Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

Well I can reproduce it now:

Copy&restart - Unplug usb, off, sensor cleaning -> power back on, won't shut down
Cache hack - unplug, off, sensor cleaning -> black screen

So it comes back w c&R but you still have to pull the battery.

maxotics

I am sorry to report that the Century Optics .5 Wide Angle Adapter does NOT work with the Canon 22mm pancake that is often bundled with the EOS-M.  It is impossible to get focus at any distance.

My guess is that it is designed for camcorders with lenses farther back from the mount and smaller sensors. 

Looks like I will have to get a 10-20mm Canon EOS-M lens from Canada at some point.  My Sigma 10-20mm, with the EF mount, works well on the EOS-M.  So I would expect the same, if not better (IS), from the Canon lens.

zuzukasuma

Quote from: tetsu on September 04, 2013, 09:41:52 PM
i mean that the problem is still present, and even with this version i cant seem to shoot anything.

its getting boring to read posts about 18-55 STM here. we know it has a problem, and only one developer tries to fix it. I wish I'm capable of fixing it but I'm not. if you're not able to shot sth ML & 18-55 then try to shoot without 18-55 STM. I don't have the lens I've bought the camera with 22mm f/2 kit and works fine for me. even if I want to use 18 mm I connect my old 18-55 IS II with ef/ef-s to ef-m adapter and works just fine.

@maxotics, if you'd like to spend a few more dollars, I recommend you to use 12-24 sigma for canon, it also supports full-frame usage.
in a complicated relationship with eos m.

maxotics

@zuzukasuma  Thanks for the suggestions. I have a Sigma 10-20mm that I use with the EF Adapter.  It works very well.  However, I have it on a 50D and would like a setup for each camera.  I would think the Canon 10-20 lens made for the EOS-M would be the best route, but that's $400 and now I'm wondering if I should just wait for the BMPCC if I'm going to start throwing that kind of money around :)  I'm in a real pickle.  On CL I can see a 17mm/3.4 for $150, or a 15mm/2.8 for $450.  Is it worth it? Those lenses good for all Canons.  Maybe just get some sort of way to steady the 22mm in crop mode.  Or maybe a Sigma 17-70/2.8?  Whoa is me  :(  What other suggestions do you have?  What I want is EOS-M, small enough to fit in a fanny pack, where I can go into crop-mode and take what I think is exceptional RAW video at 720p--as wide as possible.  EDIT. I now see there is a 12-24 Tokina f/4 for $350 on CL

tetsu

Quote from: zuzukasuma on September 04, 2013, 10:06:47 PM
its getting boring to read posts about 18-55 STM here. we know it has a problem, and only one developer tries to fix it. I wish I'm capable of fixing it but I'm not. if you're not able to shot sth ML & 18-55 then try to shoot without 18-55 STM. I don't have the lens I've bought the camera with 22mm f/2 kit and works fine for me. even if I want to use 18 mm I connect my old 18-55 IS II with ef/ef-s to ef-m adapter and works just fine.

@maxotics, if you'd like to spend a few more dollars, I recommend you to use 12-24 sigma for canon, it also supports full-frame usage.

I´m just trying to help 1% to find the bug, i know this is alpha software and there will be bugs, im willing to deal with the workaround in order to use the other features, my adaptor is coming. Thanks for your patience.

tetsu

Quote from: maxotics on September 04, 2013, 10:42:21 PM
@zuzukasuma  Thanks for the suggestions. I have a Sigma 10-20mm that I use with the EF Adapter.  It works very well.  However, I have it on a 50D and would like a setup for each camera.  I would think the Canon 10-20 lens made for the EOS-M would be the best route, but that's $400 and now I'm wondering if I should just wait for the BMPCC if I'm going to start throwing that kind of money around :)  I'm in a real pickle.  On CL I can see a 17mm/3.4 for $150, or a 15mm/2.8 for $450.  Is it worth it? Those lenses good for all Canons.  Maybe just get some sort of way to steady the 22mm in crop mode.  Or maybe a Sigma 17-70/2.8?  Whoa is me  :(  What other suggestions do you have?  What I want is EOS-M, small enough to fit in a fanny pack, where I can go into crop-mode and take what I think is exceptional RAW video at 720p--as wide as possible.

If you are in to video you must look at Bower/Rokinon/Samyang (they all are the same brand) manual lenses, they are great and cheap. If you want to use them on the EOS M you have to enable the custom operation > others menu > option 7 > Release shutter with out lens in order to use manual lenses.

The 24mm f1.4 is around 500$ but not that wide on crop sensors.
Then you have the 14mm f2.8 for 300 or 330$ on some places, quite a nice wide on a crop sensor.
If you want to go the ultra wide route then go for the 8mm f3.5! Its around 215 - 250$.

maxotics

@tetsu

I've read the 8mm distorts in crop mode.  As for the others, I agree with you, the optics are fine.  I am a Rokinon 85mm.  However, the price difference between those and Canons are sometimes not worth losing auto focus (nice to have).  If I went that route, and I'm tempted, I'd see how low the 15mm/2.8 canon guy would go.  He's asking $450.

maxotics

@gary2013  A guy on DPreview said he got one from Henry's in Canada.  Henry's Online it say $400, so that is probably the way to go.  If that's Canadian dollars even a bit cheaper.

zuzukasuma

@maxotics,

its logical to buy this lens as soon as it's on the market
http://petapixel.com/2013/08/14/review-can-the-canon-ef-m-11-22mm-revive-the-eos-m-system/

seems to have distortion problems too but definitely worth to try.

