Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary2013

My situation was that you start with Oct 12th loaded and that you HAVE the shutter bug. Then I went form there as I explained. Anyone who has the bug with Oct 12th loaded (probably any version) should try what I did with replacing the autoexec with the minimal autoexec and all the steps I made after that so we can see if more people experience what I have done. I still have no bug cus I have not loaded any modules yet.

Gary

maxotics

I started with the Oct 12th build and couldn't get the shutter bug on the 18-55mm camera.  It only freezes when I did the above. What are your settings at start up?  Gary see if you get the same freeze I do.  We want bugs that are reproducible on everyone's camera.  Right?

Just tried same on Class 10 card.  Same thing.  No bug, changed many settings.  Camera of on.  Freeze when shutter press in movie mode in auto focus as above.

gary2013

Quote from: maxotics on October 14, 2013, 05:44:16 AM
I started with the Oct 12th build and couldn't get the shutter bug on the 18-55mm camera.  It only freezes when I did the above. What are your settings at start up?  Gary see if you get the same freeze I do.  We want bugs that are reproducible on everyone's camera.  Right?

Just tried same on Class 10 card.  Same thing.  No bug, changed many settings.  Camera of on.  Freeze when shutter press in movie mode in auto focus as above.
I do not get the freezes and sluggishness you say you have. I have had freezes in the past that only happened when I tried pushing some button while it was recording raw. I do not remember exactly. I had to pull battery to get out of the freeze. It maybe happened to me three times over the last three months. If it does happen again in the future, I will need to write down or post here right after it happens.

I am going to hold off loading any modules so as to keep the bug off my camera until I hear from 1% and Alex about this. Maybe they will want me to try loading a certain module to see what happens.

Gary

jerrykil

Quote from: gary2013 on October 14, 2013, 03:26:42 AM
I am using Oct 12th ver and I have the shutter bug. I replaced the autoexec with the minimal autoexec and the shutter bug was still there.
i lose the bug when i boot the minimal .bin
i've rebooted about 20 times, sometimes pulling battery between power cycles. i notice that canons FW/minimal build FW never does the second orange blink light like ML does. anyway, i wasn't able to get the shutter bug. usually about 5 reboots will get me a shutter bug. this is why i was skeptical when people reported having the shutterbug with the minimal .bin. makes it harder when everyones cameras act different, too
Quote from: gary2013 on October 14, 2013, 03:26:42 AM
I deleted the ML folder and the fir file and rebooted. the bug was still there. i did a Canon format and did not tap the scree to leave the ML files on disk. I rebooted and the bug was gone. I copy pasted Oct 12th ver files and the bug is gone. BUT, there are no modules loaded. I held off loading any modules to get some feedback on this. I would bet that if IU load some modules, the bug will come back. What do you think? which module(s) do you think have the bug? Because I don't have the bug right now with Oct 12th ver loaded (minus the modules).
seems pointless to do the rest for me since if the minimal bin has no bugs then why would the stock FW?

Gary, i suggest getting the shutter bug, and then following your own procedure one more time to see if its reproducible...

edit: so i formatted my card, did the card utility, put oct12th on the clean card, didn't have the bug for like 12 boot cycles and then i guess i uncleanly shut down and restarted the camera and i couldn't shoot

gary2013

Quote from: jerrykil on October 14, 2013, 06:12:06 AM
i lose the bug when i boot the minimal .bin
i've rebooted about 20 times, sometimes pulling battery between power cycles. i notice that canons FW/minimal build FW never does the second orange blink light like ML does. anyway, i wasn't able to get the shutter bug. usually about 5 reboots will get me a shutter bug. this is why i was skeptical when people reported having the shutterbug with the minimal .bin. makes it harder when everyones cameras act different, tooseems pointless to do the rest for me since if the minimal bin has no bugs then why would the stock FW?

Gary, i suggest getting the shutter bug, and then following your own procedure one more time to see if its reproducible...
One thing I did not do was pull the battery during all of my steps. And I always leave the bootflag on. If you have no bug with minimal autoexec, do you still have no bug when you install Oct 12th ver after that and do not load any modules? If you load all the modules, do you still not have the bug or do you.

