Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

The 20MB/s SD cameras uprezzed OK, no reason why digic V won't.

cameron12x

Has anyone been able to use the intervalometer functionality on the EOS-M yet?

If so, are there any tricks?  Thanks!

mixer2

@gary2013:
non crop with max resolution and 2.39 aspect ratio is 1728x436.
the maximum continuous record speed you can get with eos m is ~35-36mb/s. and you'll get that speed with all fast sd cards, since the sd controller is much slower than the max write speeds of high speed sd cards.
if you want to be sure that the video doesn't stop even for longer recordings you imho shouldn't record above 34mb/s, even if it tells you that continuous recording works.
my prefered settings are: 1408x600 (2.35:1) in crop mode at 23.98fps (no fps override since it isn't needed in crop mode) 33,7mb/s and i use 32gb sandisk extreme 45mb/s card.

@handbanana:
don't know how 60D videos exactly look, but on my eos m videos without crop just aren't usable. why haven't you used a more vertical aspect ratio like 2.20:1 (32,7mb/s) or even 2:1 (36,1mb/s) should be possible with 1728 24fps.
do you want to show us the video?

@cameron12x:
intervalometer works for me just like expected.

xpstudio

@mixer2  I just tested your PinkDotRemover and works fine at 1408x600 (2.35:1) in crop mode  8)
EOS M 22mm | 18-35mm

handbanana

I recorded at the max res the EOS M lets you on a PNY Class 10 card. And I would upload but my internet is shite at the moment. How would a more vertical aspect ratio help at all? I thought the squeeze factor was the same, and I just prefer the look of 2.39.

Why do you say it is unusable? From my far from perfect test I think I'm getting more detail than from H264, and of course the latitude with raw is another bonus. I think I saw a couple jaggies on a string, but for what it's worth it's a small price to pay for other benefits. Maybe I'll notice it more in other subjects, but so far it's not a bad compromise for a $300 camera shooting raw. I'll have to try the crop mode, but I would much rather be able to use the whole sensor.

handbanana

here is a screen grab from the video

http://i.imgur.com/m52FyVe.jpg

Edit: Well, imgur really messed with the quality so this is a terrible example lol

mixer2

ah ok if you really wanted the exact 2.39 ratio, it's correct to record it. i just prefer to record maximum possible and if i decide in post, that i want a more horizontal aspect ratio it's easy to add a letterbox. the unused pixels can be helpful for finetuning vertical position in that case.
it won't btw use the "whole sensor" anyways. the pixels are just picked from the whole sensor area, instead of the center. but it does just use 753408 of the 17915904 pixels. ~4,2% of the sensor.
crop mode has all the benefits from non crop mode raw, but additionally looks really great. no jagging edges, much less aliasing. the downside is of course the additional crop factor that makes it hard to get wide angle shots or narrow depth of field.
try some shots with fine details, far away objects or hard edges and compare h.264, crop mode raw and non crop mode raw. then you'll see how much better crop mode works.

cameron12x

@mixer2:  Where are the instructions for the intervalometer?  It likes 10s is the only option?  I would think it would be more flexible than that.

Also, I get error loading symbol files, despite having the EOS_202.sym file in the MODULES folder.  Thanks!

mixer2

try tapping on the screen while the intervalometer option is highlighted in the ml menu. you should get into the submenu to configure the interval duration, an timer offset to start the recording, a time limit to stop recording and the settings for expo- and focusramp.

cameron12x

I can get to the sub-menu, no problem.  I don't see how to change the setting from 10s, once there, however.

sometimes

5. Open the EOSCard link from the installation section of the 5DMarkIII home page.
6. With the SD card in the card reader open the EOSCard utility.
7. Once in the EOSCard interface checkmark the 'EOS_Develop' and Bootdisk and press the big 'ML' icon and then press the 'save' icon on the top left of the EOSCard interface.
========================================================

Can anyone help me about step5~7 ? Because I don't understand what means........ :'(

mixer2

@cameron12x:
press set in the submenu and then turn the maindial or press left or right on the main dial to adjust the setting.

cameron12x

@mixer2:  Thanks for the baby steps.  I see how to do that now.

