Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

feureau

That's not too bad. The same with 5DIII, I suppose. ... can we force it to register higher isos? I heard the 'native' iso is only up to 3200 though (and 1600 on x00D class body)

I've been consistently getting an extra +3 EV according to cr2hdr, though it registers EOSM as having only 10 stops of DR. IIRC DXO measured 5DIII at, what 11.5?

1%

5DII has a real 128K.. 6D has a real 6400, its only down hill from there. I could try forcing some extra ISO but dunno what that will do.

jerrykil

go ahead, blow up my camera. i've already got some in my piggy bank for eosm2 :P

1%

Probably wouldn't blow up, just wouldn't have any effect.

enricobartolucci

Quote from: blablabla32 on October 18, 2013, 03:46:34 PM
HI all!

My EOS M 2.0.2 just arrived today. Anyway, I have to go shooting at a conert in view hours and would like to use the eos m as a static second cam.

Was reading this thread - but did not really got the info I needed. What is the best build for now, lets say the most stable? I am also very confused with two versions tragiclatern and magiclatern ? They have both versions for my eos m 2.0.2 . What is the difference... And is this install instruction still correct? => 

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3648.msg64830#msg64830

Thank you guys!

Andre

@enricobartolucci : nice setup of you cam. What viewfinder and handle did you use?

@blablabla32 : the hand grip is an old one I had at home with a 1/4 thread; these are very easy to find on ebay, the one I have is very simple but nice since it has a thread on the bottom too, so you can screw a small tripod as you can see on the picture. but you can go for some fancier stuff like this one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HASSELBLAD-LEFT-HANDED-GRIP-/171152037683?pt=US_Camera_Straps_Hand_Grips&hash=item27d974d733

the viewfinder is a VERY cheap item you find on ebay - the only available viewfinder for the M as for now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-8x-Viewfinder-3-LCD-V6-Extender-Magnifier-for-Canon-EOS-M-Mirrorless-US695-/221302596852?pt=US_Viewfinders_Eyecups&hash=item3386a9a4f4

it costs like 15 dollars and it is surprisingly well effective - well, for the price of course, but I am not disappointed, it's not a waste of money.
I am looking for a better one, though, and it looks like the best viable option should be the carryspeed VF3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQLM2mL9PPE

they just updated it to the VF4,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8ifuZK2o-U

which seems to be about the same but more expensive, so the 3 might be an intersting deal right now. I haven't seen it mounted on the M, so there is a possibility that it won't fit, but it really seems like it should fit perfectly - and the interesting thing is that you'll have access to the touchscreen without unmounting the viewfinder.

voilĂ , that's it ; if you're interested I can make a post about the audio gear, I've been making quite a lot of experimenting to find a system well suited for my needs and I'd be happy to share my experience with the community of M users - and of course, our heroic developers !

feureau

Quote from: 1% on October 22, 2013, 12:27:26 AM
5DII has a real 128K.. 6D has a real 6400, its only down hill from there. I could try forcing some extra ISO but dunno what that will do.

Do you know how high the 7D goes?

Quote from: 1% on October 22, 2013, 01:06:22 AM
Probably wouldn't blow up, just wouldn't have any effect.

Can't hurt to try. :3

1%

7D goes to ISO 3200. 5DII + 50D are only 1600.

gary2013

Oct 23 version on bot fly does not have the modules loaded in the ML folder.
Gary

gary2013

is there some way in post production where i can see what picture style was used when I shot raw footage? The raw file or the extracted dng seq? how about the same for normal H.264 footage.

Gary

maxotics

"Picture Style" is a human-friendly name for various compression settings.  In RAW, there is no compression, it is straight from the sensor; therefore, those settings don't do anything.

gary2013

Quote from: maxotics on October 24, 2013, 03:00:10 PM
"Picture Style" is a human-friendly name for various compression settings.  In RAW, there is no compression, it is straight from the sensor; therefore, those settings don't do anything.
I am talking about the User Picture Styles we load thru USB to the camera. like Cinestyle, Flaat 10, Marvels and so on.
Also, all the Canon presets like Neutral, Faithful and the rest. I have a lot of tests I have made since getting this camera and I would like know now what Picture Style was used when I shot the footage. 

Gary

maxotics

@Gary.  Seems reasonable :) 

gary2013

I would think it would be in Metadata. I have looked through them all and I do not see anything about Picture Style. I have seen lenses used as a category, along with all the usual things like frame rate, codec, etc. . I was wondering if ML can make something that allows us what info gets stored in metadata. We have the ability to select a pic style, so it does have some connection there. Can we get it to be stored in metadata like the other info? The pic file is also displayed at the top of the ML menu to the left of the temperature display.

Gary

Malakai

If you open raw images in canons Digital Photo Professional click the image and press Ctrl + I (on a windows machine) it will show you all the details attached to the raw image. Including the Picture Style you had chosen when the image was taken. You can also see this if you have the tool window open. Under the RAW tab below white balance adjustment.
Hunting for that elusive EOS M shutterbug!!

1%

MLV records this for raw, for H264 there is movie log but haven't tested it.

gary2013

Quote from: Malakai on October 24, 2013, 05:51:44 PM
If you open raw images in canons Digital Photo Professional click the image and press Ctrl + I (on a windows machine) it will show you all the details attached to the raw image. Including the Picture Style you had chosen when the image was taken. You can also see this if you have the tool window open. Under the RAW tab below white balance adjustment.
I cannot get it to work with raw video clips or the extricated DNG files. It does work with picture raw.

