 build should be in my latest starter set.  I haven't seen 1% around much lately, and don't believe the build has been changed much in a month, maybe Jerykill or 1% can weigh in here.

Cool, thanks for the reply, and thanks for your guide.

gary2013

Quote from: maxotics on November 28, 2013, 06:28:28 PM
I know g3gg0 has been putting tons of time into MLV.  I haven't tried it on the EOS-M. 

1. So is MLV stable on the EOS-M (I only tried it on my 50D)
2. What benefits does/can it give us?
1- yes, for me it has.
2- i also want to know.

Gary

1%

Really the only benefit is meta data and not having to batch exif the DNGs to have the camera name and uniquemodel.

QuoteI haven't seen 1% around much lately

On vacation so no major coding work. A1ex too.

Escaperoute

yno0o_15

Hi guys

Is ML fixed for EOS-m ver 2?

How to install ML?

Thanks and more power

gary2013

What is the purpose/reason for the ML menus to always shut off after a few seconds? Can someone please make it so it stays on as long as we want it to do so we can have the time to search through things for different settings. Or, at least make it an option in the ML preferences for users to choose whether it stays on or times out like it currently is doing.

Gary

gary2013

Jerry,
FYI, your bot fly website does not work half the time, very slow to connect when it does, and very very slow downloads that take a long time for a simple 1.6 mb zip file. Today, the Dec 01 download shows up as an empty zip file.

haomuch

The eos m 2 is out today, equipped with WIFI features. But we are still stuck with the ML alpha build here. So honestly, can we get the eye-fi  card fix for the M or make the shooting features even more usable? Such as the magic room function and the not perfect live view auto room function? We have been waiting for them for a very long time.

a1ex

QuoteThe eos m 2 is out today, equipped with WIFI features. But we are still stuck with the ML alpha build here.

So what? Nobody is forcing you to use ML, you are free to buy the EOS M2 ;)

You are also free to grab a C compiler and fix those things you are waiting for. Complaining will not help.

jerrykil

Gary,
the site is still having issues with the host. They are experiencing problems while switching to a different ISP. This is ok because the devs have been mostly vacationing. 1% has been merging some ML update and i saw raw_rec moved to single buffer, but other than a couple other fixes, not much has been done. If you'd like, i can post a nightly build to another host this afternoon.

Quote from: feureau on December 03, 2013, 06:03:47 PM
EOS-M2 is official: http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/12/canon-eos-m2-gets-official/

No Dual Pixel CMOS AF.
WTF, its not even coming to US. its the same exact camera with a couple tweaks. i gutta say i'm pretty disappointed. i still prefer EOS M1/2 to a sony simply because i can do more on my camera with ML.

Quote from: a1ex on December 03, 2013, 11:14:03 PM

You are also free to grab a C compiler and fix those things you are waiting for. Complaining will not help.

people complain but, from what i know, ML is still the most robust 3rd party firmware tweak out there. i've been having great results an a lot of fun with it. i'm not a pro, tho, just a hobby.

EDIT: my D-key has been sticky. Apologize about the typos. pls, no D-key jokes
EDIT2: I'm new to this file-sharing. This link should point to my latest build TL for EOSM
http://tinyurl.com/l7e2cry
Gary, if you're curious of what has been updated, check out https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/commits/all

gary2013

Quote from: jerrykil on December 03, 2013, 11:26:06 PM
Gary,
the site is still having issues with the host. They are experiencing problems while switching to a different ISP. This is ok because the devs have been mostly vacationing. 1% has been merging some ML update and i saw raw_rec moved to single buffer, but other than a couple other fixes, not much has been done. If you'd like, i can post a nightly build to another host this afternoon.
Hi Jerry, if there is no major fixes for the M on the nightly, then I can wait until you get your website stuff working better. Can you keep an eye on the nighties and let us know here if you think it is something really worth trying out? I am mostly interested in hopefully seeing the  headphone working, MLV progress, DNG extraction with PDR and raw shooting improvements.

I appreciate what you do here and all the devs that are making this all happen. ML is the reason I keep coming back to Canon. I keep thinking of jumping ship for the BMPCC, GH3 or the new Sony RX 10. But having ML makes the Canon stand out with usable features we all really like having available.

Gary

1%

Would be cool to try one and see whats good with it, maybe they gave it more ram...

gary2013

Curious. is the 6D doing the same raw recording as the 5dm3 using ML? 1920x1080 24fps raw continuous? And, does  the 6D have headphone out from ML? I know the 5dm3 has it built in, but I see the 6D now selling for $1600 new on Amazon.

1%

Lol, I wish.. only CF cameras can come close to 1080 resolutions... 6D has decent 720P so usable with a wide lens. Headphone works, M has a different audio chip that requires rewriting audio code. But shouldn't be too hard as the datasheet is available and I know how to send commands.

jerrykil

Quote from: gary2013 on December 04, 2013, 12:00:43 AM
Hi Jerry, if there is no major fixes for the M on the nightly, then I can wait until you get your website stuff working better. Can you keep an eye on the nighties and let us know here if you think it is something really worth trying out? I am mostly interested in hopefully seeing the  headphone working, MLV progress, DNG extraction with PDR and raw shooting improvements.

