Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: haomuch on August 20, 2013, 10:15:12 PM
Does anyone ever pay a little attention on the photo shooting things instead of the movie? I really don't understand why everybody is talking about movie and movie. But we really need to improve the photo shooting features very eagerly.

not sure how much you keep up with "video new" or "video tech" for that matter, but being able to shoot RAW VIDEO!! as a free bonus on any camera is a must have option for any filmmaker.

what could possibly be missing as far as photo features outside of what's stock on cam and the tons of stuff ML currently adds.

also be patient, things take time and the photo stuff isn't what in demand.  if you checked the website traffic of ML in the past 6 months, my guess is you would see a major spike in traffic due to the high demand of affordable of raw video.

maxotics

@haomuch

RAW video is the same as taking X number of stills in quick succession (albeit at a lower than normal resolution).   So if you were taking photos of someone for their profile page on LinkedIn, say, you could shoot in RAW, extract the DNGs, convert them to TIFFs, and be able to pick exactly the right expression in the split second it happened in.  So it's not as if RAW video is completely non-photo related.  It has photo uses. 

DanyoO

Sorry for my bad english  :(

One clip video raw.
Video Raw Eos M
Canon Eos M + 22MM/ F2
1728x694      20FPS
SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB SDHC Clase10 UHS-I

Drobox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ym2myfxlo4buv8t/tes%20eos%20m%20raw%20video%2020fps..avi

gravitatemediagroup

can pink dot fix be done in a batch, or just 1 at a time?

and also,  PDF isn't working on the footage I shot today, instead it creates a duplicate (in Dav. resolve it shows up double anyways, before PDF resolve was only showing 1)

mixer2

you can add as many files as you want to the pink dot remover file list and convert them all.

PDF = pink dot fix?
have you tried to remove dots in the dngs or the raw? can you upload a dng that isn't working?

DanyoO

I use PinkDotRemover  ;)
I believe that it erases all the rough files :( intentare recuperar algun dng, but if I won't record myself some other video of my training :) but to 24fps

using a program to recover erased files and gotten some dng.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/md90w4re47h6x2g/%24R6005D7.dng

cameron12x

Does ML have a "hyperfocal" focus mode, where you simply compose the photo and the camera calculates what will be in focus (from infinity distance to closest distance in focus) using the selected aperture?

Say I select f/8 and want everything to be in focus from infinity to the closest point that f/8 will allow (hyperfocal distance).  Can ML do that automatically?  It would be great if it could!  Thanks for all of the great work!

haomuch

They can't even provide a usable magic room focus function currently. So I think you may need to wait for a very long time.

cameron12x

Quote from: haomuch on August 21, 2013, 10:59:15 PM
They can't even provide a usable magic room focus function currently. So I think you may need to wait for a very long time.

What is a "magic room focus function?"  And how is that less difficult than an automatic hyperfocal distance focuser?  Just curious.

Rush

Quote from: cameron12x on August 21, 2013, 08:57:36 PM
Does ML have a "hyperfocal" focus mode
check Focus tab. with most electronic lenses - it automatically calculates DOF and Hyperfocal distance, based on current lens settings and will report if you are in hyperfocal distance
Greetings from Russia!

cameron12x

Quote from: Rush on August 21, 2013, 11:50:28 PM
check Focus tab. with most electronic lenses - it automatically calculates DOF and Hyperfocal distance, based on current lens settings and will report if you are in hyperfocal distance
Where is the "focus" tab?  I don't see it with my version of ML.  Thanks!

maxotics

@Markr041  AGAIN, you can say 'I told you so."  I shot a fair amount of crop mode.  The more I grade in Vegas, using both Cineform and MP4, the more I can get them to look alike.  So I've been thinking, RAW isn't worth it.  I've wasted a ton of time (at least on the EOS-M).  But I thought, maybe Markr41 is right.  So before I give up on it I decided to pull in those samples as TIFFs (had to use RAWdrop to get full resolution) and voila, back in business.  Much better than the native MP4.  I'm going to buy a 10-20mm lens on Friday and try it, in crop mode, on both the EOS-M and 50D.  I'll also only do grading using TIFFs.  Hopefully this will yield conclusive footage, high dynamic range and (from crop mode) limited moire.  That's where I'm at! 

Rush

Quote from: cameron12x on August 22, 2013, 12:38:37 AM
Where is the "focus" tab?  I don't see it with my version of ML.  Thanks!
OH, It is not available for EOS M yet...
Greetings from Russia!

maxotics

@gary2013

From my test and what I can see of others, using a higher bitrate in CBR won't provide better quality.  Or, if it does, for fast motion, it seems to top out at 1.4 (that's what I use, because no sense making bigger files for nothing).  The bigger benefit is if you want to record for a longer time on a card, or keep file sizes low, then you can use .8 say.  If you go the VBR qscale approach you're telling the camera to save more information for higher quality (or you can do less too).  However, high values can stop recording if you hit bright light (no one seems to know why).  Again, i can't see the change in quality.   My take, is based on what I've read elsewhere, that these compression settings effect what happens after the image is produced, so may make some intra-frame quality better (motion), but have no real effect on the IQ of the individual reference frames.  Others can chime in here. I'm curious too.  THESE SETTINGS have nothing to do with RAW.  RAW ignores them, to my knowledge since you're getting straight/full sensor data.

