Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

atomas72

I read a lot of fantastic feature of ML, the most interesting, for me, seems to be video raw, I'm looking for the pinkdotremover.jar version for canon eos m raw video. Where can I find it?

feureau

Quote from: maxotics on August 24, 2013, 01:39:44 PM
Finally, most of the videos I post, do not show RAW in all its glory.

Speaking of which, has anyone tried a normal-dynamic range comparison (none of these, visible cloud vs visible indoor, but regular level of DR) between H.264 downscaled to 720p and the EOS-M 720p raw?

gary2013

maxotics

Quote from: feureau on August 24, 2013, 04:21:47 PM
Speaking of which, has anyone tried a normal-dynamic range comparison (none of these, visible cloud vs visible indoor, but regular level of DR) between H.264 downscaled to 720p and the EOS-M 720p raw?

@feureau, If you move past my talking head you can see clips where I test exactly that.  A problem is that dynamic range is effected by initial exposure and your post processing.  So I feel people look at my clips and think, 'he just doesn't know how to expose/grade H.264 from the camera'  I've asked many times for workflow to bring in-camera H.264 to the DR I see in RAW.  No one has responded.  I can only say in my experience, working with the both RAW and H.264 from the same camera that RAW has more DR than H.264.  I think it is obvious to anyone if you ask them which video is more contrasty.  Or put another way, try as I might, I can't get detail to show in H.264 that I can in RAW.  In these clips I went straight to Cineform.  If I had graded from the TIFFs the detail enhancement would have been even better (again, in my experience).  Resolution does NOT equal DR.  I thought it would, but it does not (at least for me).  You might get more sharpness down-scaling, not DR, at least again, I can't.  Also, RAW to me gives that three-dimensional light feel to images.  H.264 doesn't, though again, others don't believe it or don't care or who knows what ;)

nech

Hello,

where can I found the last ML for the actual EOS-M Firmware?

thx

CinB13

Quote from: mixer2 on August 24, 2013, 10:07:06 AM
@CinB13:
can you show me an example of the remaining dots?

I, unfortunately have been testing around the RAW on EOS-M and may have deleted it.  But I tried the RAWanizer to remove the pink dots on the middle of the clips, let it run, go to my editing program [Vegas], and I do see blue dots on the right side of the clips.

So, I won't rule out the implementation of RAW in EOS-M as it got a lot of ways to go in my opinion, but I won't abandon my trying out H.264 either.

P.S.: While following Mark's version of using 720p RAW, I don't see the dots.

dcmgmt

@maxotics... You are correct about the DR. I believe there are several stops difference between RAW & H.264. Here are a couple ACR corrected frame grabs from my video shoot today which were a very good test of DR. Notice the properly exposed model while image detail is still well preserved in the highlights. Thanks to you and all the other wiz kids on here who got me off and running with the eosM!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/awv8jvdxz4ts0uv/Image7_ACR.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sa4dmbgkltfkha3/Image11_ACR.jpg

zuzukasuma

apart from the RAW video, is there a solution to remove dead pixels from silent shots? I've tried pinkdotremover 2013.08.08 version but no luck. photos neither  squeezed nor have dots all over the place.

another thing is, when you use "take pics.. like crazy" on timelapse, it continues with real shutter action, I'd like to capture 1frame at a time, but fps override gives me headaches because of the half-pink frames and greenish view (I haven't seen anyone mentioned it, but my camera acts like brick sometimes. all the frames are greenish and not recording anything)

any help will be appreciated.

carl.
in a complicated relationship with eos m.

mixer2

silent dng should work with pdr... if any dots don't get removed upload an example dng please.

zuzukasuma

Quote from: mixer2 on August 25, 2013, 02:31:17 PM
silent dng should work with pdr... if any dots don't get removed upload an example dng please.

here they are, please zoom in to see the dots

original silent dng, http://www.qfpost.com/file/d?g=NmeQn7uLm
supposed to be corrected dng, http://www.qfpost.com/file/d?g=TUeCK3EmA

gary2013

1%

QuoteCan we get PLEASE get some more audio control by allowing stereo audio out thru the USB AV port AND keep the video showing all the time on the camera's LCD?