@Canon eos m

do you have new cr2hdr.exe from DUAL ISO page? it seems to work fine, if you don't, this works fine https://www.transferbigfiles.com/9114e79a-8d7a-4910-83c7-3c2ceea08c23/B4THtf_L9lqWULe0XrnLWQ2

and !!! @gary2013, if you have rights to post your problems here, I have my rights too, and your message insulting & offending my post (!)

zuzukasuma

Quote from: gary2013 on September 04, 2013, 11:31:47 PM
The forum is to help dev's , like 1%, test and fix problems for "ML". You say you are bored reading about a legitimate problem with an M lens. As I said, then don't read those posts. You are wrong with all your talk about other lenses and posting anything you want, which has nothing to do with ML, testing and fixing problems.Use email or PM outside this forum for other discussions off topic. This is the second day now this has happened. How many posts have you made so far in total to help ML?? 

I am sorry you feel insulted. That is you problem you brought on to yourself. I was not trying to insult you. Start showing some respect to 1% and the rest of us on here working hard at making ML good for the M camera and everyone around the world that like using ML on the M.

if I post 3 questions like you in separate posts, I'd have 150 posts now, I'm trying to get the best out of M but its a cheap-o camera with limited hardware. its not a rock-n-roll star like 5D.III, has capabilities but still sucks in some aspects. if there is a real problem with the EF-M 18-55 STM lens why only 2-3 people complaining about it? maybe your lenses are defective (yeah, have you ever thought about it!?).

I'm trying to be as clear as possible to ask my questions and post my problems here. unlike you not posting over and over and over again. learn to use modify button.

maxotics

Hi Guys, this stuff if very frustrating and the ML forum, in all it's chaos, certainly doesn't put me in a more patient mood ;)  Let's give each other some room to vent once in a while.  I've said stuff I didn't want to say either.

Looks like I may be having problems similar to the lens issues you are discussing.  I put on the EF adapter, then the 10-20mm Sigma, went out, and it wouldn't shoot RAW, maybe one second.  Also, the aperture was locked to the shutter speed.  I couldn't get it working.  Maybe it has something to do with changing lenses? 

So I came back, put 1%'s new "EOSMFullbackADTGui" build on a new 32GB card (which I wanted to do anyway) but that didn't fix it, indeed, the camera became crazier.  All these messages "modules already loaded".  The ML screen comes up, but the modules don't show they're loaded, though I could make changes to video ML.  I disabled autoboot.  Tried again old card.  Anyway, camera is not working in ML mode anymore.   

Can someone give me a fool-proof method to get camera back?  Or any ideas?  Thanks!

1%

Extra files in modules folder like dis/en... Module system probably changed in between.

BTW the C&R bin does have problems.. its just for testing whether that was the prob with the lens.

The camera also dislikes one of my EF to nikon adapters, it says upgrade lens firmware.

RenatoPhoto

Please stop the arguing.  Help the devs in anyway you can and keep the posting to the subject of this post i.e. EOS M.  Other subjects can be discussed in General Chat.
If you want to argue about something then do it off the board!
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

nick.p

I've been trying to use the mlv_rec module. I always get a file creation error and then it fills the buffer but doesn't write to the card. Does the mlv module work?

maxotics

Although I mucked up my 50D a few days ago, I haven't changed the ML on my EOS-M for some time.  So I think, either the lens change, or some key combination, corrupted it.  I then did as Garry suggested.  1. format on PC, 2 format on camera, then 1st ML stuff onto card, eos util, then 2nd part.  I tried 1%s stuff but had same problem.

1% Again, is there a place that spells this out a bit more.  A lot of what you say is in short-hand and I don't understand.  What was the purpose of your latest build?  Why is it called "[EOSM]FullbackADTGui"  Should I try again with it, only copy some modules? 

AnthonyEngelken

Quote from: nick.p on September 05, 2013, 01:01:35 AMI've been trying to use the mlv_rec module.

What is mlv_rec? It wasn't included in 1%'s recent [EOSM]FullbackADTGui package. While I'm on the subject, what is adtg_gui?

zuzukasuma

Quote from: nick.p on September 05, 2013, 01:01:35 AM
I've been trying to use the mlv_rec module. I always get a file creation error and then it fills the buffer but doesn't write to the card. Does the mlv module work?

not everything for EOS M, its only running on 50D and 5D Mark II now, its RAW 2.0 video format.

@AnthonyEngelken, its been out for EOS M ML development for some time, detailed info here -> http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/ADTG

in addition, I'm having sensor breakdown, or something else on my EOS M with fps override even at 14fps.

eosm1986

First of all, thank-you for this firmware.  It really is pretty amazing.  Just a question - I've looked around, but been unable to find an answer.  It seems now that I've loaded the ML firmware, my camera has a REALLY strong affinity towards larger apertures.  It's virtually impossible to get it to stop down below F3.2.  It will, but almost never.  The used to be able to guess pretty much exactly what aperture the camera would choose in P mode - but now, it's almost impossible to get it away from the large apertures.  Anyone else having similar issues?

Thanks again to all.

nick.p

Quote from: zuzukasuma on September 05, 2013, 01:58:40 AM
not everything for EOS M, its only running on 50D and 5D Mark II now, its RAW 2.0 video format.
That makes more sense now. I was compiling the source and it was included by default.