Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxotics

Quote from: gary2013 on October 09, 2013, 09:56:30 PM
How are you getting 7.9 GB??

You'd have to ask 1% :)  I'm running the October 8th build from Jerrykil's site.  From my end, card is exFAT, 4096 block size. 8GB

gary2013

Quote from: maxotics on October 09, 2013, 09:59:06 PM
You'd have to ask 1% :)  I'm running the October 8th build from Jerrykil's site.  From my end, card is exFAT, 4096 block size. 8GB
I assumed 1% is reading all this with his replies to you. How do you get an exfat on your card? I formatted as exfat and the canon formatted it like usual. It goes back to fat 32 like I have been saying in my posts before. did you use eoscard on your card?

Gary

maxotics

EOScard utility won't change the format of the card, only put the hidden boot files on, AFAIK.  The utility does seem to recognize if card is FAT32 or exFAT.

What I do is format card in camera, copy empty DCIM, MISC folders to a folder I create for each build, in this casel Build20131008.  I also put in the ML and autoexec.bin file from the latest build. 

I then formatted card on PC, picking exFAT and block sizes of 4096.
I then EOSCard the card (checking boot and develop)
(there might be a way to stop EOScard from putting on ML, but I don't know, anyway, I just delete everything from card after EOScard does its thing)
I then copy all the files from Build20131008 to the empty card (though there are hidden files on it from EOScard I assume).
I then put card in camera and start.

gary2013

Thanx Max. I am still waiting on answers for some of my other questions. Like Record Restart and why it doesn't show 24 fps and only 30 fps. maybe 1% went out for dinner.

Gary

gary2013

Quote from: maxotics on October 09, 2013, 10:09:30 PM
EOScard utility won't change the format of the card, only put the hidden boot files on, AFAIK.  The utility does seem to recognize if card is FAT32 or exFAT.

What I do is format card in camera, copy empty DCIM, MISC folders to a folder I create for each build, in this casel Build20131008.  I also put in the ML and autoexec.bin file from the latest build. 

I then formatted card on PC, picking exFAT and block sizes of 4096.
I then EOSCard the card (checking boot and develop)
(there might be a way to stop EOScard from putting on ML, but I don't know, anyway, I just delete everything from card after EOScard does its thing)
I then copy all the files from Build20131008 to the empty card (though there are hidden files on it from EOScard I assume).
I then put card in camera and start.
The routines that were said many times here since I joined is to format the card on the computer then format it on the Camera with the Canon format and then back to the computer to install ML. You seem to be skipping that second format on the camera part. ?? I am somewhat hesitant about eoscard.exe. I think it put hidden files on my last card causing me problems. I also never did got an answer to that question before. I think eoscard is only for 64 gb and 128 gb cards. I now have a 32 gb card.

Gary

maxotics

In order for the camera to boot form the card the SD card has to have a hidden boot file.  You can't live without EOScard, or a similar utility.  1% will say, if otherwise.  I'm curious too.

The old instructions were meant to make sure the camera had Canon's folders DCIM and MISC, which it expects.  I'm almost certain it doesn't do anything else.  So you can copy those files form PC, like I do.  So if you want exFAT, then you must format in PC last.

In previous builds, I would see 1920x1080 30fps next to the movie setting.  I no longer see that.  In any case, it only applied to H.264 recording and had no bearing, as far as I know, on RAW recording.  So where are you seeing it?  1% will want to know what build you have.

RAW depends on 4 settings

1. FPS
2. Aspect ratio 16:9, 2.35:1, etc.
3. Resolution, like 1280x720
4. Crop mode?

I believe everything else is extraneous.  1% can say if there are other settings that should also be priorities.

gary2013

Quote from: maxotics on October 09, 2013, 10:37:43 PM
In order for the camera to boot form the card the SD card has to have a hidden boot file.  You can't live without EOScard, or a similar utility.  1% will say, if otherwise.  I'm curious too.