Gary

WiGgLr

I am still on the rootwang version from a while back.

I've been to a wedding, 2 family get together, 2 toddler birthday parties, and I'm now on holiday. All through that time I have mainly been using the 18-55mm, occasionally swapping to the 22mm. I only take photos, I have never tried to record video.

I'm yet to see the shutter bug.

enricobartolucci

hello everybody
once again, I'd like to give  the point of view of a professional videomaker on the porting of ML on the EOS M, hoping it will be useful to our valiant developers.
first of all, thanks to you all for your work, since the M powered with ML is potentially, in my opinion, the best HD video option on the market for canon lens owners, for a ridiculous price.

so, let's get to the point

1 FOCUS PEAKING
it works, it is usable, but I find it much more effective and easy to use on my mark II than on the M, is that normal? is there something you can do about it? this is my (and I think, all filmmaker's) first concern about the M.

2 SHUTTERBUG
in my opinion, not a priority. if you shoot video (and this is what ML is all about, isn't it?) you couldn't care less about this. M mount lenses have unpractical focus rings and are not so interesting for video, (especially the 18-55, not fast enough and without constant aperture, which makes it in real use an f5.6 lens...).
I personally shoot with my old nikon AIS lenses, which found new life after a ten years' sleep in a box. EOS M, EF adapter, nikon/canon ring and a set of old manual lenses which I modify so that I have a clickless aperture ring. a handle, a viewfinder and you have a digital bolex on a shoestring.

3 RAW !!!
well, I understand the technical interest of the thing, but let's look at the facts: if you shoot raw, your workflow is time-consuming, cumbersome, labour-intensive and then extremely expensive. if you have this kind of budget, you will not shoot with an EOS M.
the real game-changer would be PRORES, but I guess that is not possible, is it?

here'a link to a few pictures of the camera in my bolex-like setting, without any audio gear attached

http://www.enricobartolucci.fr/ESPACE+CLIENTS/MISC/eos+m

jerrykil

Quote from: enricobartolucci on October 16, 2013, 11:57:43 AM
1 FOCUS PEAKING
it works, it is usable, but I find it much more effective and easy to use on my mark II than on the M, is that normal? is there something you can do about it? this is my (and I think, all filmmaker's) first concern about the M.
here'a link to a few pictures of the camera in my bolex-like setting, without any audio gear attached

http://www.enricobartolucci.fr/ESPACE+CLIENTS/MISC/eos+m

That is so cool!
I'd just like to note that there are two modes of peaking right now. Have you tried both? One uses the DIGIC processor (in the Display menu) and is easier on the CPU+battery and the other is in the Overlay menu.

funkysound

Quote from: enricobartolucci on October 16, 2013, 11:57:43 AM

1 FOCUS PEAKING

2 SHUTTERBUG
in my opinion, not a priority. if you shoot video (and this is what ML is all about, isn't it?) you couldn't care less about this. M mount lenses have unpractical focus rings and are not so interesting for video, (especially the 18-55, not fast enough and without constant aperture, which makes it in real use an f5.6 lens...).
I personally shoot with my old nikon AIS lenses, which found new life after a ten years' sleep in a box. EOS M, EF adapter, nikon/canon ring and a set of old manual lenses which I modify so that I have a clickless aperture ring. a handle, a viewfinder and you have a digital bolex on a shoestring.

3 RAW !!!
well, I understand the technical interest of the thing, but let's look at the facts: if you shoot raw, your workflow is time-consuming, cumbersome, labour-intensive and then extremely expensive. if you have this kind of budget, you will not shoot with an EOS M.
the real game-changer would be PRORES, but I guess that is not possible, is it?

Actualy I don´t agree with point 1+2.
I´m using the M for professional video work too and I´m using the 18-55 more often than any other lens with the M. It depens on what you film under what light conditions.
Because the M is so small its perfect for putting it anywhere as the second cam like many people do with a gopro for example. Or let´s say if you do an interview and you need more choices for editing. Place the cam beside, zoom in until the picture fits and be ready for action in a few seconds.
Also if you have to be fast and flexible while filming on the go. It´s very usefull to use the 18-55 under those conditions because you don´t have a fisheye effekt (gopro in example 1), its small, light and doesn´t look professional which helpes some times with getting pictures you won´t get with big cams. Its because people change their behavior if they feel beeing filmed by professionals.
18-55 combined with the crop mode gives you a big range and makes it possible too to place yourself somewere in a corner and still make close ups without beeing noticed - perfect for documentary use. And so on ...
To say it short - there are tons of situations were the 18-55 could be a good choice to use - if there is no shutter bug!