RAWdrop is working for you, just not the way it was intended.  It expect you'd drop, say 600 DNG files onto it, it will then produce 600 TIFFs (in the same directory) which you can grade from, import into your NLE timeline.  What I do, is copy a set of DNGs to a directory I want the TIFFs in, drop all the DNGs there, delete the DNGS (copies), then pull the TIFFs into my timeline as a sequence and grade/edit. 

The best way to get good quality, without RAW, is to have the right light (not too much dynamic range--difficult outside) and the right lens, f-stop, shutter speed, etc.  One famous cinematographer said, 'expose for the detail of your subject and let the highlights blow out'  Because most cameras can only capture limited dynamic range, exposure is very, very important.  I'm guilty of what you're about to do, spend too much time on compression technologies and not enough on the basics.  A primary benefit of RAW is that you have more latitude to "save"/fix exposure/color problems in post.  However, if your light and exposure are perfect, the video will probably look as good as you'll ever want it.  Of course, that's difficult to do and outside light doesn't always cooperate.  So I'm going RAW, but have to keep reminding myself, it's no cure-all.

cameron12x

Quote from: Rush on August 22, 2013, 11:24:22 AM
OH, It is not available for EOS M yet...

WOW!  It would be nice to have all of those FOCUS functions available for the EOS-M!

Praying for them!  :)

atomas72

Quote from: Drizzt321 on August 07, 2013, 12:14:04 AM
There are 3 files to download from this thread (plus the EOSCard app).

[EOSM202] (need to rename to have .zip extension): https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads/%5BEOSM202%5D%20FirstVersion-NoInstaller.zip
UpDaterM.fir: http://www.qfpost.com/file/d?g=NzBmhwaBK
magiclantern-EOSM.106.Alpha1.zip: http://bit.ly/UP7Avg

So, here are the steps that I took, a slight modification along with correct links on Canon eos m instructions.

1. First soft format your SD card on your computer.
2. Then format the card on your EOS M. This will create the 'DCIM' and 'MISC' folders on the SD card.
3. Next download files from the bitbucket.org link (https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads/%5BEOSM202%5D%20FirstVersion-NoInstaller.zip) provided by 1% above on to your harddisk. Unzip the files and copy directly to your SD card.
4. Next copy the updaterM202.fir (link on page 33 of this thread) UpDaterM.fir (http://www.qfpost.com/file/d?g=NzBmhwaBK) on your SD card.
5. Open the EOSCard link from the installation section of the 5DMarkIII home page.
6. With the SD card in the card reader open the EOSCard utility.
7. Once in the EOSCard interface checkmark the 'EOS_Develop' and Bootdisk and press the big 'ML' icon and then press the 'save' icon on the top left of the EOSCard interface.
8. Then copy the ML directory from the Alpha 1 (http://bit.ly/UP7Avg) version (you can find this on the EOS M home page). Unzip and copy the 'ML' folder on the SD card. Then transfer the 'Modules' files that you got from the bitbucket.
9. Make sure not to use the autoexe.bin file from Alpha 1 but autoexe.bin file you got the bitbucket.org link. (step 3)
Hi all I'm new to this forum.
I tryed 20 (I have a new Eos-m with 2.0.2 firmware) or more times to do this steps above but after the upgrade process I see a color lines for less a second and Camera turns to normal manual mode.
Can anyone tell me how to sure install ML on my camera?
Thanks for the answer and excuse me if the question has yet posted (I made a search but I didn't find nothing).
Tomas

markr041

@maxotics: I agree with you completely that shooting technique trumps RAW versus compressed out of camera. One more issue: RAWdrop produces Tiff files that are half the size of those produced by Lightroom when I tell Lightroom not to compress when going from .dng's to Tiff's. So it looks like the Tiff files produced by RAWdrop are compressed. If this is lossy compression, then it seems to me again the purpose of RAW is compromised. Do you know what RAWdrop is doing in terms of the conversion?

funkysound

Quote from: atomas72 on August 22, 2013, 03:37:31 PM
Hi all I'm new to this forum.
I tryed 20 (I have a new Eos-m with 2.0.2 firmware) or more times to do this steps above but after the upgrade process I see a color lines for less a second and Camera turns to normal manual mode.
Can anyone tell me how to sure install ML on my camera?
Thanks for the answer and excuse me if the question has yet posted (I made a search but I didn't find nothing).
Tomas

@ atomas72:  Best is to use the link #1110 on side 45 - Rootwang compiled all you need and it worked for me.
EOS 600d, Tamron 17-50mm 2,8 with stab., Tamron 70-300mm, Canon 50mm 1:1,8, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5,6, Sigma 30mm 1,4,  EOS M with 18-55mm, 22mm and EF adapter, tons of more glases incl. FD/FL, EOS 70D, Canon 18-135mm STM

maxotics

Quote from: markr041 on August 22, 2013, 03:45:12 PM
RAWdrop produces Tiff files that are half the size of those produced by Lightroom when I tell Lightroom not to compress when going from .dng's to Tiff's. So it looks like the Tiff files produced by RAWdrop are compressed. If this is lossy compression, then it seems to me again the purpose of RAW is compromised. Do you know what RAWdrop is doing in terms of the conversion?

I'm using the GUI version, which looks like this.  I started using it because I had that problem in RAWanizer (half-size TIFFs).  My guess is there is a way to tell RAWanizer to make a full-size TIFF through DCraw "Use Cusotm DNG to TIFF".  One of us needs to go figure those settings out ;)

Okay, these custom settings worked in RAWanizer to give full-size TIFFS: -6 -W -g 1 1

REFERENCE: http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/dcraw.1.html