Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary2013

Quote from: jerrykil on October 25, 2013, 05:47:48 AM
gary,
the Oct 24 is up now with the nightly binary of mlv_rec.mo
Jerry, thank you. I have problems with this build and I hope 1% sees my post here. When I try mlv rec, after 40 frames, the screen goes black and it freezes the camera. I have to pull the battery to unfreeze and reboot. This action is repetitive. I did get normal rec raw to work and I see now we have a Little camera icons of yellow and green in the top right area.

Gary
Edit- I modified my post. My bad before. I did not scroll down further in the modules list and that was a a result of no rec raw module getting loaded.

mountain_drew

I installed the lastest version. Dual ISO seems to work (although I don't understand how to change the ISOs it uses).

Focus Peaking and magic zoom do not show up despite enabling them in the menu though (even after resetting ML settings).

mountain_drew

Nevermind, everything is back although I have no idea what I changed. Any news on the trap focus?

belmore

I feel like a beggar that has been given a free steak dinner and then has the gall, to ask for dessert. But I can't resist. I will say "Thank You! Thank You!" first at least.

One of the biggest challenges that I seem to have with shooting video is focusing. I'd like to be able to use a combination of autofocus and manual focus. The AF+MF works fine for stills, but not so much for video. I'd like to be able to use the half shutter to autofocus, but then rely on manual focus as my subject moves. You can't do that unless you're holding down on the half shutter for the entire shot. It seems ridiculous that Canon doesn't engage manual focus anytime I twist the focus ring on the lens. Is this a limitation that ML could easily overcome?

Bruce

gary2013

Quote from: belmore on October 28, 2013, 12:07:45 AM
I feel like a beggar that has been given a free steak dinner and then has the gall, to ask for dessert. But I can't resist. I will say "Thank You! Thank You!" first at least.

One of the biggest challenges that I seem to have with shooting video is focusing. I'd like to be able to use a combination of autofocus and manual focus. The AF+MF works fine for stills, but not so much for video. I'd like to be able to use the half shutter to autofocus, but then rely on manual focus as my subject moves. You can't do that unless you're holding down on the half shutter for the entire shot. It seems ridiculous that Canon doesn't engage manual focus anytime I twist the focus ring on the lens. Is this a limitation that ML could easily overcome?

Bruce
I use Af+MF in movie mode. You have to make sure that the Canon Custom Function #5 is set to#1 or #3. And, obviously, you have to have the Canon Focus Mode set to AF+MF. And, disable Movie Servo AF in the Canon menus.

Gary

belmore

gary2013

ML always turns off audio when we record raw. Wouldn't the polite thing to do is put the audio back on when going back to shoot h264?  :)

Gary

Bryannagirl

I have followed the directions made my SD card bootable - it did try and install but got message about fonts missing - install all files then a crunched text white screen, turned off and ML never loaded.  I assume because files are missing.  I copied everything over so not sure what i am missing.  Used Macboot to make sd card bootable.   Searched site and can not find anything about fonts missing as error message.  If this has been asked a hundred times I am sorry I did search an nothing is found.

Bryanna

maxotics

Where did you get your build?  There were some builds where the fonts.dat file was missing from the data folder.

1%

I think audio only comes off if you have some H264 stuff on.

maxotics

Quote from: Bryannagirl on October 30, 2013, 02:20:25 AM
I used the bottom link.  It seemed to be the right

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8825.msg82945#msg82945

get the latest build here: http://tl.bot-fly.com/tragiclantern-Tragic.2013Oct15.EOSM202.zip

I'm pretty sure I put it in that zip file I created.  If you used a different build, unzip an earlier one, look for the fonts.dat in the data folder and just copy it in there.  It should work then.

The file hasn't changed.  There is just something in Jerrykil's build process that isn't picking it up.

Bryannagirl

Ok will look and see if file is there - thanks

feureau

Made a feature request in the feature request thread, but I thought I'd xpost it here http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9097.new#new

QuoteBackbutton focus: in photo mode, you can switch the camera to MF mode, and have the movie record button function to trigger autofocus (as in half-shutter).

This is for back button auto focusing

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/backbutton_af_article.shtml

Thanks

jerrykil

Quote from: Bryannagirl on October 30, 2013, 04:57:57 AM
Ok will look and see if file is there - thanks
bryannagirl,
i've started including the ML/data/FONTS.DAT file in the more recent builds:
http://tl.bot-fly.com/tragiclantern-Tragic.2013Oct29.EOSM202.zip
is from last night

you can get the latest nightlies here
http://tl.bot-fly.com

these builds may have all sorts of problems (ie nightlies of alpha development) so if your camera locks up, its best to pull out the battery to prevent overheating and stuff.

gary2013

dot tune module is back and causing all the modules to not load and then show err. make dot tune not load and all the rest load properly.

Gary

jerrykil

Quote from: gary2013 on November 01, 2013, 12:26:03 AM
dot tune module is back and causing all the modules to not load and then show err. make dot tune not load and all the rest load properly.

Gary
once in a while i have to do 'hg up -C' which always removes all my changes. the easiest way to get around this is to delete the .mo from your modules folder. i will remove it from the modules.platform.default file for the next build tho

gary2013

Quote from: jerrykil on November 01, 2013, 02:09:18 AM
once in a while i have to do 'hg up -C' which always removes all my changes. the easiest way to get around this is to delete the .mo from your modules folder. i will remove it from the modules.platform.default file for the next build tho
thanx jerry. i was also posting this so others know what might be wrong if they get all err's on module loading.
it is good we have you here doing all of this with the updates. makes it easier for us to test out the new ones.
gary

jerrykil

pizza-bianca

AUDIO MONITORING NOT WORKING

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and also to ML, so I hope I am neither off-topic nor raising old issues.

