Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

funkysound

Quote from: gary2013 on September 11, 2013, 11:01:51 AM
Funky,
I just tried the Rootwang you speak of and it took one pic at first on the camera, but then I turned the camera off, waited and then turned it back on and the shutter bug is still there. The Rotwang version does not get rid of the shutter bug. I am not sure why your camera does not have that problem. You are the only one that has said that using these EF M lenses with IS.

Gary

Hi Gary - I have no idea too.
Just checked it again, did a few photos and filmed. Turned it of and on, photos ... filming, ... a few times ... still no problems with the shutter. Only focus peaking stops working some times.
Maybe I did something different then you all did. When I changed to the new EOS M fimware, I reseted everything back to 0 before (uninstal ML bootflag on the M, format SD card, ...). That´s why I couldn´t use ML after installing 2.0.2. and had to wait till Rootwang gave me/us his compiled ML version. Since than I didn´t change a thing.
I did read here that you could update to 2.0.2 from 1.0.6 without uninstaling ML before and that many people did it this way - but I didn´t do so. I guess that´s all I can say about what I may have done different.
I have no idea if this made the difference because I do not really understand what you do and how you program all this fantastic ML stuff - but it´s a fact that I didn´t face any shutter problems with the 18-55 efm till now.

I hope this helpes you!
EOS 600d, Tamron 17-50mm 2,8 with stab., Tamron 70-300mm, Canon 50mm 1:1,8, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5,6, Sigma 30mm 1,4,  EOS M with 18-55mm, 22mm and EF adapter, tons of more glases incl. FD/FL, EOS 70D, Canon 18-135mm STM

maxotics

@gary2013  I'm still here!  'I feel ya', as they say.  The shutter-bug is a big issue to me, even though I don't have that lens.  If the efm 10-20mm lens works (without the bug) and goes on sale in the U.S., then in crop mode the EOS-M will be a super small RAW shooter.  It's great with my Sigma ef 10-20mm.  But that's a big lens.  It might be okay with the 22mm if the lens had IS.

Today I've been working on an alternative to the pink dot problem, hope to post soon and then you'll see I'm far from gone!  Though, of course, it's 1% we really need!!!!

jerrykil

gary:
here is another nightly from the work committed today. it seems there have been some audio changes/additions, although i'm not sure what you're talking about.
you gutta be patient with the devs, cuz, you know, we don't have a choice :P

i guess we could learn to hack camera's and contribute our time and effort  :o

http://www.bot-fly.com/magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Sep11.EOSM202.zip

Malakai

Im still lurking around. Keeping an eye open waiting for the devs to give us something to test. Ive done all im capable of and im happy to sit back, hunt for bugs and wait for the devs.

:D
Hunting for that elusive EOS M shutterbug!!

jerrykil

Quote from: gary2013 on September 12, 2013, 01:35:22 AM
We may be at a standstill cus of certain bugs, etc. but we do have something that us usable and some workarounds as other people, including me, are showing. That is quite an achievement from having nothing when I bought this camera. The things about audio that I mentioned are that the audio meters do not show during setup and after recording.
We all love what you are doing, 1%. Please always understand this. :-)
Gary
I noticed there are level monitors now in the left most tab of the ML menu. Have you seen that, yet? Its a more recent addition. I thought that was pretty cool, not sure if it works, however. With the PDR problems, are you giving up on raw for the time being? Is the h264 compression that bad? I'm not a video guy but I had a lot of fun playing with HDR video on my EOS M. There were a few framedrops, however :P

maxotics

Hi fellow EOS-M'ers, I created an alternative PDR processing routine using ufRAW.  urRAW has a pretty good bad-pixel clean-up function.  Obviously, PDR is my first choice.  This is just in case something changes in ML, busting PDR again, and I need to do something with recently shot video.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6658.msg75354#msg75354

maxotics

Hi Gary, I have another script on the forum that does similar stuff.  I'll combine them and try to make it easy for anyone.  Right now, this is just an insurance policy ;)  You can also process the DNGs in ufRAW's GUI.

BlueBomberTurbo

Anyone else having this issue when installing?  Everything seems to go perfect, but after I get the install confirmation (green text screen) and restart, it just goes back to the normal interface.  If I cycle through the Info displays, one will be ML's, but no ability to do anything with it.  Same in video.  There's no ML menu available at all, so I really can't do a thing with it besides watch the zebras.  I'm following the instructions from post 1496  from p.60, with a camera with 2.02 FW from the factory.

WiGgLr

Quote from: funkysound on September 11, 2013, 01:46:21 PM
Hi Gary - I have no idea too.
Just checked it again, did a few photos and filmed. Turned it of and on, photos ... filming, ... a few times ... still no problems with the shutter. Only focus peaking stops working some times.
Maybe I did something different then you all did. When I changed to the new EOS M fimware, I reseted everything back to 0 before (uninstal ML bootflag on the M, format SD card, ...). That´s why I couldn´t use ML after installing 2.0.2. and had to wait till Rootwang gave me/us his compiled ML version. Since than I didn´t change a thing.
I did read here that you could update to 2.0.2 from 1.0.6 without uninstaling ML before and that many people did it this way - but I didn´t do so. I guess that´s all I can say about what I may have done different.
I have no idea if this made the difference because I do not really understand what you do and how you program all this fantastic ML stuff - but it´s a fact that I didn´t face any shutter problems with the 18-55 efm till now.

