Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WiGgLr

Quote from: WiGgLr on September 12, 2013, 08:28:05 PM
I'm now going to try following the instructions to put ML on one of my 64GB cards, I'll report back.

I copy/pasted the contents off of the 2GB onto a freshly camera formatted 64GB card (formatted before ML), then used EOSCard as per screenshot in this link http://www.magiclantern.fm/install.html

There doesn't seem to be a shutter bug

1%

So it came and went with recent builds?

WiGgLr

This is the first time I installed ML, as I upgraded to 2.0.2 vanilla firmware before ML was ready so had to wait.

I then held off and watched this thread while the bootloading issue was going on, and then the 18-55 issue. So for me, I've never had the shutter bug. I'm using the rootwang firmware that funkysound pointed me to on the previous page.

funkysound

Quote from: WiGgLr on September 12, 2013, 08:50:56 PM
This is the first time I installed ML, as I upgraded to 2.0.2 vanilla firmware before ML was ready so had to wait.

I then held off and watched this thread while the bootloading issue was going on, and then the 18-55 issue. So for me, I've never had the shutter bug. I'm using the rootwang firmware that funkysound pointed me to on the previous page.

That sounds interesting to me so far!
It looks like it really got something to do with installing 2.0.2 on 1.0.6 when ML was still installed on the EOS M because on Gary´s M this version didn´t work without shutter problems. The bug was still there he wrote.

@ Gary: Did you upgrade your M from 1.0.6 to 2.0.2 without uninstalling ML before?

But now I better shut my mouth again because I don´t really know and understand how all this works what the programmers do here.
I´ll come back if I realize something which could be helpful for you all to know.
EOS 600d, Tamron 17-50mm 2,8 with stab., Tamron 70-300mm, Canon 50mm 1:1,8, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5,6, Sigma 30mm 1,4,  EOS M with 18-55mm, 22mm and EF adapter, tons of more glases incl. FD/FL, EOS 70D, Canon 18-135mm STM

1%

It shouldn't make a difference though... unless there are different versions of this lens with different lens firmware. I noticed in 2.0.2 one of my nikon adapters doesn't work anymore either .... but the newer one does.

WiGgLr

Quote from: gary2013 on September 12, 2013, 09:01:11 PM
what lens ver firmware do the guys have that have no bug?

Gary

2.0.0 on the 18-55mm
1.8.0 on the 22mm

funkysound

EOS 600d, Tamron 17-50mm 2,8 with stab., Tamron 70-300mm, Canon 50mm 1:1,8, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5,6, Sigma 30mm 1,4,  EOS M with 18-55mm, 22mm and EF adapter, tons of more glases incl. FD/FL, EOS 70D, Canon 18-135mm STM

haomuch

I have been using ML from the 1.0.6 firmware and now on 2.0.2. I had both the 18-55 and the 22. Both work for me although the 18-55 does have shutter problem for several times but a reboot simply solve it. Now I refresh to the latest ML and found some new interesting staff. Thanks very much for your work 1% as well as other contributors.

But unfortunately the magic zoom is still basically unusable and the live view auto zoom has not been improved. Which is very very annoying for me because this is a photo camera first but we can't even get a perfect way to use manual lenses on it. I don't know why it's so hard to improve these two functions. Even though the magic zoom still need some work to find out the sync method, we can at least improve the auto zoom by simply add an option to only trigger it after half pressed the shutter for a certain 0.x second. Therefore we don't need to go through the auto zoomed view every time before taking the shoot. I am very eager to see some change to that.

Also, I think it could be much better to auto trigger the magic zoom box only when half pressed and disable it when release the button. So that we can see the focus peaking before half press without being disturbed by the magic zoom function.

1%

QuoteI don't know why it's so hard to improve these two functions.

Because vsync is pretty bad on EOSM.... but the other suggestions do make sense... its really bad using MZ or 10x zoom with the half shutter method (I hate it).

haomuch

Quote from: 1% on September 12, 2013, 10:35:11 PM
Because vsync is pretty bad on EOSM.... but the other suggestions do make sense... its really bad using MZ or 10x zoom with the half shutter method (I hate it).

I also guess it's very hard to get the magic room working perfectly but I believe you can figure it out some day. I don't know if it's possible to add the trigger delay option but currently I think it could be the only work around.

BTW, even though I also hate to use the10x room function as a work around, I can actually accept to trigger the magic zoom box with half shutter press if it's not set to be always on. But I just want it only appear after the shutter half pressed and auto disappear after release the button. Just as I said before, it could help us almost use the focus peaking and then the magic zoom together. Currently these two functions can only work alone.

1%

Well I don't think there is enough CPU for focus peaking + magic zoom. Maybe the digic peaking.

haomuch

Quote from: 1% on September 12, 2013, 11:05:15 PM
Well I don't think there is enough CPU for focus peaking + magic zoom. Maybe the digic peaking.

Well maybe I didn't make myself clear. My idea is that before we half press the shutter it's focus peaking. When we manual adjusted the lens close to the focus point and half pressed the shutter, the magic zoom is triggered and focus peaking is disabled. So we can continue micro adjust the focus. After we took the shoot and release the shutter, the magic zoom exist and the camera comes back to focus peaking. It's a little different from the current switch method.

haomuch

Of course this is only meaningful after the vsync solved.

1%

Yep, right now it comes on way too often and stays on when you don't want it.

jerrykil

i like the digic peaking more. a1ex added code to make it turn off when shutter is half-pressed

jerrykil

ml dev dudes,
is there any advice on capturing stuff with mem_spy module? i can't find much documentation the tool. i feel like mapping out some more of the eos M memory space would be beneficial and maybe we could get this shutter bug figured out. tweeking MEM_SPY.CFG doesn't seem to populate the values when i boot up the camera. is that normal?
thaaaanks

nanomad

Use a build with memory browser enabled (CONFIG HEXDUMP). It's usually faster unless you know what you are looking for and how it should behave
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

1%

Loaded both raw_rec and mlv_rec?