I appreciate what you do here and all the devs that are making this all happen. ML is the reason I keep coming back to Canon. I keep thinking of jumping ship for the BMPCC, GH3 or the new Sony RX 10. But having ML makes the Canon stand out with usable features we all really like having available.

Gary

100% agree. had another fun night shooting friends with my M. Its rather hard for me to make a call on what is worth testing. As the camera is alpha status, I think everything is worth testing. I posted this latest build from last nights commits because it has taken raw_rec.mo from double to a single buffer. Someone needs to try that.
jerry

gary2013

Quote from: jerrykil on December 04, 2013, 04:10:25 AM
100% agree. had another fun night shooting friends with my M. Its rather hard for me to make a call on what is worth testing. As the camera is alpha status, I think everything is worth testing. I posted this latest build from last nights commits because it has taken raw_rec.mo from double to a single buffer. Someone needs to try that.
jerry
I always download the latest everyday from bot fly and see if there is anything new and different and then just go through my normal daily usage with the M trying diff settings and things. I have the time and figure I can't lose a lot compared to screwing up a $3500 5dm3.  :) Your site is still not working. Is there some other way we can get the dailies? Can you use some free up[load site and post there and give us a password that will always work then each day? Is Dec 03 available?

gary2013

Quote from: 1% on December 04, 2013, 03:52:28 AM
Lol, I wish.. only CF cameras can come close to 1080 resolutions... 6D has decent 720P so usable with a wide lens. Headphone works, M has a different audio chip that requires rewriting audio code. But shouldn't be too hard as the datasheet is available and I know how to send commands.
I understand. I had a 6D surge go thru me today and then decided to not go that route after finding out info on it as well as your post.

haomuch

Quote from: a1ex on December 03, 2013, 11:14:03 PM

It's not complaining, it's a reasonable request. And the developer also committed to improve those features.

a1ex

Yeah, sure, just click on your user name and then "show posts", then read the forum rules.

loicremy

Quote from: gary2013 on December 02, 2013, 06:15:02 PM
What is the purpose/reason for the ML menus to always shut off after a few seconds? Can someone please make it so it stays on as long as we want it to do so we can have the time to search through things for different settings. Or, at least make it an option in the ML preferences for users to choose whether it stays on or times out like it currently is doing.

Gary

I'm also interested by this point. Is it possible to place on SD card a kind of parameter when installing ML to increase a little the 'menu timout' ?

Many thanks for all ML team !

a1ex

The timeout is from Canon, not from ML.

maxotics

Quote from: loicremy on December 04, 2013, 08:56:06 AM
Many thanks for all ML team !

I wouldn't call them a team.  Little fault of theirs.  Everyone wants different features, so each dev works on whichever feature they're also interested in.  There are two forks of ML, as far as I can see.  Until users take some responsibility for helping the devs work through what are, in the end, political issues, the EOS-M will remain an Alpha fork. 

One dev wants the other dev to put his work into the main fork.  Everyone agrees it's a good idea, but no one really takes a stand. That would create a lot of dull work for the second dev and would take away from new/fun feature dev.  It's his time.  In order for that to happen, if that should happen, users need to make sure it's somehow worth it for the devs to put time into drudgery work, or, as they say, fire up your compiler and do it yourself.

funkysound

Quote from: maxotics on December 04, 2013, 02:56:36 PM
I wouldn't call them a team.  Little fault of theirs.  Everyone wants different features, so each dev works on whichever feature they're also interested in.  There are two forks of ML, as far as I can see.  Until users take some responsibility for helping the devs work through what are, in the end, political issues, the EOS-M will remain an Alpha fork. 

One dev wants the other dev to put his work into the main fork.  Everyone agrees it's a good idea, but no one really takes a stand. That would create a lot of dull work for the second dev and would take away from new/fun feature dev.  It's his time.  In order for that to happen, if that should happen, users need to make sure it's somehow worth it for the devs to put time into drudgery work, or, as they say, fire up your compiler and do it yourself.

Mhh, maybe, but still they do a great job!
It´s not an organized commercial company and there may be too less devs around which could solve every problem for every cam every day, week or month. I do understand that every dev likes to work on what he is interested in - they work on ML just because they like to do it.
OK, sure - I would love to have a more stable ML-EOS M version too as fast as possible but remember - its for free and so I/we can´t blame anybody.
But I still wonder that the EOS M doesn´t catch more interest. From my point of few it´s the second best and interesting Canon cam behind the 5d product line. Especialy if you already own different Canon lenses.
I´m looking forward for a real EOS-M2+ next year (not just this so called "new" M2 with just wifi and a little bit better AF - nice but that´s nearly nothing)
EOS 600d, Tamron 17-50mm 2,8 with stab., Tamron 70-300mm, Canon 50mm 1:1,8, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5,6, Sigma 30mm 1,4,  EOS M with 18-55mm, 22mm and EF adapter, tons of more glases incl. FD/FL, EOS 70D, Canon 18-135mm STM