But how do I get the sequence to actually start?  I tried setting a test run of 4 images, and it looked like the intervalometer counted down and went through the process, but when I try to review images it says no images found?

1%

Its working normally on the actual autoexec.bin version. I can't attest to the signed version since people seem to be having issues.

cameron12x

What is the "signed version" and how does that affect the intervalometer?

1%

Signed version = fir
Normal version = autoexec.bin

If you're having to run the fir every time and got EOSM with 2.02 pre-installed then you're stuck with the signed version for now.

Henrik

So, here are the steps that I took, a slight modification along with correct links on Canon eos m instructions.

1. First soft format your SD card on your computer.
2. Then format the card on your EOS M. This will create the 'DCIM' and 'MISC' folders on the SD card.
3. Next download files from the bitbucket.org link (https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads/%5BEOSM202%5D%20FirstVersion-NoInstaller.zip) provided by 1% above on to your harddisk. Unzip the files and copy directly to your SD card.
4. Next copy the updaterM202.fir (link on page 33 of this thread) UpDaterM.fir (http://www.qfpost.com/file/d?g=NzBmhwaBK) on your SD card.
5. Open the EOSCard link from the installation section of the 5DMarkIII home page.
7. Once in the EOSCard interface checkmark the 'EOS_Develop' and Bootdisk and press the big 'ML' icon and then press the 'save' icon on the top left of the EOSCard interface.
8. Then copy the ML directory from the Alpha 1 (http://bit.ly/UP7Avg) version (you can find this on the EOS M home page). Unzip and copy the 'ML' folder on the SD card. Then transfer the 'Modules' files that you got from the bitbucket.
9. Make sure not to use the autoexe.bin file from Alpha 1 but autoexe.bin file you got the bitbucket.org link. (step 3)

Ive been using ML with 1.0.6 for a while. Im now trying to install the 2.0.2 version. Stupid question: Do I need to update the camera with canons 2.0.2 firmware prior to this, or is the formware upgrade "included" in any of the above files?

Ive followed the above guide, but I haven't upgraded the camera with canons 2.0.2. firmware, and all I get is a black screen and a blinking green diod after the update-screen.

Henrik

cameron12x

Quote from: 1% on August 09, 2013, 04:30:33 PM
Signed version = fir
Normal version = autoexec.bin

If you're having to run the fir every time and got EOSM with 2.02 pre-installed then you're stuck with the signed version for now.

My camera came with 2.0.2 pre-installed.

I have both of those files in my root folder.   Is that correct?

What does the signed version do differently from the autoexec.bin version?

1%

The signed version doesn't boot flag your camera. I think you can remove autoexec.bin in this case and just use the .fir every time, you're doing it anyway.

I have no way to test because my camera has the flag and boots off autoexec.bin at start. AFAIK this is how the 5D3/EOSM alpha worked. Someone has to try it.

Henrik

Quote from: Henrik on August 09, 2013, 04:57:00 PM
So, here are the steps that I took, a slight modification along with correct links on Canon eos m instructions.

1. First soft format your SD card on your computer.
2. Then format the card on your EOS M. This will create the 'DCIM' and 'MISC' folders on the SD card.
3. Next download files from the bitbucket.org link (https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads/%5BEOSM202%5D%20FirstVersion-NoInstaller.zip) provided by 1% above on to your harddisk. Unzip the files and copy directly to your SD card.
4. Next copy the updaterM202.fir (link on page 33 of this thread) UpDaterM.fir (http://www.qfpost.com/file/d?g=NzBmhwaBK) on your SD card.
8. Then copy the ML directory from the Alpha 1 (http://bit.ly/UP7Avg) version (you can find this on the EOS M home page). Unzip and copy the 'ML' folder on the SD card. Then transfer the 'Modules' files that you got from the bitbucket.
9. Make sure not to use the autoexe.bin file from Alpha 1 but autoexe.bin file you got the bitbucket.org link. (step 3)

Ive been using ML with 1.0.6 for a while. Im now trying to install the 2.0.2 version. Stupid question: Do I need to update the camera with canons 2.0.2 firmware prior to this, or is the formware upgrade "included" in any of the above files?