For me there is nothing wrong with the focus peaking. I use it all the time and it works perfect for me (the overlay one) together with zebra in any situation. If I do "real" filming like image films (with other lenses than the 18-55 or also other cams) or other work as mentioned before.
So, I´m pleased with it.
EOS 600d, Tamron 17-50mm 2,8 with stab., Tamron 70-300mm, Canon 50mm 1:1,8, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5,6, Sigma 30mm 1,4,  EOS M with 18-55mm, 22mm and EF adapter, tons of more glases incl. FD/FL, EOS 70D, Canon 18-135mm STM

enricobartolucci

Quote from: funkysound on October 16, 2013, 02:41:28 PM
I´m using the M for professional video work too and I´m using the 18-55 more often than any other lens with the M. It depens on what you film under what light conditions.
Because the M is so small its perfect for putting it anywhere as the second cam like many people do with a gopro for example. Or let´s say if you do an interview and you need more choices for editing. Place the cam beside, zoom in until the picture fits and be ready for action in a few seconds.
Also if you have to be fast and flexible while filming on the go. It´s very usefull to use the 18-55 under those conditions because you don´t have a fisheye effekt (gopro in example 1), its small, light and doesn´t look professional which helpes some times with getting pictures you won´t get with big cams. Its because people change their behavior if they feel beeing filmed by professionals.
18-55 combined with the crop mode gives you a big range and makes it possible too to place yourself somewere in a corner and still make close ups without beeing noticed - perfect for documentary use. And so on ...
To say it short - there are tons of situations were the 18-55 could be a good choice to use - if there is no shutter bug!

For me there is nothing wrong with the focus peaking. I use it all the time and it works perfect for me (the overlay one) together with zebra in any situation. If I do "real" filming like image films (with other lenses than the 18-55 or also other cams) or other work as mentioned before.
So, I´m pleased with it.

Yes, focus peaking works, but it works better on the mark II, even though the screen is bigger and better on the M. I often find myself guessing about the focus with the M, but maybe it's just me...
concerning the 18-55, there's no point in starting a thread about lenses; of course the shutterbug is an issue, I'm just saying that as far as video work is concerned, the shutterbug isn't really the most appalling problem.

gary2013

Quote from: funkysound on October 16, 2013, 02:41:28 PM

So, I´m pleased with it.
ditto, I don't agree with anything he said. I am a professional and when I shoot video, I also shoot pics. If nothing is moving in a shot, then shoot a pic. That way you get a huge high rez, raw pic you can pan and zoom in on with no loss in quality for an HD 1080p project. Such as an outside of a building or a sign on a building for establishing shots. And B roll shots.

Gary

jerrykil

do u guys use raw or do you adjust the bitrate?

funkysound

Quote from: jerrykil on October 16, 2013, 04:18:07 PM
do u guys use raw or do you adjust the bitrate?

No I didn´t use both of them till now. I never really tried because there was no time - so this may change in the future. But I guess its too time consuming for use in daily business with the M.
I would prefere the 5d mark 3 for raw video. But still it´s good to have these options on the M too because you never know whats happening and most people do not have a 5d.
EOS 600d, Tamron 17-50mm 2,8 with stab., Tamron 70-300mm, Canon 50mm 1:1,8, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5,6, Sigma 30mm 1,4,  EOS M with 18-55mm, 22mm and EF adapter, tons of more glases incl. FD/FL, EOS 70D, Canon 18-135mm STM

jerrykil

maxotics and mac users,

I've made a couple scripts

1: http://tl.bot-fly.com/misc/kit_hdrvideo.zip
This one converts HDR videos to avi's with ffmpeg and enfuse on mac os! you shouldn't need anything but this zip and a bunch of alternating ISO HDR clips. Everything runs in parallel, including enfuse, so this is pretty useful

2: http://tl.bot-fly.com/misc/kit_cr2hdr.zip
This one just includes the latest and greatest cr2hdr with dcraw and exiftool. I also threw in a script that allows you to drag multiple files into the terminal window to convert them from dual_iso to those purdy 14bit DNG files.

