Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxotics

Quote from: gary2013 on November 02, 2013, 12:02:50 AM
What am I getting wrong? Or what in the world are the designers thinking here, killing the one and the only reason anyone would use RAW in the first place?

What the heck?

Adobe software, AFAIK, is a conglomeration of various pieces of software that often come from other companies and which are bolted on with little smart integration.  Resolve is one company.  I bet they sweat the details and make changes wherever they need in the code-base. 

The problem facing Adobe, is you have to be able to apply a filter on the frame level.   In fact, you should be able to change the "latitude" for any frame. That change would effect a lot of different routines that are applied against the video stream. 

That will take time, and would definitely be hard on your NLE hardware.  If you need that level of RAW to image conversion, you probably need to do it outside the NLE

pizza-bianca

Quote from: 1% on Yesterday at 10:58:11 PM
Wait till I write audio controls.

Wow, thanks 1%! I'll patiently wait then...

p
EOS M Version 2.0.2 firmware, EFM 18-55mm, Sandisk 32 GB, Mac OS X

gary2013

lozw

I finally got around to installing ML on my M today (having already got it on a 600D).

Thanks to everyone concerned.

A  questions.

The M won't boot if I put a card in without ML on it.  The led just rapidly blinks until I remove the battery.
This is unlike my 600D which does, which seems a simple way of disabling ML - just use a card without ML on it.

Is this just the current state of the M version, or a new 'feature'?

1%

Are you sure the card isn't bootable still after you used it for something else? Its supposed to work like 600D.

luca.vascon

Oh, my dear!!
1%
THANKYOU.
Sorry dropping in so late. I was considering to go on and buy a M to shoot videos and timelapses, having smaller, smarter camera than a 600D.
I tried to follow all plus and minus, the thing I'm asking is.. Can the camera be tethered Even with DigiCamControl? Could you add an option to trigger video or shooting in the field through usb port??
thanx so much.

1%

Stay away from the USB port, its some kind of mass storage mode, no LV and I think no controls. The best we're going to get out of it is headphone most likely.

lozw

Quote from: 1% on November 02, 2013, 06:04:21 PM
Are you sure the card isn't bootable still after you used it for something else? Its supposed to work like 600D.

Yes. That was it I think.

I had done a quick format but the camera still wouldn't start up.
So I did a full format and then it worked.
But this card had the 600D version of ML on it previously, so it seems a quick format wasn't getting rid of that.

I then tried another card that had been nowhere near ML, and that worked fine too.

1%

Yea, any version you had would have had would need the card to be bootable and full format or eoscard again takes the flag off.

gary2013

has anyone tried Ginger HDR workflow with raw DNG's?

Gary

gary2013

ML version Nov 03, I tried to playback a 10 second raw file i just shot. 1280 x 720, p23.98, 16:9. It shows a black screen and says in white text "Opened 1 chunks"  and then a  couple seconds later it says further down the display "Failed to get a free buffer, exiting". Camera freezes, battery pull to reboot. It did the same thing three times in a row with new raw files being recorded. I had Full Time Color Preview turned on. I tried a fourth time with the Color Preview turned off and i got the same problems as before.

Gary

stephen_west_usa

I am getting a Temperature of 105 - 125 C. I am guessing it is actually Fahrenheit?

I would really appreciate confirmation about this, and what is the highest safe temp?

I am running Oct 15th Tragic-Lantern and very problem free other than this.
I should mention that I also have the Black Silicone Case on the camera.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271286939215?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
Doesn't seem to make any temp range difference whether the EOS-M is wearing the case or not. It does helps the grip in the hand a great deal. I also cut some short & thin vertical grooves into the silicone case, at the middle finger grip point. That made the grip even better; but then again I already had a V shaped wax carving tool that made that modification to the case rather easy.

gary2013

Quote from: stephen_west_usa on November 06, 2013, 07:32:48 AM
I am getting a Temperature of 105 - 125 C. I am guessing it is actually Fahrenheit?

I would really appreciate confirmation about this, and what is the highest safe temp?

I am running Oct 15th Tragic-Lantern and very problem free other than this.
I should mention that I also have the Black Silicone Case on the camera.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271286939215?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
Doesn't seem to make any temp range difference whether the EOS-M is wearing the case or not. It does helps the grip in the hand a great deal. I also cut some short & thin vertical grooves into the silicone case, at the middle finger grip point. That made the grip even better; but then again I already had a V shaped wax carving tool that made that modification to the case rather easy.
I asked this same temp question before and I never heard an answer from anyone. I would think the dev who put the temp display in ML would know the answer. These temp readings seem very high. Even when I first turn the camera on when it sat all night in a cool room in my home that was maybe 65 degrees, the camera shows an instant 98-110 degrees?? This readout needs calibrating in my opinion. And the correct display of C and F. It should maybe be around 70 in F and maybe 34 in C at the first turn on.

