Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhasersOnKill

Hi All,

New to this forum as I recently purchased an EOS M only to find that remote capture does not work.
This is a feature that would be supremely useful to me as I tend to do a lot of self filming for vlogs.

Is there any status update on where we're at with enabling this via ML?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

handbanana

Remote capture as in recording via EOS Utility?

PhasersOnKill

Quote from: handbanana on August 10, 2013, 12:29:46 AM
Remote capture as in recording via EOS Utility?

Correct. Or any software for that matter.

handbanana

Why don't you just use an external monitor via the HDMI or the other port (the red/yellow/white cable)?

Canon eos m

Quote from: freshbreath on August 09, 2013, 07:45:45 PM

About those instructions:

At this step, Clicking the big 'ML' icon first and then clicking save worked for me. The save was practically instant, nothing was written to the card. Should there have been?
So only the 'ML' folder is being copied to the root of the card (not the EOSM106.fir or autoexec.bin files that come with the Alpha1 zip)?  At this point, should the MODULES folder be moved inside the 'ML' folder? Remember that according to step 3, the MODULES folder and UpDaterM.fir were already transferred over.

So what am I doing wrong?

Keep the _MACOSX file also on the Card

Getting these combinations to work with the EOSCard utility for the EOS M is a bit tricky.

I think the steps that is not working for you is the save from the EOSCard. See the screen shot from the EOSCard after the SD is in the reader: http://www.flickr.com/photos/89977905@N05/9476620696/

(Sorry to point you to my flickr account. I don't know how to post a picture directly in-thread)  :P

The trick is to first refresh and then press save. Do it as many times as it takes. You will hit the sweet spot eventually. It took me a few tries too. 
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

PhasersOnKill

Quote from: handbanana on August 10, 2013, 02:40:43 AM
Why don't you just use an external monitor via the HDMI or the other port (the red/yellow/white cable)?

While this is a decent short term solution (thanks!) it still requires me to control from the camera which makes it a bit cumbersome.

That's why I was asking about remote view. Another thought I had was if it was possible to use an Eye-Fi card for remote view/control
over wifi?

1%

No boot flag, fir

if you had 1.06 make sure the card itself is bootable too (ie the EOSCARD step) for linux just run it in wine.

If you had 2.0.2 and no ML you need the fir file + ml folder/modules/sym

For the utility, it just may not work. The camera has to create jpegs in parallel to send over USB. Will have to log it and see.

markr041

Help: How do I set WB back to AUTO in ML. I set the Kelvin temperature and can change that but I no longer see AUTO as a choice. When I turn off the camera and do not boot into ML, I cannot change WB. The Wiki says nothing about getting back to AUTO.

I had to reset all settings to default in the Canon menu to get back WB control. Is this normal?

freshbreath

Quote from: Canon eos m on August 10, 2013, 03:13:01 AM
Keep the _MACOSX file also on the Card

Getting these combinations to work with the EOSCard utility for the EOS M is a bit tricky.

I think the steps that is not working for you is the save from the EOSCard. See the screen shot from the EOSCard after the SD is in the reader: http://www.flickr.com/photos/89977905@N05/9476620696/

(Sorry to point you to my flickr account. I don't know how to post a picture directly in-thread)  :P

The trick is to first refresh and then press save. Do it as many times as it takes. You will hit the sweet spot eventually. It took me a few tries too.

Ok, turns out I had it the first time. I see the ML menu when I use two fingers to touch the screen. The MACOSX folder did need to be copied over.

cameron12x

Quote from: 1% on August 10, 2013, 05:09:23 AM
No boot flag, fir

if you had 1.06 make sure the card itself is bootable too (ie the EOSCARD step) for linux just run it in wine.

If you had 2.0.2 and no ML you need the fir file + ml folder/modules/sym

For the utility, it just may not work. The camera has to create jpegs in parallel to send over USB. Will have to log it and see.

I think this is functionality that a LOT of people will want:  remote shooting.

Separate topic now.  I have the new EOS-M and it came with the 2.0.2 firmware installed.  I've gone through what I understand to be the ML installation process and I have these folders and files:

DCIM -- for photos
MISC -- currently empty
ML -- subfolders: DATA (contains FONTS.DAT file), MODULES (contains modules), SETTINGS (contains MAGIC.CFG file)
autoexec.bin  (381K)
UpDaterM.fir  (393K)

My MODULES sub-folder contains the following files:

EOSM_202.sym (34K)
ETTR.CFG (1K)
ettr.mo (17K)
file_man.mo (14K)
pic_view.mo (5K)
RAW_REC.CFG (1K)
raw_rec.mo (33K)

Are those the correct files for the MODULES sub-folder?  Do I have all of the needed files?

Also, what about a SYM sub-folder?  Is one needed?  If so, does it go under the MODULES folder?  And if so, what should it contain (and where to get the files)?

Note: when flashing the firmware (I have to do this every time I start the camera), I get the following message:

"ML/CROPMKS dir is missing"  What is this all about and how do I fix it?

*** Many thanks in advance for help with all of this ! ***

freshbreath

Quote from: cameron12x on August 10, 2013, 06:14:09 AM

Note: when flashing the firmware (I have to do this every time I start the camera), I get the following message:

"ML/CROPMKS dir is missing"  What is this all about and how do I fix it?

*** Many thanks in advance for help with all of this ! ***

In your case it seems to be looking for folders/files found in __MACOSX directory of the Alpha zip. Copy that over to the root directory of your SD card as well.