Ive followed the above guide, but I haven't upgraded the camera with canons 2.0.2. firmware, and all I get is a black screen and a blinking green diod after the update-screen.

Henrik

Installed the 2.0.2 update. ML works, but I have to re-flash it everytime I restart my camera. Is there any way to get around this?
I don't understand this whole bootflag thing. I thought that if I already had ML on 1.0.6 I wouldnt get this problem!?

If someone could explain it in an easy way I would be very greatful! :)

freshbreath

[EOSM202] zip file (bitbucket) (add .zip file extension)
contains MODULES folder + autoexec.bin
UpDaterM.fir file
contains single UpDaterM.fir file
magiclantern-EOSM.106.Alpha1.zip
contains __MACOSX and ML folders, autoexec.bin and EOSM106.fir files.
I believe only the ML folder is used for this install. Use the autoexec.bin from the [EOSM202] zip file.

Quote1. First soft format your SD card on your computer.
Ok, easy enough.

Quote3. Next download files from the bitbucket.org link (https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads/%5BEOSM202%5D%20FirstVersion-NoInstaller.zip) provided by 1% above on to your harddisk. Unzip the files and copy directly to your SD card.
So the MODULES folder + autoexec.bin gets copied straight to the root of the SD card at this point.

Quote4. Next copy the updaterM202.fir (link on page 33 of this thread) UpDaterM.fir (http://www.qfpost.com/file/d?g=NzBmhwaBK) on your SD card.
At this point, the root of the SD card would have the following, correct:

DCIM (folder)
MISC (folder)
MODULES (folder)
autoexec.bin
UpDaterM.fir

Quote5. Open the EOSCard link from the installation section of the 5DMarkIII home page.
At this step, Clicking the big 'ML' icon first and then clicking save worked for me. The save was practically instant, 'write successful' at the bottom of the window.

Quote8. Then copy the ML directory from the Alpha 1 (http://bit.ly/UP7Avg) version (you can find this on the EOS M home page). Unzip and copy the 'ML' folder on the SD card. Then transfer the 'Modules' files that you got from the bitbucket.
So only the 'ML' folder is being copied to the root of the card (not the EOSM106.fir or autoexec.bin files that come with the Alpha1 zip)?  At this point the MODULES folder should be moved inside the 'ML' folder and also copy over the _MACOSX folder to the root of the SD card.

All said and done, if the MODULES folder gets placed inside the ML folder, the root of the SD card will have the following:

_MACOSX (folder)
DCIM (folder)
MISC (folder)
ML (folder)
autoexec.bin
UpDaterM.fir

Clear your settings in the camera, go to the EOS firmware and update. After doing this, firmware update is very brief and if you don't see it right away, hitting the Info button takes you to the ML live screen. Touch the screen with two fingers and the ML menus will appear.

handbanana

@mixer2:

I'll compare it all next week, I have a bunch of planning for this shoot I'm directing (not to mention finishing this music video) to take up my time now lol.

I know the crop will probably be better detail, but the crop and lack of shallow depth are a bummer. I'll probably end up using them both as needed for shoots I use the EOS M for raw. As it stands now this camera is my best bet for raw video since my 60D and T2i have slow SD card controllers. If the non-crop raw on the M resolves more detail than the H264, then it will be a nice upgrade for now given that I'll get sharper images and more latitude. I don't necessarily even mind the H264 still as I still use it for a bunch of stuff, so we'll see how useful raw even is for me. Also I have no idea how to use the pixel remover thing lol.

wuxiekeji

What does this EOSCard utility do exactly and what are the equivalent steps for a Linux user? Thanks!

EVVK

@ wuxiekeji I was on the same boat too.

Found solution under "Installing Magic Lantern on other cards" subject here:
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified/Install
make_bootable.sh

ExFAT is completly broken and at least Ubuntus fuse based exFAT refuses to even mount the card after trying so FATxx is the way to go.