Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mixer2

1024x768 (31,4 mb/s) or maybe 1088x816 (35,5 mb/s)... i would choose 1024x768 to be sure that it doesn't stop or skip frames after some minutes. the few extra pixels at 1088x816 shouldn't make much difference in quality. ml says continous recording ok, but for me it stopped after ~2 mins with 1088x816.
i can upload some 1024x768 sample shots tomorrow if they may help to judge the quality.

feureau

I couldn't seem to find this, but does defishing supposed to work with EOS-M?

How do you use it? (there's no liveview button on it)

JohnBarlow

Hi mixer2,

a 2 sec raw file of a flower or similar would be most appreciated, at your convenience of course.  Something I could evaluate and also try some PDR on

Thanks

Quote from: mixer2 on August 12, 2013, 09:02:27 PM
1024x768 (31,4 mb/s) or maybe 1088x816 (35,5 mb/s)... i would choose 1024x768 to be sure that it doesn't stop or skip frames after some minutes. the few extra pixels at 1088x816 shouldn't make much difference in quality. ml says continous recording ok, but for me it stopped after ~2 mins with 1088x816.
i can upload some 1024x768 sample shots tomorrow if they may help to judge the quality.

mixer2

@JohnBarlow:
ok, i'll send you some samples tomorrow...

@gary2013:
could you upload a sample... it's hard to guess what's going wrong, without seeing the result.
do you have removed the af dots? is it really noise or blue and pink dots (small crosses)? af dots go all over the image in crop mode and from left to right, but just in the middle in non crop mode.
raw video is btw always more noisy than h264, since h264 is already noise filtered in camera. you should use a good noise filter.

1%

QuoteI couldn't seem to find this, but does defishing supposed to work with EOS-M?

New Peaking
Defish
Anamorphic

All of these things need a good vsync to work in video mode. Right now only in photo review mode.

gravitatemediagroup

I have everything installed, ML is running, but when I try RAW video, the light starts blinking indicating it's recording? but no files show up on SD.

also, I have to re install the FW each time I reboot cam, is this a current issuing being worked around right now?

feureau

Quote from: 1% on August 13, 2013, 01:18:06 AM
New Peaking
Defish
Anamorphic

All of these things need a good vsync to work in video mode. Right now only in photo review mode.

I see! How do I trigger defish and anamorphic preview in photo review mode? Tried everything but nothing seems to work...

mixer2

@gary2013:
Try to remove the dots with this tool:
http://dl.dropbox.com/s/m0bxzd23p4zow8o/PinkDotRemover_2013_08_08.zip

you need to have java jre installed to run the tool. (you can find it there, if it isn't already installed http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp)
if java is installed unzip the PinkDotRemover and doubleclick onto the PinkDotRemover.jar file.
to remove dots just drag and drop the RAW or the DNGs files onto the white area at the left of the tool. you can also use the "Add files"-Button, instead of drag and drop. then select EOSM or Crop Mode from the dropdown.
you should have two types of video:
1. dots are all over the image + image is not vertically squeezed (=> Crop Mode)
2. dots are just in the center + image is vertically squeezed (=> EOSM)

be sure to select "interpolate" at the radio buttons below the dropdown.
then click "Convert Files". If you've added a RAW-file it gets overwritten (so you should make a copy first), if you added DNGs you should find in the same folder copys of the DNG files with a _ prefix. the dots should be gone in that new files.

cloud storages work very well to post images, video etc. for example dropbox, box.com, google drive (if you've already a google account), skydrive (if you've already microsoft/hotmail account), etc etc...
or upload it to a file bin service like this, as long as the files aren't to large (max 20MB):
http://www.qfpost.com/

as noise filter i prefer neat video. there are after effects and premiere plugins for it and it can be testet with a free demo.
but there are also a lot of other noise filters, also free ones, you can use. just do any noise filtering on raw video, since it has a lot of noise, even at iso 100.

JohnBarlow

I dont have EOSM, so can someone say what is max number of frames @24p 1280x720 in crop mode?

With fastest card

Thanks

mixer2

I  got 2897 Frames at 1280x720 24p, with 32gb sandisk extreme 45MB/s (=> the sd-controller is the bottleneck).
i'll do the flower testshot in few mins... just have to finish some work first.

Rush

Quote from: JohnBarlow on August 13, 2013, 02:58:37 PM
I dont have EOSM, so can someone say what is max number of frames @24p 1280x720 in crop mode?
unlimited
Greetings from Russia!

JohnBarlow

Thanks
Quote from: mixer2 on August 13, 2013, 03:28:13 PM
I  got 2897 Frames at 1280x720 24p, with 32gb sandisk extreme 45MB/s (=> the sd-controller is the bottleneck).
i'll do the flower testshot in few mins... just have to finish some work first.

JohnBarlow

JohnBarlow

One more question

Can you record avchd in 3x crop mode or is is just for RAW record?

Rush

Quote from: JohnBarlow on August 13, 2013, 03:35:26 PM
Impressive!, what card did you use?
SanDisk 95 mb/s

QuoteCan you record avchd in 3x crop mode or is is just for RAW record?
Yes, moire/aliasing-free 3x H.264.
Greetings from Russia!

mixer2

@rush:
have you tested it or trusted the ml prediction?

@JohnBarlow:
you can record h.264 in crop mode. looks bit softer than h.264 in non crop mode, since it's a 100% crop.
check the video i posted few posts above:
http://dl.dropbox.com/s/p1qo960nrhmcd7g/crop_vs_non_crop.webm
the 3rd part (sec 10-15) is h.264 55mm in non crop mode and 4th (sec 15-20) is h.264 18mm in crop mode.

feureau

Quote from: Rush on August 13, 2013, 05:00:00 PM
SanDisk 95 mb/s
Yes, moire/aliasing-free 3x H.264.

Is this the same movie crop mode in ML? I still get moire with this on. Have you tried shooting a test chart?

JohnBarlow

@rush, @mixer2

Thanks, very useful information on the crop modes, better aliasing in crop mode and maybe a sharper lens can improve things. The 22mm is supposed to have very sharp centre performance

To summarise in 3x ML crop mode you can
1 record h264 at 1080p, no PDR required
2 record RAW at 720p with a 95 MB card and use PDR

mixer2

@JohnBarlow:
i really don't think that the 95mb/s card would give you any benefit.

@feureau:
technically 100% crop doesn't mean no aliasing. i read that multiple times, but it's still a digital measurement, which means, if you're signal (the light that comes from the lense) has more detail than your sensor resolution you'll get aliasing effects.
since sensors have such high resolutions and lenses aren't that sharp, it's hard to get any aliasing with 100% crop. and it's definitely much better than without crop.

1%

On 6D I can record 720P continuously so I don't see why it wouldn't work here. Its pretty much the same controller.

mixer2

it stopped for me after 2897 frames...
6d may have more buffer? maybe if the speed slightly varyies the eos m just can't compensate it with the small buffer?

Quote from: 1% on June 07, 2013, 03:15:54 PM
Its like 6D controller.. so sandisk 45MB/s is the fastest..

and it stopped for me with sandisk 45MB/s.

1%

Possibly. 255M vs ~100M in photo mode on a good day.