Canon eos m

Quote from: freshbreath on August 10, 2013, 06:03:00 AM
Ok, turns out I had it the first time. I see the ML menu when I use two fingers to touch the screen. The MACOSX folder did need to be copied over.

We're you able to get the ML update working on the EOSM?
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

cameron12x

Quote from: freshbreath on August 10, 2013, 06:28:19 AM
In your case it seems to be looking for folders/files found in __MACOSX directory of the Alpha zip. Copy that over to the root directory of your SD card as well.

Hmm...  interesting.  What do those folders/files do?  What do they have to do with "crop marks?"  Why __MACOSX?

freshbreath

Quote from: Canon eos m on August 10, 2013, 09:19:52 AM
We're you able to get the ML update working on the EOSM?

I did, thank you. Turns out I had done it right the first (or second) time. I was expecting the ML green install screen to show up but this method is a different type of install.

mixer2

a test i did today:
http://dl.dropbox.com/s/p1qo960nrhmcd7g/crop_vs_non_crop.webm

1. 18mm raw video crop mode (no sharpening, some saturation added)
2. 55mm raw video non crop mode (no sharpening, some saturation added), @handbanana: that's why i said, that non crop mode is just not usable
3. 55mm h.264 auto picture style
4. 18mm h.264 video crop mode auto picture style
5. same as 1. but with a lot sharpening
6. same as 3. with the same sharpening as 5.
7. same as 1. with noise reduction, additional saturation and a lot of sharpening

i should have added 3 more pixels to the letterbox at top and bottom to cut the distorted rows. -.-
what the video imho shows:
- h.264 crop mode is bit softer than h.264 but still usable and of course there is much less aliasing
- crop mode raw video on eos m looks really great... less aliasing than h.264 non crop mode and flat image that has imho a very cinematic look out of the box.
- again, raw non crop mode imho isn't usable!!
- h.264 also doesn't has perfect edges (if that lowers the expectations what you should get out of the raw)
- you can add a lot more sharpening to the raw video than to the h.264 in post, without overdoing it and getting to bad sharpening artifacts. this also leads to a sharper overall result.

EDIT:
something totally went wrong with my export from yesterday. hadn't really checked it after export and expected it to be nearly the same i saw in the editor. but as i watched the exported video today i saw that the quality was much worse, because the editing software exported 24i instead of 24p.
i did a fresh export and updated the link...

cameron12x

Quote from: cameron12x on August 10, 2013, 01:35:58 PM
Hmm...  interesting.  What do those folders/files do?  What do they have to do with "crop marks?"  Why __MACOSX?

Ok, I've created the CROPMKS folder under ML and placed a couple of cropmark (bmp) files there from the library.

I've selected one from the ML menu and have enabled cropmarks, but they don't show up in either video record mode or standard still image mode.  What might I be doing wrong?  Thanks!

CinB13

I played around with the ML successfully on my EOS-M... but I can't, for the life of me, get video in high-bit-rate or Raw video right on my part.

In order to do RAW, do I shot in Camera or Movie Mode, and do I shoot in the Menu button or LiveView (if so, where is the LiveView mode)?

Also, how do I obtain a slightly higher bit rate other than 45+.

Still a newbie at all of this, but quite fascinated so far.

haomuch

I know there are many people who are focusing on video and want make their camera to be a top tier video shooter. But can we also spend some time to improve the photo functions such as the magic room since this is a camera after all?

haomuch

And also we are really eager to see eyefi card support since the 5d2 ml has supported it.

1%

Well first I want to fix the installer... I have no eye-fi card so its kinda hard to test for something I haven't used. MZ and display filters are the next top fixes for this but they haven't been done for lack of trying.. its just kind of a tough nut to crack.

funkysound

Quote from: 1% on August 11, 2013, 09:08:08 PM
Well first I want to fix the installer...

Yes - that sounds like a very good idea! I guess it will help trying and testing the functions of ML on the EOS M without being irritated by just geting it to work somehow.  :)
Anyway ... it´s still fantastic to read how much efford you put in your ML work. Thanks!
EOS 600d, Tamron 17-50mm 2,8 with stab., Tamron 70-300mm, Canon 50mm 1:1,8, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5,6, Sigma 30mm 1,4,  EOS M with 18-55mm, 22mm and EF adapter, tons of more glases incl. FD/FL, EOS 70D, Canon 18-135mm STM

cameron12x

Quote from: gary2013 on August 11, 2013, 10:16:28 PM
+1 on fixing the installer. It's a real PIA always having to to install thru update firmware each time. :-) I have also asked a few easy questions here and no one ever answered. Is there another way to get into ML menus besides a two finger swipe? I only have one finger from a car accident and its difficult for me always needing to use two toes and leave a shoe off all the time. LOL J/K, but I would rather have the Menu button open ML menus. And, how do I exit ML menus? I have been waiting until it exits on its own. I would rather the menu stays open and then we hit some button to close the menus. The menus keep shutting off on me while I try to read and learn things within them. Then I have to swipe the display again with two toes to continue with where I left off. :-)

Gary

+1000!  Amen.

CinB13

Here's something I did using the ML Timelapse method.  The ungraded master I had (png to losless codec) was close to 1GB, were graded afterwards.

Anyways, I like the timelapse as a tester I did.

http://youtu.be/Tv1tgitfenM

JohnBarlow

Can someone say what is the largest 4:3 size that can be recorded in crop mode at 24p

I dont have EOSM.