If you like these let me know. I could work on a raw movie script next...

feureau

Thanks jerrykil

Any chance for windows version?

Btw, @1% this is more of a feature request but it's specific to the EOS-M, so I'll just put it here, I guess: Is it possible to have full time manual for EF-M lenses on the eos-m? By default, you can only manually focus EF-M lenses if the camera is set to manual focus, or that other option when AF fails and you keep pushing half shutter and focus the lens. So is it possible to have it set so that every time you just grab the focusing ring, it overrides the setting and just manual focus the lens?

jerrykil

1%

There is also an AF+MF option, assuming this is for FTM lenses.

FTM in auto is broken in ML too, zoom on focus ring is disabled when in AF, it used to not be... guess nobody has FTM?

maxotics

Thanks Jerykil! I'm Windows, but I put your links in my Shooter's guide.  Anything else you think I should put there, please let me know.  Still under construction...

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8825.msg82944#msg82944

Escaperoute

Please Jerrykill, can you make a Windows version, i can't afford a Mac.

jerrykil

Quote from: Escaperoute on October 18, 2013, 07:36:12 AM
Please Jerrykill, can you make a Windows version, i can't afford a Mac.

sure, but it'll take me a while! i was thinking of implementing a GUI via platypus.app for mac, is there an alternative for windows to make an easy GUI for a script?

feureau

Quote from: jerrykil on October 17, 2013, 09:24:52 PM
do you have cr2hdr.exe?

yeah. You can get a copy from the official thread.

Quote from: 1% on October 17, 2013, 11:12:32 PM
There is also an AF+MF option, assuming this is for FTM lenses.

FTM in auto is broken in ML too, zoom on focus ring is disabled when in AF, it used to not be... guess nobody has FTM?

The AF+MF option only allows MF only when AF has failed. Otherwise, every time you press half shutter, it will AF. Maybe add an option to disable AF when pressing half-shutter and assigning AF to some other button for back button AF? (trash button or something)

vprocessing

Hi to all !
I've received my analog video out cable...
I've managed to plug it keeping the video monitoring on the camera but the sounds seems not to go out... ?
Did I missed something ? Is the function working ?
I'm on [EOSM]FullbackADTGui
Now the intervalometer seems to work for me !
I don't have so much time to spend those times on magic lantern but the 2 lasts times I used my "M" I got the "warming or out of memory" canon warning that causes the stop of the recording...Last time was good !
It seems that without module unload and video hacks off it is better ... I'm not sure it is really the cause.
As I'm on a 95mb UHS I Sandisk where do you think it is coming from ?
THX !
.V

funkysound

Quote from: jerrykil on October 16, 2013, 08:10:24 PM
maxotics and mac users,

I've made a couple scripts

1: http://tl.bot-fly.com/misc/kit_hdrvideo.zip
This one converts HDR videos to avi's with ffmpeg and enfuse on mac os! you shouldn't need anything but this zip and a bunch of alternating ISO HDR clips. Everything runs in parallel, including enfuse, so this is pretty useful

If you like these let me know. I could work on a raw movie script next...

Hi jerrykil - I just tried it and it works great!
In germany we use PAL 25fps and I realized that the video comes out with around 30 fps NTSC. Is there an easy way for you to make a PAL version?

blablabla32

HI all!

My EOS M 2.0.2 just arrived today. Anyway, I have to go shooting at a conert in view hours and would like to use the eos m as a static second cam.

Was reading this thread - but did not really got the info I needed. What is the best build for now, lets say the most stable? I am also very confused with two versions tragiclatern and magiclatern ? They have both versions for my eos m 2.0.2 . What is the difference... And is this install instruction still correct? => 

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3648.msg64830#msg64830

Thank you guys!

Andre

@enricobartolucci : nice setup of you cam. What viewfinder and handle did you use?