2nd part is easy, first part is hard. It doesn't just turn on monitor like on 550D, need to configure the IC to enable monitor mode and I don't even see it in the 650D IC (probably identical) datasheet. Plus it won't even record or beep without freezing.

gary2013

feureau

Quote from: gary2013 on August 26, 2013, 04:21:46 PM
I don't know what you mean by the second part and first part.

gary

The second part is the latter bits, and the first part is the former bits, the former of the latter effects the latter of the former.

gary2013

LOL, I Know what that means. :-) I am saying I only asked for one thing. Make the LCD stay on with audio out thru the AV port. Can you be more specific on first and second?

gary
edit-ok, re read it. are you meaning the second part is keeping the lcd on all the time? and the first part as having ther audio out thru the AV?

1%

Yea, I just did the screen stays on portion... I found something else tho:

TestSetAudioHPMon 1 (24)
I2C > [22] aa
I2C done 1

So... I2C is writing to reg 22 and it wrote AA or the other way around. Maybe this is new way to do audio_IC write since 1/2 the regs on the new IC are only accessed with i2C. I think the parameter I'm throwing into hp mon isn't right. But at least something is happening.

gary2013

1%

It turns off audio when idle so its actually a bit of a problem, it comes back for a second when the meters are on the screen. But the gist of the above is that I caught it sending a command so if I figure out that & compare with the 650D datasheet something might be possible.

hansidar

It seems that there are several versions of a release that works with intervalometer, but none is gathered in one place.
There is a link at page 45, post 1110 wich contains a link.. but this zip file is pasword protected.
I am in spesific after intervalometer funtion... as i am about to put my camera in a multicopter.

1%

I have to go to work but I'm planning on EOSM full pack with autoexpo (need *other AE_VALUE maybe) and I wanted to do dual ISO but I'm stuck on logging the regs still. I thought someone posted a full release earlier in the thread.

funkysound

Quote from: hansidar on August 26, 2013, 05:30:39 PM
It seems that there are several versions of a release that works with intervalometer, but none is gathered in one place.
There is a link at page 45, post 1110 wich contains a link.. but this zip file is pasword protected.
I am in spesific after intervalometer funtion... as i am about to put my camera in a multicopter.

Just tested the download link again and for me the zip file is not pasword protected - all works fine ...
EOS 600d, Tamron 17-50mm 2,8 with stab., Tamron 70-300mm, Canon 50mm 1:1,8, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5,6, Sigma 30mm 1,4,  EOS M with 18-55mm, 22mm and EF adapter, tons of more glases incl. FD/FL, EOS 70D, Canon 18-135mm STM

FunFox

Is ML on the EOS M working with the Android App ML? Is the live view working?

1%

I don't know if M supports this, I don't have the OTG cable to check.

mixer2

@zuzukasuma:

please download this file and replace the one in the dotData dir of your PinkDotRemover.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j727o0iaho4i3vd/EOSM.txt

that silent dng resolution should work then too. if you find another silent dng resolution that doesn't work, please tell me that i can fix them too. in contrast to the raw movie dngs the silent dng do need special configuration for each resolution.

zuzukasuma

Quote from: mixer2 on August 26, 2013, 07:42:27 PM
@zuzukasuma:

please download this file and replace the one in the dotData dir of your PinkDotRemover.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j727o0iaho4i3vd/EOSM.txt

that silent dng resolution should work then too. if you find another silent dng resolution that doesn't work, please tell me that i can fix them too. in contrast to the raw movie dngs the silent dng do need special configuration for each resolution.

thank you mixer2, it worked.

processed vs original

to my knowledge silent shots are 3:2 and full-screen, correct me if I'm wrong but all of them at the same resolution; 1734x695..

they are good for short silent timelapse shots, especially after resizing them to 2K on ACR8.