I have installed the software today and Audio Monitoring, which to me is an important feature, does NOT work.
The A/V cable works just fine on Play (audio+video), but not on Rec (video Only).

I have downloaded one of the latest builds, in which there IS an option for Audio Monitoring,

Any suggestions?

Thanks

p

EOS M Version 2.0.2 firmware, EFM 18-55mm, Sandisk 32 GB, Mac OS X

gary2013

does anyone know if someday it could possibly be where we get the look we want in the camera, shoot raw and then use just that raw file imported into a NLE timeline and edit away? No PDR, NO extraction, No converting, No Neat Video Noise filter needed. Can all those steps be done in the camera? I keep going back and forth on this raw shooting and as we all know, it's a big PIA and very time consuming just for 10 seconds of footage. Imagine a whole movie project. The workflow now is so long to get that nice video from raw. Just wondering. And hoping.

Gary

1%

QuoteAny suggestions?

Wait till I write audio controls.

maxotics

Quote from: gary2013 on November 01, 2013, 10:27:51 PM
does anyone know if someday it could possibly be where we get the look we want in the camera, shoot raw and then use just that raw file imported into a NLE timeline and edit away?

It's theoretically possible if the NLE manufacturers wanted to write parsers.  Adobe just started support for CinemaDNG.   However, I don't see it anytime soon.

I've been working very hard on the pink dot removal stuff (PC-based).  I'm lucky in that g3gg0 has a C# project which has gotten me up and running, but not without a lot of effort.  He's too busy to help me and A1ex is way, way up river ;)

My goal remains to be able to do exactly what you want (and I want).  Take a RAW file from the camera and go straight to a high color depth codec like ProRes, Cineform RAW, DX_HD or XDcam. 

Like you, I don't want to tell it anything about the camera or resolution.  I just want the focus dots gone.

Anyway, am getting there.  Depending on my work stuff, could be a few days, could be a few more weeks. 

gary2013

Quote from: maxotics on November 01, 2013, 11:36:59 PM
It's theoretically possible if the NLE manufacturers wanted to write parsers.  Adobe just started support for CinemaDNG.   However, I don't see it anytime soon.

I've been working very hard on the pink dot removal stuff (PC-based).  I'm lucky in that g3gg0 has a C# project which has gotten me up and running, but not without a lot of effort.  He's too busy to help me and A1ex is way, way up river ;)

My goal remains to be able to do exactly what you want (and I want).  Take a RAW file from the camera and go straight to a high color depth codec like ProRes, Cineform RAW, DX_HD or XDcam. 

Like you, I don't want to tell it anything about the camera or resolution.  I just want the focus dots gone.

Anyway, am getting there.  Depending on my work stuff, could be a few days, could be a few more weeks.
The adobe update yesterday was a big flop for DNG. They hyped it in Sept and now we all saw that they really did not give us what we expected. They are changing the DNG on import and we lose the ability to tweak and grade with the original raw 14 bit. After the adobe import, we cannot recover from highlights and shadows like we can with raw. Many of us on the COW forum complained and finally adobe said it was a continuing development and maybe later it will be what it should have been yesterday. They also took out the ACR in AE. A big bummer from Adobe after waiting impatiently for so long.

what i want is to edit the raw file like people do now with the RED raw files. I want to be able to color grade from the original 14 bit raw and not from an intermediate codec. The codec will bake in what is currently there and reduce the bits to 8 or 10. It will not give us the ability to do the best grading with the 14 bit raw. Maybe an edit session with intermediate but then relink the original raw after the edit for a final grade process. Your way is also good, too for those that want that workflow.

Keep up the good work, Max. I know it's not easy. also, big thanks to g3gg0.

Gary
edit- here is what the COW thread started out with and there is more.

Per Holmes   PP 7.1 CinemaDNG forced to video levels?
by Per Holmes on Oct 31, 2013 at 6:11:17 pm

Hi,

I just got the new Premiere Pro 7.1, and excitedly started testing the CinemaDNG workflow, and I've hit a massive wall. It appears that Premiere Pro uses only part of the latitude of the RAW format, there's apparently no way to change it, and it's apparently suddenly impossible to access the full tonal range of RAW, even with Speedgrade or After Effects.

As an example, I have some footage with burnt out clouds. If I open a DNG image in Photoshop or After Effects, I can edit the exposure upon import, and bring back all the latitude on the clouds. That's the whole point of using RAW.

In Premiere Pro, CinemaDNG seems cropped to video levels, and I can't bring back any information in the highlights. I simply turn down blotchy over-exposed highlights.

If I take the sequence over into SpeedGrade, it's the same. I'm not able to pull any information out of the clouds, only reduce the brightness of already blotchy over-exposed clouds.

If this really is designed this way, what the heck is the point? The ONLY, I feel I can safely repeat, ONLY reason to shoot RAW is to be able to access the full tonal range of the image. But Premiere Pro seems to crop the latitude range to a video range.

But then there's no point in shooting CinemaDNG, and not simply shoot ProRes.

What am I getting wrong? Or what in the world are the designers thinking here, killing the one and the only reason anyone would use RAW in the first place?

Further, it appears that it's not even possible to "upgrade" to full CinemaDNG. If you've imported CinemaDNG in Premiere Pro, the manual says that the clip will be locked to that tonal range, even as you bring it over into SpeedGrade, which I've confirmed.

I can't figure it out. If this is true, CinemaDNG playback is an completely pointless non-feature.

What the heck?

Per