Gary

gary2013

jerry, the nightly builds lately have been missing the raw rec module.

gary

maxotics

UPDATE: I've been able to extend g3gg0's MLV viewer to fix the pink dot issue.  Still a bunch of stuff to do.  I'm going to extend it to do the whole process in one app, open EOS-M RAW file, fix focus dots, called raw2dng, call a dng2tiff (dcraw, ufraw, etc), then ffmbc to create a 444 ProRes version.  However, that app will be calling a lot of command-line apps, like RAWanizer.

g3gg0 has just put in a temperature routine to improve coloring in the viewer.  I queried him about debayering, so if that can be brought up to snuff, we should be able to take a RAW stream straight to ffmbc without writing all those dngs and tiffs.  That's probably a way's, away. 

The bottom line is we're all getting close to EOS-M RAW to ProRes444!  Alex and 1% have also been very helpful.

gary2013

Sounds good, Max. Thank you for all your work. Also, thank you to 1%, Alex and g3gg0.

Gary

1%

Make sure you grab the amaze implementation from CR2hdr.... the problems I have with direct to video are the bad debayer... ie raw2gpcf is only good on some clips, others its full of edge problems.

gary2013

I would like to see a user option for direct  to video and a direct to DNG seq. Or whatever will give us the same ability to grade using the raw DR with 14 bits. Will a direct to tiff do that? I think I read in other forums that some apps, NLE/Color, are looking for 9 and 16 bit and thus do not accept the 14 bit DNG seq. If this is true and part of the problem, would converting to 16 bit be a solution? 

maxotics

Quote from: gary2013 on November 06, 2013, 05:57:52 PM
I would like to see a user option for direct  to video and a direct to DNG seq. Or whatever will give us the same ability to grade using the raw DR with 14 bits. Will a direct to tiff do that? I think I read in other forums that some apps, NLE/Color, are looking for 9 and 16 bit and thus do not accept the 14 bit DNG seq. If this is true and part of the problem, would converting to 16 bit be a solution?

I agree, we want options to go whole hog, DNG to TIFF, or straight to ProRes444, or other workflows in between. 

The reason I'm pushing straight to ProRes is I believe the ML would be more successful if people could quickly compare their H.264 with the ML RAW.  The DNG workflow is complex and difficult to learn.    Of course, if we didn't have the pink dot issue they could use RAWanizer straight to Cineform.

The devs are mostly interested in putting the latest cool features.  I'm all for that, obviously it is how this all got started.  But I feel ML RAW is now stable enough where someone needs to put int the time to make it a working solution for people who want to shoot, more than grade.  If that isn't done, ML will remain a hack in the domain of the few and the MLV format more fantasy than reality.

1%

QuoteOf course, if we didn't have the pink dot issue they could use RAWanizer straight to Cineform.

It wouldn't be that easy, sometimes the cineform is good enought to delete the .raw file, sometimes its really bad.

Proper debayer and dead pixel killing has to happen before encoding. Its no fun to have grown floating dead pixels when you pan around, taking them out AFTER on an encoded video doesn't seem like a good option and I don't think it will work for pro-res either.

gary2013

I agree. ProRes would be great probably most of the time over h264 for sure. I worked with ProRes for many years in Final Cut Pro and also with the RED ONE camera that recorded raw and ProRes at the same time. There are some projects that only needed a small amount of color work and ProRes looked very good and a faster workflow for final delivery. For special effects and projects that required more grading, like a full length movie, raw would be better.

I would be very happy to see ProRes 444 10 bit with 2 channel audio out of this camera. I think most people would.

Gary

stephen_west_usa

gary2013, thank you for your reply.

I had done a search of the forum and found nothing clearing up the temperature matter.

I will just push on and cross my fingers. I do have a liberal three year 3rd party warranty that might be of use down the road.

1%

QuoteI would be very happy to see ProRes 444 10 bit with 2 channel audio out of this camera. I think most people would.

Won't happen, CPU is too slow. Its why there is a dedicated H264 encoder, its not done in software.

Audio could maybe be wav to SD on 5DIII at best.

QuoteI had done a search of the forum and found nothing clearing up the temperature matter.

The temp gauge is another chip its not always right, when the cam gives the heating warning is when you have to let it cool off.

gary2013

Quote from: 1% on November 07, 2013, 04:56:40 AM
Won't happen, CPU is too slow. Its why there is a dedicated H264 encoder, its not done in software.

Audio could maybe be wav to SD on 5DIII at best.

The temp gauge is another chip its not always right, when the cam gives the heating warning is when you have to let it cool off.
LOL. That was going to be my next question about whether there was a hardware requirement that would make it not possible to do. Curious, has anyone ever gone inside the M or any Canon and ever done any hardware modding inside?

At what temp should we shut the M off? I have never found it to be hot. I have recorded non stop once to maybe 40 minutes on h264 as a test. I have been using it on and off the last hour a few times and I now have a red box showing 83 C.

stephen_west_usa

"The temp gauge is another chip its not always right, when the cam gives the heating warning is when you have to let it cool off."

So is there a specific text warning message of overheating we should be looking for before being concerned and disregard the C temp? Mine has read as high as 125 C, which did seemed ridiculous.