The old instructions were meant to make sure the camera had Canon's folders DCIM and MISC, which it expects.  I'm almost certain it doesn't do anything else.  So you can copy those files form PC, like I do.  So if you want exFAT, then you must format in PC last.

In previous builds, I would see 1920x1080 30fps next to the movie setting.  I no longer see that.  In any case, it only applied to H.264 recording and had no bearing, as far as I know, on RAW recording.  So where are you seeing it?  1% will want to know what build you have.

RAW depends on 4 settings

1. FPS
2. Aspect ratio 16:9, 2.35:1, etc.
3. Resolution, like 1280x720
4. Crop mode?

I believe everything else is extraneous.  1% can say if there are other settings that should also be priorities.
I understand about the canon files. I just did it all as you said except for the eoscard. I am testing the raw record now and it is going longer and has not stopped yet.

I think the Canon setting reflect back to the ML raw. so if it is 30 p, then raw records 30p. thus, I only get 150 frames recorded. I go back to the canon menu and change it to 24 p and now the raw records continuous since it is doing 24p. When I get into editing with premiere pro cc, it shows them all as having a frame rate of 29.98 and not the 23.98, which it should do.

gary

gary2013

This will be interesting to see when i get it all extracted. I just recorded one whole file that shows as 21.5 GB. That seems odd. It was shot raw, 1280x720, 24  fps crop mode. I am transferring it now off the card and it will take quite awhile even on my USB 3 card reader.

gary
update-it is extracting 14,351 raw frames now.

1%

I fixed some M stuff, raw overlays and dual_iso preview works now..  make sure its not writing into the CR2.

gary2013

Quote from: 1% on October 09, 2013, 11:27:00 PM
I fixed some M stuff, raw overlays and dual_iso preview works now..  make sure its not writing into the CR2.
how do i make sure it is not writing into the Cr2? I have never done anything with cr2 before.

maxotics

I shot a bit over 5 minutes.  File size around 10.1 GB.  Converted to Cineform through RAWanizer.  RAWanizer thought it was 30fps.  It was 24.  (I could have changed that through a param if I felt like it).  Anyway, watched the whole thing.  Was fine.  So to me, looks like long recording is working very well on the EOS-M!

gary2013

I am still extracting. On 10,000 frames out of 14, 351 frames and I started over an hour ago, 4:38 PM. LOL Hello H.264 my old friend. I am sorry I have left you sitting here with nothing to do. Please show me that wonderful look raw was giving me. :-)

Gary

maxotics

At 24fps you shot close to 10 minutes.  I hope you have more interesting things to shoot them me.  My 5 minutes bored me to tears at Porter Square and was even more excruciatingly boring when I watched it on the PC.  The main thing is that it works fine.  My experience so far is that if the image looks good on LV it usually ends up find in RAW.

1%

Quotehow do i make sure it is not writing into the Cr2? I have never done anything with cr2 before.

Take a raw photo with dual iso and it should have a square in the preview... open it on the computer and make sure no parts of the square remain in the actual raw image you get in photoshop/etc/

also, preview is a setting in the dual_iso module so if you're wondering why you're getting no square...

gary2013

Quote from: 1% on October 10, 2013, 12:05:31 AM
Take a raw photo with dual iso and it should have a square in the preview... open it on the computer and make sure no parts of the square remain in the actual raw image you get in photoshop/etc/

also, preview is a setting in the dual_iso module so if you're wondering why you're getting no square...
Well, I did not see any square. And, that problem I had before is still here. That being when I use the USB cable to transfer files to the computer, then unplug the uSB cable from the camera, the camera will not shut down properly. It gets stuck on the Sensor cleaning display at power off. I have to pull the battery and then reload all the modules. AND, the shutter bug is now back. Something happened, obviously, from all this long raw record tests and this dual iso test.   :-(

Gary
update-I got back to somewhat normal with no shutter bug by a lot of reinstalling starting with Alex's minimal autoexec and reformatting . 1%, I still get those stack overflow messages now and then popping up in red on the top of the display.