I hope this helpes you!

Hi funky,

I haven't yet installed ML, but I have both the 22mm and 18-55mm EF-M lenses. My camera came with the 1.0.6 firmware, and I updated it to 2.0.2 before taking the plunge with ML. As such, I think I could be in the perfect position to test your theory.

Please could you give me newbie step by step instructions on how to get ML installed the way you have done it? Then we can see whether I experience the bug (hopefully not).

Thanks,

Wigglr

Malakai

You could try 1% latest version. Grab this zip from here, or try the ML build that was put up a few posts ago by jerrykil from here.
Unzip it to a folder on your computer.
Copy all the files inside onto the root of your memory card (32gb or smaller)
Put it in your camera and power the camera up then make sure the mode dial is on camera manual. (Middle setting)
In the menu go to spanner 4 this is the page that shows the camera firmware, should say firmware ver.: 2.0.2. Press set on it and it will show the camera and lens firmware. Press set again on camera and it will give the firmware update screen. Choose OK.  Dont touch the camera. Let it do its thing. The screen may flash a few times but eventually you will get a screen with green writing on it. At this point turn off the camera. Wait for a few seconds then turn it back on. If at any point in time the SD light goes red and stays red for longer than a few seconds pull the battery from the camera.  This shouldnt happen but just in case it does.

ML should now be installed. Just press two fingers on the screen at the same time and the ML menu should appear.

To test for the bug, put the 18-55mm ef-m on and just turn the camera on. Check ML is running by brining up menu then try taking a photo. If you get focus lock and then shutter activation you dont have the bug. If you get focus lock and no shutter activation after a full press then you have the bug.

If you want to uninstall ML. perform the same steps but when you get to the screen with the green writing change the mode dial to auto camera. After powering off reset your camera to default then format your memory card in your computer.

Remember, you do this at your own risk. I take no responsibility if you break your camera. This post is for information only.

funkysound

Quote from: WiGgLr on September 12, 2013, 11:09:52 AM
Hi funky,

I haven't yet installed ML, but I have both the 22mm and 18-55mm EF-M lenses. My camera came with the 1.0.6 firmware, and I updated it to 2.0.2 before taking the plunge with ML. As such, I think I could be in the perfect position to test your theory.

Please could you give me newbie step by step instructions on how to get ML installed the way you have done it? Then we can see whether I experience the bug (hopefully not).

Thanks,

Wigglr

@ Malakai: Wiggir tries to test if there is this bug with Rootwangs version too or not - I didn´t update to any other version until I tried this one and I have no bug. Let´s find out first if this is only happen with my M.

Hi Wigglr,
sounds like a good idea to me.
If I remember it right it´s easy to do. You just download the compiled version from Rootwang (post #1110 on side 45) and do the normal ML instalation which you can find here (even if EOS M is not mentioned because there is no official version till now - the procedere is the same) :
http://www.magiclantern.fm/install.html
Malakai explaned it too.
EOS 600d, Tamron 17-50mm 2,8 with stab., Tamron 70-300mm, Canon 50mm 1:1,8, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5,6, Sigma 30mm 1,4,  EOS M with 18-55mm, 22mm and EF adapter, tons of more glases incl. FD/FL, EOS 70D, Canon 18-135mm STM

Malakai

@funkysound

Sounds like a good idea. Try rootwangs version. If you used it and dont have the bug and he tries it and doesnt get the bug too then there is some kind of connection there. If he then tries 1% version and gets the bug then the devs may be able to narrow it down a bit more.

WiGgLr

ok thanks guys, I'll try this out when I get home from work

BlueBomberTurbo

Quote from: gary2013 on September 12, 2013, 04:32:37 AM
Sometimes I have problems and it eventually clears up after maybe four attempts of off-then back on. Make sure you wait a few seconds for the red flash led to appear by the on/.off button. I had a problem an hour ago installing thet latest build posted here and the modules were not loading. They were always showing an Err for each module. After four attempts of turning them on,etc. it finally worked correctly and all modules loaded up saying OK. I had this module loading problem before maybe three or four weeks ago.

Don't forget you are suppose to tap the LCD display with two finger tips at the same time to get into the ML menus.

Gary
Finally got it working!  Thanks!

1%

Well the other version is built off my repo, just newer.

WiGgLr

OK, so I had to hunt around for a non-SDXC card, as I have been using 2 x 64GB class 10 of those.

Eventually I find an old point and shoot camera with a 2GB SD MLC card in it, then I followed the instructions from funkysound's link (installed ML without a lens on). Fired it up to see it worked, turned it off, put on the 18-55 and switched it on, no problem at all taking shots (only tried AV mode).

I switched on focus peak and magic zoom, plus overlay, took more shots.

I switched to 22mm lens, took a couple of shots, switched back to 18-55, took some more shots

I must have turned the camera on and off at least 20 times in all (waiting for the light to flash before switching on again) and did not get the bug.

I'm now going to try following the instructions to put ML on one of my 64GB cards, I'll report back.