Gary

gary2013

Quote from: 1% on October 24, 2013, 05:54:07 PM
MLV records this for raw, for H264 there is movie log but haven't tested it.
Can we record MLV on the M now? I think we had it for awhile and I remember a little discussion on it and you said it was no better for us to use. So I stopped looking at MLV.

Gary

1%

Try it, it got a rewrite.

Chief problem with MLV (for me) is the lack of batch tools. I don't usually need the meta data but thats why you can choose either one.

gary2013

Quote from: 1% on October 24, 2013, 07:33:57 PM
Try it, it got a rewrite.

Chief problem with MLV (for me) is the lack of batch tools. I don't usually need the meta data but thats why you can choose either one.
I understand. Thank you. I typically do not need/use metadata. Are there any benefits to MLV? Why is it being developed?

Gary
1%, your time is valuable. You can disregard my post since I can more easily spend some time in the forums and get my answers. I appreciate all the hard work you are doing for us.

jerrykil

gary, i fixed the Oct 23rd build, but i'm not sure if it includes the mlv module. if you can't get a hold of it, then i'll try to build it later tonight.

1%, batch tools, eh? thats something us laymen can contribute

maxotics

Quote from: gary2013 on October 24, 2013, 07:47:53 PM
I understand. Thank you. I typically do not need/use metadata. Are there any benefits to MLV? Why is it being developed?

You can read about the MLV format here:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122.0

Some background.  When RAW is recorded, the devs get the camera to dump RAW frames to the memory card as soon as you hit record.  At the end of the frames, they write a footer with width/height, frame size, and a small amount of other data. 

As you know, when you take a photo the camera saves a lot of EXIF information with the file.  Camera, f-stop, shutter, ISO, etc.

MLV does for RAW what EXIF does for photos.  You can put a lot of information there that would work with post-processing workflow to make your life easier.

gary2013

Jerry, thanx. I was going to look thru ur archives for some version that has mlv, like in sept, cus I only kept the last week's worth of versions. I would like to try and see what mlv might do. I am bored now since I don't have the shutter bug and I know the max I will get is 720p in raw with no audio. LOL I know I can get a higher rez in raw, but not 16:9. Does everyone feel, including 1%, that this will be the most this cam will ever do in raw? Is there some way even remotely possible it could 1920x1080p24 raw?

Max, thanx for the info. To me, easier would be going direct with a raw video to the timeline with a good first grade already done, one step, so I can edit and then maybe do some additional grading (using the raw 14 bit DR) only on what makes the final edit.  :) I am sure that won't happen.........yet.

One thing that is hurting is the long time required to get all the raw video to been seen and then edit. A large amount of time can be wasted with PDR, extracting to dng and converting to tif just to edit and then not use a lot of it for the final edit. RED raw can now to straight to edit or even use one of the proxies the cameras records for an offline edit.and then relink to the full raw footage with the final edit determined. The point I am trying to make is that I am again wondering if it is worth all the trouble to shoot raw with the M. If the devs could figure out a way to go straight to proress or cineform (10 bit 4:2:2), that would be a hell of a lot better than the current H.264.

Gary

maxotics

Hi Gary,

I have calculated the maximum the EOS-M can do,  you can see it in my shooter's guide: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8825.msg82948#msg82948  The short answer some pixel count equiv of 1280x720 24fps is max for camera. 

Yes, I want the same thing, EOS-M RAW straight to high-color ProRes (or equiv).  Unfortunately, PDR is in Java, so could never be a stand-alone Win app (which I ultimately want).  It also has other problems I've gone on about ad nausea.

There are only two devs I know (there may be more, I just don't know them) who can do this work, Alex or g3gg0.  As you know, they have their hands full so I don't want to bug them about doing it.  So if I want it done soon, I have to try to do it myself.  Fortunately, g3ggo did the MLV viewer in C#, so I can borrow a lot of those techniques.  Even so, RAW image data is a crusher.  Every other day I quite this project.  I'm not sure if I'll ever reach competency.  If I do, I'll ask for help.  For now, I worry that if they helped I'd just waste their time because I wouldn't be able to complete it, for many reasons.  Next to some encryption work I did, this is by far the hardest stuff I've tried to do.  What most people probably don't realize is "hacking" the camera is the least of it (I see).  There's a long list of technical hurdles between getting the image data and making it useful. 

Because video data brings CPUs to their knees in the best of circumstances, they can't use many native components.  They must pull all kinds of fancy C tricks. 

Anyway, I'm slowly getting there.  Being 52 is really slowing me down.  C was never my language.  (if I say what language the devs will never give me any cred). 

I've been able to pull and parse footer data from the RAW file.  I've been able to load a frame into the image control.  I'm working on getting a non de-bayered image into a form I can interpolate the pixels with.  Right now, I just get a black screen.  If I can get over this last thing I should be able to pick up steam.

How could MLV be useful?  Well, if I have a 1280x720 image I don't know if it's normal or cropped.  So I'd manually have to pick the PDR method.  With MLV the software could pick it based on the MLV tag.  If ISO were in MLV, it could call Alex's chroma smoothing routines.  All kinds of stuff downstream.

I'm still stuck on 2nd base.

EDIT: a beer and answering your post did it Gary.  I'm very very close to get a non-bayered image to work with....

gary2013

Quote from: maxotics on October 25, 2013, 01:35:23 AM

EDIT: a beer and answering your post did it Gary.  I'm very very close to get a non-bayered image to work with....
LOL, ok, whatever works, pal. And 52 is nothing. I just turned 63, I am always told I look like I am 43 and think in my head I am still 23, but I feel like I am 83.  :(

I know there is a hardware limit and I was hoping there were some software tricks to achieve more.

Gary

jerrykil

gary,
the Oct 24 is up now with the nightly binary of mlv_rec.mo