1%

The USB cable thing seems to be doing something to shoot_malloc... you can't record raw video after pulling the cable.

Quoteobviously

Yea obviously since even a1ex's blank bin does it.

gary2013

Quote from: 1% on October 10, 2013, 01:31:21 AM
The USB cable thing seems to be doing something to shoot_malloc... you can't record raw video after pulling the cable.

Yea obviously since even a1ex's blank bin does it.
I have not tried that. I just try to shut the camera off after pulling the cable and it sticks on sensor cleaning. I have to leave the cable in and then shut it off and then pull the cable and then turn the camera on again to continue with whatever  which is not good because maybe I don't need to shut down the camera at that point in time. I may want to do more things before shutting down instead of raw rec.

1%

It gets even weirder:

USB IN/OUT - camera can't use do dm log anymore, raw video broken, turn off then power on leaves light flashing. Plug the cable in and the camera mounts and can be browsed.

Disable ALL malloc usage, USB cable in/out
Camera goes to sensor cleaning, pressing power again brings back LV, can't shut camera off

Copy & restart, same as above

change bin to use only 512KB vs 640Kb, dual ISO is broken, the address of the regs changed

so yea, I'm confused as fuck.

maxotics

USB is so freakin over-engineered I wouldn't be surprised if the camera dumps all its firmware just to load the code to run the protocol.  That is to say, once you plug a USB cable into the camera you ain't in Kansas anymore.   Shooting from the hip, I'd just say, don't use USB with ML.  Or, write a letter to all the manufacturers and ask them to bring Firewire back :)

1%

Yea but all this might be related to the shutter bug, there is some weird memory behavior... this is what was causing hard freeze on 6D using wifi early on.

The camera does shut off LV completely when using USB and goes into some kind of attached storage mode.

gary2013

Quote from: maxotics on October 10, 2013, 03:08:04 AM
USB is so freakin over-engineered I wouldn't be surprised if the camera dumps all its firmware just to load the code to run the protocol.  That is to say, once you plug a USB cable into the camera you ain't in Kansas anymore.   Shooting from the hip, I'd just say, don't use USB with ML.  Or, write a letter to all the manufacturers and ask them to bring Firewire back :)
Thunderbolt  :-)

gary2013

Quote from: 1% on October 10, 2013, 03:34:51 AM
Yea but all this might be related to the shutter bug, there is some weird memory behavior... this is what was causing hard freeze on 6D using wifi early on.

The camera does shut off LV completely when using USB and goes into some kind of attached storage mode.
USB never worked correctly with the Canon software that is suppose to control the camera and provide a remote view of the images. through the USB cable. We also need the USB to transfer/register picture style files..

I hope any/all of this does help you in some way, 1%.

gary

gary2013

If anyone is interested, -that 21.5 gb file i shot using raw video at 1280x720, 24 fps crop mode ended up as 8 minutes on the timeline as one long clip using a tif sequence. I am not sure how long the whole workflow turned out to be, but I would guess it was an hour and half, give or take. That's a lot of work to get 8 minutes of 720p 24 raw. And that was on one 32 gb sandisk card that handles 45 mb/s write. Imagine doing an important interview that can easily last an hour and all the cards you need, the swapping and all that long post production time. The Black Magic Cinema Camera with its removable SSD drives looks pretty good now compared to this. It shoots raw with a 13 stop dynamic range. You can save a ton of time with that over what we use now for raw in the M. Shooting some B roll with the M in raw and some short special FX would also be good for the M and raw. Or a fast short interview. :-)

Gary

1%

Quoteand provide a remote view of the images

It won't, it shuts down LV. If it had a better designed "photo" mode it would work for remote shooting.

The M H264 is ok, it really sucks wav doesn't work, it would make a nice little tape recorder with the dual mics and lens cap on.

Escaperoute

The shutter button don't work when i use rokinon fisheye lens with the EOS M adaptor. It is a manual lens and why isn't EOS M won't take a photo with Manual lens